Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Simon_Vessey/status/1372166627425419267?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's more deluded Empire bullshit where having nukes proves that Britain's still important and someone like Corbyn coming out and bluntly saying that nukes are dumb and he'd never use them sends the gammons into a frothing rage of bruised egos.

yeah for the UK in specific this is why you've got nukes at all, A-Lister back in WW2 and gotta keep that UN security seat and maintain the notion that the UK's a big boy country

that nukes are coming up a lot in your domestic politics is very likely just a reflection of increasing insecurity about international relations and dealing with that through chest beating rather than adaptation

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1372193706166652935?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

brexit

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1372169441690185728?s=20

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Gotta think about the nuke thing in the british way

"If we claim a piece of land as our own and there are people already living there, technically they are invading our land since we say it's ours"

Now the brits can nuke them to get off their land

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Those vaccines will be put to much better use rotting unused in a German fridge I'm sure

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/TheNewEuropean/status/1372113043065344000?s=20

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

They have now entered the bargaining stage

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Guys I checked the diamat and it says the nukes are a government spending project, because its acceptable and seen as necessary to funnel billions of pounds of public money into a worthless, fascist tchotchke built by private interests .

AFAIK all the british nukes are american in origin, so really its just boris and the boys accepting that the protection money went up.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

hahahaha remember last time people thought the lib dems would help labour and then went tory as soon as they were in a kingmaker position

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the best bit of 2017 was this oval office realising his political ambitions were dead

https://twitter.com/SKinnock/status/1372111673830600707?s=20

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean I know you mean like trucks but Metal Gear is to easy to picture

Oh man, imagine a British made Metal Gear

they would give it to jeremy clarkson because metal gear sounds like top gear and then he would ramp it across the channel and annihilate paris

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

gonadic io posted:

We must protect our Cornish lithium reserves

And our stockpile of sex arses.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

multijoe posted:

Those vaccines will be put to much better use rotting unused in a German fridge I'm sure

It is very funny that the UK is getting punished even when it does something alright now

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

when you're definitely not pressed.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
A progressive alliance is not a terrible idea as long as it's purely for the purposes of getting PR

Like gently caress Keith and the right will loose their grip enough for that though

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Lib Dems also do not have a good track record of entering coalitions for the express purpose of electoral reform either

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sebastianepayne/status/1372217904926765062?s=21

Read through the whole email. It's amazing.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

bedpan posted:

I've no doubt these men all have very strong opinions on the importance of Britain's nuclear deterrent

Jesus. Even the ones who can tan look like pork.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valko posted:

Jesus. Even the ones who can tan look like pork.

It's statins, op

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gammon Nation

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Statin Island

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Watching those guys live was loving nightmarish, Corbyn was visibly baffled that these guys actively seemed to want to initiate a nuclear holocaust to prove our nation is still hard. Like, what the gently caress do you do with a nation who have an entire generation wired like that?

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

multijoe posted:

Watching those guys live was loving nightmarish, Corbyn was visibly baffled that these guys actively seemed to want to initiate a nuclear holocaust to prove our nation is still hard. Like, what the gently caress do you do with a nation who have an entire generation wired like that?

It wasn't even having nukes, they wanted a committment to use them in a preemptive first strike. madness.

You could see the relief in Corbyn's face when that young women spoke up against nuclear armageddon and she got a large cheer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I already felt nauseous all day without looking at that picture.
:barf:

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Our sensible European betters #fbpe

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Are these the people that the progressive alliance is looking to defeat?

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean I know you mean like trucks but Metal Gear is to easy to picture

Oh man, imagine a British made Metal Gear

Gammonmachines?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

gonadic io posted:

North Korea obviously

It's gonna be pretty weird dealing with an isolationist repressed backwater with an obsessive hereditary cult. But I'm sure North Korea will manage.

kecske posted:

Statin Island

lmao

Grape has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Mar 17, 2021

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

JoylessJester posted:

It wasn't even having nukes, they wanted a committment to use them in a preemptive first strike. madness.

You could see the relief in Corbyn's face when that young women spoke up against nuclear armageddon and she got a large cheer.

Yeah, iirc their puce-inducing rage was because Corbyn said that a) he wouldn't launch a first strike (seriously, what even half-sane leader of a major world power would actually say on national TV that yes, they would launch the nukes first??) and that b) he didn't see the point in launching a retaliatory strike once the UK had been turned to glass, everyone was dead, the British state had ceased to exist and the deterrent effect of the UK's nukes had demonstrably failed.

The gammon men were still angrily badgering him to commit to adding millions more to the death toll in that situation.

Of course, Corbyn's underlying point was that if you're not going to launch first and you're not actually going to launch second (but you none the less have to maintain the fiction that you definitely will launch second to maintain the MAD balance) then that makes the whole idea of nuclear weapons pointless as well as horrifying.

Like most of JC's nuanced and logical positions on things, the gammon men didn't like them because it gave them bad feelings in their tummies and made the idea that they might have been wrong at some point in their life briefly flash through their brain, and self-reflection cannot be permitted.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Southpaugh posted:

AFAIK all the british nukes are american in origin, so really its just boris and the boys accepting that the protection money went up.

The warheads are British, it's the Trident missiles that are American (in a common pool with the USN, even).

pdog
May 7, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

Gotta think about the nuke thing in the british way

"If we claim a piece of land as our own and there are people already living there, technically they are invading our land since we say it's ours"

Now the brits can nuke them to get off their land

The Chagos Islanders would, sadly, completely agree with this

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lobster God posted:

The warheads are British, it's the Trident missiles that are American (in a common pool with the USN, even).

oh lol, so that means that all the targeting and software is american too? so if 2024 trump goes rogue there’s no way we can target washington dc and defend ourselves?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I don't agree with Frank but at least he stands for his beliefs.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I don't agree with Frank but at least he stands for his beliefs.

Really? I find he side steps some issues.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

JoylessJester posted:

Really? I find he side steps some issues.

what are you talking about, he's got about as firm a grasp as anyone

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
https://mobile.twitter.com/huwlemmey/status/1372120921687867392

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at tony blair's number for labour and libdems

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’m the labour voter voting for boris johnson

Adbot