Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also people still believe pop stars aren't carefully focus grouped human puppets and that they write their own songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
gently caress bitcoin, y'all need to buy into Squier Baritone Jazzmasters. One just hit UK FB Market at £1000, which by my calculations is about 60% increase from the already overpriced one from last week. To the moon! :rolleyes:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

gently caress bitcoin, y'all need to buy into Squier Baritone Jazzmasters. One just hit UK FB Market at £1000, which by my calculations is about 60% increase from the already overpriced one from last week. To the moon! :rolleyes:

They made an alternate reality tenor tele a couple of years ago that got bought up immediately then doubled in price.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I made $500 on my Baritone Jazzmaster. Sold my Tenor Tele for a slight profit, too, but should have waited a little to hit maximum stupid.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I should have bought an Erlewine lazer years back for not a lot of money but didn't and regret it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This guys kit sounds better than a lot of drummers I've played with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAeRROlCL5E

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

This guys kit sounds better than a lot of drummers I've played with
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAeRROlCL5E

This is heavy poo poo. I love it.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Reading the YouTube comments Mike Portnoy is working on getting him set up with a real kit.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thumposaurus posted:

Reading the YouTube comments Mike Portnoy is working on getting him set up with a real kit.

Good things are possible?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Awww

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I'll let my Baritone Jazzmaster go when I'm cold and dead in the ground.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

that guy can absolutely play

way better than me, deffo

in other stupid music poo poo news, I guess this is a good thing?

democratizing the cloning process?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I would have preferred it without the centaur logo on the box so o can draw my own childlike looking Horseyman to match the internal soldering.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

draw a hat on him

or a dick idgaf

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Honestly if you're not drawing gigantic hairy balls and a comically large, vascular squirty dick on the Centaur, what are you even doing?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Honestly if you're not drawing gigantic hairy balls and a comically large, vascular squirty dick on the Centaur, what are you even doing?

Dickbutt centaur

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

massive spider posted:

I would have preferred it without the centaur logo on the box so o can draw my own childlike looking Horseyman to match the internal soldering.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

i'd run this

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Exhibit 1A in the case of Drinking Problem v Drinking Solution.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It bums me out that DIY pedal kits are always equal to/more expensive than an average clone pedal. I'd like to gently caress around with one, but IMO it's pointless to take on the risks associated with assembling a pedal without an attendant drop in price.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Pedal kits seem less like a "get this pedal for cheap" and more like a "I want to build something cool and have something I put together"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lester Shy posted:

It bums me out that DIY pedal kits are always equal to/more expensive than an average clone pedal. I'd like to gently caress around with one, but IMO it's pointless to take on the risks associated with assembling a pedal without an attendant drop in price.

I agree with SM, building your own kit is a chance to experiment with customizing and personalizing as well as good ol' "how does this work and why do things sound the way they do?"

It'd be impossible for someone to package a Rat deluxe kit with all the docs and parts and shipping and make any sort of living/profit and be competitive with a Mosky Black Rat ($30!).

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 17, 2021

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Lester Shy posted:

It's cheaper than buying a reasonable version of a pedal (there are a few components that actually make a difference that will generally be better in a kit) and a Lego set / model airplane / whatever else keeps your hands busy while you listen to podcasts.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

It bums you out that people selling things have overheads to cover?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Chalupa Joe posted:

I can see what they mean, on the face of it one might think that without assembly a pedal might be substantially cheaper.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

You really should see what Aion FX does:

https://aionfx.com/kits/

Look at the build document for the Klon:

https://aionfx.com/app/files/docs/refractor_kit_documentation.pdf

Then consider they do a fair bit of actual support/hand-holding that they aren't really required to do but ends up building great, lasting relationships that make people feel good about building things and sharing with others.

It's impressive stuff and still a pretty great value imo, especially for something that's somewhat "complex" like a Centaur.

They even put together the mouser parts lists for you and provide ancillary documentation you don't even necessarily require and organize it really well:

(Lab L5 PCB project: https://aionfx.com/project/l5-preamp/)

...then again some kit packagers just throw some poo poo in a bag and wish you luck... with getting the right parts/legible docs/working pcb/etc. lol :(

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Building stuff gets cheaper the more stuff you're willing/able to do yourself.
If you learn how to build on vero board or etch your own PCBs it gets cheaper.
The most expensive parts are usually the box, jacks, knobs, pots, switches etc...

Scavenge knobs and boxes from other electronics or poo poo like altoids tins for smaller stuff. I use electrical junction boxes to build in a lot. You just have to get creative if you want to be cheap.

The more you do yourself the more you have to know how to trouble shoot.
Kits you're buying the luxury of knowing things should work if you put it together like they say.
If you totally do it yourself you're on your own.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chalupa Joe posted:

Pre-COVID, you could buy a DIY guitar kit for 1/4th the price of a no-name import guitar. It'd be cool if it worked that way for pedals. Instead, you can buy the Klon clone kit for $45 or an assembled Klon clone for $26.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You really should see what Aion FX does:

These are cool and a lot more appealing than the "bags of components" you see all over eBay.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
If you just want a cheap pedal, then buy the clone? Commercial pedals are made on automated assembly lines, and in terms of the broader electronics industry they're still a low volume niche product, there isn't really a realistic way to hand assemble them and have it be cheaper.

My further 2c which is probably just repeating Thumposaurus/Bhabi's posts:

Electronic components are generally cheap (in quantity).
Getting pedal sized PCBs made is around $5 + shipping for ten.
In general the stuff inside the box is usually less than :10bux: assuming you're not using hand-selected germanium transistors, rare BBD chips etc.
Things get expensive from here...

The user facing mechanical parts: enclosure, switches, jacks, pots, knobs is where the majority of the component cost is.

From experience, 80-90% of the actual cost is time spent experimenting, sourcing parts/materials, figuring out a board layout, shipping (especially at the moment),
Once you've done all of that, the costs of actually putting everything together is almost an afterthought.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 18, 2021

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
You buy a kit or two to get comfortable then you start working from schematics. It gets cheaper but then you get ambitious and dump your money down the Eurorack hole or start a pedal company.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
DIY is more about intangible things like learning about how particular circuits work (so you can bend them to your will :getin:), and the satisfaction which comes from "I made this thing, and it works!" than saving money.

That said, making your own version of a long discontinued japanese fuzz where the cheapest ones on ebay are over a grand is probably cheaper.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

hexwren posted:

that guy can absolutely play

way better than me, deffo

in other stupid music poo poo news, I guess this is a good thing?

democratizing the cloning process?

I picked up a pre-built one off Aliexpress. I don't know or care if it sounds like a real one, but it genuinely sounds pretty good and has bonus entertainment value if you feed a Miku Stomp into it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

donut
Feb 4, 2001

What is that, JB Weld? Under tension? That'll last like 10 minutes strung up.

Not to impugn the craftsmanship or decision making skills of someone that would do something like that of course.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The dude behind these is fantastic and inspired

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drK9RyKmc1A

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 21, 2021

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
The Gear Page is just endless entertainment:

quote:

How important is pedal COLOUR to you?

The reason I ask is because this week I have found myself selling off my BD-2 Boss Blues Driver.
Not because it didnt sound good, but because I fell inlove with my Boss CS2 again and cant have them on the same pedalboard..
2 blue boss pedals with 3 knobs? I cant do that.

I've even modified my boards so there wouldnt be too much of one colour...
I can't have too many black pedals even of they have different colour trim. I need my lineup of gadgets to accurately represent all sections of the rainbow...i'm exaggerating, but kinda not.

Maybe its because I only ever use 3-4 pedals at a time..

Am I an a**hole? Do I suffer from a weird type of OCD?
Anybody else share my struggles?

Try lining up a Boss BD2, Boss CS2, MXR Bluebox; and tell me your not staring down at blue, soulless, boredom..
no matter how they sound.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
IF you're ever listening to something so loud that you can feel the vibrations with your body and aren't wearing earplugs you should probably go talk to an audiologist and get fitted for a hearing aid or talk about possible tinnitus treatments

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

homewrecker posted:

The Gear Page is just endless entertainment:

i agree with homie, i've sold pedals i liked the sound of because i didn't really enjoy the enclosures (most boss pedals, except my bf-2 because i like that purple). there's sooo many good guitar pedals, why waste time with one you don't enjoy an aspect of?

the aesthetics are an important part of the experience; if you have to look at something while you turn knobs, it might as well be something you enjoy looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.
Well I live in a different world because my pedals look like this