Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm kind of surprised this doesn't happen more often honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am curious if he was at the 6th and thats why he was wanted.

Carew posted:

Can someone verify if this is real? This is that cop running interference for the shooter.

https://twitter.com/RichPhelps/status/1372257212966440960?s=20

I think this is him and I don't have Facebook. People are saying the post is still up:

https://www.facebook.com/jay.baker.37

yeah, least surprising twist. it wouldnt shock me if the dude legit told the suspect "i feel you man" and tried to fist bump him or some poo poo.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/FridaGhitis/status/1372240592332283914?s=19

https://twitter.com/intewig/status/1372193604693716998?s=19

The Korean community in Atlanta is reporting that it's racially motivated. Second twitter link is for the translations and more articles linked in the thread.

Sounds like the cops are lying by omission

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Riptor posted:

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but I'm trying to understand why these anti-Asian attacks seem to be ramping up now. Was there some call to action on some lovely subreddit or something? I get that Trump's & co's "China virus" and countless other statements has fomented anti-Asian racism, but it seems like between random street assaults plus obviously these shootings, there seems to be an escalation from thoughts to actions recently - which, even if you put yourself in the horrendous mindset of "Asian = coronavirus = bad", what part of that reached some critical mass recently?

Or is it just a case that this stuff has been happening and it's only being reported on now, so it seems like there's an acceleration where really it's just been bubbling under the surface of the media's awareness/willingness to report?

It has been brewing. Conservative social media of all ages and inclinations is saturated in a new anti-asian messaging that grew naturally out of Trump's general racism and sinophobia and the new cultural fear of china. (and, of course, the old racism of just thinking asians are weird and funny model minorities). conservative news media took that sinophobia and ran with it for outrage messaging and needing to stay tough on china like trump is 'tough' on china (aka, with racism).

then it filters back to conservative social media as more unrepentant racism.

and as you can imagine they make little effort to differentiate between someone from china versus someone of chinese descent who has lived in america their whole life versus literally any other asian. so we're all basically on the hook for it and we get screeched at and it had already been making me somewhat depressed.

so something like this is not really a surprise ... he didn't see them as human. not fully. he blamed them for his sex addiction, like an objectified vice. he though he could just get rid of them and it was equivalent to flushing his drugs or something. it won't end with him, these cycles always play out rougher than that, and it's not like i wasn't expecting AAPI to become targets of lethal hatred based off the conservative social media cycles.

so, i mean, no surprise here. but it still hit me hard enough i did cry about it a bit before moving on. but yeah that's what's been going on. it always goes back to trends you can watch in how conservatives talk and meme to each other in their isolated environments.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Now before anyone freaks out and jumps to conclusions the long gun may have been the type to load with stripper clips so saying "gun clips" may actually be accurate.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Can someone give me a summary about Glenn Greenwald? I would look elsewhere but I really don't know where.

Why does he often seem so racist, sexist, and just hateful? Isn't he supposed to be a leftist?

Why is he always on Tucker Carlson's show? Why does Tucker want him there and why does Greenwald want to be there?

Why does he hate any mention of Russia? Obviously there's a lot of links between Trump and Russia, obviously Russia meddled in the election, they are human rights abusers... Why so hostile to criticism of Russia?

What are some of his best hits that make so many people hate him?

IK NOTE:

hey if people want to respond to this, please do so in the purpose made 'temporary post about glenn greenwald thread' here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962510

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 17, 2021

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

KitConstantine posted:

The Korean community in Atlanta is reporting that it's racially motivated. Second twitter link is for the translations and more articles linked in the thread.

Sounds like the cops are lying by omission

Or, honestly, the cops just don't know yet. I wouldn't be surprised if this were racially motivated, but my quick read on the thing is just that, at the time the police spox made the statement, they didn't have much info but figured they had to say something, so just repeated what the suspect told them.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Carew posted:

Can someone verify if this is real? This is that cop running interference for the shooter.

I think this is him and I don't have Facebook. People are saying the post is still up:

Yeah no conflict of interest on the investigating officer here!

Along with information from the witnesses that he said he's going to kill all asians, pretty sure the sympathetic sheriff is trying to cover up a hate crime.

I mean he even said "oh the guy was fed up" and "having a bad day"

Of course: frustration and a bad day completely explain going in with a gun and committing a mass shooting! (If you're a white dude)

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
loving cop came in today, took his mask off the second i turned around and his ringtone is just a long fart that sounds like trump saying "i approve this message"
people are such loving cowards they refuse to wear a mask because someone might judge them but they'll slap their lovely opinions onto anything else.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

small butter posted:

Can someone give me a summary about Glenn Greenwald? I would look elsewhere but I really don't know where.

Why does he often seem so racist, sexist, and just hateful? Isn't he supposed to be a leftist?

Why is he always on Tucker Carlson's show? Why does Tucker want him there and why does Greenwald want to be there?

Why does he hate any mention of Russia? Obviously there's a lot of links between Trump and Russia, obviously Russia meddled in the election, they are human rights abusers... Why so hostile to criticism of Russia?

What are some of his best hits that make so many people hate him?

hey if people want to respond to this, please do so in the purpose made 'temporary post about glenn greenwald thread' here instead of creating yet another huge uspol greenwald derail

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3962510

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Richard Shelby and 13 other Senate Republicans say they will support efforts to impeach Joe Biden if he does not follow through with the building of Trump's border wall.

Biden rescinded Trump's executive order declaring a national emergency, which let him take other funds authorized for national defense and divert them, to build the wall. He has returned the unused funds taken with the executive order back to their original programs and intends to let the other funds authorized by congress remain in the treasury. Republicans say that the money was authorized for the wall and he must finish the job. Biden's office of legal council says that the money was authorized, but did not require the President to finish building it. Republicans argue that they didn't require it because Trump was President, but the obvious intent of congress was for the wall to be built.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/prime/where-things-stand-march-17-2021-56-days-serious-gop-hinting-impeachment

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Richard Shelby and 13 other Senate Republicans say they will support efforts to impeach Joe Biden if he does not follow through with the building of Trump's border wall.

Biden rescinded Trump's executive order declaring a national emergency, which let him take other funds authorized for national defense and divert them, to build the wall. He has returned the unused funds taken with the executive order back to their original programs and intends to let the other funds authorized by congress remain in the treasury. Republicans say that the money was authorized for the wall and he must finish the job. Biden's office of legal council says that the money was authorized, but did not require the President to finish building it. Republicans argue that they didn't require it because Trump was President, but the obvious intent of congress was for the wall to be built.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/prime/where-things-stand-march-17-2021-56-days-serious-gop-hinting-impeachment

meh, half of me expects Republicans to (try to) impeach Biden regardless, with the expectation now that it will happen for every Dem president in the future....

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I thought Mexico was gonna pay for it, what are they so mad about funding cuts for it

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I mean the Republicans have repeatedly made the impeachment process a joke, so add it to the pile.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Kibayasu posted:

Now before anyone freaks out and jumps to conclusions the long gun may have been the type to load with stripper clips so saying "gun clips" may actually be accurate.

Hmm, lets think about whats more likely.

1. Man wanted by capital police using a WW2 era M1/SKS/whatever
2. an AR-15

The proliferation of cheap assault weapons have made it incredibly easy for your average white nationalist to try to carry out incidents of mass murder.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

I'm sure the House will get right on that.

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

https://twitter.com/jsrailton/status/1372300881232867333?s=20

Seems like this kind of poo poo is common place now.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I have finally caught up to the thread and as both a Filipino and in FL this past couple of events has hit hard

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Did the police ever say Seung-Hui Cho was having a bad day? Don't think they did.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The very first thing they said was that it was probably a lovers’ quarrel that ended badly, and they then quit investigating for a while until the screaming got too loud and the 911 calls started getting through.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I mean, "having a bad day"??? Are you loving kidding me?

If you're Black they'll kill you for possibly passing a fake bill. If you're white, they will excuse a loving mass murder. It's absolutely disgusting; there can be no reforming this institution, it needs to be burnt to the ground.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Saint Celestine posted:

Hmm, lets think about whats more likely.

1. Man wanted by capital police using a WW2 era M1/SKS/whatever
2. an AR-15

The proliferation of cheap assault weapons have made it incredibly easy for your average white nationalist to try to carry out incidents of mass murder.

I’m not a gun person but I thought it was a joke about people getting mad about the use of incorrect terminology by laymen in the media. That tends to set gun people (like every hobbyist when the media can’t get their poo poo straight) off.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Carew posted:

Buzzfeed has it...
https://twitter.com/Walldo/status/1372310804549226496?s=19

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

DreamingofRoses posted:

I’m not a gun person but I thought it was a joke about people getting mad about the use of incorrect terminology by laymen in the media. That tends to set gun people (like every hobbyist when the media can’t get their poo poo straight) off.

I missed the sarcasm.

However, if its any indication of whats going on behind the scenes in this country -

AR-15s are sold out everywhere, and most common calibers are either sold out or selling for 5-10 times the price in limited quantities.

5.56 is past a buck a round, which is insane.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DreamingofRoses posted:

I was also utilizing the recent reminder because of the shooting to not freak out and jump to conclusions over tweets that may not be accurate or at best incomplete in my dumb joke.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Shocking the cop is a racist fuckwit covering for a racist terrorist.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1372308577889697797

Lauren Boebert and Madison Cawthorn voted yes by mistake?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

It's amazing that the GOP Senators have no concept of how our government remotely works.

Like you should know this by now dipshits: impeachment starts in the House. You don't control the House.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I mean, if you didn't have one already, there's your loving list of Republicans complicit in 1/6 to start investigating.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

TulliusCicero posted:

It's amazing that the GOP Senators have no concept of how our government remotely works.

Like you should know this by now dipshits: impeachment starts in the House. You don't control the House.

They almost certainly know that, political theater is a huge part of politics.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Shocking the cop is a racist fuckwit covering for a racist terrorist.

This reminds me

This photo is from well before he was identified, so I'm assuming he's in custody here. Where the hell are the cuffs?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tayter Swift posted:

This reminds me

This photo is from well before he was identified, so I'm assuming he's in custody here. Where the hell are the cuffs?

It was a photo released by the Sheriff's office while he was still a POI, taken some other time prior to his arrest.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tayter Swift posted:

no, that's just a photo from social media. there is a proper booking photo of him out there

apparently they were able to identify the guy pretty quickly (probably from surveillance footage which captured both his face and license plate) and his mugshot wasn't taken until after he was captured, as he was caught by police in an entirely different jurisdiction a couple hours further south from where the crimes took place. the cops in that distant location were notified to be looking for a certain vehicle, meaning there was probably a good enough idea of who he was to pull face shots off social profiles to distribute for identification

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

James Garfield posted:

they are probably somehow dumb enough to think that if/when poo poo comes out that they activley helped the traitors that this means they didnt mean it. or something.

PT6A posted:

I mean, "having a bad day"??? Are you loving kidding me?

If you're Black they'll kill you for possibly passing a fake bill. If you're white, they will excuse a loving mass murder. It's absolutely disgusting; there can be no reforming this institution, it needs to be burnt to the ground.

well see they can sympathize because when they are mad, they just beat the poo poo out of someone and or kill someone.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Frasier reboot not off to a great start

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

And? I think we all know that the senate doesn’t impeach and the house requires a majority vote to make the impeachment. So, again, and? There is no there there.

Giving this nonsense the time to repeat it is just giving them a platform they don’t deserve.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1372328216636108800?s=20

I give this lasting till the end of summer.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Frasier reboot not off to a great start

Nice.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

same. Dan Bongino is way way too openly racist. like he got fired from NRA TV for saying hosed up poo poo. he will gently caress up and get quietly replaced by some other homegrown ghoul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

same. Dan Bongino is way way too openly racist. like he got fired from NRA TV for saying hosed up poo poo. he will gently caress up and get quietly replaced by some other homegrown ghoul.
Alway thought Mark Steyn had the dismissive whites under attack thing sewed up.