Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

YIKES

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Spoiler for the Justice League video posted above

How the gently caress fast was that car going that it skids AND flips AND explodes upon hitting the rear end-end of a truck?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Iris really should have been wearing a seat belt. That's, like, driving 101.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey guys, don't post leaks in this thread. Come on. You should know better.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Debating on whether to drink a nice jar of piss granny's peach tea for Snyder JL tomorrow.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I definitely bought beer

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Who wants Hot Dogs?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

site posted:

I definitely bought beer

Same!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The United States posted:

Who wants Hot Dogs?

I feel like posting a spoiler, having that spoiler deleted by a mod, and then making a thinly veiled reference to that spoiler, is breaking the spirit, if not the letter of the law

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The rule only says you have to use spoiler tags for unreleased stuff.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I want at least 20 minutes dedicated to flashbacks of Lex drinking so little water that the slow sloshing mixture in that jar comes to bear, all in glorious 4:3 slo mo.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Y'know, I didn't mind the wheelchair bomb, because the answer to "is Lex Luthor clever enough to make a bomb Superman can't find even if he's looking for it" is always yes, that's Lex 101. But when Superman's reaction is to not even try to help but just stand there and watch everyone die, and then he flies away rather than assist with search and rescue or putting out the fires or even just telling the cops what hapepned, and then people have the stones to say Snyder gets Superman as a character... hoo boy.

BvS actually gets Lex right on paper, much more than any other character, and I'm still sore it hosed it up so utterly in execution that it poisoned the well, because Lex is long overdue for a Man of Steel-style reboot (corporate raider codes old now, mid 60s or 70s at least, and Lex should always be a contemporary of Superman) and Intentionally Evil Elon Musk was exactly the right idea. Not only is it a cleaner fit with the battlesuit-y, mad scientist, can cure cancer but only if it'll piss off Superman somehow side of Lex -- corporate raiders don't create jack poo poo -- but it lends itself so loving perfectly to satire. Lex isn't invading Metropolis with killer robots, he's pursuing AI-driven shifts in law enforcement paradigms while moving fast and breaking things. Lex isn't loading train cars full of genetically-engineered monsters, he's providing a private transport option for valued LexCorp employees. And by having Superman oppose that, you bring Superman more in line with his populist roots. It's a win/win.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a deleted scene of him saving people I think?

Probably not the best one to delete.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

Y'know, I didn't mind the wheelchair bomb, because the answer to "is Lex Luthor clever enough to make a bomb Superman can't find even if he's looking for it" is always yes, that's Lex 101. But when Superman's reaction is to not even try to help but just stand there and watch everyone die, and then he flies away rather than assist with search and rescue or putting out the fires or even just telling the cops what hapepned, and then people have the stones to say Snyder gets Superman as a character... hoo boy.

BvS actually gets Lex right on paper, much more than any other character, and I'm still sore it hosed it up so utterly in execution that it poisoned the well, because Lex is long overdue for a Man of Steel-style reboot (corporate raider codes old now, mid 60s or 70s at least, and Lex should always be a contemporary of Superman) and Intentionally Evil Elon Musk was exactly the right idea. Not only is it a cleaner fit with the battlesuit-y, mad scientist, can cure cancer but only if it'll piss off Superman somehow side of Lex -- corporate raiders don't create jack poo poo -- but it lends itself so loving perfectly to satire. Lex isn't invading Metropolis with killer robots, he's pursuing AI-driven shifts in law enforcement paradigms while moving fast and breaking things. Lex isn't loading train cars full of genetically-engineered monsters, he's providing a private transport option for valued LexCorp employees. And by having Superman oppose that, you bring Superman more in line with his populist roots. It's a win/win.

one of the things that really turned me off about bvs when i rewatched it is that eisenberg's luthor isn't charismatically evil but instead is like, his zuckerberg but now also extremely rapey and it makes every scene super uncomfortable to watch and not in an interesting way

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I really didn't see a lot of overlap in Eisenberg's Luthor and Zuck performances beyond the superficial tech billionaire wrapper.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CapnAndy posted:

Superman literally brings someone over to the medics in the ultimate edition. Who knows who else he helped. That’s the version Snyder wanted people to see before WB meddled. The explosion was gonna kill everyone no matter what. He had zero idea it was even there.

Hoo boy indeed. Superman isn’t a god. Superman can’t save every single soul.

quote:

Lex Luthor : See, what we call God depends upon our tribe, Clark Jo, 'cause God is tribal. God takes sides. No man in the sky intervened when I was a boy to deliver me from Daddy's fist and abominations. I figured out way back if God is all-powerful, He cannot be all good. And if He is all good, then He cannot be all-powerful. And neither can you be.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

AngryBooch posted:

I really didn't see a lot of overlap in Eisenberg's Luthor and Zuck performances beyond the superficial tech billionaire wrapper.

maybe that's a bad analogy, but like, someone who is actively off-putting to be around

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The WB meddling narrative is for Justice League, please review the updated script.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aphrodite posted:

The WB meddling narrative is for Justice League, please review the updated script.

This is from 2016:

https://batman-news.com/2016/06/28/batman-v-superman-3-hours-warner-bros-no/

It was the version he wanted then WB said too long.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

He... does stay to assist with search and rescue though? This scene takes place sometime after the blast and presumably he got a lot of those other people out.

e:fb

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

But did he smile while doing it? 🤔🤔

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

On top of ALL of that, Superman is breathing in vaporized piss. It's EVERYWHERE.

Vintersorg posted:

This is from 2016:

https://batman-news.com/2016/06/28/batman-v-superman-3-hours-warner-bros-no/

It was the version he wanted then WB said too long.

If it was THAT important for Snyder to add in, why didn't he make a cut somewhere else like I dunno, the vehicular homicide Batman commits, Batman training sequence, the nightmare of Bruce opening up the goopy Wayne crypt, Superman looking sad amongst throngs of people slo mo grasping for him? It's a nothing scene out of many that doesn't matter if you only see it once, if you want to show the dichotomy between your Bat of Gotham and Man of Steel show Superman saving people all the time IN DAYLIGHT, people showing gratitude, have your psycho murdering Bat of Gotham branding people and what not. That at least shows they are opposites, not the both of them being same loving mopey murder machines with Martha hangups.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 17, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Something that I think gets lost in these discussions is that on some level, if these moments aren't making any lasting impression on a viewer, then for that viewer, that moment failed. It didn't stand out as an important bit of character.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i personally felt that scene was awkward as well because mainly what we get is him looking vaguely disappointed while standing in fire and then bringing the one girl out and immediately loving off. we get a voice over from the newswoman that he helped, but we don't see it, and for all we know she was referring to saving just the one woman. it's similar to the earlier sequence where batman is chasing the mercs who are shooting at the batmobile with rocket launchers, and they round a corner between some buildings, and then batman goes around the corner to find superman standing there (who he runs into and wrecks his car) but there's no indication that superman did anything to stop the mercs with machine guns and rocket launchers who were there 5 seconds ago

e: just to be clear both scenes i'm talking about i watched via the ultimate edition

site fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 17, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Something that I think gets lost in these discussions is that on some level, if these moments aren't making any lasting impression on a viewer, then for that viewer, that moment failed. It didn't stand out as an important bit of character.

Snyder should have had Superman do X, having him not do X shows his complete misunderstanding of the character.

*is shown a scene of Superman doing X*

Ah, well that doesn't count because I forgot about it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Necrothatcher posted:

Snyder should have had Superman do X, having him not do X shows his complete misunderstanding of the character.

It's completely absurd that stuff that's only in the Ultimate Edition most people never actually watched gets thrown in people's face like they're somehow being dishonest when they say it's not in the movie they saw

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Considering most people who watched it turned around on the movie it’s worth your time. Most of us will agree the theatrical isn’t very good and the ultimate ties everything together really well and fleshes things out.

It’s not a crime to not like the movie. But we can use what we know to sorta answer grievances people had.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

Considering most people who watched it turned around on the movie it’s worth your time. Most of us will agree the theatrical isn’t very good and the ultimate ties everything together really well and fleshes things out.

It’s not a crime to not like the movie. But we can use what we know to sorta answer grievances people had.

You’ve needed to pay for it though. I think it goes up on Max tomorrow?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Necrothatcher posted:

He... does stay to assist with search and rescue though? This scene takes place sometime after the blast and presumably he got a lot of those other people out.

e:fb

I think a customer from my comic shop was in that scene. There was also another customer that was a Daily Planet employee that walks around Clark and Perry while they talk in the hallway.

So much of that movie was filmed in Detroit. I almost went downtown to be a Lexcorp employee, and where Batman and Superman fight is a very popular urban exploration spot that was also used in Transformers.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

I think that compared to the amount of things people do actually remember vs not speaks to what the emphasis Snyder wanted to convey and what his priorities are in these sorts of movies. IMO he doesn't really care for his heroes to do heroic poo poo unless it looks really loving cool and he can compile a shot or a scene that looks cool.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jiro posted:

I think that compared to the amount of things people do actually remember vs not speaks to what the emphasis Snyder wanted to convey and what his priorities are in these sorts of movies. IMO he doesn't really care for his heroes to do heroic poo poo unless it looks really loving cool and he can compile a shot or a scene that looks cool.

He's not selecting stock footage of superheroism for a documentary. Why wouldn't he make his heroes doing "heroic poo poo" look really loving cool in all instances?

Should he consciously be making the heroics less cool?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aphrodite posted:

You’ve needed to pay for it though. I think it goes up on Max tomorrow?

I’m talking about Ultimate BvS hehe

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm glad the extended edition fixes some of my complaints, does he still stand around watching everyone die?

site posted:

i personally felt that scene was awkward as well because mainly what we get is him looking vaguely disappointed while standing in fire and then bringing the one girl out and immediately loving off...

e: just to be clear both scenes i'm talking about i watched via the ultimate edition
Oh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I’m talking about Ultimate BvS hehe

Right, I read that goes up alongside the Snyder Cut. I’m not in the US so I couldn’t check.

But it sounds like it’s already on there, and what goes up tomorrow is some enhanced (visually) edition.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

I dunno, I watched the Ultimate Edition the moment it dropped on 4K, out of the hope it was a movie I would like more, and all it generally did for me was connect the dots on Luthor's plan better, but I still walked away feeling like it was a stupidly convoluted plan that wasn't as interesting as it should've been. And it added a few more character beats, which were good, but I just generally didn't like how the characters are depicted. Is it a better movie? Yes. But I don't like it almost any more. That 30 minutes of footage didn't fix the lack of joy, intrigue, or inspiration I feel when watching it. But different strokes for different folks.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

He's not selecting stock footage of superheroism for a documentary. Why wouldn't he make his heroes doing "heroic poo poo" look really loving cool in all instances?

Should he consciously be making the heroics less cool?

Why would it need to be so workmanlike to be for a documentary? On the flip side why does it have to be so bombastic that every scene is a Michael Bay film? I'm currently watching BvS Ult Edition, and for the life of me there is almost nothing in this movie that could be called heroic. Begrudgingly heroic perhaps, when Batman saves those people going to be sold off for slavery or something, but the main focus on that scene wasn't really him saving those people as it was to beat the poo poo and brand some bad guys. When he saves Martha Kent? I'm kinda at a loss here. Superman saves people via montage, or killing a warlord by putting him through a few walls to save Lois.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

To be clear about the leak, don't post footage sure. But you don't have to pretend it's not out there and ignore it. If you want to talk about it just use clear spoilers indicating that's what you're talking about.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Apparently the new Justice League will only be available in the Netherlands as a rental, so I won't be seeing it for a while. :(

Hope you all enjoy it! I look forward to reading your hot takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jiro posted:

Why would it need to be so workmanlike to be for a documentary? On the flip side why does it have to be so bombastic that every scene is a Michael Bay film? I'm currently watching BvS Ult Edition, and for the life of me there is almost nothing in this movie that could be called heroic. Begrudgingly heroic perhaps, when Batman saves those people going to be sold off for slavery or something, but the main focus on that scene wasn't really him saving those people as it was to beat the poo poo and brand some bad guys. When he saves Martha Kent? I'm kinda at a loss here. Superman saves people via montage, or killing a warlord by putting him through a few walls to save Lois.

There are multiple scenes of Superman saving victims of various disasters in BvS. We're first introduced to him in MoS saving oil workers from an exploding refinery.