Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

learnincurve posted:

Would you all like to know a secret?

The 5 min appointment system is only in place to stop everyone all turning up at 9am. You can in fact turn up at 9am with an appointment made for 3:30pm and official policy is not to care and to just ask for the booking time so they can check you off and get you jabbed.

So book the day you want and ignore the time.

I've been volunteering at a vaccine centre in London and I can confirm.

It can be super flexible when it comes to it. We had one person who hosed up by not pressing the button to confirm the appointment, but she'd taken a screenshot of the webpage and had driven 100 miles to get there so we figured, well gently caress it, let her in then.

What we won't do is let someone with a fever in though. Said feverish person wasn't happy about that and decided we were being racist, and had a little rant before storming off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I didn't know it was coming from India (not that it matters to me). Can imagine some frothy gammon though.

quote:

There was speculation on Wednesday evening that the shortfall was due to delays in delivery of 10m doses of the AstraZeneca jab from India.

source: theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/17/nhs-covid-vaccine-rollout-under-50s-delayed-major-shortage

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

StarkingBarfish posted:

Pizza is very UKMT food. In its current form it started as poor food, served much to the working poor in Naples much like pasties and pies were in the UK: as a cheap self contained meal that could be eaten without the need for cutlery. It is still a cheap food, in that the ingredients cost pennies as they're used sparingly, but much like oysters and other traditionally poor offerings have ballooned in price and popularity. The mark-up on pizza is insane if you buy it at a restaurant.

If you ignore the health, and presumably ingredient produce/shipping externalities pizza is such a good example of market forces legit working. I'll happily spend £1.50 to always have an emergency hangover pizza in the freezer, I'll happily spend £11.40 if I'm enjoying the restaurant experience, I'll happily drop £30 if I'm high or so hungry that getting nice hot food to the door is worth the excess.

Pizza is insanely cheap to make if you have the time and inclination but usually you aren't just paying for the raw costs you're also paying for 'it comes directly to your door' utility or 'you're sitting in a nice room and a waitor brings it over and makes you feel all fancy like 'is the wine okay?' he knows drat well the wine is fine the extra 8 quid on the pizza and 4 quid on the wine is for the performance and to rent the table.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Ok fonts of all knowledge ITT, I had an email from Spotify saying I was one of the top 5% listeners to a particular band and inviting me to premium. So I googled premium to see how much the bands get from being on Spotify and couldn't find any actual figures but wasn't 'encouraged'.
What's the best way of supporting artists? I'm guessing it's not buying off Amazon!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I didn't know it was coming from India (not that it matters to me). Can imagine some frothy gammon though.

source: theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/17/nhs-covid-vaccine-rollout-under-50s-delayed-major-shortage

Probably a sign of how badly Modi has hosed up India even more than it was already hosed prior to his fascist dipshit rule.

India actually has multiple vaccines that would probably have phase three results if the government had treated this virus seriously. Another example of how fascists can't handle reality.

I know it's not something particularly important to the UKMT but a reminder that India is currently run by a virulent fascist.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ok fonts of all knowledge ITT, I had an email from Spotify saying I was one of the top 5% listeners to a particular band and inviting me to premium. So I googled premium to see how much the bands get from being on Spotify and couldn't find any actual figures but wasn't 'encouraged'.
What's the best way of supporting artists? I'm guessing it's not buying off Amazon!
If they’re on Bandcamp that’s pretty good I believe. You’re correct that Spotify pays utter trash; I tend to use their algorithm to find new music and then go buy the albums off Bandcamp.

E: The first Friday of each month is Bandcamp Friday where 100% of what you spend goes to the artist.

TACD fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 18, 2021

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Buying their merchandise as directly as possible, and/or buying their music on something like the music site Bandcamp.

Unless they have a direct donation method those are your two best bets.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

If you’re streaming any band then they’re getting the shine off a penny from it. Buy merch. See them live.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Total Meatlove posted:

If you’re streaming any band then they’re getting the shine off a penny from it. Buy merch. See them live.

I’ve seen so many great live acts this past year.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah dick move Total Meatlove, trying to get our thread elder merked by the 'vid.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You can pay upwards of £20 to watch a stream of some bands live from their living rooms.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Probably a sign of how badly Modi has hosed up India even more than it was already hosed prior to his fascist dipshit rule.

India actually has multiple vaccines that would probably have phase three results if the government had treated this virus seriously. Another example of how fascists can't handle reality.

I know it's not something particularly important to the UKMT but a reminder that India is currently run by a virulent fascist.

It is important I think to be reminded. I tend to forget that.
We are in a global web.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

TACD posted:

If they’re on Bandcamp that’s pretty good I believe. You’re correct that Spotify pays utter trash; I tend to use their algorithm to find new music and then go buy the albums off Bandcamp.

E: The first Friday of each month is Bandcamp Friday where 100% of what you spend goes to the artist.

Ooh I'll bear that in mind either for 1st April or 1st May. (Just checked the artist is on bandcamp).

Total Meatlove posted:

I'm hoping to see a connected band (Igorrr) with same artists (my fave Laure Le Prunenec) in December if it goes ahead though the venue was supposed to be Bristol and seems to have changed to Newport and back again so I'm not sure what's happening there! (The band I'm top listener to according to Spotify is Ricinn).

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah dick move Total Meatlove, trying to get our thread elder merked by the 'vid.

Took me a couple of minutes to parse that, then realized it wasn't a Lord of the Rings reference LOL

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 18, 2021

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

stev posted:

You can pay upwards of £20 to watch a stream of some bands live from their living rooms.

the jordan lake sessions from the mountain goats is, legit, one of my all time favourite live albums. i didn't pay for the "show" because, i dunno that seems kind of depressing, christ, but i definitely enjoyed the poo poo out of it after i bought it from bandcamp.

it has a wonderful, exhausted energy - like someone lying in a hospital bed, all tubed up, but they're smiling at you. 4.5/5 stars.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ooh I'll bear that in mind either for 1st April or 1st May. (Just checked the artist is on bandcamp).
2nd April 😉

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oops my bad! And pacific time at that.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/SimonClarkeMP/status/1372212508602286080

Welp, that didn't take long. Labour are even bigger idiots than we thought if they stick with this chap.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Spotify is a terrible way to support artists and the best way to do so is see them live or buy their merch, but in terms of the 'consumer experience' it can't be beaten for my money. Basically any music through one app, downloadable, for a tenner a month? It's absolutely unbelievable value for money. But yeah I'd recommend jumping on Spotify Premium then judiciously forking out for merch and albums to support artists, and of course seeing live music whenever you can.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Apparently Apple Music pays better than Spotify - but still a pittance. I prefer it anyway because I'm used to iTunes because I make a lot of mistakes.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/TweetForTheMany/status/1372339493378875394?s=20

Apparently:

https://skwawkbox.org/2021/03/17/exclusive-corbyns-lawyers-on-case-of-tory-mp-holdens-vile-facebook-post/

Details ^^^

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

stev posted:

Apparently Apple Music pays better than Spotify - but still a pittance. I prefer it anyway because I'm used to iTunes because I make a lot of mistakes.

I don't do iThingummies except for an old iPad 9.3.5 given to me by my sister who has the latest iEverything and used purely to facetime my mother who has managed to master that :rollyeyes: (and read SA without signing in on days I'm 'off computer' so I don't come back to 300 pages of crisp chat.)

Youtube don't pay anything to artists do they except for any adverts in their vids?

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 18, 2021

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Tidal pays several times to artists what Spotify does (but is still gently caress all), and also has higher quality audio, and loads of really good video content. Be an audio snob like me, listen to 'master quality' records.. Choose Tidal.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i still predominantly listen to music through a library of mp3s on my hard drive. also i own dvds

this post is not intended as advice but rather as an uplifting exercise in showing there is always a forum poster who makes worse choices than you do

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

At some point if you're just going "well support the artist by buying merch & seeing them live" you'd be as well pirating the music as subbing to Spotify Premium. At least that way you're not giving money to a capitalist middle man :shrug:

Theoretically I like the idea of it recommending new stuff but I don't use it enough for the algorithm to be any use. I keep it installed on my PC in case my HDD dies and I have to rebuild my music library (which I've already done once & let me tell you, re-ripping all those CDs is a loving nightmare because boy is it time consuming. And space consuming. My parents attic has boxes of them.) so I have SOMETHING to listen to but these days for new music if something isn't on Bandcamp for me to preview it Youtube probably has it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

The Ben bradley tweet about being a spy was I guess provably false. The anti Semite terrorist sympathiser thing is harder to outright disprove? Hence all Corbyn's problems really.

Also the weird looks based ageism is dumb.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CoolCab posted:

the jordan lake sessions from the mountain goats is, legit, one of my all time favourite live albums. i didn't pay for the "show" because, i dunno that seems kind of depressing, christ, but i definitely enjoyed the poo poo out of it after i bought it from bandcamp.

it has a wonderful, exhausted energy - like someone lying in a hospital bed, all tubed up, but they're smiling at you. 4.5/5 stars.

Good news, they're recording two more.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Angepain posted:

i still predominantly listen to music through a library of mp3s on my hard drive. also i own dvds

this post is not intended as advice but rather as an uplifting exercise in showing there is always a forum poster who makes worse choices than you do

Not only do I mainly listen to music through MP3s, Winamp is still my music player of choice.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The Ben bradley tweet about being a spy was I guess provably false. The anti Semite terrorist sympathiser thing is harder to outright disprove? Hence all Corbyn's problems really.

Yeah I'm not in favour of the looks-based thing, I've my own mouldy portrait in the attic.
The problem with the terror thing is that it depends on definitions - is one person's terrorist another person's freedom fighter etc and different countries have different definitions of terror groups (though they often overlap considerably).
Eg the hamas thing where the political wing of hamas was (probably still isn't - haven't checked lately - ok just checked still seems to be the case) NOT listed as a proscribed terror organisation by the UK govt, only the armed qassem brigades.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Not only do I mainly listen to music through MP3s, Winamp is still my music player of choice.

Hell yeah. I have music in a bunch of weird formats, like tracker files and SPC/VGM, so Winamp is really the only option due to its flexibility with plugins.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Took me a couple of minutes to parse that, then realized it wasn't a Lord of the Rings reference LOL

It doesn't get said enough that we really do appreciate your perspective on top of just loving having you around.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

^^ gee, thanks :blush:

Renters: This is to do with a credit reference service that is part of the 'open banking' thing.

quote:

I moved into a new flat and the letting agent said it uses a third-party reference service which I thought nothing of.

I received an email from this service, a company called KeySafe TV, and proceeded with the application.

It seemed pretty normal up until the point of entering my bank details for the credit check, I clicked next and then it redirected me to my Barclays online banking service log-in page.

This seemed strange and wrong to me. I didn't log into my online banking as I didn't want anyone to have access.

I have done some digging around and found out they seemed to want full access to a year's worth of banking details - my balance, incomings, and outgoings. What is going on? Is this allowed?

Long reply.
etc
etc

I know it's the Heil, but might be useful info for some.

TL:DR - KeySafe want access to past 12 months worth of your bank statements via another organisation called Salt Edge. KeySafe gobsmacked that someone might not want to do that. You don't have to. (And then good luck getting anywhere to rent.)

source: heil/money/experts/article-9354735/Do-share-bank-statements-KeySafe-new-flat.html

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

At some point if you're just going "well support the artist by buying merch & seeing them live" you'd be as well pirating the music as subbing to Spotify Premium. At least that way you're not giving money to a capitalist middle man :shrug:

Theoretically I like the idea of it recommending new stuff but I don't use it enough for the algorithm to be any use. I keep it installed on my PC in case my HDD dies and I have to rebuild my music library (which I've already done once & let me tell you, re-ripping all those CDs is a loving nightmare because boy is it time consuming. And space consuming. My parents attic has boxes of them.) so I have SOMETHING to listen to but these days for new music if something isn't on Bandcamp for me to preview it Youtube probably has it.

This is all correct, but I'm also a 'listens to a few songs by each artist' guy and also a 'lazy' guy. I admire your dedication though, as this would be my ideal method in a 'jakabite's not a lazy oval office' world.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

josh04 posted:

Good news, they're recording two more.

:o thanks!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The point of Spotify is that it’s way easier and less hassle than pirating.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Comrade Fakename posted:

The point of Spotify is that it’s way easier and less hassle than pirating.

Indeed, it’s been good for me because I save song I like to the app but I am often introduced to new music which I never previously would have found.

If I could start again I would via Tidal for the quality but Spotify is now a family account with my house hold and I don’t want to rock the boat with my partners and their saved playlists etc.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Late to pizza chat but I've been making sourdough pizza in the skillet half of a cat iron combo cooker I got for Xmas, and it's been great. Dough onto the hot pan on the hob, toppings then under the grill.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Late to pizza chat but I've been making sourdough pizza in the skillet half of a cat iron combo cooker I got for Xmas, and it's been great. Dough onto the hot pan on the hob, toppings then under the grill.

Yeah this is one of the most common ways to make good homemade pizza if you don't have the oven for it. Takes a bit of trial and error with temps and cooking times and dough thickness and stuff IME but you can get some decent results.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

tbf there is a noticeable ageing quality to being an evil poo poo. I'm what, three years younger than this tory dickhead, have underlying health conditions, am stressed all the time on account of the existential dread caused by said conditions alongside economic precarity, and in all honesty am probably now fairly unambiguously a functional alcoholic, and nonetheless look a solid ten to fifteen years younger than the guy. I'd like to believe this is just my good genes and naturally youthful looks but looking at the people around me I don't think I'm the outlier. Isn't this literally a line in one of the Dahl books? Pacts with the devil come at a cost.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angepain posted:

I still listen to CDs and have a big shelf full of them. I am also starting to get annoyed that after taking the time to rip them, I can't find an android app that will play tracks seamlessly, without a half second hitch as it loads the next song.

Also spotify is awful and trashfuture did an episode about how little they pay artists. Their rating algorithm also actively works against smaller artists getting a fair share of the royalties pool in a way that seems really weird, until you consider that it's another really sinister 'innovation as a way of circumventing worker rights' thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can't find an android app that will play tracks seamlessly, without a half second hitch as it loads the next song.

Don't use phone for music, but still use Winamp for main PC for mine. I know its a boomer app, but it loving works, has no ads, and it doesn't have that delay when you get to the next song.
They have an android version, maybe that will sort you out.