Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Any ideas how we get the zipline? Surely it's not Tier7/8 tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Any ideas how we get the zipline? Surely it's not Tier7/8 tech?

It's in the Caterium MAM tree. Relatively early on too.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I popped into the game to fix the issues I was going to have with my turbofuel, and I learned a couple of things... Some of the alternate recipes and main recipes have been swapped, if you have them both unlocked you can just swap them over and not worry about altering your production setup, this means that my aluminium production hasn't changed and neither has my heat sink production.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

priznat posted:

I bet they just clip thru anything built in the way.

Saw a guy playing and he rode it back to his base fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The number of items per stack of most basic building materials has been doubled -- iron plates & rods, steel, cable, etc all stack to 200. And concrete stacks to 500.

On the reddits someone mentioned that they have idle factories that will all spin up because suddenly all the machines have extra space in them. Just realized that's gonna be a thing for me as well. At the moment a lot of my power is offline, I'm re-doing the fuel generators based on the new behavior. Gonna need to run around to various bases and pull the plugs before updating.

mirarant posted:

Calculator has an update for experimental: https://u4.satisfactorytools.com/production

There is a new alt for Turbofuel -> Turbo Blend Fuel which comes from 2 fuel, 4 heavy oil residue, 3 sulfur and 3 coal

lol there's also a recipe for diluted fuel with no package/unpackage, using the blender. same ratio, greater productivity per MW of power.

I guess the message is, give in to your diluted fuel overlord.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Klyith posted:

lol there's also a recipe for diluted fuel with no package/unpackage, using the blender. same ratio, greater productivity per MW of power.

Diluted Packaged Fuel was about the only thing packagers were good for so RIP to that building I guess.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Diluted Packaged Fuel was about the only thing packagers were good for so RIP to that building I guess.

On the other hand, you might want to package stuff for the new drone system. We'll see.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the copy/paste settings for assemblers is only within the assembler settings menu? So it's actually just a shortcut to set the overclock/underclock rate rather than something you could use to mass-assign assemblers. Using the eyedropper function didn't copy setttings either. That's a shame.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
My plan is to build drones to deliver batteries to other drones. I hope I can find some Sulphur near the oil islands. I'm also wondering if its a good idea to save nuclear power till the final unlock so I can get right on Waste refining, seeing as I don't want to hide all of my waste only then to go back and fetch it all again for refining.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Unlimited hoverpacks was something the game needed desperately, I would never play the game again without the areaactions flight mode but might now though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Experimental definitely looks even nicer than EA, some cool lighting effects!

Need to get off my duff and unlock the top 2 tiers now I guess for a lot of the cool new stuff!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I noticed in the patches they tried to make vehicles better. How are they now? Still a disaster if not on a rail (or flying)?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
My hot take after a few hours with the update:

-Buildings that were making things that have their recipe changed need to be touched and have their recipe manually switched out and back, otherwise they can turn into weird resource black holes if you just connect the new ingredients.

-Aluminum casings model is kinda buggy, it produces some weird rainbow cube models at range.

-Piping nitrogen across the map is just as easy as running conveyor belts, no need to fuss about head pressure. I had considered packaging it cause I hate pipes, but that seems entirely pointless now.

-Hover pack is amazing, but has a really short range so I really hope they bump that up some.

-Really wish I had banked more Radio Control Units and Copper Wire, my store house of turbo motors and super computers are kind of useless right now

-Change in continual power production wasn't that big of an issue, but with my nuclear power offline I was pretty close to capacity anyway

-Hunt for a few more hd's to get back the old aluminum recipe and the new turbofuel and diluted.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Urgh. My factory went over the energy cap with this update (probably everything turning back on because of the increased stack sizes), and I had absolutely no luck getting it started again. Didn't help that my last save was half-a-map away from any of my nuclear power setup.

I'm going to have to go back to Early Access and cut the majority of my power lines or something.

Maybe I should just start from scratch...

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Bobulus posted:

Urgh. My factory went over the energy cap with this update (probably everything turning back on because of the increased stack sizes), and I had absolutely no luck getting it started again. Didn't help that my last save was half-a-map away from any of my nuclear power setup.

I'm going to have to go back to Early Access and cut the majority of my power lines or something.

Maybe I should just start from scratch...

I think there are issues with this build. I popped my power once as well after the update and had no luck getting it to restart with any load. If I isolate the generators I can get it started, but the second I cut back on 300 MW from a 1500MW pool it just cuts off again.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I think there are issues with this build. I popped my power once as well after the update and had no luck getting it to restart with any load. If I isolate the generators I can get it started, but the second I cut back on 300 MW from a 1500MW pool it just cuts off again.

Wonder if charging a battery or two off grid and then connecting it might get you through whatever is busting the breaker.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nukelear v.2 posted:

-Hover pack is amazing, but has a really short range so I really hope they bump that up some.

Does it need range to a power pole / wall outlets, or just any wire?

If they use poles it's always gonna have a weird range thing, you get spheres around each where the hoverpack works and that's not a good fit for flying around in straight lines. If it's wires though, it will be super easy to work with after some quick setup. Make some tall pillars around the perimeter of your build, then string a quick crosshatch of wires between them.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Klyith posted:

Does it need range to a power pole / wall outlets, or just any wire?

If they use poles it's always gonna have a weird range thing, you get spheres around each where the hoverpack works and that's not a good fit for flying around in straight lines. If it's wires though, it will be super easy to work with after some quick setup. Make some tall pillars around the perimeter of your build, then string a quick crosshatch of wires between them.

It doesn't take power from a wire, it has to come from a tower or the wall plug. You also get a few seconds of slow fall once it loses power and the power range indicator is pretty good. But really it just shines as an easier way to get good angles for building, but as transport it's no good. It also doesn't retain inertia like the jet pack does, so you can't fling yourself off belts or hypertubes.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Wonder if charging a battery or two off grid and then connecting it might get you through whatever is busting the breaker.

I added a series of 8, though I didn't let them charge for long. Still, demand never exceeded 300 out of 1500 according to the graph.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Nukelear v.2 posted:

It doesn't take power from a wire, it has to come from a tower or the wall plug. You also get a few seconds of slow fall once it loses power and the power range indicator is pretty good. But really it just shines as an easier way to get good angles for building, but as transport it's no good. It also doesn't retain inertia like the jet pack does, so you can't fling yourself off belts or hypertubes.

I haven't tried it myself, but yes the hover thing is marketed purely as a construction help tool. (And maybe also a screenshot help tool.)

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

nielsm posted:

I haven't tried it myself, but yes the hover thing is marketed purely as a construction help tool. (And maybe also a screenshot help tool.)

Yea for sure, but even as a construction tool the range feels a bit short. I'm setting up a new building for the cooling device and I keep falling out of the sky as I move around.
Don't get me wrong, it's still great, but I was hoping that I wouldn't have to pre-deploy towers for each row of blenders.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think the hoverpack will connect to anything with a power hookup, not just poles - so your buildings too. I have had no problems at all navigating within the bounds of a factory. Travelling between factory blocks is a bit dicier; the range is just about half the distance of a max-length power line so you're going to cut out a bunch unless you follow your wires very closely.

For building stuff it's absolutely amazing. Don't know how I'm going to live without it now. But yeah, keep your jetpack for general exploring/travelling.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Biggest equipment upgrade on my wish list would be two body slots at once, so you could do gas mask plus blade runners, or radiation suit plus jetpack or whatever.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So according to the host of our little three man gently caress-around there’s no auto-saving on this update? Which is just terrifying to hear after six hours of building.

Sounds like it’s a bug they’re aware of though.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Bussamove posted:

So according to the host of our little three man gently caress-around there’s no auto-saving on this update? Which is just terrifying to hear after six hours of building.

Yeah, it's completely gone from the options menu for whatever reason. Manual saving still worked fine when I tested it last night.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Something I noticed: Because of the change to power, when first hooking up many coal generators, they'll struggle to get to full power since they won't be self regulating, and the middle generators will be sucking down enough water to prevent the outside generators from getting enough until things stabilize.

Bussamove posted:

Yeah, saw a tweet that it should be fixed soon. I didn't realize it was the case and am very glad I remembered to do a manual save before quitting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I played the experimental build a little bit to check it out and without having the smart! Mod I found it to be almost unplayable lol.

Love they upped the stack size for concrete!! *paves everything, everywhere*

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tenebrais posted:

I think the hoverpack will connect to anything with a power hookup, not just poles - so your buildings too.
A minor help, but my normal pattern is that I don't power stuff up until after I'm done building, or at least the stage / block is done.

I suppose I could adjust and connect power earlier, then mostly use the hoverpack while belting 'em up. Normally I hate having machines active while I'm belting, because if you need to tear out a section it means your inventory fills up with the crap the machine were making. Ah well.

quote:

Travelling between factory blocks is a bit dicier; the range is just about half the distance of a max-length power line so you're going to cut out a bunch unless you follow your wires very closely.

Half a power cable is a pretty decent distance, really the only thing that's a problem is that true distance sucks when you're building on a grid.

They could leave the range the same but have it work by minimum of x/y/z, so that everything made a cube of power around it. But the cubes would be aligned to the world coordinate system rather than your local foundation grid, which would be silly.

Oxyclean posted:

Something I noticed: Because of the change to power, when first hooking up many coal generators, they'll struggle to get to full power since they won't be self regulating, and the middle generators will be sucking down enough water to prevent the outside generators from getting enough until things stabilize.

IIRC coal generators would fill the internal water buffer even when they were not active / connected with power lines. So if that's annoying you could give the extractors a minute or two to pre-load before wiring the gens. I think fuel works the same way.

re: no autosave, am I the only one who already had that cranked up to like 30 minutes? I'd swear it waits until I'm in the air before starting the countdown.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I saw on the Kibitz video you can select the powerpole and conveyor type with the “e” key when you have one selected, that is super cool.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
:lol: if anyone gets into nuke power now that waste can be reprocessed, keep this in mind: all of the alternate recipes for reprocessed waste / plutonium are "more efficient" than the base recipes.

That means you will consume less waste to make each plutonium rod, and in theory make more of the plutonium perma-waste (if you're using all the plutonium rods you produce for power).

Also it looks like the plutonium rods have less energy density than normal nuke fuel, so I don't think that works out to be a good deal even if you're looking for more power generation and don't care about waste production.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Klyith posted:

:lol: if anyone gets into nuke power now that waste can be reprocessed, keep this in mind: all of the alternate recipes for reprocessed waste / plutonium are "more efficient" than the base recipes.

That means you will consume less waste to make each plutonium rod, and in theory make more of the plutonium perma-waste (if you're using all the plutonium rods you produce for power).

Also it looks like the plutonium rods have less energy density than normal nuke fuel, so I don't think that works out to be a good deal even if you're looking for more power generation and don't care about waste production.

On the other hand, the changes allow you to go for nuclear power without producing any nuclear waste. Being able to process the uranium waste into plutonium fuel rods means you can just sink the plutonium rods directly instead of burning them for fuel. You'll miss out on some power generation per uranium node but gain a solid boost to sink points per minute and avoid the problem of having to create a waste storage facility entirely. The uranium cells already generate enough power that fully exploiting a node will raise your grid capacity higher than you're likely to ever need unless you have a gigantic mega base, and the added second plutonium stage gives you the option for either more power if you need it or waste cleanup if not.

Don't think that was really the intent of the devs since they said nuclear waste is supposed to be the tradeoff of using it but it's an added bonus with the new content for now. Maybe they'll change it at some point in the near future to just exclude all radioactive materials or items with nuclear waste as a prerequisite from the sink.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
^^^
Honestly I'm betting nuclear waste derived products gets factored into some tier item, part of forcing power plants to run continuously enables this. I mean why does nuclear pasta not have any nuclear material in it?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah, it's completely gone from the options menu for whatever reason. Manual saving still worked fine when I tested it last night.

Autosaving appears to be back now. Not sure if I got an update when I wasn't looking but it's started autosaving again.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 18, 2021

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Klyith posted:

A minor help, but my normal pattern is that I don't power stuff up until after I'm done building, or at least the stage / block is done.

I suppose I could adjust and connect power earlier, then mostly use the hoverpack while belting 'em up. Normally I hate having machines active while I'm belting, because if you need to tear out a section it means your inventory fills up with the crap the machine were making. Ah well.

It's exactly this, I always slap buildings down first, then belt, then power everything up. The range is about 4 foundation tiles, honestly taking it up to 6 or 8 tiles would be perfect to me. Yes I can adapt, but that short of range just seems pretty stingy for no real reason.

This is max hover distance from that tower, so slightly further than a single blender.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Good news is that there's probably going to be mods for the hoverpack range in short order. If there aren't any already.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Just a heads up, they seem to have fixed this. I loaded up the same factory as yesterday, cut the power, then re-added it and everything fired up as expected.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

After today's patches, trying to load my savegame from yesterday caused a silent crash. (Game just closes, no errors or anything.)
However I discovered that first loading an old (update 3.5) save, and then loading my new save while already in game, it worked.

So if you get crashes loading a savegame, try first loading a different save and then load the problematic one.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Nukelear v.2 posted:

This is max hover distance from that tower, so slightly further than a single blender.

Do higher tier power poles have longer hover ranges? Does the hoverpack also work with wall power sockets?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh nice, I just found an alternate recipe for portable miners that lets them be made in manufacturers. Is that new?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Tenebrais posted:

Oh nice, I just found an alternate recipe for portable miners that lets them be made in manufacturers. Is that new?

Gotta be. I had all the alts before the 4.0.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

boxen posted:

Do higher tier power poles have longer hover ranges? Does the hoverpack also work with wall power sockets?

Not that I've noticed. Yes, wall sockets and powered buildings are valid sources.

Tenebrais posted:

I believe so, just saw it for the first time last night. Scratched my head on why you'd want that for half a second before slam picking new blender turbofuel.

Turns out nuclear power changes actually make things simpler, you just replaced 2 refineries + 3 assemblers with 1 blender with the exact same input/output. Did however run into a glitch I never noticed before, deleting a radioactive element from your inventory removes the item but doesn't get rid of the radiation. Putting it into a storage unit and then deleting it worked though. Now that I've got enough juice, going to try to setup waste re-processing. Needing 1500mw per particle accelerator is pretty jaw dropping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Has anyone tried hovering near powered railway?