Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

LobsterboyX posted:

alright so heres everything I did to the hot rod:

added this starter button to the panel that controls the solenoid in the last post

Computer, Zoom and Enhance!

:nice:

Keep up the good work. Your workbench looks great, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The squibs would have been installed in the pylon carrying the tank, to shear the pylon and tank off the airplane when commanded. Do you have a manufacturer part number or NSN number for it? It should have a dataplate somewhere.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

PainterofCrap posted:

I WANT THAT LITTERING SIGN. drat. Where do you find this stuff? Is it just lying around in southern California?

Figured it would have become clear when you moved it, but wet, rotting vegetation can smell surprisingly like rotting animal matter. I have an old whiskey barrel set-up to catch rainwater, and until I figured out how to filter it efficiently, one of the jobs I really dreaded was emptying that barrel before the first freeze. The smell of rotting leaves at the bottom would knock a buzzard off of a shitwagon.

Someone put an unclad votive in there for light and it melted down. Pour very hot water in there for a minute or so; it should soften it enough to release. Encourage it with something blunt & keep applying the hot water.

Weaponized cuteness.

I was glad when that car-show trend ran its course. Those doll-things were never charming, and I never figured out what they were supposed to represent. Child abuse?

That your Packard?

The sign was one of several I got from an estate sale - there were 4 total , this one, 2 that said "hey you! keep santa monica clean" and this one:

these two that I kept being my favorites - The other two I sold for massive money to santa monica residents!

The smell disappeared pretty quick once I disrupted the nest, now that the tank is a bit up off the ground I cleaned up that whole area pretty good - the area has a giant ficus tree as a canopy so there's always leaves falling back there year round. I bought a leaf blower about 2 years ago and my life has changed dramatically since.

I successfully got the candle wax out of them - I just ran it under the hot water and used a crooked awl and they popped out without much persuasion

The crying car show kids has always been something that I just don't get - even funnier is that no one really has a water tight explanation for it - I came across this article that expands on things a bit:

https://drivetribe.com/p/why-are-creepy-time-out-dolls-a-DY3foVaPTECHf8lCD-VCiA?iid=NqZNaaSrTQKmoibA0vX5lg

If you want to talk about weaponizing cuteness -

how about this scene taken from "a baba too far"

These are not my things, but rather a friend of mine who I used to work with in special effects - He's renting a killer property and has entirely too much time on his hands - the packard was saved from the scrapper, In whatever free time I have I've helped him get it running - he painted it up like a staff car and got these sandbags and machine gun (its a prop) from the shop we used to work at together. Recently other car friends have rented the property nextdoor and have made it in to somewhat of a time travel compound/cult - the place is super special and we've been spending a bit of time there.

bennyfactor posted:

Computer, Zoom and Enhance!

:nice:

Keep up the good work. Your workbench looks great, too.

because im an adult child, it was the first test label I made on my vintage label maker. I never planned to put it there, but my wife (a bmw 2002 owner) stuck it there as an homage to her car.

MrYenko posted:

The squibs would have been installed in the pylon carrying the tank, to shear the pylon and tank off the airplane when commanded. Do you have a manufacturer part number or NSN number for it? It should have a dataplate somewhere.

No data plate on the thing, there is some stenciled text on the nose but I cant quite make out anything it says aside from 400 US GAL and the date of x/x/46 (or 8) - My friend has the matching one to this one that came from the same place, IIRC the stenciling on his is a bit more in tact. I believe these were used on a corsair:

however they came from a twin engine, top wing cargo plane (that I can't recall at this moment) that was sold as surplus and converted for commercial use.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
well I free'd the car from the garage and gave it a shakedown - what a shakedown it was - 100 mile round trip drive with a buddy - both of our cars developed some issues along the way and rain was a problem - if youve ever been on a motorcycle or a convertible in the rain, its rather unpleasant, the trick is to go fast enough to not get wet, but there is absoultely nothing as far as weight in the rear of these things so every start is a slide, you have to drive these as if you are on ice because there is just no grip

so my buddys coupe started to sound a bit different as we were driving - we both have high compression (lol) heads on these things and with these old speed part intakes and carbs, plugs foul quickly - so by the time we got back from our run both of us weren't running on all 4 - we made him up a set of new spark leads and attempted to wire wheel our existing plugs - reinstalled and no change - we thought the worst and continued to diagnose but really we just needed new plugs - after searching we found some that fit but were not the same heat range

threw them in there and both of us were on 4 again

drove the car solid for 2 days, then went in for a read:

these NGKs have interesting numbering systems for heat range - I've been experimenting in the 4-7 range - so on my car with about with about 90 psi across all 4 cyls and 2 carbs now the 7's fouled out pretty quickly, as you can see here, the 6's are perfect and the 4's are toasted. so... I think I'm going to downjet my carbs a bit and run with these 6's

All in all I have a bit to do - I'm going to play with the tune a bit more on this thing before calling in the experts -

it also needs a shim job to tighten up the clearances (for those of you who dont know, there are shims on all the rod ends and main caps that can be added or remove to take up clearances, this is an extremely old way of doing that, but basically its like installing new bearings - its very comical to see modern car guys faces when you see how the process works)

Next race is in september - I'm psyched!

also got these old rail road lanterns working again - I love the smell of burning kerosene.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
spent some time to detail my projects, just posting it here to save it:

POSTER: It's me, I'm the poster
VEHICLE: see below
GOALs - see below
DIFFICULTY: lifestyle
LINK: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867802

I'm currently working on several vehicles - I'll start from oldest to newest.

1930 Ford Model A Roadster - Highboy hot rod

this is an original 1930 Ford Roadster with the original "banger" 4cy with many speed parts and period mods. I drove this car more than any other car in 2020 (granted I really had nowhere to go)

Goals: continue upgrade, mod, race and enjoy - projects on deck, rear tank and fuel lines, suspension work and interior

1948 Buick Roadmaster Sedanette - 2 door "sedanette" aka fastback

This car was half rear end restored in the late 90s, I've owned it for 15 years - I've recently installed an incredibly rare Edmunds dual intake manifold on to the 320ci straight 8 backed by the first generation Dynaflow transmission which is a single speed cvt style transmission. I drive this car weekly

Goals: rust repair in trunk and complete interior, and solve overheating issues

1940s (exact year unknown) Belly tank lakester project

This is a long term project that I only have a few parts for - I plan to build a Buick straight 8 engine around this ridiculous 6 carb intake manifold. The rendering shows my eventual plans for the vehicle

Goals: to complete this build before I die

1954 Buick Century wagon:

This is the first all steel body wagon ever made by Buick - with only 1400 examples made, it's a rare car and was the top of the line most expensive station wagon offering for GM in 54. This car can be a daily driver and has been at times - its more than capable of highway speeds and is very comfortable - the interior is 100% original.

Goals: rust repair and maintain original drivetrain and interior

2007 Lexus LX470

This is by far the nicest car I have ever own - barring any circumstances outside my control this will be the last modern vehicle I purchase for myself.

goals: maintain and keep clean

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Brother, you have fantastic taste.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah I love your cars. That Lexus is a dream as well!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I want the Century.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You’re going to do the needful and tow the lakester with the Century, right?

Right?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

MrYenko posted:

You’re going to do the needful and tow the lakester with the Century, right?

Right?

thats the plan for all the cars - my tow vehicles have always been... out of period:

so the problem with towing with the wagon is that the wagon is just a sedan with a wagon body - there's really no beef up stuff with it, the springs are super soft and squishy and it has lever action shocks rather than tube shocks so doing a set of high jackers is a bit more complicated - I would like to eventually get it in to towing shape, it definitely has the power to do it.

PainterofCrap posted:

I want the Century.

not for sale francis!

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah I love your cars. That Lexus is a dream as well!

kenny powerzzz posted:

Brother, you have fantastic taste.

Thanks!

in other news - I could barely last a year before buying... another.... car....... it will be unveiled shortly. I'd love to do a video on it too... so maybe soon

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

god drat that coupe ford with the period engine makes me horny

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

thats the plan for all the cars - my tow vehicles have always been... out of period:

so the problem with towing with the wagon is that the wagon is just a sedan with a wagon body - there's really no beef up stuff with it, the springs are super soft and squishy and it has lever action shocks rather than tube shocks so doing a set of high jackers is a bit more complicated - I would like to eventually get it in to towing shape, it definitely has the power to do it.

Air bags. You should be able to find some that clamp onto the axle tube. If it's got coil springs, it's even easier.
Then you need to find a period trailer that's still built well enough for modern highways. Not that trailers have changed all that much. Just something kind of, I don't know... simple? Just enough to handle the roadster, basically.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

Air bags. You should be able to find some that clamp onto the axle tube. If it's got coil springs, it's even easier.
Then you need to find a period trailer that's still built well enough for modern highways. Not that trailers have changed all that much. Just something kind of, I don't know... simple? Just enough to handle the roadster, basically.

The trailer in the first photo is pretty drat good. Put wheel skirts on the fenders and paint it a complementary color, with pinstriping.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
get ready...

Shortly before covid I was privy to a car for sale - the guy was advertising a 1942 Buick special business coupe.. or was he?

For those of you who don't know, companies in the late 30s and 40s made stripped down versions of coupes, typically with no back seat and an extended trunk section for traveling salesmen to work out of and sometimes even camp in. they were light, sleek and priced low - aka factory hot rods. These cars became very popular with their intended end user, as well as cats that liked to live outside the law.. the lore of the business coupe is pretty strong.

Obviously car companies were about to get very busy with other things by the early 40s. There are plenty of 1942 cars made of all styles, as I understand it, the 1942 model year started in the fall of 41 and was ground to a halt by Feb 1942 - obviously the war effort needed cars as well, so you will see later production cars, known as "black out" models with painted trim and bumpers, black walls, low to no options and generally just bare bones as they got.

____

I've been in to these toothy buick cars for quite some time, and I like to think that I know a bit more than the average enthusiast about them.. :golfclap:

1942 is the first year for the style which would become my obsession, teeth, fade away fenders, later on port holes and airplane inspired details. I've always wanted one-

Truth in advertising was always streched a bit... thin... back then - instead of photographs, companies used illustrators to advertise their cars, photography was less of an art form, and the general public had grown used to beautifully illustrated car ads - typically ads with photos of the actual cars were reserved for the cheapest of the cheap - these illustrators took liberties, making the cars look lower, longer sleeker, meaner - this continued on up in to the 60s and 70s

theres the coupe, the first car on the left side! but those don't exist, never even seen a photo of one!

Sometimes the auto industry advertised cars to have features or details that didn't exist, sometimes even the cars themselves didn't exist even - there are several examples of companies showing examples of a convertible that didn't exist or maybe a limo or special limited car that was never actually produced that either they hoped to, or maybe never got around to doing ...

Knowing this, and knowing these cars, this particular listing for a 42 Buick business coupe raised my ire ... I was under the impression that they never made a non fastback and that they had planned to do one but were stopped production before they produced any of these cars -

Post war prosperity saw the end of the business coupes for GM and for the upper class Buick car, that type of utility was not a selling point for the brand and the model was dropped when cars started getting built again in 1946 - there was a redsign in 49 and the 40s buick body style was phased out -

Long story short, I've never seen or heard of a 40s buick coupe, and I dont think anyone really has - there has never been one in the buick club roster which itself was founded in the 50s. I searched the web for photos of this elusive coupe all that came up was the illustration and the number of 461 units produced - this car is a ghost.

back to the ad:

The car the guy posted was not a coupe, it was a fastback special missing the back seat.

this body style:

I wrote a comment that said something like "that's just a special fastback missing a back seat.. the coupes dont exist. "

That comment I'd learn was fasle, another guy sends me a DM that reads "you're right, thats not a business coupe, i have one, they do exist"

by this point in my story its taken me several days to write this and ill just cut to the chase - after a few years of going back and forth - this showed up on sunday

so I got in to it today:

to recap - the last prewar Buick coupe, one of 461 made, probably the only one to exist - special ordered with upgraded equipment -

I've never had a car this rusty before.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Amazing find! :eyepop:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Awesome find and interesting writeup. Without your knowledge I'd have no idea it was rare at all, which is probably why that might be the only one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That looks like a project, if I ever saw one.

What's the plan? Full restoration, patina preservation, something else?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Awesome find and interesting writeup. Without your knowledge I'd have no idea it was rare at all, which is probably why that might be the only one.

^^^

I am glad to see it go to a good home. Looks like you've got a lot of work ahead of you.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Holy poo poo dude. Might be worth reaching out to somebody in the heritage department of GM?

Super excited about watching this come together.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I'm really conflicted on the direction I want to go with this thing - its a HUGE project and possibly the biggest I've ever taken on, I really don't know if I can go all the way with this thing as quickly as I'd like with my skillset and the fact that I really don't have the time or money (right now) to do the right thing with it.

I just built it on paper to the tune of nearly $15k

thats real prices and guesstimates to get the car completely done. I figure spread it out, small things at a time - this will be the ultimate father son project

I'm kinda cooking a plan right now to actually do a frame off - or rather frame up restoration/preservation on this thing.

pull the body, do the sheet metal part of it and bring the rolling frame and engine home to detail and rebuild that.

my wife is adamant that she wants the body to look as it does now but with the insides full cherry'd out - fully detailed engine and firewall, fullly detailed interior, new tires, period plates and accessories

heres a few things I didn't mention before:

Included with the car was this:

this is the entire floor from firewall to just above the rear end from a 46 Chevy coupe - knowing the floors were as bad as they were, the previous owner bought this to do the floors - while the body of my car is a GM "A-body" coupe - the underpinnings of each make was different - these bodies by Fisher were used in models across pretty much all the GM brands - you can even find A body Cadillacs - now a days this kind of thing is referred to as the architecture of a car.

I spent a lot of time today trying to remove the original Gates branded rubber floor mat without damaging it, but it was just too far gone and I got a bit more violent with it. I filled my lil craftsman shop vac about 3 times with rust and other debris from the car - at one point it was like I was vacuuming up the floor of the car and I most likely put the final nail in the coffin of the little vacuum that could - there's really not much left:

I really need to start documenting things better - I'm actually thinking about doing a video series about it, but my skill level with video needs to come up, and I feel like I'd like to do it somewhat anonymously or with a gimmick persona to avoid the modern car youtubers hole of despair. "hey I just bought another hosed up super car and watch as I waste money and fix it"

the archeology dig contuned with these carbs - someone had obviously monkeyed with this car at some point, altho all the parts on the car point to some work done to it in the 50s.

the carb system on these cars is really wild, and I feel like I need to make another post specifically explaining how it works, but essentially one of the carbs handles most of the work, and the rear one acts as a vacuum secondary/progressive and opens up when you mash on it. the rear carb is very unique, no choke, no accelerator pump and only a butterfly at the bottom, its basically a box full of fuel. underneath that carb there is a weighted adjustable butterfly that prevents that carb actuating unless the car is creating enough vacuum

UNLIKE my other straight 8 which is the large series engine (physically about 4" larger in every dimention) which uses twin small series carbs complete accelerator pumps.

I really really really want to get the compound carb situation running, however when this car was toyed with back in the 50s they used 2 small series carbs as well, one stromberg, one carter - as soon as I saw this, I realized that this car was going to be running really rich - which to me is a good thing for the longevity of the car - a quick read of the plugs and whif of the oil confirmed it - plugs black, oil smells like varnish. I filled up the combustion chambers with Marvel before I'm even going to attempt to turn it.

I was also gifted this today:

When I was first getting in to old bullshit cars in the late 90s and early 00's these manuals were SO expensive if you could even find what you needed - the magic of the internet and digital tech really killed the value of these old manuals. Something like this used to be worth well over 150-200 bucks, however a quick ebay search revealed these are worth 10-20 bucks now - kinda sad if you ask me - I've had one of these for every car I've had, and if you've never been around one of these, they smell heavenly - I don't know why they smell the way they do, but its a comfort smell to me - in the same way you're smelling the smell of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride as you're reading this.

Sorry for the tons of obscure info on this silly car - I'm really still in shock about this thing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
If it's a one off rarity IMO it should be a full back to showroom restore including the exterior. Bring it back to it's best days once again. That's just my opinion, it's cool to land a unicorn

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LobsterboyX posted:

Sorry for the tons of obscure info on this silly car - I'm really still in shock about this thing.

That's literally one of the main reasons to come read this thread.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cakesmith handyman posted:

lets see here
  • ogle at his cool stuff
  • marvel at his extensive knowledge
yep checks out

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The new find is awesome, I am all about obscure and weird stuff. Great car!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

LobsterboyX posted:

my wife is adamant that she wants the body to look as it does now but with the insides full cherry'd out - fully detailed engine and firewall, fullly detailed interior, new tires, period plates and accessories

your wife has good taste

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That is an amazing find, hell of a project but so cool. Take your time and spread out the cost and scope over a few years. Look forward to seeing how this one moves along, your work is always top tier and very enjoyable to watch.

As far as video you could do something as simple as sticking a gopro on a chest or head mount and worry about editing and stuff later. Or stick one on a tripod where you can see most of what you're doing and just set it to record. You'll have a bunch of video to go through later but you'll have it and that's the key thing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:eyepop:

This thread continues to loving rule.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

A piece of GM history, drat.

Photograph every single thing, document where it goes and bulk-buy small Ziplocs.

Glad to see the replacement pan since the original is cheese. You may need another, larger space to rotisserie the body shell while the frame is cleaned/checked/repaired. You’ll likely have to weld beams everywhere to preserve the body shape before pulling it from the frame.

Lots and lots of penetrating oil.

The blessing is that cars of this vintage are fairly simple - electrics and options are minimal to non-existent.

Cheers to your father/son project. Amazing. And you called me brave.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

That car is amazing
If you did a YouTube series on it out might help off set some of the costs. There's been less worthy projects documented like that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that's a very uncommon car. It must have taken some work to get the previous owner to let go of it. It's in some very capable hands now :)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 23, 2021

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If it's a one off rarity IMO it should be a full back to showroom restore including the exterior. Bring it back to it's best days once again. That's just my opinion, it's cool to land a unicorn

OMGVBFLOL posted:

your wife has good taste

Considering I just went thru my parts catalogs and estimated what its going to cost to bring it to a preserved position, no paint, on paper I'm at close to 12k not counting labor - so this is going to be a long haul for sure. I would love it showroom, but that may be pretty ambitious

with the floor section I have, while it technically should fit pretty well, I have fears about obtaining the 100% totally anal old car nerd originality that it deserves - luckily lots of parts are made for my cars Chevy counterpart so we could start slowly.

My real goal here is to just make the car solid again and kill all of the bad rust, and stop the less than bad rust in its tracks. -

I've been thinking about this for so long and now that its actually here in my possession - I'm floored

the man selling me this car has really floored me with his generosity - the fact is I couldn't afford this car - We're all still recovering from the covid madness and my work has not picked up enough again to really warrant a purchase like this - He has really become a friend, and while I know he won't read this, he's done me a favor by letting me pay off the car slowly, as well as hooked me up with a shipper who also has become a friend instantly - this guy brought the car to me for what I believe is less than the cost of gas and from Michigan to Los Angeles in less than 2 days. When he dropped the car off we spent hours together getting in to the car, my other cars and even going over to some friends houses to see their stashes of cars - the shipper is a long haul trucker with a car addiction too soooooo you can understand the text messages of long forgotten junk yards and car hoards that this guy has been sending me since we met. you can see him in one of the photos I posted of the car.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Raluek posted:

lets see here
  • ogle at his cool stuff
  • marvel at his extensive knowledge
yep checks out

MrYenko posted:

:eyepop:

This thread continues to loving rule.

Thank you!!

PainterofCrap posted:

A piece of GM history, drat.

Photograph every single thing, document where it goes and bulk-buy small Ziplocs.

Glad to see the replacement pan since the original is cheese. You may need another, larger space to rotisserie the body shell while the frame is cleaned/checked/repaired. You’ll likely have to weld beams everywhere to preserve the body shape before pulling it from the frame.

Lots and lots of penetrating oil.

The blessing is that cars of this vintage are fairly simple - electrics and options are minimal to non-existent.

Cheers to your father/son project. Amazing. And you called me brave.

I have to work on my documentation skills, but ziplocks, boxes and other bags are already a habit with me - also, im sure others do this, but every estate sale or garage sale I hit, I buy wd40, pb blaster, 3 in 1 oil and my favorite elixir Marvel Mystery oil - If I ever opened a tiki bar I'd have a drink called the marvel mystery oil -

as far as options and electrical work, there is only one way to go..

https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

this will probably be one of the largest outlays of money - I've installed a few of their kits on various cars and they are beyond the best - clearly labeled, factory correct colors/cloth wiring with modern insulation - it doesnt get much easier, these guys make a killer product that is a total no brainer

I've been making plans with my buddy who has a shop to get the car off the frame and do the full bit - probably at that point I'd bring the frame with driveline home and start restoration of that - That kind of work is my favorite, cleaning, repairing and assembling parts is :smugdog: to me

So by the time the body is done, we can bring it back and mate it with the restored frame! then finish assemble it.

and yes, you still are brave!

Thumposaurus posted:

That car is amazing
If you did a YouTube series on it out might help off set some of the costs. There's been less worthy projects documented like that.

between covid and becoming a new dad my creativity has been zapped- I'm having a hard time getting back on track, and I think that doing this will really help that. I really want to avoid the tropes of the car youtuber, and I don't want to rush things - I want to present this stuff in the way I see it in my head but I don't know how to do it and be able to keep up with creating content for people to watch.

It's always been a dream of mine to make my passions pay for themselves, however I had a really bad experience that some of you may remember from the early days of me posting here:

this photo was taken on my Motorola Razr to give you an idea of the time period.

But I've healed from that and ready to try again with 80% less young male aggression and 100% more creativity and fun.

- but moving forward - I crept around looking for my buick spares and found plenty of stuff that I forgot I had - engine paint, hubcaps, lens', shifter knobs - all the crap that comes with owning these cars that you keep just in case:

oh cool, 1942-48 deluxe full wheel covers

oh nice, pre cut supression core cloth covered spark leads

oh even cooler a fresh distributor cap, rebuild compound carbs and even more suppression core wire?!

I know I have a complete pertronix ignition for this car too..

the fun doesnt stop! stay tuned

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

The trailer in the first photo is pretty drat good. Put wheel skirts on the fenders and paint it a complementary color, with pinstriping.

Yeah, maybe some period hubcaps and trim rings on the wheels. Trailers haven’t really changed a lot.

That coupe is awesome. I’m with your wife: patina original outside, clean and fresh inside and where you have to work on it.
I, too, favor paper manuals when I can find them. I have one for almost every car I’ve owned, plus a few I didn’t, for some reason. Digital ones are handy, though, for reference, quick searching thanks to OCR, and printing out a few pages so as not to mess up your original.

BTW, the carbs on that car are not unlike how the GM Tri-power worked. The middle carb was a full-on carb, while the two end carbs were functionally just secondaries - no idle circuits or chokes. I don’t recall if they had accelerator pumps. Guess your Buick’s setup was the granddaddy of the Tri-power. Roe just “daddy”, since I know GM use the Tri-power type setup on the mid-‘50s Olds V8. “J-2” it was called, I believe?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Oh hey, new posts, let's see what this is...

... oh. Oh my god that is so cool.

We're into the hobby of cars in very different ways but man, I'm excited to see the slow tacking of this.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm gonna agree with cat interceptor, in that while patina preservation has its place, a rare car like that deserves a full resto.

It'll be sweet either way though.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

in the world of coin collecting, a coin that's been cleaned is considered damaged, and the value drops an order of magnitude or more. partly because anyone with the time and money can strike a very convincing but very clean replica, but the patina is acquired over the coin's decades or centuries of life, and is the primary substantial and aesthetic difference between a replica and the real thing

i'm not sure i'd go that far with it wrt cars, but there are a whole lot of rich dudes who own exceedingly rare cars out there and they all gleam with far nicer paint and polished metal than they ever had new, and they're all diminished for it in my eyes. I like seeing casting flash and other imperfections of manufacture, and signs of wear and tear acquired over the car's life. If major rot is treated and arrested, the car doesn't live outside, and isn't driven on salted roads, that's more than enough preservation to keep the car driveable practically indefinitely. it doesn't need to have the exterior gone over for preservation purposes, making it purely an aesthetic choice, and I'd rather see an exterior that gives a glimpse into the car's history much more than I'd like to see gleaming paint and straight lines.

but like i said, it's all up to aesthetic preferences, if you two do what makes you and her happy to own and drive the car, you're doing it right

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I love reading this thread and seeing awesome old stuff, and that car is pretty awesome. Would love to see a video one day of the doors opening and shutting from the outside, the hinges on them to get the big bulge (don't know the name) to move in at the same time must be complicated? Or am I overthinking it?

Sweet car though!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
as of now, my main goal with this car is to get it solid again - I need to fix the rust and get it running and driving. I think there's so much metal work that needs to take place before it gets to that point that a paint job may be a given that the look of the car is too far altered to keep the body shabby. but we'll see. My buddy who's shop the car is going to is coming tomorrow to get an idea whats in store for us.

heres a cool pic the hauler sent me today:

regarding that door and the fender extension - its a pretty cool trick in geometry, they open as normal, there is just a giant void that that part of the door "goes in to" - its the same on my 48 too - I'll take a video!

here's a 1941 model of my car - as you can see, that particular detail doesn't exist in previous models, the fender stops before the door.

and for those of you wondering, there are very few of this years model as well, but there are more of these in existence than there were produced of the my car. there was an example of the 41 model 44 for sale a few years back for 25k

as far as progress today, not much happened, I've literally been combing thru my parts and finding so much stuff for this car I already have.. its really great.

just for kicks on the paint that was left, I used a bit of that old elbow grease some wd40 and some cleaner wax and this was the result, of course I did this at night so who knows what it will look like in the morning:

I really wish I had gotten this car 8-10 years sooner, I feel like it would have been a bit more in tact, and the previous owner actually brought that fact up with me - this guy is so drat cool - we text or talk daily.. having never dealt with a rusty car like this, I feel like there may be paint underneath some of this surface rust - there are some areas where there is no pant for sure, but there are some areas where I really can't tell - I've been trying to pressure wash this car to really see what I'm looking at but my timing always seems to be when the baby is sleeping or too late to run it. I think the whole hood still has paint on it its just covered in dirt and surface rust - I'm going to try some techniques on it. my wife has started polishing some of the chrome too which is very cool

speaking of cool wife - I can't speak highly enough of this woman, in addition to all the things that go with a solid partner, she gets me the best presents, my birthday is in a week and a half and she couldn't wait for the day to give me this:

- Also I stopped by a recently re-opened antique mall today and scored this awesome City of LA etched lantern globe for $30!

and in searching for parts I came across this awesome 1960s Vixen spark plug cleaner (made in LA) that I forgot I had.

its basically a mini sand blaster - you stick a dirty plug in the top, attach your shop air and hit the button, there's media in the bag that blasts the hell out of the electrode and does this to your plugs:

I think theres too much media in the bag so I'm going to remove some and it may work a bit better, there's also 2 positions on a lever on the other side that I haven't quite figured out what it does. - we'll see.

re: youtube, I started filming some stuff, but I'm not thinking about it and it comes off as rambling -

A guy that comes to our crusie night has made some pretty cool vids, I think I need to contact him

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaYDztQ_CYdC4MEE98D6NSw

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

LobsterboyX posted:

and in searching for parts I came across this awesome 1960s Vixen spark plug cleaner (made in LA) that I forgot I had.

its basically a mini sand blaster - you stick a dirty plug in the top, attach your shop air and hit the button, there's media in the bag that blasts the hell out of the electrode and does this to your plugs:

I think theres too much media in the bag so I'm going to remove some and it may work a bit better, there's also 2 positions on a lever on the other side that I haven't quite figured out what it does. - we'll see.

re: youtube, I started filming some stuff, but I'm not thinking about it and it comes off as rambling -

A guy that comes to our crusie night has made some pretty cool vids, I think I need to contact him

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaYDztQ_CYdC4MEE98D6NSw

I worked as a mechanic in a shop that had one similar to this, I'd love to find one for myself. It was a handheld unit, not wall mounted. It had a level you could move from side to side while blasting the plug, I think it changed the angle of the sand blasting head inside the tool so it cleaned all surfaces of the plug. Try flipping the lever back and forth while blasting the plug and see if it does a better job cleaning.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just get footage for now and edit it together with voice over (or captions) later after you review the footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.

chrisgt posted:

I worked as a mechanic in a shop that had one similar to this, I'd love to find one for myself. It was a handheld unit, not wall mounted. It had a level you could move from side to side while blasting the plug, I think it changed the angle of the sand blasting head inside the tool so it cleaned all surfaces of the plug. Try flipping the lever back and forth while blasting the plug and see if it does a better job cleaning.

The lever switches between blast with sand and just blow, to clean the sand out of the plug. They use a carborundum media, not sand. (They don't work as well with sand)

You are also in luck, harbour freight started carrying them a few years back:

https://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-spark-plug-cleaner-32860.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/100-lb-spark-plug-cleaner-media-69040.html

and for Canadians
https://www.princessauto.com/en/pneumatic-spark-plug-cleaner/product/PA0008261562

I use it all the time for rotary plugs and other two strokes.

Absolutely loving the new car and antiques as well. Keep posting!