Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

So I dipped my wheels when I got new winter tires back in November. I haven't parked my car outside in months, but today I did. I caught sight of it out my window just now and I'm laughing like an idiot all over again.

The picture doesn't really do it justice. In direct sunlight you practically need sunglasses. 10/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Brilliant, neon RC car wheels are the best

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Need to add a silly tall antenna.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

well now I need it

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

um excuse me posted:

Need to add a silly tall antenna.

Center trunk magnetic CB whip

dk2m
May 6, 2009

GramCracker posted:

There is lots of competition between companies, which leads to a reasonably deep aftermarket platform for this car. Which is great for you if you want to go fast, but horrible for your wallet.

Glad to have helped influence your decision! I was also considering the M2 CS, but the 4x OEM colors you could pick from and how bad the engine sounds (despite it's potential) pretty much eliminated that for me.

I've had the car for ~7 months now and am comfortable with what I've seen in the community with regards to others modding from day one collection of their cars. Some crazy assholes even send the car straight to Iroz in Nevada from the dealer with like 40 miles on the car for 1,000whp builds. :psypop:

Unitronic cars are consistently some of the quickest RS3s around, not to mention the ability to tune from home is fantastic. Personally, I've seen and read enough about APR over the years that I will do almost everything I can to avoid having to run their products. Hardware not so much, but software I won't touch. They did not have a great reputation tuning the CEPA 2.5T in the '12-13 TTRS and if you do enough digging you can track down a fair amount of failed motors. The huge lack of transparency with APR also drives me nuts, it's too much flashy marketing/graphics for me and not enough about owning that they messed up something in the tune and that is why it requires a revision update. YMMV but that's my opinion on APR.

Valves - these are opened depending on throttle/load and are also drive mode dependent. The flaps themselves are just before the exhaust tips. I have the the flaps unplugged on my car and the wires are capped with these and these. One set plugs into the car wiring harness and the other set plugs into the flap control module on the exhaust.

The stock intercooler isn't necessarily a bottle neck, rather it just heat soaks incredibly easily after a single run. Given the additional boost I am running with the stage 2 tune and the heat that likely comes with it, I wanted to have this area covered. You can definitely get away with the stock IC on a Stage 1 and even Stage 1 E85 tune imo.

Touche, sir.

Fantastic stuff, appreciate the insight. I was not aware that APR doesn't allow you to flash the car yourself, so that reason alone makes total sense to go with Unitronic.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

dk2m posted:

Fantastic stuff, appreciate the insight. I was not aware that APR doesn't allow you to flash the car yourself, so that reason alone makes total sense to go with Unitronic.

Happy to help! FWIW, I work with Nemesis Autosport for 99% of the mods that I purchase; unmatched customer service and the level of knowledge they have across an extremely wide spectrum of brands is really reassuring. Ben and Miranda are great, and if you end up deciding to go with Unitronic, I'd suggest reaching out to them.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Fifty Three posted:

So I dipped my wheels when I got new winter tires back in November. I haven't parked my car outside in months, but today I did. I caught sight of it out my window just now and I'm laughing like an idiot all over again.

The picture doesn't really do it justice. In direct sunlight you practically need sunglasses. 10/10.

That stuff is meme tier but also magical. I did a satin black just to protect my stock wheels but next time I might do bronze or copper. I'll take suggestions on what to put on a yellow car though.

I've also wanted to do the RC car whip antenna for a long time, but it almost needs to be a silly neon PVC pipe with a coax cable hanging out the tip to look right.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Ranzear posted:

I've also wanted to do the RC car whip antenna for a long time, but it almost needs to be a silly neon PVC pipe with a coax cable hanging out the tip to look right.

Whichever auto manufacturer redirects partial regen braking energy to produce sparks off the radio antenna as a replacement for decel fuel overrun will be getting my business for life. Double if the antenna makes it look like an RC car.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm still waiting for the theme park ride that is just a giant slot car track including the peg on the cars and turning the wheel lets you drift all the corners while it blasts eurobeat.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's a karting place that we (used to :( ) go to which runs standard karts and some with plastic pipe over one of the rear tyres. This in combination with the surface which is reasonably polished concrete means you can be arse out all over the spot. Highly recommended if you can find somewhere that does it. Racing sucks, big skids are loads more fun.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ranzear posted:

That stuff is meme tier but also magical. I did a satin black just to protect my stock wheels but next time I might do bronze or copper. I'll take suggestions on what to put on a yellow car though.

Panther or fierce pink for maximum weird looks. Also could do yellow or white if you love brake dust.

I did a blue car with blaze orange, it ruled.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

GramCracker posted:

Happy to help! FWIW, I work with Nemesis Autosport for 99% of the mods that I purchase; unmatched customer service and the level of knowledge they have across an extremely wide spectrum of brands is really reassuring. Ben and Miranda are great, and if you end up deciding to go with Unitronic, I'd suggest reaching out to them.

Second this. And man, your car looks fantastic. Can't go wrong with a Uni tune, or all those parts to let her breathe, either!

Yesterday I dropped my VFF-103s to get powder coated. Going with Prismatic Powders' Electro Gold -- the closest finish I could find to match Porsche's/BBS' Weissgold.

Hoping to have them come out looking something like this:

We'll see in a couple weeks!

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 17, 2021

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

Panther or fierce pink for maximum weird looks. Also could do yellow or white if you love brake dust.

Might go with Green Gold Metallic Pearl over Bronze Gold just for raw wackiness while still being fairly dark. I blacked them out because of brake dust, lol. Still gotta pony up for the carbotech ceramics.

Still needs more chrome delete too. The headlight squirters are bullshit to remove.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

TenaciousTomato posted:

Second this. And man, your car looks fantastic. Can't go wrong with a Uni tune, or all those parts to let her breathe, either!

Yesterday I dropped my VFF-103s to get powder coated. Going with Prismatic Powders' Electro Gold -- the closest finish I could find to match Porsche's/BBS' Weissgold.

Hoping to have them come out looking something like this:

We'll see in a couple weeks!

Thank you! Very excited to see how your car comes out with the VFF's in Gold, should look super sharp.

In other news, like a money hating idiot, I now have up-rated injectors to run the E85 tune :downs:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

At the tender age of 39 I have purchased my first car

it is a fully loaded 2004 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD

It has 249,374 miles on the odometer.

It has some minor cosmetic damage.

The heated seats don't work.

BUT IT IS MY loving CAR gently caress YEAH.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
:munch:

I hope you got a good deal on it, because it will hunger mightily for your wallet.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Terrible Robot posted:

:munch:

I hope you got a good deal on it, because it will hunger mightily for your wallet.

Show us on the doll where you have been touched by an S60/70 :)

As I said in IRC, i have driven those a lot and they're really comfortable, so long as it doesn't bankrupt you, it's a good little car... Does the loldex AWD actually work on this one?

Also, check when the timing belt was done last, if you can't find that, DO IT NOW. It's kind of a painful job, but it's cheaper than rebuilding the engine when it breaks.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

chrisgt posted:

As I said in IRC, i have driven those a lot and they're really comfortable, so long as it doesn't bankrupt you, it's a good little car... Does the loldex AWD actually work on this one?

Also, check when the timing belt was done last, if you can't find that, DO IT NOW. It's kind of a painful job, but it's cheaper than rebuilding the engine when it breaks.

Yes, and with the last oil change 2500 miles ago. Mechanically it is in great shape for a car with as many miles as it has.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Try out the AWD tomorrow night in a parking lot when it’s supposed to be slick out. From the outside it looks really well taken care of. Those the leather seats in there too? Nice find.

There are a few specialty shops in town that are great with Volvos (and Saabs) that I can point you to if you have problems; the dealerships around here are pretty bleh.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Kilonum posted:

Hell yeah first car!! Congrats.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Gigi Galli posted:

Try out the AWD tomorrow night in a parking lot when it’s supposed to be slick out. From the outside it looks really well taken care of. Those the leather seats in there too? Nice find.

There are a few specialty shops in town that are great with Volvos (and Saabs) that I can point you to if you have problems; the dealerships around here are pretty bleh.

yeah, leather seats, front passenger is cracked, wheels and driver's seat where taken from a totaled S60 last year according to the old owner. He was selling this because he found a good deal on another Volvo. Apparently his nephew is a Volvo mechanic and did most of the work on this one. Hoping I can get the seat heater fixed before winter. Unfortunately, Not going to be able to drive it until Thursday due to not being able to register it until then. And the rubber I left during the test drive proved the AWD works, got a tad enthusiastic testing the acceleration.

EDIT: Fully on the Volvo bandwagon now, next time I fire up American Truck Simulator my entire fleet is being converted to Volvo VNLs (ETS2 fleet is already all Volvo FHs because POWER)

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 18, 2021

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kilonum posted:

Welcome to the club! :hfive:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Kilonum posted:

Good car. Checking my post history in this thread I posted my own 11 years ago, but it was just the 2.0L (the image has since disappeared). I drove it many years and it was good, only reason I changed was a sizeable dog necessitating an estate.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

Hughmoris posted:

Welcome to the club! :hfive:

Yes welcome :sweden:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Kilonum posted:

yeah, leather seats, front passenger is cracked, wheels and driver's seat where taken from a totaled S60 last year according to the old owner. He was selling this because he found a good deal on another Volvo. Apparently his nephew is a Volvo mechanic and did most of the work on this one. Hoping I can get the seat heater fixed before winter. Unfortunately, Not going to be able to drive it until Thursday due to not being able to register it until then. And the rubber I left during the test drive proved the AWD works, got a tad enthusiastic testing the acceleration.

EDIT: Fully on the Volvo bandwagon now, next time I fire up American Truck Simulator my entire fleet is being converted to Volvo VNLs (ETS2 fleet is already all Volvo FHs because POWER)

This isn’t a dig or anything but serious questions because I’m legitimately curious: How did you manage to go til 39 without a car? Living in a city? Borrowing from friends and family? Did you have a license earlier but just not the car? Again, not being snarky, just wondering.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Imperador do Brasil posted:

This isn’t a dig or anything but serious questions because I’m legitimately curious: How did you manage to go til 39 without a car? Living in a city? Borrowing from friends and family? Did you have a license earlier but just not the car? Again, not being snarky, just wondering.

Did not really need one until the pandemic hit. Since the age of 13 I have lived in Massachusetts, and mostly in the catchment area of the MBTA. I lived in a location for 10 years where I was pretty much across the street from my job which was also a grocery store in an area with adequate public transit. The last 5 years I have lived in a place with... practically non-existent public transit, but I was usually able to get rides from friends when needed as I live a mile from work. Pandemic hit, and suddenly I'm isolated and getting extra money.

Also didn't have a driver's license until 29 days ago.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Kilonum posted:

Did not really need one until the pandemic hit. Since the age of 13 I have lived in Massachusetts, and mostly in the catchment area of the MBTA. I lived in a location for 10 years where I was pretty much across the street from my job which was also a grocery store in an area with adequate public transit. The last 5 years I have lived in a place with... practically non-existent public transit, but I was usually able to get rides from friends when needed as I live a mile from work. Pandemic hit, and suddenly I'm isolated and getting extra money.

Makes total sense.

I’m also 39, but I grew up pretty much the opposite - in suburban NJ where you kinda need a car to do anything even though there is occasional bus service to some places (mall, etc.) but at irregular intervals. I can’t remember a time where I haven’t loved cars. Even as a tiny child in Brasil my parents say I would name every car on the road, even the exotics like Porsche.

I got my license on the day of my 17th birthday and I’ve been mobile ever since. 60+ cars and a dozen or more bikes.

I moved to rural PA for college and stuck around.
There’s basically no option to not have a car here unless you live in a town with a grocery store and that’s also the town in which you work. I did know one guy who didn’t get his license until almost 30 but he was hugely reliant on his aging mother for rides everywhere. When he was getting married to my wife’s cousin, one of her conditions was that he get a license.

Once again congrats on joining the AI gang. Good luck with the Volvo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kilonum posted:

I live in a european city with good public transport and live across the street from our office so I don't really NEED it to survive, but still can't imagine living without a car. It just makes everything so much easier and fun, especially if you ever want to get out of the city.

A friend of mine is your age though and never had a car. So there are many people like you and they are fairly normal. Let's hope the Volvo doesn't make you ride the bus again :)

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, don't need a car for commuting to work and grocery shopping, but I do need one for literally everything else. Work is a mile from home, there's a Trader Joe's next to work, and a different grocery store practically across the street from me.

Honestly, probably still going to walk to/from work on nice days when I'm not closing because I'm 6'1" and 330lbs (186cm/150kg), down from 400lbs (181kg) 2 years ago.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I moved to the US when I was a teen, middle of nowhere Maine. Got my license the week after I turned 16, not only is there no public transport, everything is 10 miles apart.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

chrisgt posted:

I moved to the US when I was a teen, middle of nowhere Maine. Got my license the week after I turned 16, not only is there no public transport, everything is 10 miles apart.

Same, but TX.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
14 1/2 in Montana.

Jesus I've had a license longer than not.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I bought my first car at 35. I grew up in a place where public transport was really good (even if buses decided not to turn up sometimes) and then moved somewhere with equally great buses and trains. There was a 5 year period I had a work van and a fuel card and a boss that encouraged me to use it to drive us both everywhere to go mountainbiking, often with someone sat in the back on a bouldering pad :v:

I didn't need one when I bought one either, I just wanted one. Now I've moved miles away from anything I actually require one to get to work but pandemic times have proven that's pretty much all I need one for.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

StormDrain posted:

14 1/2 in Montana.

Jesus I've had a license longer than not.

Look at these young whipper-snappers. I've had the same job at the same company for more of my life than not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had literally zero interest in even getting my license and had to be pushed to do so in 06. Didn't care what kind of car I had at all until 08, then it all went to poo poo...
08: 1 car
10: 2 cars
10: 3 cars
10: 4 cars (XJs, mj, 5 ton)
11: 4 cars and 2 parts cars
11: 5 cars and 3? 4? Parts cars
12: more parts cars. I stopped keeping track of when I got them at some point
14: 6 cars
15: 8 cars
16: 9 cars and a motorcycle
16: 8 cars

Been cutting back more since then and hopefully I'll be down to 3 soon. Maybe even 2 but I'm torn on selling the Justy, I should but I'm unmotivated.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

chrisgt posted:

On the flip side, my cousin who's lived in Maine his entire life waited until he was in his late 20s to get his license because he got rides from his lobster boat captain/co-workers for over a decade :D

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

If I had gotten my permit at 16 and license at 16.5 (as governed by MA law, and would have been in 1998), I would have learned on a 1982 Ford F150 4x4 with a manual, a 1987 Ford Econoline conversion van with a wheelchair lift, and a 1989 Dodge Diplomat.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Kilonum posted:

If I had gotten my permit at 16 and license at 16.5 (as governed by MA law, and would have been in 1998), I would have learned on a 1982 Ford F150 4x4 with a manual, a 1987 Ford Econoline conversion van with a wheelchair lift, and a 1989 Dodge Diplomat.
There’s some weird perspective - my current cars are older now than that ‘82 F-150 would have been at the time. As is your new car!

Sounds fun, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Learning on the Econoline would have been an adventure. Huge, heavy, 0-60 time of "maybe", and a massive blindspot to the rear.

Actually not sure if the F150 would have happened, as it was registered as commercial.

Also it would have all happened in Medford and Malden, MA