Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hello everyone! Just a quick note to help out the folks who browse by bookmarks. We've started a SH/SC feedback thread and would love it if you stopped by to say hi and let us know what you think.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961558

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Got some new keycaps and a wallpaper to match, and a signed mousemat

Your wall seems unpapered :confused:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Share some of your awesome desk setups with the rest of the forums. The Traveling CCircus Show is in town, for a limited amount of time. SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I got some L-shaped desks from disposals so redid my study.

Left to right is my machine, Flower Power G3 iMac, SFF Lenobo ThinkStation, G4 eMac, wife's machine.
Need to get another pedestal so I can get rid of that old drawer sitting there, and a new screen for the ThinkStation so I can chuck out those phone books and that terrible 768p monitor.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Left to right is my machine, Flower Power G3 iMac, SFF Lenobo ThinkStation, G4 eMac, wife's machine.
Need to get another pedestal so I can get rid of that old drawer sitting there, and a new screen for the ThinkStation so I can chuck out those phone books and that terrible 768p monitor.

Why do you have 3 rando old computers?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

~Coxy posted:

Please tell me all your posting is done from the eMac.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

spunkshui posted:

Why do you have 3 rando old computers?

The ThinkStation isn't old! It's a 6th gen!
(The Macs are for my kids to play Reader Rabbit and KidPix on)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

spunkshui posted:

Why do you have only 3 rando old computers?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Macs are for his kids to play Reader Rabbit and KidPix on.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

~Coxy posted:

The ThinkStation isn't old! It's a 6th gen!
(The Macs are for my kids to play Reader Rabbit and KidPix on)

Be the best dad ever and hook them up with some Jazz Jackrabbit 2. :cool:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
So, keyboard/mouse trays: any good suggestions? I'm in dire need of a good one that I could potentially get both my mouse and keyboard onto, but finding any at all that aren't tiny has proven exceedingly difficult. I'd like to outright get a new desk but right now the only thing I'm looking at (The Fredde) is out of stock so I want to atleast buy the part I was gonna need anyway to mount to the current desk.

E: if there are any other desks with similiar structure/shelf space to the Fredde out there, i'd like to know about that too. my current desk has tons of shelf space and i'd hate to lose that. (mainly because i have nowhere to put all this extra equipment if I don't have shelves)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 25, 2021

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Diabetes Forecast posted:

So, keyboard/mouse trays: any good suggestions? I'm in dire need of a good one that I could potentially get both my mouse and keyboard onto, but finding any at all that aren't tiny has proven exceedingly difficult. I'd like to outright get a new desk but right now the only thing I'm looking at (The Fredde) is out of stock so I want to atleast buy the part I was gonna need anyway to mount to the current desk.

E: if there are any other desks with similiar structure/shelf space to the Fredde out there, i'd like to know about that too. my current desk has tons of shelf space and i'd hate to lose that. (mainly because i have nowhere to put all this extra equipment if I don't have shelves)

This can depend in how much/if you have a small work area and a decent store near you.

I made my keyboard tray out of a Stair Tread. They aren't the deepest in the world, but they are pretty much all smooth (might want to do a light sand) and have a nice rounded edge. Simply chose the stain and/or finish you want, and get some good Drawer Slide's like those if you wish to under mount.

A tip if you under-mount and have a height-adjustable chair. Sit the "tray" on the arm rests and then pop the chair to max height while under the desk. It will hold it there and let you drill the holes and screw it in.

If you can't cut one of those stair treads to length at home, most big stores will cut it for you for a nominal fee (usually a buck or so, if that if it isn't busy).

All in all you should only need a small power drill (less than 20 bucks at walmart or the like), and a screwdriver at a minimum. Add in some foam brushes or the like if you want to stain and/or finish it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Diabetes Forecast posted:

Get a set of slides and a shelf of the desired length. Could also make your own with plywood, etc, but the pre-made shelves are just about the right size.

For example:

https://smile.amazon.com/Metal-Ball-bearing-Keyboard-Slide/dp/B000KQ5E82

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-Chestnut-Laminated-Wood-Shelf-10-in-D-x-36-in-L-2110650/311222499

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Work in progress at my new house.

The Ikea Mosslanda shelf kinda slopes a bit but should be ok with flat stuff. A shame because while upside down they have it displayed like that in their showroom. I wanted a white Lack but they were sold out for now. I’ll probably upgrade down the road to that.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Any recommendations for how to handle cable management on a sit/stand desk? I have a cat 5 cable running to a 4 port router that I have setup so that my work laptop and my PC can both be hardwired but it's free hanging because I don't really know how to cable manage that part since it moves up and down. I also have the power strips power cable with a velcro zip tie around the part of the leg that doesn't move (as well as down the feet), but when the desk is lowered that slack line sort of hangs. Do I just need to accept that my cables will be free hanging and there isn't poo poo I can do, or does anyone have any advice on how to cable manage that part?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SalTheBard posted:

Any recommendations for how to handle cable management on a sit/stand desk? I have a cat 5 cable running to a 4 port router that I have setup so that my work laptop and my PC can both be hardwired but it's free hanging because I don't really know how to cable manage that part since it moves up and down. I also have the power strips power cable with a velcro zip tie around the part of the leg that doesn't move (as well as down the feet), but when the desk is lowered that slack line sort of hangs. Do I just need to accept that my cables will be free hanging and there isn't poo poo I can do, or does anyone have any advice on how to cable manage that part?

You can do a service loop of cable hanging from the back of the desk but have it suspended with an elastic cable so it stretches when up and retracts when down.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Jerk McJerkface posted:

You can do a service loop of cable hanging from the back of the desk but have it suspended with an elastic cable so it stretches when up and retracts when down.

Interesting idea. I might try that

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07WS8BC2S

Works pretty good for sit/stand desk cables that move

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If you miss the old hosed up telephone handset cord days, you can relive them with this https://smile.amazon.com/Curlynet-Spiral-Coiled-Ethernet-Multiple-Lengths/dp/B082PJG26K

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I have this for my sit / stand setup https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7028 and my cables route through that toward my desktop on the floor and I also have some cables in my monitor arm. I also have a pack of these organizers strapped under the desk itself https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FFN2HN6/r

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i once did a show where i had two huge flats rigged up with led panels that had to slide all around the set horizontally and not on a fly system so i rigged up the ethernet with cable retractors and did the powercon by just hanging a really heavy clamp and some other poo poo on the slack offstage so it would stay taught when close (gravity..) and be pulled up taught when far (stage hand..)

e: u might be able to jerry rig a cable retractor by taping a cable or something to a tape measure. ... a thought i had but never got to try. =D

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Any opinion on these?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/266195355/table-legdesk-leg-set-of-4?ref=shop_home_recs_1

For an Ikea Karlby desk. They look pretty solid, I like the adjustable feet, and the price is pretty drat good.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

My desk. Pretty happy with how it turned out!! I have my cat5 cables and the power cables for my desk / subwoofer that hang down, but I don't mind them.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 8, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

fyi there's a readable name and phone # on there

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Inept posted:

fyi there's a readable name and phone # on there

Thank you I totally missed that!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Minor update - got some decorations up now. Thinking about getting some acoustic tiles for the back since there's some echo in the room. A good rug will tie the room together as well.

Future plans also include finally building a 60% mech keyboard and getting more of my prints up around the place. Some more lighting too - need a good desk lamp as that little moon doesn't work well.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

My desk. Pretty happy with how it turned out!! I have my cat5 cables and the power cables for my desk / subwoofer that hang down, but I don't mind them.

lol how does the soundbar sound placed like that

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

shrike82 posted:

lol how does the soundbar sound placed like that

I haven't had computer speakers in years, it's all been headphones. My folks were like "Hey do you want this sound bar?" and I was like "Yeah sure" but I didn't really have a place to put it with my TV and I had been wanting speakers anyways so it just seemed logical to use it with my PC. I think it sounds pretty good, but I also don't have anything to compare it to.

EDIT: Would it be better to have it mounted on the wall or something at ear level?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Minor update - got some decorations up now. Thinking about getting some acoustic tiles for the back since there's some echo in the room. A good rug will tie the room together as well.

Future plans also include finally building a 60% mech keyboard and getting more of my prints up around the place. Some more lighting too - need a good desk lamp as that little moon doesn't work well.

How do you feel about split ergo keyboards?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

I haven't had computer speakers in years, it's all been headphones. My folks were like "Hey do you want this sound bar?" and I was like "Yeah sure" but I didn't really have a place to put it with my TV and I had been wanting speakers anyways so it just seemed logical to use it with my PC. I think it sounds pretty good, but I also don't have anything to compare it to.

EDIT: Would it be better to have it mounted on the wall or something at ear level?

It wasn’t a criticism, just looks very big

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Coredump posted:

How do you feel about split ergo keyboards?

Too weird for my tastes. I could barely handle the Microsoft ones people used for a while (and still do!).

Anything TKL will be cool though - i've been debating if 60% is too much to jump into and to try 84% first as it still has arrows and the page down stuff.

I got some time though - I ordered a keyset off a Canadian KB site (DeskHero) so waiting on those to come in. Might buy the PCB soon and some switches (thinking either box jades or whites).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Too weird for my tastes. I could barely handle the Microsoft ones people used for a while (and still do!).

Anything TKL will be cool though - i've been debating if 60% is too much to jump into and to try 84% first as it still has arrows and the page down stuff.

I got some time though - I ordered a keyset off a Canadian KB site (DeskHero) so waiting on those to come in. Might buy the PCB soon and some switches (thinking either box jades or whites).

Dang cuz I was going to recommend the Microsoft Sculpt. I have a 60% mech, two full size mech's, but the sculpt is my new fave. Have it on my work and personal desktops.

Not my pic, and I don't use the riser they include.

The sculpt has scissor keys compared to the mussy keys of that Natural Ergo whatever number. I have one of those keyboards you linked somewhere in my keyboards I think. That full size split ergo was huge. I like my smaller one so I don't have to reach as far to my mouse.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Coredump posted:

Dang cuz I was going to recommend the Microsoft Sculpt. I have a 60% mech, two full size mech's, but the sculpt is my new fave. Have it on my work and personal desktops.

The sculpt has scissor keys compared to the mussy keys of that Natural Ergo whatever number. I have one of those keyboards you linked somewhere in my keyboards I think. That full size split ergo was huge. I like my smaller one so I don't have to reach as far to my mouse.

FWIW I had a bad experience trying the Sculpt myself, the wireless connection was drat near useless and kept dropping out. I have a wired Kinesis Freestyle 2 at work now that I have... mixed feelings on, but definitely prefer over the form factor and the wirelessness (is that even a word?) of the Sculpt.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Have you been in the keyboard thread? It opened my eyes (and my wallet) on just how extreme things can get, hehe.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Yeah, I've been posting over there recently so you've probably seen me talk about this one & needing to replace my home kb. Nothing special about my home desktop to merit posting short of "still using Vista-badged monitors in 2021" of course.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Alright I'll bite:

Standing desk: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IRYWD4G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Keychron k4 KB
Logitech mx master 3
Dual monitor arms with a couple 24" dells
coffee cup
Batman original drawing by Franco
Dollar store art
white board

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Coredump posted:

i will never reveal the micro soft secret

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

SkyeAuroline posted:

FWIW I had a bad experience trying the Sculpt myself, the wireless connection was drat near useless and kept dropping out. I have a wired Kinesis Freestyle 2 at work now that I have... mixed feelings on, but definitely prefer over the form factor and the wirelessness (is that even a word?) of the Sculpt.

MINE DOES THIS TOO. Don't plug it into USB 3 and if you can, get a little USB extension cable to plug in the receiver. I know that's a lot to go through for a keyboard but I really do like this form factor, I wished they made a wired version.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Coredump posted:

MINE DOES THIS TOO. Don't plug it into USB 3 and if you can, get a little USB extension cable to plug in the receiver. I know that's a lot to go through for a keyboard but I really do like this form factor, I wished they made a wired version.

I just opt for wired everything where I can. Wire tangles happen from time to time but I at least know it's reliable that way. Never trusted wireless to be consistent and likely never will. I have heard that advice and seen it work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Just got a Keychron K3 for my OLED side. Can lives on my PC most of the time.