Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'm inclined to believe it. Going out of your way to tell the court there's text messages when none exist seems like a good way to lose your law license, followed by your life savings in a defamation suit. Asinine choice of an attorney, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Bob Socko posted:

I'm inclined to believe it. Going out of your way to tell the court there's text messages when none exist seems like a good way to lose your law license, and followed by your life savings in a defamation suit. Asinine choice of an attorney, though.

Yeah you aren’t wrong but after seeing the things done back after the election I no longer think it’s possible to actually lose a law license in this country.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The conspiracy theory though doesn’t make sense if you think about it because either you devalue the trade asset or you burn your bridges so bad that you might outright lose your team. What’s the upside?

This became an emotional, illogical power struggle long ago and spite is a hell of a thing. I cannot stress enough just how loving devoid of anything resembling principles Buzbee is. This is the judge who Buzbee clerked with and won many of his cases under: https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Feds-broaden-sex-misconduct-investigation-of-Kent-1671098.php.

If anyone had the gall to do something like this, it’s him.

All this said, the simpler answer is he did it so it’s unfortunately likely true. Unfortunate because I liked Deshaun.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 18, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nodoze posted:

After seeing the new info yeah it's more likely that he did it

I think so, yeah. I read the documents...not good.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah you aren’t wrong but after seeing the things done back after the election I no longer think it’s possible to actually lose a law license in this country.

Rudy DID get disbarred in a couple areas (like DC).

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's a fair take!

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 18, 2021

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think so, yeah. I read the documents...not good.

Rudy DID get disbarred in a couple areas (like DC).

I didn’t know this before January but the Bar Associations are apparently ceremonial poo poo and have no bearing on your right to practice law.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
"Believe accusers" means take claims seriously and investigate. I'm interested in seeing what comes out in deposition.

And as a general I Am Not A Lawyer thing, why is this in civil court instead of the accusers pressing charges? Damages?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Strobe posted:

And as a general I Am Not A Lawyer thing, why is this in civil court instead of the accusers pressing charges? Damages?

In addition to that, if you have evidence on your side it's easier to win than it would be in a criminal case with charges against the accused; with that, you'd have to prove the person's guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, whereas in civil court you just need to prove it's more likely than not the person's guilty

This is why it's pretty assumed if the first masseuse/victim has those texts, it's game over for his defense case argument that she's a complete liar and he has nothing to hide

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
With four accusers my faith in Deshaun is pretty low tbh

This sucks

It won't change the fact that the Texans can go gently caress themselves though, this was true before the accusations and is still true now

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The conspiracy theory though doesn’t make sense if you think about it because either you devalue the trade asset or you burn your bridges so bad that you might outright lose your team. What’s the upside?

"well no one's trading that many firsts for a sex pest so you can either play for us or never play again, up to you"

I do not believe this of course but if you were inclined to believe that sort of thing that's the theoretical play

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1372393330311532549?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Saying nothing about the actual merits of anything it seems like a good strategic move that Deshaun claimed he was asked for a six figure buyout from Buzbee before any of this broke? Like your average person's immediate reaction to the court minimum thing is probably 'well that's some backtracking to try to regain the moral high ground.'

Which is either Deshaun telling the truth (quite possible because Buzbee) or he/his advisors being goddamned monsters who saw where things were going and could identify that he should make that move (also quite possible).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it is just me but if feels asking for just the court minimum feels weird.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The reason they’re trickling cases is to pressure for settlement. The prayer for the minimum amount in controversy is immediately countered when they say “although only asking for the minimum, victims have also suffered emotional distress damages.”

It looks like Watson did some things AND it looks like buzbee is trying to force Watson to settle.

Also, note that none of the allegations have been tested. I can put whatever I want in a complaint. I would have attached screenshots of the texts/IG DMs to the complaint, personally.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The reason they’re trickling cases is to pressure for settlement. The prayer for the minimum amount in controversy is immediately countered when they say “although only asking for the minimum, victims have also suffered emotional distress damages.”

It looks like Watson did some things AND it looks like buzbee is trying to force Watson to settle.

Also, note that none of the allegations have been tested. I can put whatever I want in a complaint. I would have attached screenshots of the texts/IG DMs to the complaint, personally.

Okay yeah, this makes more sense. I was thinking that they're hoping for a settlement, but I still would have assumed that they would be trying to at least recoup the cost of bringing this to court (especially since Buzbee seems like the type to jack up his prices because of who Watson is)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don’t recall if the suit asked for attorney’s fees and don’t know if they’re available in Texas for civil assault, however costs (such as filing fees) are almost always recoverable by the winning party.

The second complaint is mostly copy/paste job and, unless there’s something I’m not seeing, also has no attached evidence in support. We need to get some someone familiar with TX law in here to see if these complaints would stand up to a motion to dismiss. I don’t know how strict Texas is on the matter.

Note, I’m not saying you must attach all of your evidence to a complaint, but if you have something already, it makes it much easier to withstand a motion to dismiss to have it attached. A motion to dismiss is not supposed to look outside the complaint for information. They might have trouble using the texts/DMs at that stage to avoid dismissal.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If it came out that Buzbee got several women to make up the same stories about Watson, (which I like y’all find highly implausible) it’d be the greatest gift any shithead sports fan defending someone on his team accused of rape in the future could ever get

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't think Buzbee is getting people to make stuff up. He does seem like he's trying to pressure Watson into settling, though.

I also don't know Texas rules on pseudonymous filing so it's weird to me that the plaintiff is listed as Jane Doe instead of named, but that may not be an oddity in Texas for this particular cause of action.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I didn’t know this before January but the Bar Associations are apparently ceremonial poo poo and have no bearing on your right to practice law.

This highly depends on the state. In 31 states the bar association is the mandatory organization that regulates the right to practice law in that state. In the others not so much.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
We need this elicit a Texas civil attorney from another message board to come in here and break it down. I just can't get over how much this dude is acting like it's some spectacle or stunt. Like I know that a ton of people think that's how lawyers always behave but you very rarely interact with one professionally that actually does that sort of stuff. Like some weird amalgam of Saul Goodman and Rudy Giuliani.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eifert Posting posted:

We need this elicit a Texas civil attorney from another message board to come in here and break it down. I just can't get over how much this dude is acting like it's some spectacle or stunt. Like I know that a ton of people think that's how lawyers always behave but you very rarely interact with one professionally that actually does that sort of stuff. Like some weird amalgam of Saul Goodman and Rudy Giuliani.

There are a handful of TFF goons that are TX lawyers and will probably poke their head in at some point.

I'm also probably wrong about everything because I don't know TX law or procedure.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Not putting the texts in the complaint is a strange decision if they actually exist and really want to win the case.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The subtext in the coverage of the accusations seems to be that the accusations don't have much credibility because the representation is so suspect. Is there a way an unscrupulous lawyer like Buzbee could plausibly generate accusations from whole cloth without suffering at least some kind of major professional setback?

From my vantage point, it seems like at a minimum Buzbee has multiple professional masseuses who allege misconduct and can prove they've had contact with Watson. Is there a likely explanation that any of that could be fabricated by Buzbee? If not, I don't really see Buzbee's involvement as a particularly pertinent detail about the accusations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fsif posted:

From my vantage point, it seems like at a minimum Buzbee has multiple professional masseuses who allege misconduct and can prove they've had contact with Watson. Is there a likely explanation that any of that could be fabricated by Buzbee? If not, I don't really see Buzbee's involvement as a particularly pertinent detail about the accusations.

Like MN has stated, he could have nipped a lot of this in the bud if he'd included the texts in the original complaint.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

fsif posted:

The subtext in the coverage of the accusations seems to be that the accusations don't have much credibility because the representation is so suspect. Is there a way an unscrupulous lawyer like Buzbee could plausibly generate accusations from whole cloth without suffering at least some kind of major professional setback?

Well as of right now Trumps lawyers still have their law licenses after all their election horseshit.

Still entirely within the realm of possibility that these women were harassed and went in with this instagram lawyer but after 2020 I can't discount the dumb thing.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I will say that even if there is no chance that he could face State bar consequences for this it does seem to be a risk for libel.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Like MN has stated, he could have nipped a lot of this in the bud if he'd included the texts in the original complaint.

Right, so the implication is that these text messages might not exist at all. How far does this go then? Is it possible the accusers don't exist either? Or at least that they're not masseuses or they've very obviously never met Watson? Can Buzbee just file a bunch of weak complaints in an attempt to extort Watson via negative news cycles? If so, this feels like it'd be more a common practice, no? (Or is it actually already really common??)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

fsif posted:

Right, so the implication is that these text messages might not exist at all. How far does this go then? Is it possible the accusers don't exist either? Or at least that they're not masseuses or they've very obviously never met Watson? Can Buzbee just file a bunch of weak complaints in an attempt to extort Watson via negative news cycles? If so, this feels like it'd be more a common practice, no? (Or is it actually already really common??)

Are you asking if fraudulent lawsuits are common?

Not saying it's related to this, but we literally just went through like 5 months of them from our former president.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
They’re filed every single day. They’re extremely common because the average person is very stupid.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

fsif posted:

To play devils advocate, this is literally what trumps lawyers did in several states? Just file unfounded, wholly fabricated civil complaints. And they have faced minimal repercussions, outside of the libel suits from the vote machine manufacturers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I can't say if they should or should not have been attached to the complaint in Texas. Texas seems to have some restrictions on what can be attached to a pleading, so there may be nothing untoward on that front. I wouldn't draw an inference from the lack of attached evidence because I don't really know the scope of Texas rule 59.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I doubt these lawsuits are unfounded. There is some bit of truth in what has occurred. I would not be surprised at all if Watson or any other athlete routinely hit up people on instagram looking for a hookup. I'm sure there is actual prostitution on instagram as well.

We'll just have to wait and see for more info.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm sure there is actual prostitution on instagram as well.

How do you think Jerry found Throatzilla?

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
These allegations really put Watson's thing about loyalty into a potentially new light too. He looks more like a mob boss and less betrayed every man.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Are you asking if fraudulent lawsuits are common?

Not saying it's related to this, but we literally just went through like 5 months of them from our former president.

I guess I'm asking what specifically Buzbee could falsely allege in a complaint without facing serious repercussions (disbarment, libel suit, whatever). Does he at least have to prove to anyone that the accusers exist, or can he just Jane Doe out a dozen more accusers from his imagination?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FizFashizzle posted:

How do you think Jerry found Throatzilla?

:lol:

After looking into TX procedure a bit more, the texts not being attached is routine. The complaints should stand up to a motion to dismiss, and we'll see the full amount of evidence whenever they get to summary judgment proceedings in six months to a year.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

fsif posted:

I guess I'm asking what specifically Buzbee could falsely allege in a complaint without facing serious repercussions (disbarment, libel suit, whatever). Does he at least have to prove to anyone that the accusers exist, or can he just Jane Doe out a dozen more accusers from his imagination?

I don't think Buzbee is falsifying anything. The more I think about this, the more I think that Watson probably solicits people via instagram on a routine basis and generally gets what he expects. This is probably not all that uncommon for NFL players or other celebrities.

I'm curious to see what was actually said in the conversations and how heavily implied the prostitution aspect is implied by Watson.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Well, gently caress.

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1372548014645055488?s=20

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I don’t think someone would make up being so upset that they poo poo themselves. :fork:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
:smith:

Get hosed, Deshaun!