Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

v1ld posted:

rainy using LS counters in World: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z2YFqGKkvw

And some insane stuff in MHXX, but using Brave LS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZOC2rhy7Fc

Their comment on that second video is pretty telling in the effort that has to have gone in to get those perfect runs: "this has been my goal since a long time ago, and now I'm satisfied with MHXX."

I don't know LS, I just like watching rainy.

Now that is some :discourse: LS right there. I really need to get into practice for Foresight Slash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL8D-PT8v5w

also this is a great vid for control schemes

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Been playing the Rise demo a bit, and it's just making me super excited for the full game to come out.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Been playing the Rise demo a bit, and it's just making me super excited for the full game to come out.

Same, only played through 75% of World, and didn't touch Iceborne, but the demo is sinking its claws in me.

I've been trying to do a plunge attack with the greatsword with the wirebug mechanic but it feels like trying to thread a needle during an earthquake, I know there's no tracking per se, but is there a hard lock option to keep my sights on the enemy? I had a quick look to see if there was a menu option but i'm not even entirely sure where to change that stuff within the framework of the demo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Rookoo posted:

Same, only played through 75% of World, and didn't touch Iceborne, but the demo is sinking its claws in me.

I've been trying to do a plunge attack with the greatsword with the wirebug mechanic but it feels like trying to thread a needle during an earthquake, I know there's no tracking per se, but is there a hard lock option to keep my sights on the enemy? I had a quick look to see if there was a menu option but i'm not even entirely sure where to change that stuff within the framework of the demo.

I forget exactly where it is because I don't use it, but yes, there is an option to make the camera lock onto the monster and follow it around. Mess around in the control setting menu (during a hunt) and you'll find it.

RISE COMES OUT SOON :neckbeard:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Rookoo posted:

There should be an option, it was the default in World iirc. It was called "focus camera" i think.

I always have it where you press the button to recenter on the monster cuz keeping it locked can be nightmare with some monsters and areas.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Oh, and the new OP is good poo poo! Glad to see Lance getting some respect before it replaces Hunting Horn as the least-popular weapon :argh:. Yeah, its mobility is so good. There was a dope speedrun in the first Rise demo in which someone used its mobility to perfection, staying glued to Mizutsune with guard dashes and hops, and pursuing it with charge, and it was so satisfying to watch. It's a shame the game doesn't tutorialize the weapons more thoroughly so that more people can see that you basically never need to slowly step around with Lance, but at least the MH community picks up the slack.

My favorite MH community videos are the Artful Maestro tutorials. The Battle Dance video is an excellent guide for pacing Horn combat, and the more Horn-specific breakdowns of moves and recitals did so much to demystify HH for me, and I now consider it to be one of the simpler weapons overall (even before Rise simplified it further). The videos are slickly produced with no "YouTuber Shtick," and the author even made a super chill background track in Fruity Loops based on one of World's signature melodies. The video series is a love letter to Hunting Horn and exists because somebody loves the game and the weapon, and wanted to make something useful for aspiring Horn players. It's nice to see stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAuV5J9JSv4

"Battle Dance" is a perfect description for Horn play. When you get into the flow of Hunting Horn, its combat really does have a graceful, deliberate rhythm to it. Add in the note and recital system, and they combine to give the weapon a true "song and dance" feel* perfectly complementing the weapon's purpose and theme in the game.

*The song is about knocking out dinosaurs.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

I'm skipping the demo to finish some other games and go in fresh, does playing the demo unlock anything cool in the full game or am I OK to skip it

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

cohsae posted:

I'm skipping the demo to finish some other games and go in fresh, does playing the demo unlock anything cool in the full game or am I OK to skip it

If anything it would just be simple mats like honey and potions.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
We gettin' da honey.

https://twitter.com/MHinfo_en/status/1372470281839677443?s=20

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I just started Iceborne and it seems awesome. The question is will I be able to finish it before Rise arrives.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Star posted:

I just started Iceborne and it seems awesome. The question is will I be able to finish it before Rise arrives.

I finished it in a like 2 weeks, you got this!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Star posted:

You can do it!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Star posted:

Depends what you mean by finish. Finish the story? Yes. Fight every possible monster? Not without help.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

Oh, and the new OP is good poo poo! Glad to see Lance getting some respect before it replaces Hunting Horn as the least-popular weapon :argh:.

It is not a mistake the new OP is big on lance and also mentions falling in love with lance in 3U and never really being able to look back. :)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i am so excited for this, y'all

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Star posted:

I'm in the same boat, but I've been playing IB for like 4 weeks and haven't made it even halfway through the main quest cause I keep getting sidetracked. I just picked up the lance on a whim and have completely dropped off the story cause it's so cathartic to go back and fight all the big dumb lizards that gave me trouble with SnS.

MHW might be the only game I've ever played that I've put 170+ hours into and am still not bored. I'm legit concerned how much time I'm going to spend on Rise as I won't be tethered to my computer anymore :negative:

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Gunlance is turning out to be a lot of fun in World. Started with Normal and now using the Jyura Wide which is also much fun and a lot easier. They feel so different in style - I know that's the gunlance's thing, but it's neat to see how varied the playstyles are.

LR World MP seems busted, which is sad. Almost every SOS, mine or helping others, has had folks with end game gear jumping in and trivializing the hunt. In a couple of cases they didn't even notice or care that it was a capture and blew the mission.

World is still so fun. It's my 4th or 5th completely new start and the game feels fresh as you work your way through LR/HR.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
think you can set what hunter ranks you want to answer your own SoS flares so MR dudes dont come in and nuke whatever you're fighting. Prob not a lot of LR hunters tho

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Oh, neat. Will do that. Better to have no one than the nuker - since the goal is to learn the gunlance not just blitz through LR.

I like the gear grind/gratification loop in this game so much. Need two Rath spikes to make the Rath Normal gunlance, so it's time to break its back/cut tail with gunlance for eg.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 18, 2021

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Im so excited for Rise. I convinced 5 of my irl friends to try the demo and pick this up and for 4 of them its their first Monster Hunter. Cant wait to teach them the ropes and make them into proper hunters

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"
Same! I got my Brother In Law to try World and he enjoyed it, so I pre-ordered him a copy of Rise so I'll have someone to play with.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I'm in the same boat, but I've been playing IB for like 4 weeks and haven't made it even halfway through the main quest cause I keep getting sidetracked. I just picked up the lance on a whim and have completely dropped off the story cause it's so cathartic to go back and fight all the big dumb lizards that gave me trouble with SnS.

MHW might be the only game I've ever played that I've put 170+ hours into and am still not bored. I'm legit concerned how much time I'm going to spend on Rise as I won't be tethered to my computer anymore :negative:

Same here. I was planning to gun through the story quite fast but I’m already sidetracked. There’s just so many fun weapons and armors to hunt for...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My only goal with Rise is to reach HR asap and then start dicking around / craft every single armor I can.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I know HH is getting all sorts of buffs and stuff but I liked my MHW horn too much and I feel like I should main something different for Rise. The autoplay of songs kinda takes some of the gameplay out for me

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

I know HH is getting all sorts of buffs and stuff but I liked my MHW horn too much and I feel like I should main something different for Rise. The autoplay of songs kinda takes some of the gameplay out for me

I'm going the other way. I was GS main through MHW and it didn't quite feel right to me in the demo. Hearing HH is getting buffed and easier to use makes me think it might be a good weapon to try to main in Rise, at least early on.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

horn was never not easy to use. it is genuinely one of the easiest weapons to get a grasp on.

also apparently/hopefully the alternate style for horn is closer to what it's traditionally been so i can continue to enjoy that once everyone forgets about the weapon again after like 2 weeks

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lance will be the best weapon no one uses so if you’re looking for something else...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

After playing with World :gaz: for some time, the Rise Horn, which initially blew me away, feels much less interesting to me now. It'll still be fun and it's an incredibly effective weapon from what we've seen so far, but yeah, it's basically a brand new weapon, a Horn reboot, and I'll miss the old one. I'm curious to see what its swappable moves will be. I want echo spin spam on downed monsters!

Horn and Lance both suffer from poor tutorializing. World Horn was quite easy to pick up once I watched those Artful Maestro videos, and I've blathered enough about how poorly the game points the player toward Lance's excellent mobility.

Shine fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 18, 2021

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lance will be the best weapon no one uses so if you’re looking for something else...

I'm a sucker for the neglected weapons in these games (because none of them are actually bad just not as popular) so that may be what I do.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Oxyclean posted:

I was GS main through MHW and it didn't quite feel right to me in the demo.

yeah this

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

N’thing the disappointment at the horn change up. I used horn for all of IB and it sucks to see it turn soft.

drat kids tootin on my lawn like it’s nothing!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

tokenbrownguy posted:

N’thing the disappointment at the horn change up. I used horn for all of IB and it sucks to see it turn soft.

drat kids tootin on my lawn like it’s nothing!

Get with the times Grandpa. :v:

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007
Thank you for the hori split pro recommendation this thing feels amazing. Incredible how badly nintendo designs controllers— they reached blazing glory with the SNES but that was apparently too close to the sun because every generation since has been weird and terrible.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Running Slugger 5, Felyne Slugger, and Impact mantle is so much fun. Maximum bonking.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Baseline World is so fun all by itself, always re-discover it every time I do another start - even after at least 3 complete runs and a couple more deepish runs. Thought I'd jump in to learn the Gunlance and here I'm doing all the requests and generally playing it like it's the first time. The early levels of the game have a charm that doesn't fade.

Even the cool ecology they put together for the game stays fresh. Just dropped down to the vale for the first time this run and get to see the handler speculate on the ecology - so much that's well thought through in the game.

Gunlance is great, I'm back to Normal again with the Rath weapon and the rotation is so much smoother now after some time with Wide. Have the requisite hideous LR set with high metal legs for Capacity Boost that I know so well from CB. Just put together Artillery 3 to go with that.

MH does the pleasure of putting your build together better than any other game I've player. And also the annoyance of getting 5(!) Rath Plates on the way to grinding 2 Spikes.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Shine posted:

After playing with World :gaz: for some time, the Rise Horn, which initially blew me away, feels much less interesting to me now. It'll still be fun and it's an incredibly effective weapon from what we've seen so far, but yeah, it's basically a brand new weapon, a Horn reboot, and I'll miss the old one. I'm curious to see what its swappable moves will be. I want echo spin spam on downed monsters!

Horn and Lance both suffer from poor tutorializing. World Horn was quite easy to pick up once I watched those Artful Maestro videos, and I've blathered enough about how poorly the game points the player toward Lance's excellent mobility.

ive been dootin since Tri and while it's different I like rise hh, but actually am sorta the opposite on you with reactions to the demo.

TBH I was sorta down on it against mizu and great izuchi cuz it felt like you can sorta just mash and do whatever. it felt very 1 dimensional and I wasn't into it.

Magnamalo made me actually learn the weapon and I'm very into it now. Weaving through monster attacks with the iframes on the new perform/cancel is really cool. I also like how I'm not boxed into doing the one AUXL song over and over again and waiting for the openings to do the perform/encore/etc. Generally speaking you can just go between moves now as their animations fit well--and I'm sure people will min-max the best possible combos eventually but for now anyway it does feel way more fluid.

I do miss the spinny spam you did in iceborne, but I also like the new system a lot and I'm excited to see what different horns have.

The other thing is HH was almost always the least played weapon, so from a game designer point of view you can see why that would push them to change things up. I'm kind of a big fan of the hyper aggressive style now with weaker(?) buffs that last shorter, forcing you to keep wailing on the monster to keep them up.

Also like with everything there's stuff we haven't seen yet.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

As long as 'this is the least played weapon' doesn't justify massive changes to gunlance or not-gunlance. Those are perfect and good.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Where's the chart of easiest to most complex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Injuryprone posted:

Where's the chart of easiest to most complex?

The new OP will have a guide for this. There's a rough draft a page or two back.

I'm messing with Rise Horn again, since no amount of my whining will make it the World Horn, so I may as well approach it as a new thing to experience on its own merits. The new perform (just ZR) feels really good. Seems to have very generous iframes, and the follow-up attack comes out pretty quickly. It's a very stylish move, and iframing through an attack and scoring a KO with the attack feels super nice. I appreciate as well all the new combo attacks, giving Horn some middle ground between single swings and lengthy DPS attacks. In particular, the kick-up attack (that you can use after an overhead swing or super pound) comes out pretty quick, so I've used that a lot to sneak in a bit of extra damage when I don't have time for a Mag Trio or the "hit them really loving hard" wirebug attack.

It is a dope weapon. I enjoy it. I will miss the more musical feel of the World Horn, but the new Horn is still going to be my submain after Lance, most likely. Side-stepping Rathian's tail swipe and QTAB stunning her out of the sky is as satisfying as ever.