Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm crossposting this because I could not stop laughing at the 100 year old virign chad meme and it is on brand for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I still listen to CDs and have a big shelf full of them. I am also starting to get annoyed that after taking the time to rip them, I can't find an android app that will play tracks seamlessly, without a half second hitch as it loads the next song.

I've not used it in ages but poweramp always used to be my go to player

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I use Foobar on pretty much basic settings because I've never taken the time to wrap my head around what the gently caress I can do with it (which is supposed to be a lot).

Also, I had my second Covid vax yesterday and in addition to the sore arm, I also feel somewhat unwell today, so I'm sat at home while I try to get a grip on how much of this is tiredness and how much could be post-vax malaise.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
George Galloway has gone full blown Britnat gammon what a political journey.

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1372298741466664961

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 18, 2021

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think I'm the outlier. Isn't this literally a line in one of the Dahl books? Pacts with the devil come at a cost.

Dahl - not someone whose company you really want to be in - was talking about ugliness, not age, but it's all the same poo poo. Being Tory makes you dress, and cut your hair, in Tory ways. It absolutely does not make you bald, grey, or wrinkly.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

George Galloway has gone full blown Britnat gammon what a political journey.

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1372298741466664961

I feel like he's committing a fallacy here, but I just can't remember which one...

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Prioritisation of delayed operations by whether you need to get back to work instead of triaged by need or by time on waiting lists? Can’t see how that could be weaponised by our press

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ooh I'll bear that in mind either for 1st April or 1st May. (Just checked the artist is on bandcamp).

I'm hoping to see a connected band (Igorrr) with same artists (my fave Laure Le Prunenec) in December

A person of culture I see. Another avenue for revenue for artists beyond merch are vinyl releases. So if you have a record player you, too, can enjoy the experience of putting on some really fancy pressings, like this one.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Ferrosol posted:

Add me to that list. I campaigned for the prick at the last election. 13 hours I spent on election day not to mention going out several nights a week beforehand. Did he show up to help? Did he gently caress. He always had somewhere "important" to be which turned out to be taking Saudi money to say sawing journalists in half is cool and good.

To make matters worse he immediately turned round after the election and blamed Jeremy Corbyn for him losing and not the fact that he's the biggest FBPE around in a constituency that voted 2/3rds leave. Just one more prick in the long chain of lovely MP's we've had over the years. The nicest thing you can say about him is that he isn't James Wharton.

Here's hoping his humiliation is large and spectacular

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oh dear me posted:

Dahl - not someone whose company you really want to be in - was talking about ugliness, not age, but it's all the same poo poo. Being Tory makes you dress, and cut your hair, in Tory ways. It absolutely does not make you bald, grey, or wrinkly.

It is amazing how desperate the fuckers are to get old, though.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

A person of culture I see. Another avenue for revenue for artists beyond merch are vinyl releases. So if you have a record player you, too, can enjoy the experience of putting on some really fancy pressings, like this one.

Yeah vinyl is great. I like having the physical thing that I know isn’t going to vanish overnight if a service provider shuts down, they usually come with download codes these days too

A vinyl collection is a total ballache if you ever have to move house though.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1372251634995236864

Not sure this needs an article to say: cocaine, offshore accounts and then more cocaine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lungboy posted:

https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1372251634995236864

Not sure this needs an article to say: cocaine, offshore accounts and then more cocaine.

Don't forget the hookers. It's vitally important to point out that the fash Big Man can't get it without paying for it, especially if it comes out (and it will) that he was seeing Polish, Romanian or black girls.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The Ben bradley tweet about being a spy was I guess provably false.

Remember when he was forced to apologise on twitter and the tried to bury it under a bunch of retweets but it nonetheless became the most popular MP tweet of all time?

Good times

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
https://twitter.com/Beeestonia/status/1372146554593808390?s=19

https://twitter.com/Beeestonia/status/1372451734644219906?s=19

tory mp's islamophobic and anti-semitic best buddy and office manager uses electoral roll details to doorstep harass shocker*

*level of shock relative to past experience, terms and conditions apply

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Minicurve got dress coded for....wearing tights that are “too thin”. Errr wut? They are just normal tights you weirdos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like too sheer? The gently caress kinda creep gives a poo poo about what colour kids tights are?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just black 40 denier, and she’s 5ft so they are more like 60 on her (super dark)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

DesperateDan posted:

https://twitter.com/Beeestonia/status/1372146554593808390?s=19

https://twitter.com/Beeestonia/status/1372451734644219906?s=19

tory mp's islamophobic and anti-semitic best buddy and office manager uses electoral roll details to doorstep harass shocker*

*level of shock relative to past experience, terms and conditions apply

This is my constituency!

Darren Henry is loving useless

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

StarkingBarfish posted:

This is why I went electric. There are some very good home pizza ovens these days.

What? That’s amazing - they all used to be poo poo, what’s the one you have? I want it if it makes pizza like that.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

OwlFancier posted:

Like too sheer? The gently caress kinda creep gives a poo poo about what colour kids tights are?

This just brought back a vivid memory of my secondary school Religious Studies teacher telling the class that in their day teachers would regularly inspect girls' underwear to make sure they weren't breaking uniform rules, and the collective WTF look we shared with each other after hearing them say that like it was no big deal.

britishschools.txt

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Incidentally her school are mad as hell at minicurve because she’s a super genius and has decided to leave at the end of year 12 with the 2 A level CDM equivalent, (and the engineering qualifications the other college and it’s parent university will treat as 2 A levels), so she can re-start her A level years and get another 4 for free. Alongside tight nonsense I know for a Fact that they will have to submit her to the board in April, but her “lesson plan” is to the end of the school year.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jackhunter64 posted:

This just brought back a vivid memory of my secondary school Religious Studies teacher telling the class that in their day teachers would regularly inspect girls' underwear to make sure they weren't breaking uniform rules, and the collective WTF look we shared with each other after hearing them say that like it was no big deal.

britishschools.txt

I don't know if it's a universal thing but my school had the worst RS teachers. It's the one subject that didn't seem to require any real knowledge or qualification beyond "is Christian" and "is homophobic".

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Our RS teacher at our all white school went off the reservation, told us about anything but Christianity, would turn up to lessons dressed as Lawrence of Arabia and dedicated a shitload of time to AIDS education and anti-homopbia. No one grassed on him and he buggered off back to doing AIDS prevention work in Africa after two years. (Edit: He also turned an entire school vegetarian)

His elderly replacement spent his time telling us to read books we liked while inventing a seatbelt for dogs which he sold to a company and retired on.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The Irish Data Protection Commission are trying to be the most regulatoraly captured of any captured regulator in the world, which in a crowded field is no mean feat, and I feel like they should get more support from all of us;

The Irish Times posted:

Ireland’s data protection commissioner (DPC) Helen Dixon has triggered an unprecedented war of words with other EU regulators, dragging into the open a long-simmering stand-off over its oversight of Facebook and other US tech companies based in Dublin.

Germany’s federal data regulator (BfDI) has accused Ms Dixon in a letter of making “simply false” claims about her and others’ work while Austrian privacy campaigner Max Schrems in another letter says the DPC’s narrative on his long-running Facebook complaint “greatly departs from objective facts”.

Last month Ms Dixon requested a hearing at the European Parliament to respond to claims about the DPC made during a hearing of its civil liberties, justice and home affairs (LIBE) committee.

That hearing last September focused on the legality of Facebook’s transfer of EU citizens data to the US, subject of a long-running complaint filed by Mr Schrems with the DPC.

The LIBE committee agreed to her request but, on Wednesday, said “the Irish DPC has declined to participate in the meeting under the format set”.

After its September hearing, the LIBE committee issued a draft resolution critical of the DPC’s work. This contained a strong condemnation of the Irish regulator’s efforts to shift onto Mr Schrems some costs of a round of legal action the DPC had itself initiated, which went to the European Court of Justice (CJEU) in Luxembourg.

Such an approach to legal costs “would have created a massive chilling effect” on EU citizens registering complaints with the DPC in future, the committee said. It called on the European Commission to “start infringement procedures against Ireland for not properly enforcing” European data protection regulations (GDPR).

Last month Ms Dixon, in an eight-page letter seen by The Irish Times, described the parliamentary committee’s criticism of the DPC’s work as “inaccurate and incomplete” and requested a chance to present her side of the argument.

“The accompanying ‘strong condemnation’ of the DPC’s actions is neither sustainable nor appropriate and should be withdrawn,” she wrote.

On the most recent CJEU case, Ms Dixon said she felt bound to seek guidance from Luxembourg on particular kinds of transatlantic data transfers in line with an earlier Luxembourg ruling. The LIBE critical draft resolution “would serve only to deepen common misconceptions” about the subsequent CJEU ruling on the case.

Mr Schrems disagrees in a letter to the LIBE committee, saying the DPC “pretended for five years that the solution in the law did not exist – just to send the case back to the CJEU... [and] kick the can down the road”.

In her February letter, Ms Dixon said her office was Europe’s “only supervisory authority to engage with EU-US transfers in a meaningful way, or at all”.

That prompted a robust response from Germany’s federal data protection regulator (BfDI) Ulrich Kelber. In a letter to the LIBE committee he said Ms Dixon’s perception of fellow regulators’ work ethic on data transfers “reflect her personal, one-sided view with which she often stands isolated” in EU circles.

New GDPR data protection rules came into force in 2018, giving the DPC regulator a lead role in overseeing Ireland-based US tech companies.

Of 50 complaints about Facebook subsidiary WhatsApp he has forward to Dublin, “not one has, to date, been concluded”.

He accused Ms Dixon of being very protective of her lead role on regulating companies like Facebook, an approach he said “inhibits a certain amount of initiatives of other regulators”.

That Ireland’s DPC had the lead in 196 EU data cases, of which just four had reached a ruling, “means a clear backlog in processing cases in the Irish regulatory authority cannot be denied”.

The DPC did not respond to requests for comment

The letters and the responses are available on https://www.noyb.eu - which is an absolutely brilliant resource if you’re involved with personal data in any capacity - but the language the DPC are using is incredible, accusing the rest of the EU of making backroom deals and ganging up on Ireland through the medium of public committee hearings. It’d be funny if it wasn’t serious. I think it might lead to Ireland being sanctioned in a properly meaningful way as well. Hope the taxes they’re raising from these firms can offset any fines :lol:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

learnincurve posted:

Incidentally her school are mad as hell at minicurve because she’s a super genius and has decided to leave at the end of year 12 with the 2 A level CDM equivalent, (and the engineering qualifications the other college and it’s parent university will treat as 2 A levels), so she can re-start her A level years and get another 4 for free. Alongside tight nonsense I know for a Fact that they will have to submit her to the board in April, but her “lesson plan” is to the end of the school year.

If there's one thing that schools hate more than disruptive children, it's excessively smart children. I sometimes feel like I've spent years banging my head against a brick wall. "We consider all children to be gifted" gently caress off.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
If there's one thing I hate it's the whole gifted children with separate schools for gifted children concept, talk about learning ubermensch notions from a young age.... That's not a thing that is legal in Finland at least, the school system is focused on fostering equality and working in groups rather than rugged invidualism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm skeptical of the notion of gifted children because they thought I was one and lol no I was just an early peaker.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

OwlFancier posted:

I'm skeptical of the notion of gifted children because they thought I was one and lol no I was just an early peaker.

same but I also got to experience how schools treated you if you peak extremely early and are a bad kid which uh, I can't recommend really, to anyone.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

Same. 'Gifted' just meant we were allowed to take a GCSE in general studies in year 9 and go to summer school though so luckily it didn't make much difference.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The UK doesn't have any kind of gifted children schools or anything does it? You just get put into a class with all the other kids perceived as least likely to eat their own stationery.

You need to be rich to get a better class of education in this country, they don't give a gently caress how smart you are.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Gifted children don't need nurturing into super-geniuses, they need to be taught how to learn even though they seem to absorb everything easily. And maybe be checked for ADHD even though they're not "naughty" or "thick".

Signed, me

Also, Apple Music plus vinyl is the top combo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think nothing retarded my development more than being put in special nerd classes. I'd wager a large proportion of posters itt were similarly know-it-alls who were told they had a big brain at a young age and then became terminally lazy wastrels over the years.

I mean I have qualifications and a decent job now but still lol at giving "smart" kids extra attention, seems kinda backwards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I buggered up uni and college because I spent all school just knowing enough to get by without doing anything.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

"They" being my parents thought similar stuff, so I am too very skeptical of the whole notion in retrospect.

This also affects how I look at my own kids, don't really have that rose tinted parental view of them. Sorry to say, but they aren't the cleverest of the crop, in a lot of ways they're behind average at the moment, but they're happy and social kids, more than average, which probably serves people better than brains do.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

OwlFancier posted:

Me too except nobody thought I was gifted and I peaked low

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also honestly just don't like academia. I don't know that I ever did even when I was good at it. It doesn't make me happy and it's completely unsustainable into adulthood with ADD. If they'd stuffed me into some sort of practical skill class I would have probably turned out a lot happier.

Continuity NIP posted:

Me too I just peaked low

By "early" I mean like, year 6. I haven't improved much since and if anything my spelling has only gotten worse.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobstar posted:

Gifted children don't need nurturing into super-geniuses, they need to be taught how to learn even though they seem to absorb everything easily. And maybe be checked for ADHD even though they're not "naughty" or "thick".

Signed, me

Yes hello. It's me who pissed off my primary school by leaving after Year 5 having won a full scholarship to a fancy secondary school, depriving them of my baller SATS results, then coasted through secondary school without ever really learning how to work at things until things eventually got difficult and I ended up with some mediocre A Levels at 16. Then slacked through uni, scraped a 2:1, job done. No First to put on the big wall at school though, what a disappointment I must have been.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

I also honestly just don't like academia. I don't know that I ever did even when I was good at it. It doesn't make me happy and it's completely unsustainable into adulthood with ADD. If they'd stuffed me into some sort of practical skill class I would have probably turned out a lot happier.

God yes, this. In my country, for secondary schools you had the Lycée Classique (for clever academic kids) and the Lycée Technique (for thickos to learn trades) - it wasn't explicitly stated like this, but that was the general impression. It's quite 11+ like, but I think done on discussion with parents and teacher, rather than a test.

Of course there was no question of me going to the Technique, because I was "gifted", even though I would probably have loved to learn electronics and electrical engineering and stuff.

sebzilla posted:

Yes hello. It's me who pissed off my primary school by leaving after Year 5 having won a full scholarship to a fancy secondary school, depriving them of my baller SATS results, then coasted through secondary school without ever really learning how to work at things until things eventually got difficult and I ended up with some mediocre A Levels at 16. Then slacked through uni, scraped a 2:1, job done. No First to put on the big wall at school though, what a disappointment I must have been.

Hello friend. You did "better" than me, I got totally lost in university level physics, drew a penguin on my 2nd year mechanics exam, dropped out and went to learn how to do something practical instead. Best decision ever.

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

Hard same, but with even worse Higher results (I got 2 Highers at C, and only after I failed them the first year and had to redo them. Which meant having to drop Spanish to make space on my timetable, that was a bummer.

I definitely cruised by until it wasn't enough and then didn't know how to do any different.