Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Were lootboxes even a thing when SC started? They'd certainly have blockchained ships if it had been trendy at the time, and the citizen would have eaten it up.

On that note, when the hell did it start again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
We wanna get this into your hands as soon as possible!

*never seen again*

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Star Citizen: a real game that exists, just not in the real world

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Popete posted:

We wanna get this into your hands as soon as possible!

*never seen again*

Seriously though *checks notes* ToW was never intended to be played like you might play a game or indeed even a single component of a larger game, it was always just intended to be a test bed to prototype our never done before person vs person shooter action in an enclosed arena type situation (if only there was a less clumsy term for a "person vs person shooter action in an enclosed arena type situation" to emphasise how it's never been done before) for benchmarking purposes.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Very sorry that you assumed when we announced this at CitCon 2019 and had a playable demo there and said we wanted to get this out to you by early spring 2020 you took that to mean you'd actually get to play it. Obviously that's not what we ever intended this was always an internal test bed.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Popete posted:

Very sorry that you assumed when we announced this at CitCon 2019 and had a playable demo there and said we wanted to get this out to you by early spring 2020 you took that to mean you'd actually get to play it. Obviously that's not what we ever intended this was always an internal test bed.

Yes that's right and indeed *checks notes* up has always been down, white has always been black and we have always been at war with Eastasia.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

This part of the X4 livestream where they go over the mechanics of their game is just absolutely devastating when held up against SC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lopIzozYlbQ&t=4268s

It's like an hour of one incredibly deep mechanic after another, all while the dev flies around a functional game doing stuff that CIG still struggles to implement- docking, undocking, walking around inside ships, on and on.

once again, I feel it's important to note that this is a less-than-20 employee company. that includes everyone, not just developers.

granted I've read that some work is contracted out, likely audio and art, but it can't be a ton because their finances aren't massive either I'm seeing numbers between 1 and 1.5m, so less than 100k/employee

poo poo if you gave Egosoft 5 million, they could probably deliver the practical parts of star citizen

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Were lootboxes even a thing when SC started? They'd certainly have blockchained ships if it had been trendy at the time, and the citizen would have eaten it up.

There was a scam crypto linked here years ago where the woman just like, faked the currency and it was basically just an excel sheet or something while collecting millions before vanishing.

I expect Star Citizen would be more that.

Except without the vanishing, and with the citizens be like "it's not a scam I didn't get scammed no scams here tweet tweet tweet" as they've done for years.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, hear me out, how about star citizen with unified first, second, and third person perspectives?

Hire me Croberts!

Maplestory had them like a billion years ago. FIFA also has a long loving story of bleeding people out with them.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 18, 2021

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Star citizen won't have loot boxes...

To test our new physicalised inventory system we are running a cargo box lottery !! it's 10 dollars gets you a random 1scu container that has a physicalised item you can test for your self. You may even get lucky and get a limited addition tonk or keys to an unannounced ship.

Its not a loot box for kids it's a lottery for rich responsible adults we know you are.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I wonder how much of that went straight into Chris' pocket?

He set up his own mocap company to do it all, right?

So he gets paid as the boss at CIG, then paid again as the boss of the mocap studio?

Or was I mistaken?

They used the imaginarium to start with now one of they many corporate shells is CIGs own mocap studio. Basically setting up another business with backer money that could be justified "as for the game"

Its not illegal just another way Chris has enriched him self. It's probably the one of the more classy bits of Grift in this debacle.

On the plus side it reduces the cost of not having your poo poo together when you go to do expensive mocap work making rework cheaper.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mirificus posted:

Right now, in it's current state, no other game in development or even finished for that matter can claim to be anywhere close to just the massive asset count in SC alpha. And all rendered far beyond a normal alpha level of fidelity.

1. This is a downright hilariously false statement. For sheer asset size, something like Second Life or Roblox absolutely dwarfs SC by several factors of 10. As well as like, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XIV, etc. etc. etc.

Honestly comparing it to MOST MMOs, it has a very small amount of content and assets. Not just the lack of missions, but all they have to toot their horns on is they have like 20 ships? Have these people no clue the amount of armor models and assets in the average MMO? Lmao. The amount of monster models and animations? CIG has all of... 1 monster that is early in animation?

2. "rendered far beyond a normal alpha level of fidelity" is a bad thing. There's a reason why the industry doesn't go full ham on fidelity during a loving alpha, when so much is potentially still in flux.

But the best part is

3. They have to specify "for an alpha" because they know if they claimed SC was the best looking game on the market they'd be laughed out of town. They themselves know that's so absurd, even the Chris Roberts reality distortion field can't possibly support such an obvious mistruth. So they have to somehow spin that it being this good looking in alpha is a good thing and means it'll somehow be even better looking when it comes out. (never)

Love Jenny.

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPFNIXgF32Q

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

The animation to put on and remove a helmet is very tricky because it needs to work in 1st person and in 3rd person perspective and in real-time and in a multiplayer environment where other players can see your actions.

Due to the unified 1st/3rd person character rigs they can't just fake it. This is a big difference to your average AAA game.

Fun fact: if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

Fun Fact: if the entire industry is doing something that's called a "best practice" and doing bad business strategy just to ~think different~ is stupid.

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Two friends of mine made a multiplayer space combat game after college that used this exact solution. The actual ship movement and combat players saw out the window of their ship was all drawn from a tiny map while player models ran around on static ships. If they could figure out how to do this and make it seamless a decade ago with no real prior game development experience, Full Sail University is seriously failing CIG hires

The problem is all the young Full Sail people at CIG are like Senior Animator or Lead Tools Developer.

They're not allowed to do the server architecture. That's exclusive to Chris Roberts' genius vision (Narrator: it was not genius)

Seriously if Chris just LET SOMEONE AT CIG DESIGN THE GAME they'd be done by now. He's unbelievably toxic to game development because he has no idea what he wants but also demands everything is the way he wants.

Much like the last season of Game of Thrones, they both have the money to make something great and they have the talent to make something great, but the talent is being told to do pants-on-head stupid ideas by the person in charge, who gets final say.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 18, 2021

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

shrach posted:

Kind of. These days they just say:

But originally they had a few extra lines

So while it includes all sub-contractors, you can see directly the bumps they describe in 2014-2015 very obviously and then so on. We know there is still some element to it each year. So probably only $30-40m in mocap!

I always love your dive into the accounts.

Let's call it 50 million for simplicity, a typical Pixar film budget is $200 million. My Google Fu tells me 66% of this likely production cost so call is 130 million.

Means they have spent enough on movie production to make 40% of a block buster Pixar film.

Them cut scenes are going to be something ....

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

DigitalPenny posted:

Star citizen won't have loot boxes...

To test our new physicalised inventory system we are running a cargo box lottery !! it's 10 dollars gets you a random 1scu container that has a physicalised item you can test for your self. You may even get lucky and get a limited addition tonk or keys to an unannounced ship.

Its not a loot box for kids it's a lottery for rich responsible adults we know you are.

Call 'em "Sealed War Surplus Containers," claim the number available is limited, and offer concierge/subscribers the opportunity to buy "deluxe" versions with a chance of rarer items (new money only, please), and you're almost at CIG-level griftiness. Though Ponzi on the previous page was 100% correct: at no point would they give anybody an actual ship in a lootbox, but by god every other lootbox would have a coupon for 10% off ship purchases over $300 (new money only, PLEASE).

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I think Korean free to play games have had them for well over a decade now. Once free to play became more of a thing in the US they started showing up here but i feel like it wasn't until they stated showing up in paid games that the outrage really grew.

On the non mobile side, Team Fortress 2 is the first US pc game i remember them in. FIFA ultimate team had them for ages as well but was off the radar until accounts started getting hacked for cards. Once they showed up in Overwatch in 2016 is when i remember press and stuff starting to pick up on it.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"The first known instance of a loot-box system is believed to be an item called "Gachapon ticket" which was introduced in the Japanese version of MapleStory, a side-scrolling MMORPG, in June 2004. Such tickets were sold at the price of 100 Japanese yen per ticket. Like real-life gachapon machines, players attained randomly chosen game items when they used the ticket on "Gachapon", an in-game booth that was distributed across the game world."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loot_box and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gashapon (which you might know from real life)

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I'm watching WoolieVs play Yakuza games and they really get me thinking about fidelity. I mean Star Citizen has this big sterile world with hot dog vendors. Yakuza has a much small area but it looks so lived in and their is so much to do.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I'm sure Yakuza is something that SC someday hopes to be with the sheer amount of crazy stuff you can do... but hey, you can put a water bottle in a specific jacket you can buy apparently. That's pretty much Tier 0 Yakuza right there.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I'm sure Yakuza is something that SC someday hopes to be with the sheer amount of crazy stuff you can do... but hey, you can put a water bottle in a specific jacket you can buy apparently. That's pretty much Tier 0 Yakuza right there.
I feel like the organized crime side of Star Citizen is more than Tier 0

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

trucutru posted:

Season passes make more sense. Gold one ($1000) gives you all 4 basic ships this year and Plat ($3000)also includes the big end of year one. No refunds.

the fee amortized over several months also helps sell it, ie:

"Platinum subscription is only $250/month, I've spent more on a single night at the strip club and/or other stuff I hide from my wife."

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

text editor posted:

poo poo if you gave Egosoft 5 million, they could probably deliver the practical parts of star citizen

I really feel like if you gave them a tenth of Star Citizen's total budget and 2 years, they could probably stretch their game to include landable planets and an MMO component. They do have an online mode already, so that's really the only part of SC that they are lacking. They even have the rabid chud forums posters!

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

text editor posted:

once again, I feel it's important to note that this is a less-than-20 employee company. that includes everyone, not just developers.

granted I've read that some work is contracted out, likely audio and art, but it can't be a ton because their finances aren't massive either I'm seeing numbers between 1 and 1.5m, so less than 100k/employee

but do they have a barrista and can their barrista open a jira ticket

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The Titanic posted:

And when you drop the jacket on the floor, it piles up and folds realistically, just like a real jacket would. And you can see the water bottle*!

This is important for a space sim, you see. SC is so much better than other games because of this! Why are people not understanding that?

* Note: Water bottle may glitch out and fly through the air, striking your character in the head and killing them. This is intended.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Trilobite posted:

Call 'em "Sealed War Surplus Containers," claim the number available is limited, and offer concierge/subscribers the opportunity to buy "deluxe" versions with a chance of rarer items (new money only, please), and you're almost at CIG-level griftiness. Though Ponzi on the previous page was 100% correct: at no point would they give anybody an actual ship in a lootbox, but by god every other lootbox would have a coupon for 10% off ship purchases over $300 (new money only, PLEASE).

AHHAHAHAH the payception at CIG

congratulations you have won the chance to spend !!!

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 19, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

See, to Shitizens this is proof that Star Shitizen is amazing. To me it's proof that the project is insane and the project managers have either no clue or no power. Any sane project manager or producer would look at this poo poo and go "we have to do unique, separate motion capture sessions for EVERY helmet, for both genders? And if we want to add in new helmets in the future, we have to do the same work AGAIN?" and axe the whole feature.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:reddit: I thought this cartoon would live well here.

commando posted:

Wow if he is that old he’s probably a OG backer too hahaha 🤣

commando posted:

I know a guy who backed this game a long time ago and right now it's on his 60s

He's worried he'll never see the game finished tho :(

commando posted:

It’s not the wife, it’s the crippling self-doubt and depression

commando posted:

It’s how I feel about myself after purchase lol
Healthy hobby

commando posted:

I had Star Citizen for a month and spent about $400. I sold my PC immediately. Game was just too good.
This is called impulse control disorder

commando posted:

Must suck having to explain everything you do to your significant other 🤨

commando posted:

She currently has no idea lol

commando posted:

There are some legal ways to separate yours and your wife/husband cash although i dont know how they work in practice and probably you need to do this before marriage to avoid... misunderstandings :)
Completely normal thoughts

Oh and alt-right youtube channel made a video about Kotaku winter storm article
:reddit: A good video tearing Kotaku apart for their shoddy "journalism" regarding Star Citizen.

commando posted:

I've read other comments and I see that this YouTuber is considered an alt-right gateway drug, but these were my exact thoughts when I read the article. I'm also really enjoying how - predictably - the actual, verifiable employees' refutations of the article aren't being reported on by mainstream media at all. "Journalism" has been a synonym for "lying" throughout the profession's history, but the last ten or so years have been an utter travesty of bullshit and provocative word-vomit. There is not a single journalist alive today that I trust, period, and Kotaku is just a perfect conglomeration of everything wrong with the profession.
:ironicat:

https://twitter.com/CrpJester/status/1371562001319690240
Yes, that's the only problem.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 18, 2021

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Gravity_Storm posted:

To be fair, if you predicted that something you see in a CIG video would never come out if would be the safest best ever.

i'm calling it now, we will never see another star system.

On the other hand, if they ever did another star system, they could charge for "exploration permits" to enter it for first few months. Everybody would buy that poo poo. Even better, first month for concierge only, so the suckers not at $1000 yet have a motivation to buy. If they had no shame selling land claims, they would have no problems with this (except for actually implementing it)

DigitalPenny posted:

They used the imaginarium to start with now one of they many corporate shells is CIGs own mocap studio. Basically setting up another business with backer money that could be justified "as for the game"

Its not illegal just another way Chris has enriched him self. It's probably the one of the more classy bits of Grift in this debacle.

On the plus side it reduces the cost of not having your poo poo together when you go to do expensive mocap work making rework cheaper.

It reduces cost of mocap, and then you hire hollywood actors to do it. Genius!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Dwesa posted:

:words: by commandos who enable each others' impulsive spending habits while confessing that they hide it all from their partners

It's funny how SC has some parallels to a casino.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

DigitalPenny posted:

Anyone got the picture of the rig with the dozens of expensive cameras they bought for that? And then never mentioned again?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

RabbitWizard posted:

Anyone got the picture of the rig with the dozens of expensive cameras they bought for that? And then never mentioned again?

Getting their own mocap studio is such a dumb idea. Once you have it there is no pressure to get anything right because you can always go back for more.

And I bet that people soon discovered that putting 'waiting for planned motion capture' or 'processing and refining motion capture output' on a status report gets an automatic thumbs up from the Crobbler.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

CeeJee posted:

Getting their own mocap studio is such a dumb idea. Once you have it there is no pressure to get anything right because you can always go back for more.

And I bet that people soon discovered that putting 'waiting for planned motion capture' or 'processing and refining motion capture output' on a status report gets an automatic thumbs up from the Crobbler.

Double thumbs up from the Crobbler if you sneak "iterating on motion capture refactor to move to Tier-0 status stack" in there as well.

:iiasb:

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

:perfect:

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Thoatse posted:

Theaters Of Wat

Theatres of Where?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

DigitalPenny posted:

That's ok. They already create an in-house mocap studio on three different occasions, so it's nice that one finally stuck. :cheeky:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Press F for respect to the mocap intern who has to change Roberts dough rear end marine roll over so that it doesn't look like this ingame:

"Come at me Commander Lieutenant Sargent Mark Lightsaber!"

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 18, 2021

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021
I think that the point that the pile of rubble that is SC isn't even able to sustain lootboxes is the truth. They must have considered it but it was more effort than their current schemes that work pretty well without the hassle of actually releasing stuff in a timely manner. I think that the company is such a clusterfuck that they wouldn't even be able to do it if they wanted to. Maybe when the "product" is more mature, in 20 years, lootboxes concepts with LTI will be feasible.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Groshlak posted:

I think that the point that the pile of rubble that is SC isn't even able to sustain lootboxes is the truth. They must have considered it but it was more effort than their current schemes that work pretty well without the hassle of actually releasing stuff in a timely manner. I think that the company is such a clusterfuck that they wouldn't even be able to do it if they wanted to. Maybe when the "product" is more mature, in 20 years, lootboxes concepts with LTI will be feasible.

lootboxes are meant to make people spend hundreds of dollars over time that they wouldn't spend all at once. commandos have proven time and again that there's no amount too high for them to spend all at once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groshlak
Jan 9, 2021

Muscle Tracer posted:

lootboxes are meant to make people spend hundreds of dollars over time that they wouldn't spend all at once. commandos have proven time and again that there's no amount too high for them to spend all at once!

Indeed, a never been done before desensitization to spending, rending micro transaction obsolete. Crobber, you son of a gun, you did it again!