Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really, really can’t wait for this game.

Same, I know its very similar play wise as Dishonored and Prey but man does it look fun as poo poo and Arkane knows how to flesh out a world so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cool so the thread has gotten me to start downloading dishonored to give it a try. Hopefully it'll finish downloading by the weekend

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh man that reminds me of the extremely clever time travel bit they did in 2 that they in no way had to include or even really signposted. That was a good one.

Also reminds me that I have Death of the Outsider sitting around, unplayed for years, and should get on that.

My favorite time travel thing in a game is still the one in Titanfall 2, such an awesome level full of set pieces

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ilmucche posted:

Cool so the thread has gotten me to start downloading dishonored to give it a try. Hopefully it'll finish downloading by the weekend

You’re welcome

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I love the little things that take me decades to figure out. Hi, Bomberman 64!

The Black Fortress, the final non-secret world in that game, is covered with this insignia, a sign associated with the final boss, Altair:

Except... it's not really clear why. Altair looks like this:

He's got some red, sure, but none of the shapes from that insignia are anywhere on his design, and he doesn't have wings. Even in his final form when he does get flight, it's from a jetpack. There's actually only one design in the game that resembles that insignia: the true final boss, and the guy Altair stole all his power from.

Altair stole the fortress, too!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

They are all too adorable to be evil.

Which reminds me, did literally anyone play that gritty Bomberman reboot? It seemed like a game for nobody.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bomberman Act Zero (X360), Is It Really That Bad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl84CzYO58s

tl;dw Yes, it was bad.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Mar 17, 2021

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What a godawful name.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

Dr Eggman's utterly insane amount of planning and contingencies is one of the things I find so goddamn hilarious about Sonic Adventure 1. Dude just had a giant robot or bomb to drop into any situation as a response, even seems like he bothered to plan more for after he lost than before he lost.

He is downright devious in that game, man. The guy had to somehow manipulate 3 or 4 of his worst enemies and several more he'd never interacted with to be in specific places and do specific things for him and he actually managed to nearly pull it off. Sonic and co literally bring him all the emeralds, he doesn't collect a single one himself. I cannot believe Eggman almost wins in Sonic Adventure and it's Tails who finally stops him in the end chronologically.

I mean, SA2 specifically presents Tails as Eggman's equal, his whole deal is being a mechanical genius as well with more conscience and less resources.

While I'd say the vibe is that Eggman just loving loves making robots and always has some more laying around, reminds me that they actually incorporate this into the Sonic movie; the highway chase scene starts out with a truck-sized Robotnik drone that as Sonic trashes it has smaller and smaller drones emerge from the wreckage to just keep going.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
His theme song in SA2 even spells out his level of 4D chess in plain English. He is the egg man. That's what he is(am?). He is the egg man. He's got the master plan.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Drivin around, king of the town, always got my windows rolled down.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've come to make an announcement: Shadow the Hedgehog's a bitch-rear end motherfucker, he pissed on my loving wife.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I've come to make an announcement: Shadow the Hedgehog's a bitch-rear end motherfucker, he pissed on my loving wife.

the ultimate wife form

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I miss my wife, Tails.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Luigi's Mansion 3 has a button dedicated to Luigi calling for Mario in different ways.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Sonic Adventure 2's Eggman still has one of my favorite 'evil genius' moments in all of fiction, and I'm surprised how few stories even try to do something like it, because it's so goddamn simple but so fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8QzgUtr2nY

"Thought you could trick me with that fake Emerald, did you!?"
"How did you know it wasn't the real one?"
"Because you just told me, fox boy."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sonic Adventure 1 is rad because a lot of Sonic and Tails' stages are repeated since they're hanging out together for the whole game, meaning the cutscenes also repeat, but they don't repeat verbatim. Nearly all of Eggman's dialogue is rewritten to be more sinister in Tails' version of the events, and stuff that didn't get rewritten still got the VA re-done to be more evil sounding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KOFYl9Z9fs&t=470s
(7:50, Sonic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwKrWfLcBrQ&t=253s
(4:12, Tails)

It's so awesome. Sonic's route is a straightforward Sonic Game Story: Sonic fights Eggman in progressively bigger robots with progressively higher stakes as they and the villain of the week race to collect the emeralds. Eggman is goofy and comical, saturday morning cartoon stuff, dangerous but not too dangerous. Tails' route, however, totally re-frames Sonic's story to be ABOUT Tails without changing anything about its events, because it turns out that actually it wasn't over and Eggman had one last nuke-shaped trick up his sleeve. They pretty much totally re-recorded Eggman's dialogue purely for the purpose of surprising the player with a different final stage and boss when they play Tails' story expecting it to be the same. As a kid that blew my drat mind.

edit: Another good example here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KOFYl9Z9fs&t=703s
(11:40, Sonic)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwKrWfLcBrQ&t=456s
(7:35, Tails)

Tails isn't even IN most of this cutscene in the Sonic version because he doesn't speak, it's great.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:33 on Mar 17, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that in Sonic Unleashed Eggman succeeds in his plan - whatever you feel about Eggmanland itself as a level, it's a really cool idea for a setpiece with some fun visuals.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sonic Unleashed is a good game that needed more playtesting and less filler.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The progression from Sonic Unleashed to Colors and then Sonic Generations to Lost World feels like that scene in Courage the Cowardly Dog when child Muriel is being real picky about her macaroni and cheese dinner ingredients. More gimmick levels! Fewer gimmick levels! More focus on boosting! Less focus on boosting! More stupid annoying robot sidekicks for Eggman! FEWER ANNOYING ROBOT SIDEKICKS NO PLEASE GO BACK

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sonic Unleashed is a good game that needed more playtesting and less filler.

To be fair, on the 360 version the optional levels were all unique challenges that made you get really good at each mechanic if you wanted to get past them. The Medals were a bit much but even then it gave you a reason to go on other paths and see other routes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

My favorite time travel thing in a game is still the one in Titanfall 2, such an awesome level full of set pieces

What I love about that is how low-key it is. There's a ruined lab, some time fuckery, you pick up the strange doohickey and the screen informs you "Press Mouse3 to time-travel"

Kind of like Fallen Order's "Press R3 to use the Force". I like games that work their tutorial prompts into the narrative like that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Arkham games learned real quick that if there's a moment where you are playing as Bruce for story beat reasons and re-obtain the bat suit, that prompt had better not say "Put on Batsuit", it'd better goddamn say "Suit Up" because that is just way cooler. They did it in every game, even Arkham VR.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:15 on Mar 17, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"take off Bruce suit"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

christmas boots posted:

"take off Bruce suit"
:nolan:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Folks were chatting recently about enjoying the collectibles in Spider-man because the movement system is so fun, I started another playthrough the other day and I'm having so much fun that I spent the first few hours just clearing out all the initial ones (backpacks/photo sites) before even doing more than a couple story missions. So much fun that I got to one of the "I have a bit of time, I'll just do some general Spidey stuff before the next mission is available" but the map's all cleared out except for random pop-up crimes :v:

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Did you also get the Secret photo sites?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HelleSpud posted:

Did you also get the Secret photo sites?

This is my fourth time through and the first time I'm hearing of such a thing :tinfoil:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is my fourth time through and the first time I'm hearing of such a thing :tinfoil:

Secret landmarks to take pictures of.
There's a way to reveal them on the minimap, but I forget how. Only the minimal, mind you. So my ng+ playthrough was me basically constantly getting sidetracked from whatever mission I was on as I looked at my minimap and noticed that I was passing a photo op.

The reward for getting all of them is a shirt for the Daily Bugle, if I remember right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's a suit mod you can equip that makes them show up on the mini-map so you still have to be pretty close to them and be paying attention to the mini-map.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Kirby's Return to Dreamland: Water Kirby can surf along the ground and put out fires.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I just yesterday, 5 years after its release, found out there's a dungeon maker fan sequel called war for the overworked, which actually plays almost exactly the same, just with other names for stuff. After trying out every dungeon keeper like under the sea, included the godawful dungeons series, I am so loving happy to have something that immediately feels the same. From the narrator who speaks with a delightfully devilish timbre, over the basic functions of the monsters and dungeon rooms, to the overworld which slowly turns into a burning hellscape, it is perfect so far. And there's even a bunch of add-ons so I'll have more to play for a long time.

So my favorite little thing about it is all of it, i love it.

Son of Rodney has a new favorite as of 07:22 on Mar 18, 2021

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

I just yesterday, 5 years after its release, found out there's a dungeon maker fan sequel called war for the overworked, which actually plays almost exactly the same, just with other names for stuff. After trying out every dungeon keeper like under the sea, included the godawful dungeons series, I am so loving happy to have something that immediately feels the same. From the narrator who speaks with a delightfully devilish timbre, over the basic functions of the monsters and dungeon rooms, to the overworked which slowly turns into a burning hellscape, it is perfect so far. And there's even a bunch of add-ons so I'll have more to play for a long time.

fyi to people looking it up: its War for the Overworld

it looks good im gonna get it probably

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ooh haha I didn't see the typo, still fits though!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's a nice little thing in that it's not needed at all for the plat but will show itself immediately for people who take photos for fun :shobon: poo poo like the Riddler trophies should be more like that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

The progression from Sonic Unleashed to Colors and then Sonic Generations to Lost World feels like that scene in Courage the Cowardly Dog when child Muriel is being real picky about her macaroni and cheese dinner ingredients. More gimmick levels! Fewer gimmick levels! More focus on boosting! Less focus on boosting! More stupid annoying robot sidekicks for Eggman! FEWER ANNOYING ROBOT SIDEKICKS NO PLEASE GO BACK

Every 3D Sonic game is an overreaction to the last one. Sheer corporate panic like that sustained over years is rare and spectacular, see also the Star Wars Sequels.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Son of Rodney posted:

I just yesterday, 5 years after its release, found out there's a dungeon maker fan sequel called war for the overworked, which actually plays almost exactly the same, just with other names for stuff. After trying out every dungeon keeper like under the sea, included the godawful dungeons series, I am so loving happy to have something that immediately feels the same. From the narrator who speaks with a delightfully devilish timbre, over the basic functions of the monsters and dungeon rooms, to the overworld which slowly turns into a burning hellscape, it is perfect so far. And there's even a bunch of add-ons so I'll have more to play for a long time.

Pretty sure the narrator is the same as dungeon keeper

Edit: it is https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0725956/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_1

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

Len posted:

My mind is more blown that the Dungeon Keeper voice is Daddy Pig. As much as I have heard both of them, I never made the connection.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Len posted:

Man I loved that game, and I've never been able to get DK2 working properly off GoG

It always runs at clockspeed a million and spams "The <something> yawns in anticipation of your next move" constantly. Gonna have to pick this one up on sale.

Actually that reminds me, Evil Genius 2 comes out pretty soon I think? And it always scratched that same itch for me

I especially loved the trap combos. Getting a trap combo just right to pinball a hero around to your death chamber and get bonuses for it was so fun.

I wish there were more "trap based" games. I feel like there was a PS2 game that had that theme as well, but it was a third person thing? Those style games are great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Actually that reminds me, Evil Genius 2 comes out pretty soon I think? And it always scratched that same itch for me

I especially loved the trap combos. Getting a trap combo just right to pinball a hero around to your death chamber and get bonuses for it was so fun.

Comes out on the 30th, and I can't wait to capture some spies interfering with my bid for Global Domination :commissar:.