Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I doubt simpler rules would help. They don't want to think about rules at all if they can help it. They want an MMO like experience where they just push button to do thing while they make puns with friends.

Ever since the bard got bit by that werebear it's mostly just honey puns.

yes there are games for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
sounds like a good reason to bust out honey heist, tbh

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Elfgames posted:

yes there are games for that.

I'm sure there are. There are a zillion games.out there. For any given thing, there's probably a specialized game for that one thing that's better, in the abstract, for that thing than 5e is.

At this point we're a year into an ambling 5e game though and it's working and we all know the system or know what we need to do to shepherd the other players through. Why go to all the trouble to change?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I doubt simpler rules would help. They don't want to think about rules at all if they can help it. They want an MMO like experience where they just push button to do thing while they make puns with friends.

Ever since the bard got bit by that werebear it's mostly just honey puns.

edit: why go through the trouble to change?
Because a game improves when everyone knows the rules and you don't need to pause and look to the GM, you know exactly what to do next.
If everyone at your table is interested in the rules for DnD, play DnD. If the players aren't actually interested in thinking about the rules at all then your books are paperweights.

Honey Heist is literally a tiny game for bear and honey puns. Please tell me how an app would help.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 18, 2021

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Elfgames posted:

please people who think 5e is streamlined or blendable tell me what other games you've played i'm honestly curious

Shadowrun, Firefly, Usagi Yojimbo, Ironclaw, Fantasy Craft, Star Wars FFG and d6, GURPS, D&D 3.5, D&D 4e, Pathfinder, Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, Shadows of the Demon Lord, Paranoia? (The one where you're all clones and Friend Computer makes things as complicated as humanly possible), Call of Cthulhu, Fate Core, Mutants and Masterminds, Fellowship, others I'm forgetting.

D&D 5e is among the more streamlined of games I've played. Not THE most streamlined but making a character is easy compared to lots of other games and the rules read pretty organically that most of the time you know what you're doing or it can be easily flubbed. If I never have to dig through another game so rich with code-words you have to find 5 separate pages in 3 separate chapters to explain what happens when you hit with your gun it'll be too soon. Same for spending four days painstakingly allocating XP on individual skills and "powers" only to discover that my character is painfully gimped everywhere else because you only have enough XP to be good at two things.

I think how "blendable" it is varies on what you're trying to blend with it, but streamlined? Both as a Player and a DM I've had the fewest rules questions over 'How Do I X' with 5e than anything else. I'd say the hardest games to make characters for at the ones that hand you a pool of XP points, a book full of options to buy, and says "Go Nuts. Be careful not to make yourself useless!" D&D is good in that it's got this middle ground between crunch and fluff and it's easy to mod without breaking it. Kind of like a Bethesda Game. It's not perfect, it's janky, but you can get what you want out of it with way less work than building your own game.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Meinberg posted:

This though? This is utter nonsense. If you’re not going to use most of the rules of the game you’ve spent ninety dollars on, why are you playing that game and why did you spend that money?
It's got other rules though? :confused:

Are you using Persuasion in combat?

Notable combat spells: Druidcraft, Encode Thoughts, Friends, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Minor Illusion, Mold Earth, Prestidigitation, Shape Water, Thaumaturgy

Elfgames posted:

please people who think 5e is streamlined or blendable tell me what other games you've played i'm honestly curious
Every edition of D&D, GURPS, two or three editions of Shadowrun, various White Wolf productions (Exalted mostlyy, some NWoD), the d20 Star Wars back in 3.x, a bunch of PBtA skins, Paranoia, FATE, PDQ, Lasers & Feelings, Monster of the Week, Genesys, Numenera, Alien RPG, Delta Green, Happiness is a Warm Gun, a poo poo-ton of others I don't remember off the top of my head

I'm never going to say 5E is some masterpiece by any means, but it's nowhere near as bad as some people keep making it out to be.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

There is no way that I'd have played D&D, or have in turn convinced friends to play D&D with me, without the D&D Beyond site making creating and playing the game a million times easier. Now that my friends and I are more seasoned tabletop gamers we're thinking about moving into new systems when our current campaign wraps up, but we also all now know the rules of D&D and so learning a new system is more effort we don't really want to put in, even if the system would be ultimately more suited. We know the rules, they're well codified, we know when we can break them, and we don't have to think very hard to remember the mechanics because all you need to do is click 'attack' on a webpage and it tells you if you succeed or not.

That in my opinion is why so many people play D&D even if it's not the ultimate best system for the type of game they're playing.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bewilderment posted:

Honey Heist is literally a tiny game for bear and honey puns. Please tell me how an app would help.

I mean, yes, I didn't know that Honey Heist existed but I knew a game like it did because of course one did. But

1) Our bear bard is just one player at the table and every other player at the table has slightly or markedly different goals
2) I've shown him similar things in the past and he's just not that interested in learning even simple new systems, he's a parent and an attorney and he doesn't play D&D to think

End of the day 5e is flexible enough and simple enough that once people have learned to play it they often aren't that interested in bothering to branch out from it. So long as they're having fun, I don' think that's the worst thing in the world. For a lot of new players especially, they aren't really RPG hobbyists the way we might have thought of ourselves twenty years ago playing GURPS and so forth in our attics, they're just people who saw Critical Role or watched Stranger Things and wanted to try this D&D thing they've heard about.

Bogan Krkic posted:

There is no way that I'd have played D&D, or have in turn convinced friends to play D&D with me, without the D&D Beyond site making creating and playing the game a million times easier. Now that my friends and I are more seasoned tabletop gamers we're thinking about moving into new systems when our current campaign wraps up, but we also all now know the rules of D&D and so learning a new system is more effort we don't really want to put in, even if the system would be ultimately more suited. We know the rules, they're well codified, we know when we can break them, and we don't have to think very hard to remember the mechanics because all you need to do is click 'attack' on a webpage and it tells you if you succeed or not.

That in my opinion is why so many people play D&D even if it's not the ultimate best system for the type of game they're playing.

Yeah, exactly. Does my group talk sometimes about trying different systems? Sure. Is it ever gonna actually happen? I doubt it. Not until there's a Beyond-style app for them anyway. It really needs to be "push button, thing happens" level.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 18, 2021

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Bogan Krkic posted:

There is no way that I'd have played D&D, or have in turn convinced friends to play D&D with me, without the D&D Beyond site making creating and playing the game a million times easier.
Yeah, especially now that you can tie Beyond campaigns to Discord channels via Avrae so you can just click on stuff on your character sheet and it'll roll and inject the results into the channel.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Meinberg posted:

Maybe that second part is bad actually? Why does violence have to be the default means of conflict resolution in games? Obviously, it is inherent to the premise of D&D, running a non-violent game of D&D means not playing D&D, but why is that violence so inherent to the experience?

DnD literally started out as a war game called Chainmail. Every other social and storytelling element that has been grafted onto that foundation hasn't changed its fundamental character. If you want a tabletop game oriented around things that aren't killing dudes, I recommend selecting something built from the ground up for that purpose. Frankly, DnD is anywhere from mediocre to awful at everything but its core, which is combat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mr. Lobe posted:

DnD literally started out as a war game called Chainmail. Every other social and storytelling element that has been grafted onto that foundation hasn't changed its fundamental character. If you want a tabletop game oriented around things that aren't killing dudes, I recommend selecting something built from the ground up for that purpose. Frankly, DnD is anywhere from mediocre to awful at everything but its core, which is combat.

Even the combat isn't stellar sometimes because it still suffers from... being designed as a war game. You know, one where your wizards are special solo units power equivalent to ranks of fighters.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Obviously the rules of D&D support combat far more structurally than the other pillars of the game, but there's still plenty of options to approach conflict resolution non-violently in the rules. What if you want a tabletop game oriented around things that are killing dudes, but you don't want every time you speak to someone to end up in murder? It's plenty easy to play D&D from a perspective of not always immediately entering combat, even within the existing rules. They maybe aren't perfect, but there's a whole bunch of reasons to play D&D are nothing to do with the ruleset, and the ruleset does well enough in supporting that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

2) I've shown him similar things in the past and he's just not that interested in learning even simple new systems, he's a parent and an attorney and he doesn't play D&D to think

This is the #1 reason I never run anything except D&D. It does not matter how simple a new system is, no one wants to learn it. There is inertia to just getting people to read a single page document, it's homework and they are adults who don't want any homework.

That's why we are playing Dark Sun with the hellcars from Descent into Avernus right now. I would personally prefer Apocalypse World, but if I so much as mention a game that isn't D&D everyone will pass. Instead I turned D&D into Mad Max and that has been working fine :shrug:

Mr. Lobe posted:

Read some of the old modules written by Gary Gygax. He was not designing a war game.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Read some of the old modules written by Gary Gygax. He was not designing a war game.

Except he literally was. A guy named Dave Arneson started using Chainmail, Gygax's wargame, to do combat in a weird offshoot game of his own.

The rules Arneson tacked onto Chainmail are what became BECMI D&D.

Anyway, my group is made up primarily of Saudis and while they're all fluent in English, reading it for long periods isn't fun for them so D&D Beyond is an absolutely invaluable tool for my current group. We play other games occasionally, but they much prefer the ease of use that Beyond brings so we default back to 5E regularly.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 18, 2021

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Devorum posted:

Except he literally was. A guy named Dave Arneson started using Chainmail, Gygax's wargame, to do combat in a weird offshoot game of his own.

Anyway, my group is made up primarily of Saudis and while they're all fluent in English, reading it for long periods isn't fun for them so D&D Beyond is an absolutely invaluable tool for my current group. We play other games occasionally, but they much prefer the ease of use that Beyond brings so we default back to 5E regularly.

That sounds cool as hell, would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall during one of those games. I wonder what Saudis make of that particular mishmash of western fantasy tropes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Devorum posted:

I'm talking about the modules he wrote. Gygax loved to put factions into his dungeons. Take a look at Keep on the Boarderlands, this was the most basic of D&D modules that came packaged with the basic set. The dungeon for this scenario has separate Orc/Goblin/Bugbear/Gnoll factions all living together in the "Caves of Chaos" and they all hate each other. Gygax expects the DM to make this clear to the players, and he expects the players to try and negotiate with the factions to play monster politics and fight each other:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

That sounds cool as hell, would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall during one of those games. I wonder what Saudis make of that particular mishmash of western fantasy tropes.

It's interesting how it all shakes out. They think Djinns and Manticores and the like aren't done quite right, but just go with it. And there's a lot of Western myths and legends they only really know through video games and anime. A couple of them got introduced to the idea of D&D through bootleg copies of Record of Lodoss War. The rest through PC RPGs.

Anime is huge here. One of the players used to smuggle it in before things relaxed a bit.

According to the group, it's only been a decade or so that it was technically legal to bring dice into the country, so they used to have to go to Bahrain for all their gaming. Warhammer 40K is huge in Bahrain, because all the British expats brought it with them.

One side effect is they don't know much about Forgotten Realms lore and don't give a poo poo about preserving its canon or always playing there, which is refreshing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Devorum posted:

One side effect is they don't know much about Forgotten Realms lore and don't give a poo poo about preserving its canon or always playing there, which is refreshing.

I've never met anyone who cared about Forgotten Realms canon :psyduck:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I've never met anyone who cared about Forgotten Realms canon :psyduck:

HI AND WELCOME TO MY MAGICAL REALM

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT TODAY

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

Devorum posted:

A couple of them got introduced to the idea of D&D through bootleg copies of Record of Lodoss War.

Same for my friend group in high school tbh, although we were just boring midwesterners. I wonder how many DnD groups that show actually started.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Arivia posted:

What is the meaningful difference a Xvart and a goblin?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Meinberg posted:

This though? This is utter nonsense. If you’re not going to use most of the rules of the game you’ve spent ninety dollars on, why are you playing that game and why did you spend that money?
You seem very fixated on this point, and it's not a good point. If I seem to be a little harsh in the deconstruction of the point I'll admit, telling someone that their opinion is 'utter nonsense' gets my back up a little.

Firstly, it's not $90. All you need to play a basic, barebones game is a free Beyond account. If you want to play in person with a little more detail, the starter sets are $15ish. If you want to play the core game, all the rules you need to play are in the PHB along with a few stat blocks for some monsters and beasts.

You no longer need the DM's guide like you did in previous editions, it just clarifies and expands on ideas that can make you a better DM. The monster manual does give you a lot more ideas, but you don't need it to play, it just gives you more variety.

Again, i'm not arguing that the DMG and MM aren't useful, I'm saying you don't need them to run a game any more. If everyone's happy playing basic classes for their first game, you can run a game 100% for free via Beyond and just look up stat blocks online.

You can argue all you like if it'd be a good game or not, but that's not the point you're making by throwing around the $90 figure - otherwise why not throw xanathar, tasha, volo and a sourcebook in there as well and make it a game that costs $250 to start playing, when you include the official maps and minis?

All you 'need' in the strictest sense is a free account. All you need to play a fully rounded one-shot is a starter set for $15. All you need to play the core rules is the PHB for $30. The other books - including DMG and MM - just add variety.

It's disingenuous to claim you need to spend $90 to play, and then use that inflated $90 as a bar under which you're not getting value for money if you don't use it all. As I've proven, you can play via Beyond, or you can club together as a group and buy them, or borrow a friend's books at the table, or look stuff up online. Lets not pretend that this is a game that costs $90 to play any more.

Secondly, 5e is a game with options for how you can play, and one of those options is non-combat, especially for classes like Wizards and Bards - even Battlemasters can now use maneuver dice for social checks. Are pure combat players 'wasting' whatever they paid by not utilising the non combat skill checks in the 'adventuring' section, a section which takes up as much space as the combat and spellcasting sections?

In the same vein, when engaged in a combat moment is the DM wasting money by not including skill challenges, or difficult terrain? Those are all rules, and if you're not using all of the rules at once, surely that's wasting money?

What about players who don't use the mounted combat rules, how much money are they wasting? Players who don't use aberrations because ot doesn't fit the setting? Players who never leave the prime material plane? By that reasoning, you're not getting your money's worth unless you hit level 240 and have 20 level's worth of xp in every class with a character who's faced every monster in the MM and every scenario in the DM guide.

It also doesn't hold up as a good point because as I demonstrated earlier, you can play for free and just not look up those things if that's not how you want to play.

The idea that you're 'wasting' money by not playing a certain way does not hold up when the point is that if you are engaging with any of the content in the game and having fun, you're getting your money's worth. It's impossible to include every type of D&D experience, and I'd argue that trying to do so is just going to create a huge disorganised mess of a campaign.

If every character in every campaign that they run is purely non-combat then that might start to get a little odd, but a bunch of people wanting to try a non-combat only run is a pretty interesting idea.

People play challenge runs in video games all the time - one of the oldest challenge runs was the original Deus Ex 'small crate only' run. A person who plays like that has generally played the 'standard' way enough times to want to play it in a different way, see what's possible, and the restriction is part of the fun.

They're not wasting money by excluding content because generally they'll have played that content before or will play that content again in a future campaign.

Like I said earlier, almost nobody uses (or understands) the mounted combat rules - does that mean everyone who's skipped them is wasting $5? No, they were having fun with other parts of the rules. And having fun is far more important than arbitrarily making sure you pick the carcass clean of content.

Finally, and this is a point that relates to a couple of other posts I've seen. Why D&D? Because it's D&D. It has the cultural breakthrough to be a system people have heard of, and even new players have a basic idea of what it is. You can argue all you like about if other systems are better, but none of them have the pop culture cache that D&D does right now.

Whether it's the best system is almost immaterial in the face of it being the most ubiquitous one. I'm not saying that's a good thing, but it's the reason that a lot of people are getting into the hobby. You can buy the books in 'normal' bookstores where they don't stock any other RP stuff. It was in Stranger things. D&D podcast and streams are pretty big.

People get into D&D because it's D&D. From there they may hear about other systems or decide to look into alternatives, but I'm pretty sure most of the people getting into the hobby now come to it thinking "Lets see what this D&D thing is all about" rather than "Is D&D the right RP system for me," which is sort of what your "Why play D&D" question implies.

I guess the TLDR version of this is that D&D is not $90, and even if it was, lets not pretend anyone is buying all 3 core books and then spending the rest of their life as purely pacifist characters. They're not 'wasting' any of that money by playing it non-combat for a campaign / session or two if they find that fun, any more than they're wasting money by not going to the shadowfell, or using mounted combat rules, or multiclassing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Caidin posted:

What is the meaningful difference a Xvart and a goblin?

Not much pre-4e.

In 4e they were reworked into being associated with shadows and Faerie/the Feywild, so you have a bit of a different spin.

Also: In older editions of D&D, Xvarts appeared in very few Realms-specific sources. This is probably partly because Ed Greenwood considered Xvarts to be redundant creatures with no unique or interesting characteristic.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

what is the canon ending of Baldurs Gate 2

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Rutibex posted:

I'm talking about the modules he wrote. Gygax loved to put factions into his dungeons. Take a look at Keep on the Boarderlands, this was the most basic of D&D modules that came packaged with the basic set. The dungeon for this scenario has separate Orc/Goblin/Bugbear/Gnoll factions all living together in the "Caves of Chaos" and they all hate each other. Gygax expects the DM to make this clear to the players, and he expects the players to try and negotiate with the factions to play monster politics and fight each other:

The thing is, there are multiple types of wargame. Some war games had a referee specifically to cover things that a player might try to do that the rules don't necessarily cover, such as destroying terrain or even attempting to bribe enemy officers. Early D&D simply took this down to the individual level. In the example given from B2, the factions exist so as to give the players levers to pull to influence the game space in ways not included in the rules. There's nothing you can roll to influence the factions; you simply tell the DM what you do and how, and the DM decides the result based on what they know about the situation. This works in much the same way as how in a WW2 war game, just because there aren't any rules about blowing up terrain, doesn't mean that the result of dropping artillery on a bridge should be "nothing happens".

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Devorum posted:

It's interesting how it all shakes out. They think Djinns and Manticores and the like aren't done quite right, but just go with it. And there's a lot of Western myths and legends they only really know through video games and anime. A couple of them got introduced to the idea of D&D through bootleg copies of Record of Lodoss War. The rest through PC RPGs.

Anime is huge here. One of the players used to smuggle it in before things relaxed a bit.

According to the group, it's only been a decade or so that it was technically legal to bring dice into the country, so they used to have to go to Bahrain for all their gaming. Warhammer 40K is huge in Bahrain, because all the British expats brought it with them.

I would be very curious to hear what they have to say about Al Qadim. I assume they would find it laughably off the mark, but I hope at least not too offensively so.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

On the topic of people using D&D for things that D&D isn't very good at, I'm currently playing a conflict averse character in a campaign. In the multiple combat situations that's involved so far, I've been able to carry my weight in the party by casting spells to crowd control enemies, providing bardic inspiration, etc; even though I have very little on my character sheet to actually damage anyone. There's a million ways to play imagination elfgames with your friends and all of them are right if you're all having fun, even if you're not optimising the amount of fun you're having.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

I would be very curious to hear what they have to say about Al Qadim. I assume they would find it laughably off the mark, but I hope at least not too offensively so.

It's mostly too "old" for them. They all started with 5E, with one exception that played Pathfinder.

What they do know of it, they think is a little goofy but fun...like a highly fictionalized version of medieval Europe would be to us, I guess.

In our current campaign, a guy is playing a character from Zakhara and he's playing a highly stereotypical Bedouin Arab to the hilt. His family are all Bedouin.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I've been building a set of adventures for my girlfriend, who wants to do some one-on-one sessions. She's building a ranger and druid, members of the Emerald Enclave, set in Waterdeep. I'm not going to be running the Heist campaign, but I'm pulling heavily from that book for inspiration. I'm also going to pull the Sunless Citadel adventure into the setting and have that be the first big dungeon crawl she's involved in. My initial thought is having one of the apples being sold to a Zhentarim, who brought it back to Waterdeep, before planting it in the outskirts which causes the Twig Blights to start emerging and killing people. Belak was an Emerald Enclave member a decade ago who disappeared after searching for fruit. So the re-emergence of the apple here in Waterdeep causes the EE higher ups to want to send some agents out to find out what happened to him, where the fruit came from, and to bring him back if possible.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lucas Archer posted:

I've been building a set of adventures for my girlfriend, who wants to do some one-on-one sessions. She's building a ranger and druid, members of the Emerald Enclave, set in Waterdeep. I'm not going to be running the Heist campaign, but I'm pulling heavily from that book for inspiration. I'm also going to pull the Sunless Citadel adventure into the setting and have that be the first big dungeon crawl she's involved in. My initial thought is having one of the apples being sold to a Zhentarim, who brought it back to Waterdeep, before planting it in the outskirts which causes the Twig Blights to start emerging and killing people. Belak was an Emerald Enclave member a decade ago who disappeared after searching for fruit. So the re-emergence of the apple here in Waterdeep causes the EE higher ups to want to send some agents out to find out what happened to him, where the fruit came from, and to bring him back if possible.

around waterdeep you've got a lot of places that aren't necessarily druid-related but are about nature and would be interesting/relevant. off the top of my head, there's goldenfields, ardeep forest, and the mere of dead men.

sources I'd look at to start:
-environs of waterdeep, a free 3e web enhancement
-under illefarn revised by eric boyd, this'll be up on Candlekeep.com
-and there's a dm's guild supplement about goldenfields called like endless waves of amber or something, not canon-accurate but generally useful to you.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

what is the canon ending of Baldurs Gate 2

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_II:_Throne_of_Bhaal_(novel)

it's bad, op

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I think 5e is a weak soupy compromise of a game but even I think the attempts to get people in here to abandon it or justify why they won't are a waste of page space and time. All it boils down to is drawing battle lines and firing disingenuous history lessons across. People will naturally migrate away from D&D if they want.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Arivia posted:

around waterdeep you've got a lot of places that aren't necessarily druid-related but are about nature and would be interesting/relevant. off the top of my head, there's goldenfields, ardeep forest, and the mere of dead men.

sources I'd look at to start:
-environs of waterdeep, a free 3e web enhancement
-under illefarn revised by eric boyd, this'll be up on Candlekeep.com
-and there's a dm's guild supplement about goldenfields called like endless waves of amber or something, not canon-accurate but generally useful to you.

Thanks for the resources, I'll look into those. We're doing our first session this weekend, and I have some stuff plotted out for her to encounter, but I want more to be there so she doesn't feel like she's being railroaded one way or the other.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lucas Archer posted:

Having just run Sunless Citadel, my only advice would be that the combat encounters at level 1 are kinda rough but become almost too easy once the PCs hit level 2. With smaller numbers, the latter encounters could end up being just right, but those first few encounters could be legit deadly, particularly if they get into the failed dragonpriest's tomb before meeting the kobolds like my party did.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lucas Archer posted:

Thanks for the resources, I'll look into those. We're doing our first session this weekend, and I have some stuff plotted out for her to encounter, but I want more to be there so she doesn't feel like she's being railroaded one way or the other.

Yeah, definitely drop some hooks leading to Daggerford and Ardeep if you want to expand the playspace a little bit. They're within a day's ride of Waterdeep, but give very different style/scene options.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Azathoth posted:

Having just run Sunless Citadel, my only advice would be that the combat encounters at level 1 are kinda rough but become almost too easy once the PCs hit level 2. With smaller numbers, the latter encounters could end up being just right, but those first few encounters could be legit deadly, particularly if they get into the failed dragonpriest's tomb before meeting the kobolds like my party did.
I'm actually starting her at level 3 for both her characters, and I figured it would be easy as poo poo at the beginning and slowly ramping up in difficulty as they get closer to the bottom. I'll be going through the encounters this weekend and culling them, although I don't think we'll get to the Citadel for at least one or two sessions - there are some things in the city proper she's going to need to deal with and figure out first.

Arivia posted:

Yeah, definitely drop some hooks leading to Daggerford and Ardeep if you want to expand the playspace a little bit. They're within a day's ride of Waterdeep, but give very different style/scene options.

That's great stuff, thanks.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I understand that some folks are frustrated by their opponents in the great debate over "D&D: the universal RPG adaptable to all purposes, yes or no" but "this guy's disagreeing with me" is not probatable, nor is it "trolling" for someone to make a post that you don't agree with.

That said, hey, this intractable argument is never going to move the entrenched arguers an inch so let's drop it until the next time someone wheels into the thread asking for hot tips about how to convert D&D 5e into a game about WWI airplane pilots dogfighting in the ardennes, yeah?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

game about WWI airplane pilots dogfighting in the ardennes

I'm interested....

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm interested....

Go get Flying Circus. I think it just finally arrived on DTRPG and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Roll to land the deadly barrage of bullets upon the fuselage of The Red Baron...

Crit fail. The wings of your airplane detach.