Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Well, I don’t want to fully count my chickens but the title craziness seems to be over. I walked in yesterday morning and the lady recognized me right away. She processed my title and registration immediately and was apologetic that she let someone else away her judgement on what to do. Gave me my paper title and stickers for my plate, so should get the physical plates/title in a couple weeks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Well, I don’t want to fully count my chickens but the title craziness seems to be over. I walked in yesterday morning and the lady recognized me right away. She processed my title and registration immediately and was apologetic that she let someone else away her judgement on what to do. Gave me my paper title and stickers for my plate, so should get the physical plates/title in a couple weeks!

That sounds good, you aren't doing anything against the law. I hope it works out well and we would love to see more pics

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Any Honda Logos coming up? Started manufacture in '96, looks like it'd be fun with a 1.6 swap or something.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

dphi posted:

Any Honda Logos coming up? Started manufacture in '96, looks like it'd be fun with a 1.6 swap or something.

There is a Logo up now. I have never seen one until I looked. It’s at the Nissan house which usually seems to judge harder than others.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They sold the Logo in the UK briefly, I think the average age of the customer base for them was deceased.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sometimes it blows my mind how mundane the cars you guys get excited over are. Then I remember how excited I am to see some big dumb American malaise-era boat in the flesh.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

Sometimes it blows my mind how mundane the cars you guys get excited over are. Then I remember how excited I am to see some big dumb American malaise-era boat in the flesh.

You have the classic “everyone wants what they can’t have”. Then you have other reasons like my fire trucks, just super low mile well maintained trucks to me. But outside of US a car from here like a big Cadillac is seen as strange and exotic. And I get it 100%. I think there are a lot of little niches to fill here and everywhere

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hey: They're done! Now to sell them...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Those are lovely.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
All day was spent on these three, only about 12 more to go!

These are all accepted and going live Cars & Bids very soon

everdave fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 9, 2021

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Love that Cedric, food luck with the sales.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Ooooooh that Mira very badly tickles my tiny car itch...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Got another done today...and found a fantastic spot IMO for the glamour shots

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
#truckstuff

Giggled the whole time watching guys in their bro trucks trying to park/reverse out of spots. Folding the side down wasn’t really necessary, but why not.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Nice! They really are insanely useful

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Oh hey JDM thread haven't posted in a long time and just catching back up.

I've been thinking for a while of getting a vehicle with more room for hauling stuff than my Jeep YJ. I just drove 8h to the British Columbia Interior and back and that drive was hellish in the YJ (and it cost a fortune in gas too).

Does anyone have any experience with the Delica Space Gear L400?

My last big BC road trip was driving the Delica L300 I bought for my cabin up there, and (while slow) it was a fantastic experience.

A Delica might be what I'm looking for. In the past I'd kind of favoured the L300 due to looking cooler and less like a mini-van, but I've changed my tune a bit. Maybe I'm a bit more concerned with head on collisions than before.

If I opt for the L400 over the L300 are there any special edition L400s I should be looking for? Is there a concensus best model?

My L300 was the ACTIVE WORLD model, though it's never been terribly clear to me what that meant, aside from having that cool sticker on the side.

If BC's car licensing system was more amicable toward having multiple cars I'd have a Jimny for off-roading, and a little Kei truck for hauling around stuff, and another car for big road trips around the province, but the licensing system and painful cost of insuring each car steers me toward having one car that is mostly good at everything, and that's probably the Delica.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

I've been thinking for a while of getting a vehicle with more room for hauling stuff than my Jeep YJ. I just drove 8h to the British Columbia Interior and back and that drive was hellish in the YJ (and it cost a fortune in gas too).

My last big BC road trip was driving the Delica L300 I bought for my cabin up there, and (while slow) it was a fantastic experience.

A Delica might be what I'm looking for. In the past I'd kind of favoured the L300 due to looking cooler and less like a mini-van, but I've changed my tune a bit. Maybe I'm a bit more concerned with head on collisions than before.

If I opt for the L400 over the L300 are there any special edition L400s I should be looking for? Is there a concensus best model?

My L300 was the ACTIVE WORLD model, though it's never been terribly clear to me what that meant, aside from having that cool sticker on the side.

If BC's car licensing system was more amicable toward having multiple cars I'd have a Jimny for off-roading, and a little Kei truck for hauling around stuff, and another car for big road trips around the province, but the licensing system and painful cost of insuring each car steers me toward having one car that is mostly good at everything, and that's probably the Delica.

I ha e only owned the 300, but the consensus seems to be the L400 is fantastic and capable, just people prefer the classic look of the 300 and more people have them in the US at least.

I am not aware of a certain model having more capabilities but there are more features, example get the moon roof models or ones with the splashy graphics. Turbo diesel of course not gas. And some have factory bull bar/grill guard etc...

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Also I recently walked by a garage that had a Honda Beat out front with a "for sale" sign on it so got to see the thing in person. Pretty neato.

In BC you're supposed to replace the headlights with DOT approved ones, and with the Honda Beat, unique to Japan, that is not possible. So this may be a shop that I can go to get JDM cars approved as road legal that may be a bit more lenient on some of issues than others.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A lot of folks (if absolutely forced to and aren't just faking the paperwork/going to a "buddy's garage") will open up the headlights and install a fabricated cutoff.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Femtosecond posted:

Only ever had the L300s, both in manual. The thing with L300s is they kinda straight-up suck before 1993~ or so, then they are merely OK after that do to some engine/drivetrain modernization that took place. The L400 essentially is a good version of the L300 but with a different style. The only reason people go with L300s over the 400s is style, that's it. There is nothing at all that an L300 does better than the 400s besides "looks cooler". Even so, Space Gears (aka L400s) are loving weird looking and completely unlike anything else on the road.
The top end 300s were the 'Super Exceed' but I guess there was a 'Royal Exceed' in Japan for the 400s that's even above the super, then you have the Chamonix or Jasper versions. As far as I am aware the Chamonix and Jasper are more appearance variants, a Super or Royal Exceed will always be better. If you want flash it's hard to beat a Chamonix or Jasper. The 2800 turbo diesel is king, 5 speeds being the most desirable but might not matter to you. There are a bunch more automatics around than 5 speeds.
I'm assuming that you want the "true" 4WD of a Delica and the low range which is why something like a Toyota HiAce isn't being brought up. If you need the low range then yeah the HiAce can't compete. Otherwise a HiAce outclasses the Delica in everything besides the offroad prowess. Comfortable, more reliable, more plentiful, far more parts available worldwide, and you can get it with the KZ engine which is :discourse:

In closing, if Delica than the L400 for sure, Super Exceed if possible with the 2800 turbo diesel for best, Chamonix or Jasper for flash. If you don't need the low range than the HiAce is always going to be better.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I def see heaps of Chamonix and Jasper around. Could well be that the local importers favour those ones because flash graphics draw the eye.

Quite a few L400 for sale in Vancouver right now. Few L300s.

Here's one from the main repair guy in town. Fairly indicative of the price these go for here.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/ctd/d/new-westminster-1997-mitsubishi-delica/7276984299.html

Someone is trying to sell a cheap one for only $9000. I wonder what's wrong with it.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/nvn/cto/d/north-vancouver-east-central-1997-delica/7280709769.html

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 16, 2021

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
You should be able to do much better $ wise and lower km of you decided to get one at auction yourself. Since you can get 97+ years and US can’t you have lots less competition. I’d say you could save 7-8k if you are patient and get a lower km L400. Everything you need to k ow I learned from this thread and anyone would happily give an opinion. Put a deposit down and start looking! You can always get it refunded if you decide not to buy.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Hubnut had a Delica. It was awesome... apart from everything that needed fixing.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

everdave posted:

You should be able to do much better $ wise and lower km of you decided to get one at auction yourself. Since you can get 97+ years and US can’t you have lots less competition. I’d say you could save 7-8k if you are patient and get a lower km L400. Everything you need to k ow I learned from this thread and anyone would happily give an opinion. Put a deposit down and start looking! You can always get it refunded if you decide not to buy.

I most likely will go down the auction route, mostly because it's more fun. I've already done it once before with the L300 I bought. There's some posts of mine at the beginning of the thread. With that one I don't think I managed to get too much of a deal on it. Maybe I had some bad luck but there was enough things that needed fixing that at the end of the day I think it cost me $13-15k anyway.

If I do go through with importing one, this Delica repair man is gonna end up with a bunch of my money anyway when I need to bring whatever I buy to him to get it compliant with British Columbia regulations. This will mean new DOT lights, new DOT tires, and some misc minor stuff like daytime lights. Could maybe save some money if I find some LHD DOT compliant L400 lights myself...

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

tbh I'm not entirely sure if I ever closed my account with those Japan Car Direct guys and got my deposit back or whatever lol. Will have to try to look into that...

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Femtosecond posted:

tbh I'm not entirely sure if I ever closed my account with those Japan Car Direct guys and got my deposit back or whatever lol. Will have to try to look into that...

Nice low mile auto L400 up tonight, no graphics or moon roof but looks very very clean

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

ugh im so disorganized I haven't even started looking around yet. Maybe an incentive to get off my rear end.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
There was an update to the L400 Delica in '96 (Series I vs Series II) - the Series II are preferable. It's a very subtle cosmetic difference but they addressed a few mechanical faults in the Series 1 like the fuel pump, which is something like an 8 hour job to replace on a Delica IIRC.

You should also decide whether you want a long or short wheelbase and short or high roof (the high roof isn't that much higher, but some people swear by it for camper setups). LWB is definitely more uncommon but not as bad as trying to find a manual (I'd guess it's like 10:1 or more in favour of autos).

quote:

The 2800 turbo diesel is king, 5 speeds being the most desirable but might not matter to you.

Haven't owned one, but been lurking the Australian Delica Owner's group for a few years, and the petrol V6 gets plenty of love... I wouldn't say the 2.8TD is a slam dunk by any means. Nobody's really rabid about either (for or against), but the diesels in particular are known for overheating down here, though you may have less an issue with that in BC than we do. The consensus seems to be that the petrols are either designed a little better, or just seem better due to lower numbers of owners to report faults.

There's apparently another Mitsu engine (I think out of a Triton?) that while not quite a bolt-in can be fitted with minimal dramas that offers a power and reliable upgrade from the 2.8 TD. L400s have also been V8 swapped (LS1 and Toyota) but retaining 4WD makes that a fair bit less straightforward.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Last night I ended up with my cheapest win yet! Very surprised I ended up being the only bidder. 96 Mitsubishi Minicab, just 2wd but has AC. I always do well with vans in nice shape and the roof rack always helps too.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Super sweet! Do they let you take the roof rack off for shipping? I’m sure cost difference wouldn’t be much different though.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Super sweet! Do they let you take the roof rack off for shipping? I’m sure cost difference wouldn’t be much different though.

They would take it off to save shipping, But they won’t ask me, already know I don’t want racks taken off. Shipping cost is based on volume so it costs more with rack but not that much. Used to be able to secure loads but lately I’ve had lots of wheels and such go missing at port. I’ll just pay the extra.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, small chips in windshield, interior dirty, battery dead, cargo area dents scratches panels attached, muffler corrosion hole, exhaust leak, undercarriage surface rust, other dents scratches

Inspection Report posted:

battery dead, engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, tires at 70% ok, spare ok, cargo area small scratches and dents only, undercarriage looks good except muffler with holes, body as is in diagram, windshield chips small, seats good, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, no burns, ac ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, wipers ok, power steering ok

1989 Toyota ToyoAce, essentially the same truck as the white one we just sold but this one has a Y series gasoline engine instead, also thought about deko one time as it has a few cosmetic embellishments. Baller chrome wheel covers? Check. Externally-mounted sun visor? Check. Blue paint with silver front bumper AND fascia? Motherfuckin' CHECK. A bit snazzier interior pattern as well. 16,141 total km, so a hair over 10,000 miles. 5 speed manual, air conditioning, 1.5 ton, just really clean. It looks like it has secondary rear lights both in red AND white, the single white light is on the rear right cargo bar. I'm guessing that's what those two switches to the right of the steering wheel are for. Only flaw is a dead battery :(

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That’s a sweet truck!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
INA GAKI DA VIDA

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Does anyone sense a theme with my wins tonight? Just couldn’t pass them up

1996 Land Cruiser (diesel, 5-speed, 4wd obviously)

1996 Nissan Safari (5 speed, 4wd)

And my favorite, 1995 Daihatsu HiJet Deck Van with unique canvas rear cover

And finished the night with one more, 1996 Nissan Atlas. Been wanting this platform for the ultimate camper build, but usually when I decide to keep something people start wanting to buy it.

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 20, 2021

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
So good, way to clean out the firehouse. The HiAce caught my eye too.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

So good, way to clean out the firehouse. The HiAce caught my eye too.

It was crazy tonight so so many good fire vehicles up.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Does anyone sense a theme with my wins tonight? Just couldn’t pass them up

1996 Land Cruiser (diesel, 5-speed, 4wd obviously)

1996 Nissan Safari (5 speed, 4wd)

And my favorite, 1995 Daihatsu HiJet Deck Van with unique canvas rear cover

And finished the night with one more, 1996 Nissan Atlas. Been wanting this platform for the ultimate camper build, but usually when I decide to keep something people start wanting to buy it.

Rad! The Land Cruiser fire trucks always look super good but I'm always scared away because the pump is integrated into the body of the thing, a buddy who does this out in California picked one up to do a camper build with it. Turns out that it's much, much harder to deal with the pump and it's fittings and its connection to the engine of the truck than they thought. Pump is PTO, linkages and axles and things all stuck in it, not to mention the tubes! On the other hand, under 10k km HZ 70 series.

The Deckvan is straight killer though.

Over the past couple days I have been messing with this:

88 Hilux double cab pickup finally in our possession and it's the ultimate dad killer. The green Hilux we had is the same deal, older millennials just love this thing, me included. Tires were ancient studless winter tires so they're out, replaced with God's Own. Needs brake work, pulses when slowing and stopping so that's on the list. The crash bar (?) is bent so that needs to be fixed and the suspension should probably get some new absorbers and bushings as I am almost certain that these are the originals.
More important than all that though is the Spectrum Analyzer was only working with a CD, plus the head units wouldn't turn off when the truck was off. Pulled it out, saw the PO was a loving dumbass but thankfully nice enough to get a wiring harness instead of hacking up the originals, and fixed the connections. Each unit has its ground wire but they were just bundled and twisty-tied to the units. Left and right channels were reversed AND the guy didn't connect the passthroughs so the spectrum analyzer just sat there doing gently caress-all unless you played a CD. Dude had this thing for DECADES and it didn't do poo poo. Got that sorted which means this stereo stays put.

Installed this

now I have bluetooth and the graphics fly~

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011

everdave posted:

Last night I ended up with my cheapest win yet! Very surprised I ended up being the only bidder. 96 Mitsubishi Minicab, just 2wd but has AC. I always do well with vans in nice shape and the roof rack always helps too.

I saw this while window shopping, I think I like the Mitsu Minicab more than the Hondas. I'm curious if you guys are 100% online, or do you hustle cars in person? That stripped out microvan would be perfect for a home inspector, or one of those gutter helmet guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

A Loud Fart posted:

I saw this while window shopping, I think I like the Mitsu Minicab more than the Hondas. I'm curious if you guys are 100% online, or do you hustle cars in person? That stripped out microvan would be perfect for a home inspector, or one of those gutter helmet guys.

Mostly in person for my wife and I, by nature of how we sell and where. Probably a 75-25 split with in person/internet never meet the people directly.
Majority now come from Instagram or referrals, in the sense that someone will see a car we sold out, ask the person about it who then tell them about us. Or we list a car for sale and someone that follows us on instagram snatches it while going "finally it came up for sale". We don't hustle at all, we fire customers and will just straight-up stop talking to people that give us the runaround. People always send us messages like you always get on facebook with like half of what the list price is but then they add 'CASH' in all caps. Buddy, it's always cash we don't finance get the hell out of here lmao

This whole deal, for my wife and I anyway, is

1. Fun
2. Cool
3. Money

Once it stops being fun we're out.