Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I wish there were more "trap based" games. I feel like there was a PS2 game that had that theme as well, but it was a third person thing? Those style games are great

Orcs Must Die is full of traps but it's more a tower defense kind of game.

Vic has a new favorite as of 15:50 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

I wish there were more "trap based" games. I feel like there was a PS2 game that had that theme as well, but it was a third person thing? Those style games are great

Tecmo's Deception series.

When I played through the original Evil Genius I barely used traps, because the good guys would be absolutely enthralled by locked doors. You could have two corridors at the entrance of your base and if one of them was high security locked door after locked door it would keep invading forces absolutely focused on trying to get in that way.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I picked up a PSVR Aim controller recently, and have been playing through Farpoint. One thing I enjoy is that the orientation of the joystick is such that tilting it towards the camera is alway move forward. Wether I have my gun aimed at the screen or at my side, it makes it easy to keep moving. It also has a button that shows where the camera is as well as it’s effective area of view, which is helpful if I get moved around a little.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mierenneuker posted:

Tecmo's Deception series.

When I played through the original Evil Genius I barely used traps, because the good guys would be absolutely enthralled by locked doors. You could have two corridors at the entrance of your base and if one of them was high security locked door after locked door it would keep invading forces absolutely focused on trying to get in that way.

Oh yeahhhh that's the one! Never got to play those, I wonder if they're worth it on an emulator or something

And yeah you can just sorta cheese it with locked doors forever. The original Evil Genius didn't exactly have the smartest good guys. But it was way less satisfying then elaborate fan and spring based contraptions imo

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Deception games were great. At the beginning it was just the novelty of turning the traditional dungeon crawler experience on its head--you start out as a well intentioned protagonist betrayed by the villains, but in short order you're actively working with Satan to get revenge. Almost everyone you kill has something to live for in their bio that makes their death tragic.

It was hilarious at the time, though I haven't gone back to see if they hold up even the slightest. They get more anime in their presentation, and their budgets never really rise about middling, but they are all weird in some way you can have fun with.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The Arkham games learned real quick that if there's a moment where you are playing as Bruce for story beat reasons and re-obtain the bat suit, that prompt had better not say "Put on Batsuit", it'd better goddamn say "Suit Up" because that is just way cooler. They did it in every game, even Arkham VR.

Game- "L1 - Even the odds"

Me- "gently caress yeah!" *proceed to slam Batmobile directly into a building

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You could probably make a whole thread just out of QTE/trigger prompts. I think there was a twitter account that does that but I can't find it right now.

The Stubbs the Zombie rerelease has a template popup for when someone is vulnerable, so you constantly see "press triangle to eat cop brains" and similar

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm kind of bouncing off the strategic layer, but I'm really impressed with how well CA captured the feel of playing different armies in the Warhammer Total War series. I've played a lot of tabletop games as Lizardmen (now Seraphon in Age of Sigmar), and you can make the same assertions about the army in the videogame as you can in the tabletop. Broadly, the lizardmen have very solid frontline units with high morale, good armor, and decent damage output while still being relatively cheap, making them great at grinding light infantry and tarpitting everything else while you bring the lizardmen's other great strengths, huge nasty beasts and powerful spell casters, to bear. Even though Total War battles tend to be on larger scales than tabletop battles, you still get a pretty accurate 1:1 translation of each tabletop unit into the videogame. That's no small feat, but I'm thrilled that I already know how to battle with my electronic dinosaurs from playing tabletop.

It especially came through when I fought Skaven for the first time. I knew I had an impending confrontation with a Skaven faction, so I started incorporating more cavalry and flyers into my armies to counter their skirmishers and artillery that I had no reason to expect they had except that I was familiar with their tabletop counterparts. It payed off beautifully and it felt *awesome*

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

You could probably make a whole thread just out of QTE/trigger prompts. I think there was a twitter account that does that but I can't find it right now.

The Stubbs the Zombie rerelease has a template popup for when someone is vulnerable, so you constantly see "press triangle to eat cop brains" and similar

Prototype 2:
New objective: Bail out of the helicopter to gently caress over the New Templar scientists

:allears:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Riatsala posted:

I'm kind of bouncing off the strategic layer, but I'm really impressed with how well CA captured the feel of playing different armies in the Warhammer Total War series. I've played a lot of tabletop games as Lizardmen (now Seraphon in Age of Sigmar), and you can make the same assertions about the army in the videogame as you can in the tabletop. Broadly, the lizardmen have very solid frontline units with high morale, good armor, and decent damage output while still being relatively cheap, making them great at grinding light infantry and tarpitting everything else while you bring the lizardmen's other great strengths, huge nasty beasts and powerful spell casters, to bear. Even though Total War battles tend to be on larger scales than tabletop battles, you still get a pretty accurate 1:1 translation of each tabletop unit into the videogame. That's no small feat, but I'm thrilled that I already know how to battle with my electronic dinosaurs from playing tabletop.

It especially came through when I fought Skaven for the first time. I knew I had an impending confrontation with a Skaven faction, so I started incorporating more cavalry and flyers into my armies to counter their skirmishers and artillery that I had no reason to expect they had except that I was familiar with their tabletop counterparts. It payed off beautifully and it felt *awesome*

Total Warhammer is the Reece's peanutbutter cups of video games

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Prototype 2:
New objective: Bail out of the helicopter to gently caress over the New Templar scientists

I'm a simple man and doom eternal's "You can't just shoot a hole into the surface of Mars!"/OBJECTIVE: SHOOT A HOLE IN MARS gave me joy

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Oh yeahhhh that's the one! Never got to play those, I wonder if they're worth it on an emulator or something

I haven't played it but I think the latest one on PS4 got good reviews if that's easier?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

World War Mammories posted:

I'm a simple man and doom eternal's "You can't just shoot a hole into the surface of Mars!"/OBJECTIVE: SHOOT A HOLE IN MARS gave me joy

It's not an objective per se but I will always love Portal 2's "The Part Where He Kills You (This Is That Part)"

That and the whole brainwave that an entire videogame prompted you to have re: shooting a portal on the actual goddamn moon

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Phy posted:

That and the whole brainwave that an entire videogame prompted you to have re: shooting a portal on the actual goddamn moon

Thats such a great moment with how subtly they signpost it. "Wait, they don't want me to...Oh yeah!"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When my friend showed me Tecmos Deception he named the main character Tecmoo and ever since that day I have to make a concerted effort not to read the title as Tecmoo's Deception. It's like some bizarre and incredibly specific form of dsylexia.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Morpheus posted:

When my friend showed me Tecmos Deception he named the main character Tecmoo and ever since that day I have to make a concerted effort not to read the title as Tecmoo's Deception. It's like some bizarre and incredibly specific form of dsylexia.

Tecmoo's Deslexian.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dewgy posted:

Prototype 2:

I know it was done as a deliberate way to give them an out and say you don't have to shoot anyone and it's a choice the player makes, but regardless of all that the objective at the start of the No Russian level in CoD: Modern Warfare 2 just being "Follow Makarov's Lead" is really clever for doing just that tbh.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Phy posted:

It's not an objective per se but I will always love Portal 2's "The Part Where He Kills You (This Is That Part)"

And they even added the delay that the portal would need to arrive at the moon at light speed, talk about attention to details.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Man I loved the original evil genius so much. are there any previews bouncing around to let me know if they captured the magic of the first one?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

CJacobs posted:

The progression from Sonic Unleashed to Colors and then Sonic Generations to Lost World feels like that scene in Courage the Cowardly Dog when child Muriel is being real picky about her macaroni and cheese dinner ingredients. More gimmick levels! Fewer gimmick levels! More focus on boosting! Less focus on boosting! More stupid annoying robot sidekicks for Eggman! FEWER ANNOYING ROBOT SIDEKICKS NO PLEASE GO BACK

My fave example of this was the character creator in one of the more recent games.

When I was a dorky teen I was on Sonic fan forums, and there were tons of people that would have killed to get their terrible fan characters into the game. I remember several times in discussion the idea popping up to make a sonic game that you could make your OC© do not steal in. Most of them were just pallette swaps.

But nope you got to make bugeyed freak... Cats? Monkeys?

Character species that didn't look like the existing ones. Stupid as gently caress.

Just making a blank character model to pick and choose parts from and color sliders would've been more satisfying but they made a bad game AND a bad character creation.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Mar 18, 2021

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My favorite Sonic Forces character creations are the ones that look like soulless knockoffs of the real characters:

I could picture this guy on a like backpack in China or something next to sweaters featuring Calvin pissing and Bart Simpson saying "do not have a chow, friend"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That's the reverse-equivalent of people getting random kanji as a tattoo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Lone Badger posted:

That's the reverse-equivalent of people getting random kanji as a tattoo

"What is that English phrase on the backpack?"

"It stands for hope, pride, and equality."

"How about the other one?"

"Obama is the name of the 2008 US president"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

And they even added the delay that the portal would need to arrive at the moon at light speed, talk about attention to details.
It's both realistic and pauses all the action for a beat, just long enough to make you start wondering if it worked. There's a lot that's been said about the amount of direction/handholding in Valve's games, but if their method enables them to engineer moments like that one, I'll take it any day.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Phy posted:

Retro Futurist posted:

Thats such a great moment with how subtly they signpost it. "Wait, they don't want me to...Oh yeah!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Morpheus posted:

While I just keep reading it as Decepticon.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Nuclear War posted:

Man I loved the original evil genius so much. are there any previews bouncing around to let me know if they captured the magic of the first one?

Pretty sure it's all still under embargo. It looks great but we'll see if it holds up.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Total Warhammer 2 just released some FreeLC adding a cruel Dark Elf Beastmaster character to the game, and he’s voiced by Iwan Rheon, who played super-sadist Ramsay Bolton in Game of Thrones.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Shai-Hulud posted:

Pretty sure it's all still under embargo. It looks great but we'll see if it holds up.

One of my go to you tubers just dropped a few videos on it actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPwRg1q98o8

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Nuclear War posted:

One of my go to you tubers just dropped a few videos on it actually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPwRg1q98o8

I really hope they take out the money counter bouncing and lighting up every time you earn income, that is already annoying

Looks great otherwise

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Ace-Combat-alike Project Wingman has this pop up when a character says the phrase "Project wingman" over the radio:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

haveblue posted:

Loads of games like weird trippy dream sequences, and I still get a kick out of things like "Objective: ?????" "Location: Where Am I?"

Deadpool has a fun sequence where you're jumping around in a giant robot boot with a big machine gun, and "Objective: Be Awesome". Periodically the boot breaks down and you have a QTE sequence to fix it that starts to get increasingly and absurdly long until it starts to fill the screen.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phy posted:

or in Asura's Wrath, where one of the antagonists does a very bad thing that drives the main character into a berserker fury that destroys like half the continent. as he's transforming, the popup appears:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: HEADS WILL ROLL

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Speaking of Asura's Wrath (final boss spoilers) when Super God or whatever reveals it was all a test to see if Asura was worthy, and asks him to take his hand. When you press the prompt for "extend hand" it instantly turns into the punch QTE as Asura decks him in the jaw :allears: That game was absolutely perfect

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Danaru posted:

Speaking of Asura's Wrath (final boss spoilers) when Super God or whatever reveals it was all a test to see if Asura was worthy, and asks him to take his hand. When you press the prompt for "extend hand" it instantly turns into the punch QTE as Asura decks him in the jaw :allears: That game was absolutely perfect

The final boss getting his own QTEs to block your attacks that he starts failing as the fight goes on was just a really good addition as well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
someone set that fight to My Hero Academia's "You Say Run" and it works flawlessly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9WAaZeW90o

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that when you take a screenshot in Dreams it puts the Dream title in the screenshot filename. Nice to help you remember where they're from.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://i.imgur.com/WasumDP.mp4
Spider-man gets very high marks in my top criteria for enjoying a game, letting you wear dumb outfits during dramatic moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And unlike most game characters, it's actually appropriate to the character and source material.