Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Begall posted:

I currently have a Ryzen 5 3100 CPU and an RX 570 GPU. Thanks to GPU market craziness I’ve purchased a 1080 as an upgrade to the RX 570 for maybe as little as £55 net cost, and it’s got me wondering about whether the new card will be bottlenecked by my current CPU.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with whether going to a 3600 (with a stock cooler) would be worthwhile for 1440p/144hz gaming with a 1080? I think I could do it for a net cost of maybe £65 by selling the 3100.

3600 works great for 1440p/144hz for me, although I have an RTX 3070. I don't think the cpu is often a bottleneck at higher resolutions, the GPU becomes much more important there

IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noobles
Aug 17, 2004

Alright well I’m still scratching my head over this but I’m gonna put this here in case it helps someone else.

I posted before about my ASRock B550 board that worked fine for a month and a half suddenly developed the USB issue where the ports would randomly disconnect/reconnect. Usual fixes did nothing to remedy it. Well, my girlfriend has Firefox going with about a billion tabs open and set to restore them when Firefox starts, after clearing a bunch of them down to a reasonable amount the USB issue seems to be corrected, best I can tell is that’s the ONLY thing different and now it’s completely fine. Can’t say I even begin to understand why that did anything but if you guys are having the issue try closing your browser down or killing tabs to less than 20 open at a time and see if that’s the culprit.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Begall posted:

I currently have a Ryzen 5 3100 CPU and an RX 570 GPU. Thanks to GPU market craziness I’ve purchased a 1080 as an upgrade to the RX 570 for maybe as little as £55 net cost, and it’s got me wondering about whether the new card will be bottlenecked by my current CPU.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with whether going to a 3600 (with a stock cooler) would be worthwhile for 1440p/144hz gaming with a 1080? I think I could do it for a net cost of maybe £65 by selling the 3100.

The 3100 has the same clocks as the 3600, doesn't it? Probably not worth the upgrade unless you're playing something that really wants >4 physical cores.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Arzachel posted:

The 3100 has the same clocks as the 3600, doesn't it? Probably not worth the upgrade unless you're playing something that really wants >4 physical cores.

no i think the 3300x is the cut down 3600, i don't know how they make 3100s but they're a million times easier to find

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CoolCab posted:

no i think the 3300x is the cut down 3600, i don't know how they make 3100s but they're a million times easier to find

All of the Ryzen parts all the way up and down the stack use the same chips, so they are both "cut down 3800Xs" in a way. The design has two distinct 4-core clusters. The 3100 has 2 cores in each cluster working. A 3300 has all 4 cores in one of the 4 core clusters working, with the other fully disabled. Functionally, this is faster because the cores don't have to reach over the slower fabric to the other cluster to talk to each other, and the cache is all sitting locally.

As for whether an upgrade to a 3600 will help, I would take a gander at the GN charts and the games you play. It might make a difference, but at 1440p with a 1080, you are likely going to be GPU bound most of the time on new titles.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3580-amd-ryzen-3-3100-cpu-review-benchmarks-overclocking-gaming

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Cygni posted:

All of the Ryzen parts all the way up and down the stack use the same chips, so they are both "cut down 3800Xs" in a way. The design has two distinct 4-core clusters. The 3100 has 2 cores in each cluster working. A 3300 has all 4 cores in one of the 4 core clusters working, with the other fully disabled. Functionally, this is faster because the cores don't have to reach over the slower fabric to the other cluster to talk to each other, and the cache is all sitting locally.

huh, interesting. thanks!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

my local retailer finally got some stock of Ryzen 3 3100 in and I've been using it all this weekend - I'm quite impressed at how well Zen 2 runs: I've been playing NFS Heat and Outriders and paired with my 3060Ti it can hold a steady 75 FPS lock on both at 1440p. Where the 2400G was struggling on Heat and hitting 80C, the 3100 holds steady and keeps a pleasant 65-66C

and that's on the weakest of the Zen 2 CPUs yet

I realize not all people are gonna be watching the GPU thread with equal intensity, but Hardware Unboxed recently ran a piece showing how bloated the CPU overhead on modern NVidia drivers has gotten. You are probably *still* CPU bottlenecked there, and could gain some FPS with something a little higher up the stack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLEIJhunaW8

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I realize not all people are gonna be watching the GPU thread with equal intensity, but Hardware Unboxed recently ran a piece showing how bloated the CPU overhead on modern NVidia drivers has gotten. You are probably *still* CPU bottlenecked there, and could gain some FPS with something a little higher up the stack.

That is some really nice research.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Aw yiss!

Finally some motion with that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I probably could, and I'm thinking of either moving up to a 3700X or a 5600X just because I'm that impressed by 7nm, but at the same time, I cap my games at my monitor's refresh, which is only 75 Hz, so I don't feel too pressured to step up just yet

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 15, 2021

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Noobles posted:

Alright well I’m still scratching my head over this but I’m gonna put this here in case it helps someone else.

I posted before about my ASRock B550 board that worked fine for a month and a half suddenly developed the USB issue where the ports would randomly disconnect/reconnect. Usual fixes did nothing to remedy it. Well, my girlfriend has Firefox going with about a billion tabs open and set to restore them when Firefox starts, after clearing a bunch of them down to a reasonable amount the USB issue seems to be corrected, best I can tell is that’s the ONLY thing different and now it’s completely fine. Can’t say I even begin to understand why that did anything but if you guys are having the issue try closing your browser down or killing tabs to less than 20 open at a time and see if that’s the culprit.

I think it could be this issue?

https://community.amd.com/t5/knowledge-base/updated-agesa-coming-for-intermittent-usb-connectivity/ta-p/456762

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
EPYC Milan review is out

https://www.anandtech.com/print/16529/amd-epyc-milan-review

TL;DR - Suck it, Intel. Suck it long, suck it hard.

Pretty sure that this won't really impact most companies' decisions to buy Intel unfortunately, sadly.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

necrobobsledder posted:

Pretty sure that this won't really impact most companies' decisions to buy Intel unfortunately, sadly.
I would assume demand vastly exceeding supply is the biggest issue for the average buyer. I can't see AMD struggling to make them quicker than they can sell them.

Phoronix review
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=epyc-7003-linux-perf&num=1

ServeTheHome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2bEoW6FcBA

edit: if you hate yourself and want to watch a corporate launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtrhHH0kQI0

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yikes, uncore power consumption went up. That'll turn a potential TR3 into a bigger over night space heater over here. :[

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Okay, now AMD is just stunting.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Okay, now AMD is just stunting.

Technoking Elon tweets that all model year 2022 Teslas will use one of that model of Epyc as their OBC and another one to drive the entertainment center, and all spare cycles will be mining butts.

Max range lowered to 58 miles.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

mdxi posted:

Technoking Elon tweets that all model year 2022 Teslas will use one of that model of Epyc as their OBC and another one to drive the entertainment center, and all spare cycles will be mining butts.

Max range lowered to 58 miles.

You can help offset your monthly car payment by mining buttcoins for daddy Elon. Join up today!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I picked up a 5800x the other day. I know the thread advice for Zen 3 overclocking is "Turn on XMP, maybe set curve optimizer to -10, stop loving with it, " but, you can't tell me what to do, dad. So, I kept loving with it, and ran into a couple strange problems in the process.

The first is that my memory controller won't do 3600 at any sane voltage. Not the 1.1 most people seem to do it with, not 1.25, not even 1.275 that I tried "just to see" but definitely wouldn't actually run 24/7. It just won't do it. Prime 95 large (actually custom with the large FFT sizes but set to use most of my memory) throws rounding errors in most threads almost immediately.

3533 works fine, though. At auto voltage. :shrug: (The unsustainable chip murdering voltage that Asus feeds your SoC when you turn on XMP, which hwinfo reports as...1.08) Passes several hours of memtest and did 24 hours of Prime95 large no sweat.

I know it's the controller and not the ram itself because I could do 3800 with dram calculator fast timings, but that only worked because this motherboard goes to UCLK=MCLK/2 once you go past 3600. ...which I didn't realize until spending a couple hours dicking around with timings trying to figure out how the gently caress I was getting 75ns latency in AIDA at 3800. If I drop to 3600 it gets expected latency, but it eats poo poo in any memory test.

I'll just run it at 3533 and not worry about the imperceptible performance difference. But, I don't think I've ever seen such a sudden drop off like that when overclocking something. From fine at barely over stock voltage to "it boots, but doesn't actually work" with as much voltage as you'd ever want to feed it after only a single speed step.

The second weird problem is that changing primary memory timings now makes the computer not boot. I can play with secondary/tertiary stuff all day but if I touch tCL, either tCRD, tRAP, or tRAS - even to make them slower - it's time to break out the screwdriver to jump the clear CMOS pins. This was an absolute bitch to troubleshoot that took me another couple hours, in no small part because it was working fine earlier. (I doubt this ram would do 3800 at XMP primary timings) I have no idea what would cause that outside of a UEFI bug, but that seems unlikely because...it was working fine earlier.

I did, at least, figure out that this chip will do -25 all core curve optimizer with +50Mhz PBO limit. So I've got that going for me. It's only one core that doesn't seem to be able to do -30 so I could keep tweaking it but I'm kind of burnt out at this point.

Anyway, that's what I ran into while spending several hours across three days chasing single digit % performance gains. Take this as a warning about not following thread advice. Or don't and see what weird poo poo you run into.

Theris fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 18, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Did you keep TDP @ 142W to hit +50MHz @ -25counts?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah I left the power limits on auto, so 142W TDP and 140A EDC.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

In a comical reversal of fortunes, AMD has seceded the entire low end to Intel and basically doesn't have any products there anymore, and i imagine it will stay that way until AMD has enough product on the shelf and in servers that they can justify launching lower profit parts with the same dies.

also, their GPUs now run up to 20% faster than nvidia on the same cpu if you're cpu bound in games. i have no idea what happened on the gpu side for that to happen but just big lmaos all around

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Truga posted:

also, their GPUs now run up to 20% faster than nvidia on the same cpu if you're cpu bound in games. i have no idea what happened on the gpu side for that to happen but just big lmaos all around

the overly simple answer is that the CPU still has to tell the GPU what to draw, even if its the GPU that has to draw it, and AMD's drivers are more efficient for whatever reason, so you can "get more work" out of a slow CPU feeding instructions to an AMD GPU, than a slow CPU feeding instructions to an NVidia GPU

this is why if you're pairing a slow CPU with a relatively much more powerful GPU and the game is choking the CPU (say something like an FX-4100 combined with an RTX 3070), dropping the resolution won't help - it's so much simpler for the GPU to render a 720p scene so the GPU is just waiting to be fed instructions by the CPU, but the CPU already can't talk to the GPU fast enough between all the other stuff it has to do, so you get no increase in FPS. In cases like these, it's actually better to keep increasing the graphical settings and the resolution so that you shift more of the work back to the GPU (until you start seeing drops in FPS again)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Truga posted:

Apparently this has to do with software vs hardware scheduling on GPUs. Nvidia went to software scheduling during the DX 11 era because it allowed them to use the excess CPU power most people had (lots of multi-core CPUs while games remained single-threaded) to make the GPU more efficient. As a result, the Nvidia GPUs ran games of that era more efficiently.

However, games are now much better about using multiple threads so this software scheduler eats into those cycles. AMD still uses a hardware scheduler on their GPUs so they don't run into this same kind of issue.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh yeah that makes sense. i remember hw scheduler being a big thing back during early vulkan/dx12 days and people just went "nah, just buy a faster cpu"

i guess that still works if you have a high enough budget for now

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's this HAGS stuff in Windows then? It's available with NVidia, too.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Theris posted:

Anyway, that's what I ran into while spending several hours across three days chasing single digit % performance gains. Take this as a warning about not following thread advice. Or don't and see what weird poo poo you run into.

Yeah that's RAM overclocking for you, I had all of those issues with my 3950X and it turns out it wasn't the RAM or the CPU limiting my overclocking headroom but the motherboard. I had the same issues with a 5800X in that mobo but they went away when I moved it over to a new one, now I can run 3800MHz 1:1 with the Ryzen calc fast settings which is much better than I could do with the other mobo. I also have to clear the BIOS if I try to gently caress around with it more beyond that so I just left it, not gonna mess with it for a month like I did with the 3950X.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Theris posted:

3533 works fine, though. At auto voltage. :shrug: (The unsustainable chip murdering voltage that Asus feeds your SoC when you turn on XMP, which hwinfo reports as...1.08) Passes several hours of memtest and did 24 hours of Prime95 large no sweat.

Try 3733 just for the hell of it?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I initially read this as 1337.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I passed through it on the way down from 3800 when I was trying to figure out the breakpoint where it switches from UCLK==MCLK to UCLK==MCLK/2, it worked fine because it was still at MCLK/2.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Theris posted:

I passed through it on the way down from 3800 when I was trying to figure out the breakpoint where it switches from UCLK==MCLK to UCLK==MCLK/2, it worked fine because it was still at MCLK/2.

Isn't the Infinity fabric only able to hit 1800 MHz? I thought that was why nobody runs ryzen ram above 3600

E: unrelated question - is the 5800x really worth the money over a 5600x for gaming? I'm seeing a $150 difference these days

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

VostokProgram posted:

Isn't the Infinity fabric only able to hit 1800 MHz? I thought that was why nobody runs ryzen ram above 3600

E: unrelated question - is the 5800x really worth the money over a 5600x for gaming? I'm seeing a $150 difference these days

1900 IF or 3800 on mem is a hard-stop wall most people are running into. 3600 should be fine no problem (assuming either samsung b-die, micron e-die, prob even cj hynix, etc). I'm at 3733 mem / 1667 IF myself because 3800 won't POST (or won't stay stable for more than 1 minute) and this is really common.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

No, in fact the 5600x occasionally benchmarks ever so slightly higher probably because it’s easier to get 6 cores of heat off a chiplet than 8.

The real upgrade would be a 5900x which is a pretty big jump.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 19, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is Anand's review of the 5950X boosting to 5.1ghz backed up by other people or is it just a golden sample to a known reviewer?

A friend has a 360mm AIO and ROG X570-E currently paired to a 2700X while he waited for zen3, and he has dreamed of a "5ghz Threadripper" since 2017. Since he's at the end of the AM4 platform, he wants a 5900X but with supply being as it is I've considered suggesting he step up to the 5950X because, yes, expensive, but it also sounds like the chip he's always wanted.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

Zen 3 seems to be a bit better about going past 1800, including mine that seemed to be fine at 1900. The problem I had at that speed is that past 3600/1800 my motherboard halves the memory controller clock ("UCLK", not the infinity fabric which is "FCLK") which does horrible things to latency, and it doesn't have an option in UEFI to change that. Not that it matters, since apparently my memory controller can't handle 1800+ at full speed even if the fabric can.

Craptacular! posted:

Is Anand's review of the 5950X boosting to 5.1ghz backed up by other people or is it just a golden sample to a known reviewer?

Edit: I misunderstood this with my original answer. It's easily achievable with PBO/curve optimizer but I don't know if they'll all do it out of the box.

Theris fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 19, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Craptacular! posted:

Making my 5800X hit 5.05GHz peak clocks was trivial fwiw

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's this HAGS stuff in Windows then? It's available with NVidia, too.
makes games crash more

or run better, someday, supposedly

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Is this the right thread to ask about motherboards?

After literally three months of having a RTX 3080 sitting in my living room, not plugged into anything, taunting me, I have finally been shipped a 5900x to pair it with. :toot:

Now I need a rest of the computer. I have a PSU, I have 64GB of RAM that claims to be guaranteed for CL 16-16-16-38 @ 3600MHz, I have a nice case- I need a motherboard.

I don't need anything particularly fancy, I'm not planning to overclock anything. A lot of SATA might be nice, because I have a lot of old HDDs lying around with stuff on them, but I won't cry if I have to ditch a few. Just the basics; ethernet, some USB, audio whatever, NVMe or M.2, not fussed, and a memory topology that is going to play nice with the RAM (4 sticks).

Oh, and I guess I'll need a CPU fan. Anyone got one they like?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

A cooler? Noctua NHD15s, check it fits your case. Done.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I have 64GB of RAM that claims to be guaranteed for CL 16-16-16-38 @ 3600MHz

Not how this works. Cross your fingers for best results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Edit: Deleted. I have a niche use-case, and don't want to be handing out what might be bad advice for most people's interests.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 19, 2021