Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I mean, I think you can trust a dealer dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

so i just learned something fun. apparently i got rejected for a car loan. this came as a complete shock to me as someone whose credit score it almost 800. apparently although the score is high, i didn't have much rolling credit so it might as well have been 500 (why that doesn't factor into my credit score in the first place is quite puzzling)

so it seems i may have to hold off on buying a new car at the moment.

but i was curious. my nissan sentra 04 has a little over 200k miles on it. would it make sense if i just held onto it for a while longer? how long would such a car last?

How long your car will last is unknowable. I hope you use the time to do something about your credit score, though, so you can get a loan to replace it.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Motronic posted:

Which credit score is this now? Because you don't have just one. You have probably hundreds. Different businesses use different model.

transunion and experian afaik. and both of them are super high (and they even mentioned it)

Bouillon Rube posted:

I mean, I think you can trust a dealer dude

it was actually through a credit union

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

transunion and experian afaik. and both of them are super high (and they even mentioned it)

it was actually through a credit union

This may be a case where the 0% loan through the dealer would be the way to go, assuming they approve it.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Bought a truck today. Feel like we did pretty good in the negotiating department: didn't take the extended warranty that was indeed offered, truck "only had one key" so they wanted to charge us $600 for the second key I'm pretty sure they had the whole time and we got that taken off but still got a second key, got them to meet us in the middle on the price so we could keep our payment down to our budget. We went in to test drive and otherwise check out the truck, didn't plan on driving the truck off the lot, we were prepared to walk away if the negotiating didn't go in our favor--ultimately we drove off with a 2016 F150 Lariat in amazing interior condition with decent mileage that was owned by one person who had bought it there brand-new. It's the newest vehicle we've ever owned and we managed to get the goddamn thing within our budget when it was originally outside of it. Very glad we chose to check this one out rather than the one with the CPO warranty with a V6 that was $3k more and was going to be a lot tougher to bring down to our budget, or probably next to impossible.

Tonight we learned that the salesman's job is to keep you there as long as possible and wear you down, so being prepared to walk away to avoid getting stuck with something for which you paid too much and isn't exactly what you want at the price you wanna pay is golden advice I seem to remember reading here. If you walk away and they don't call back the next day agreeing to meet you somewhere near your price at the very least, it wasn't meant to be.

We said we had a preapproval already and told the dude which bank, and we said if he could beat our rate we'd go with whoever their finance firm was. Turns out it was the credit union we bank with already and had a preapproval from, so the rate was the rate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

What I'm attempting to explain is that "transunion" and "equifax" are not a credit score. They are not even just two different credit scores.

If you're looking at, say CreditKarma or the like you're getting a model called VantageScore. Nobody uses that except for those sites. There's a FICO-<number> series of scores. One might be used for mortgages, one or more for credit cards, one for auto loans. Then there are products outside of FICO made for the same.

What this comes down to is that you really don't know what likely proprietary model they are using, and others offering the same class of loan product may be using a different but likely similar model. This matters in your situation because it informs you that saying "I have an 800 credit score" is meaningless to them, and that you should shop around even if you get rejections because not everyone uses the same system or has the same criteria for the score you need.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Proposed Budget:
Under $25k? Not a hard limit, but prefer to spend less if I can.

New or Used:
Leaning used, but open to new if there's a reason (PHEV credits?)

Body Style:
Prefer a hatchback/wagon, but open to other things if that's a huge constraint

How will you be using the car?:
Weekday use: occasional commuting, errands around town, ~20mile trips at the most.
Weekend use: carrying two people and our bicycles places (20 to 200 miles, with most trips being in the 20 - 40 miles range). For most of my bikes a hitch-mounted rack will suffice, but just to make things complicated, we have a tandem, and I really hate using a rack mount for the tandem. It would be amazing if the car can fit the tandem inside. It's 84" long with the front wheel off. I've seen pictures of this working in a Honda Fit with the passenger seat flat, so I'm hoping this isn't entirely unreasonable.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style):
Reliability > Safety = MPG > cost of ownership
I don't care about driving dynamics.
I would like a backup camera and things like blind spot assist, but don't need active lanekeeping or that sort of thing.
Having it be quiet inside would be a huge plus, but I know that's more of a luxury thing. Compared to my current car even having functional AC will be an improvement, so luxury is relative, I guess.

I'm in the pacific northwest, but I don't ski, so I don't care about AWD.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

How's the used car market in everyone's locality? Inventory around me seems insanely low still.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

bicievino posted:

Proposed Budget:
Under $25k? Not a hard limit, but prefer to spend less if I can.

New or Used:
Leaning used, but open to new if there's a reason (PHEV credits?)

Body Style:
Prefer a hatchback/wagon, but open to other things if that's a huge constraint

How will you be using the car?:
Weekday use: occasional commuting, errands around town, ~20mile trips at the most.
Weekend use: carrying two people and our bicycles places (20 to 200 miles, with most trips being in the 20 - 40 miles range). For most of my bikes a hitch-mounted rack will suffice, but just to make things complicated, we have a tandem, and I really hate using a rack mount for the tandem. It would be amazing if the car can fit the tandem inside. It's 84" long with the front wheel off. I've seen pictures of this working in a Honda Fit with the passenger seat flat, so I'm hoping this isn't entirely unreasonable.

What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style):
Reliability > Safety = MPG > cost of ownership
I don't care about driving dynamics.
I would like a backup camera and things like blind spot assist, but don't need active lanekeeping or that sort of thing.
Having it be quiet inside would be a huge plus, but I know that's more of a luxury thing. Compared to my current car even having functional AC will be an improvement, so luxury is relative, I guess.

I'm in the pacific northwest, but I don't ski, so I don't care about AWD.
Do you have any experience putting bicycles on the roof? It's the least complicated way that creates the least amount of interior damage. Downside is that you have to get a roof rack.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

How is a hitch mount going to work with something as long as a tandem?

It could go on the roof if you have a minivan.

I'm guessing you don't get the VW Transporter based vehicles in the States?

https://www.volkswagen-nutzfahrzeuge.ch/de/modelle/multivan-6-1.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
US has no shortage of minivans, and those can swallow up multiple bicycles wholesale. But sounds like a Prius with the roof rack is a way to go here. OP doesn't care about anything other than utility that the vehicle provides, and Prius is the most reliable and economical appliance-like thing you can get.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nitrox posted:

Do you have any experience putting bicycles on the roof? It's the least complicated way that creates the least amount of interior damage. Downside is that you have to get a roof rack.

Another downside of roof racks

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Nitrox posted:

Yes, I use a roof rack for bikes on my current car (98 subaru, so pretty low to the ground), including the tandem. I'd like to avoid it on new car for a handful of reasons:
My current rack doesn't accommodate mountain bikes,
My wife has trouble getting her bike up there without help,
Impact on mileage,
Concern about how modern cars all seem to be taller than what we have now, making it even harder to get bikes up there.

I'm not 100% opposed to it, but would prefer a hitch mount situation. The hitch *wouldn't* work for the tandem, which is why I'm interested in something long enough inside that I can put it in on the passenger side with all seats down.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Roof mount will open more possibilities than trying to fit the tandem in the passenger compartment, I think. You could roof mount the tandem and hitch mount other bikes, as it's unlikely your wife would ever have to put the tandem up by herself.

I might suggest the Prius V as an option. You might even be able to get the tandem in there by itself.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Roof mount will open more possibilities than trying to fit the tandem in the passenger compartment, I think. You could roof mount the tandem and hitch mount other bikes, as it's unlikely your wife would ever have to put the tandem up by herself.

I might suggest the Prius V as an option. You might even be able to get the tandem in there by itself.

Prius v is top of our list right now - hoping to go find one nearby to check out that interior space.
Since posting I've been digging around, and current contenders are:
Prius v
Kia Niro
Regular Prius (need to see in person if the internal space would work for us)
Rav4 hybrid

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the niro is small

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Bicycles tend to lovely up the interior real quick, especially if you ride on something other than clean asphalt. Think about that factor

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Nitrox posted:

Bicycles tend to lovely up the interior real quick, especially if you ride on something other than clean asphalt. Think about that factor

Definitely. Is there anything I should be mindful of with interior material that is easier to maintain with mud and stuff? I'm guessing cloth > leather, but besides that? I do race off-road so even if I'm putting the bikes on a rack, I'll be throwing muddy shoes & clothes in there.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bicievino posted:

I'm guessing cloth > leather, but besides that?

You would be wrong. Leather can be wiped clean. Cloth just gets gross forever. There's a reason shoes are made from leather. Vinyl is king of easy to clean surfaces but most people don't really want vinyl any more.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

You would be wrong. Leather can be wiped clean. Cloth just gets gross forever. There's a reason shoes are made from leather.

agree that inside a car leather is usually easier to clean with some exceptions, but plenty of shoes are made from cloth, what the hell?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

agree that inside a car leather is usually easier to clean with some exceptions, but plenty of shoes are made from cloth, what the hell?

Yeah and they gross!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

They are, but as I sit here wearing a pair of canvas Vans, it's clear that there are downsides there. Most shoes are leather.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

They are, but as I sit here wearing a pair of canvas Vans, it's clear that there are downsides there. Most shoes are leather.

they make very sophisticated materials that are not canvas now

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they make very sophisticated materials that are not canvas now

Are you really being pedantic about the existence of exotic water resistant materials when my original point was that leather is used for shoes because it's easy to clean? Not all easy to clean shoes have to be made of leather for that point to still be valid.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The history of shoe material is a funny conversation for the car buying thread, but I feel like ease of wiping off is probably pretty low in the list of reasons leather is used for shoemaking.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

just lol if your car interior isn’t lined with the finest equine anus leather

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Our Toyota has their fake leather (I think it's called Softex?) and it has been great. We purposely went for it over cloth after reading online about it's durability and ease of cleaning. No idea how other car brands fake leather compare or if that's a common name between them.

Not sure how relevant this is to bikes, but we're also very happy we got fitted model-specific rubber floor mats, weather mats, whatever you call them. We go hiking, snowshoeing, or camping every weekend and it's really nice to just toss wet muddy stuff in there if necessary.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bicievino posted:

Definitely. Is there anything I should be mindful of with interior material that is easier to maintain with mud and stuff? I'm guessing cloth > leather, but besides that? I do race off-road so even if I'm putting the bikes on a rack, I'll be throwing muddy shoes & clothes in there.

I have a cargo cover that attaches to the rear part of the back seats and covers the entire cargo area when the seats are down, it's made of this heavy duty nylon type of material and it's pretty tough might want to look into something like that. Super easy to clean off.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Cool, appreciate the education on the materials - I would definitely have gotten that wrong.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fairly overlapping with the current discussion but different budget and less experience with bikes besides throwing my bike in the back of compacts with the seat down or using the cheap trunk racks

Proposed Budget: $35k max, prefer to stay around $30

New or Used: probably gonna have to be new as I don't think I have it in me to used car watch to find a deal

Body Style: Fullsize, crossover/small SUV, comedy option small crew cab pickup

How will you be using the car?: Short commute daily driver M-F
Weekend warrior from an indie folk song music video: hauling gear for car camping, hauling bikes, hauling kayaks, hauling furniture from estate sales
Bonus if we can fit car camping gear plus bikes or kayaks with easy external racking or towing
Interested but not mandatory ability to tow smallest camper trailers.

What aspects are most important to you?
Best hauling value up to the point of diminishing returns for suburban tourist loads
Prefer phone integration with the console for maps. Have a lot of good feelings about Android Auto from rentals but would like anything that can cast google maps from an android to a console
SE US so main geographical concerns are in pouring rain handling and heat/AC effectiveness

E. I guess other important aspects is we have a lot of road debris so bonus points to anything that won't need the windshield replaced every 6 months. Jeepy crossovers are right out

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 18, 2021

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

To me it sounds like you are squarely in the mainstream "compact" CUV market. Toyota RAV-4, Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5, or Subaru Forester.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

If you want to haul bikes, putting a Curt hitch receiver on a subaru crosstrek is super easy - I did it with a minimum of tools in like an hour. The Kuat NV can fit 2 bikes and you can still open the hatch with the rack on the car in the folded up position.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Guinness posted:

To me it sounds like you are squarely in the mainstream "compact" CUV market. Toyota RAV-4, Honda CRV, Mazda CX-5, or Subaru Forester.
That's what I seem to be settling on in initial research. Is there anything to keep in the back of my mind shopping for these or I can really just find the best intersection of deal vs testride features?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

zedprime posted:

That's what I seem to be settling on in initial research. Is there anything to keep in the back of my mind shopping for these or I can really just find the best intersection of deal vs testride features?

It's hard to go very wrong with any of them, so it's largely going to be up to what your preferences are and what you value. They all span from like the low 20s to high 30s depending on trim and drivetrain package. Test 'em out and go with the one you like best.

Really briefly though:
RAV4 - good cargo space, typical Toyota practicality, not very lux, has a good hybrid option for best-in-class efficiency
CX-5 - turbo option makes it most powerful and fun in segment, sacrifices some cargo space, most lux interior in upper trims, best looks (subjective)
Forester - best AWD system if you actually need it, but boo CVT
CRV - imo just a worse RAV4 with a CVT but its still popular

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

FWIW the CRV’s interior is a but nicer than the Rav4 (at least on lower trim levels)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Motronic posted:

What I'm attempting to explain is that "transunion" and "equifax" are not a credit score. They are not even just two different credit scores.

If you're looking at, say CreditKarma or the like you're getting a model called VantageScore. Nobody uses that except for those sites. There's a FICO-<number> series of scores. One might be used for mortgages, one or more for credit cards, one for auto loans. Then there are products outside of FICO made for the same.

What this comes down to is that you really don't know what likely proprietary model they are using, and others offering the same class of loan product may be using a different but likely similar model. This matters in your situation because it informs you that saying "I have an 800 credit score" is meaningless to them, and that you should shop around even if you get rejections because not everyone uses the same system or has the same criteria for the score you need.

well i just went to a toyota dealer yesterday and they approved me for the 0% apr financing, so looks like the credit karma scores weren't off base

so a few things i learned from my experience yesterday:

- the outside of the corolla is large, but the interior is pretty small wtf? it's the exact opposite situation of my sentra
- this was the first car i've driven in the past 8 years that wasn't my own
- now i know what you guys mean when you talk about 'fun to drive' cars. i've complained about my sentra, but compared to it, the corolla drives like a friggin tank. it's not too awful, and the breaks seem pretty sensitive, but it's certainly less fun to drive for sure.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Get a Civic or Mazda3 my dude

Pretty much everything in the compact segment will probably feel a little more cramped than your old Sentra due to all the extra safety stuff that newer cars have. Maybe except for the Jetta, but you probably don’t want a Jetta.

E: if you’re dead set on a Toyota, check out the Corolla hatchback as well. It’s on a different platform than the regular Corolla and is supposed to be a bit more engaging to drive.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 22, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I drove a lot of entry compacts this summer, and completely agree with your feeling. Corolla, Elantra, and Mazda3s felt weirdly small inside (especially with a sunroof in play), Sentra and Jetta feel much bigger inside, even though I think all their dimensions are within a couple cm of each other.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There's a lot of interior packaging stuff (fancy way of saying what goes where) that contribute substantially to how the cabin feels, even for similar vehicles. I think Volkswagen is particularly good at packaging well for interior space - the cabins tend to feel relatively airy and open compared to competitor vehicles, but as posted by others it's not necessarily a reason to buy a VW.

One major difference in modern cars vs the old Sentra Mr Interweb is driving is the greenhouse or total glass. Modern cars have high belt lines (basically where the top of the door ends and the door glass begins) due to side impact safety standards. This means they feel smaller even if the interior is actually bigger.

For a more engaging drive, the Mazda3 is probably best in segment. Civic is totally decent too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Dude should at least try a Golf if "fun to drive" is anywhere on the radar.