Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Oldest Man posted:

Mayorkas extolled the heroism and nobility of the border patrol multiple times in the last week so I think if you're hoping the journalism lockout is for a good reason, you might want to check that optimism against the fact that he's carrying water for a fascist paramilitary in his Congressional testimony right now.

Where do you get the idea I thought it was for a good reason?

I said it was purely CYA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Willa Rogers posted:

Yes; it's an obvious attempt to control the narratives around the internment camps now that bad news is leaking out & outlets like the AP are covering the story in depth.

Gag orders are bad, no matter which party is in power.

eta: "the need for a unified message" as a rationale for censorship is sickening to me.

Absolutely. Have brutal, rebellious border and immigration agents? Don't gag them--fire them, dissolve their organizations, and prosecute them.

That so many American law enforcement agents are essentially operating in the open as right wing militias now is, uh, not great.

Some border/immigrant/civil rights orgs that I follow are looking for at least a 50% reduction in CBP and ICE's budgets for FY22. I'd imagine that there's no shot of that, but has anyone heard differently?

e: lol at this red text.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 18, 2021

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Willa Rogers posted:

According to the AP story the other day, some of the minors being interned crossed the border with adult relatives, the latter of whom were deported.

One of those minors is the traumatized & nonverbal 4 yr old who was sent to stranger-fosters in MI even though she had parents living in MD, and the 4 yr old came over in the care of her aunt, who was immediately deported.

So yeah: It's not as easy-peasy-mellow-breezy as NPR makes it out to be, or as internment apologists want it to be.

I dunno that NPR was trying to make it out as a simple situation. They did mention several times that the border is still closed to adults even though they're allowing all unaccompanied minors through, which seems like it's destined to cause bad outcomes like you're describing.

I'm reminded we had some discussion about children in camps a few weeks ago and I think I posted I was hoping it would improve by April? Certainly doesn't look like it will

Biden admin will need to muster a massive emergency effort to improve facilities and staffing at the border coupled with immigration reform by Congress to get this from "horrifying crisis" to something approaching a humane and sane system.

Of course, the crisis has been decades in the making and is only going to get worse with climate change etc. Unfortunately I'm not terribly optimistic we'll get our act together even if the Biden admin pushes like they should, there are a lot of moving parts half of which are busted and some of which are Nazis. It's not an immediate personal concern to many Americans like COVID and economic relief are. The border is down there, a long ways away...

(and yes, limiting journalist access helps keep the bad poo poo out of sight and out of mind)

Willa Rogers posted:

Did the NPR story touch upon or delve into how U.S. destabilization policies in Latin America, such as Honduras, have led to the migrations to the U.S.?

Some, yes, and I'm aware the US is a cause of a lot of the instability and violence in Latin America though it's not something I've followed closely enough to be familiar with the histories in each country.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 17, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Where do you get the idea I thought it was for a good reason?

I said it was purely CYA.

I was aiming that at others who are treating the behavior by Biden's DHS as good faith efforts by adding that the DHS Sec is out in front of congress talking about what heroes and humanitarians CBP/Border Patrol are, which should throw a bucket of cold water on the idea that he's doing anything in good faith.

E: oh yeah his main point in his congressional testimony is that CBP needs more money. This is Biden's DHS Sec, asking for more money for Nazi paramilitaries because of the humanitarian nightmare they've created on the border.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jaxyon posted:

My take is that Biden doesn't want journalists in there because it's Real Bad.

He may not have specifically created the conditions but he sure hasn't done enough to fix them, nor quickly enough. So pure cover-your-rear end politics.

We can debate whether he actually cares about it but he sure hasn't resolved it.

He could just be transparent about it taking a while to fix just like with COVID or pretty much anything else inherited from Trump. Show us what's wrong, tell us what he's doing to fix it, or what's stopping him from fixing it the way he thinks it should be fixed. Keeping press out is a bad look.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Here's the rest of this segment of his testimony in context in case you hold out hope this guy is not going to keep inflating the size and power of ICE and CBP.

quote:

CONGRESSWOMAN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT QUESTION. I WALKED INTO OFFICE ON FEBRUARY SECOND OF THIS YEAR WITH ALREADY TREMENDOUS PRIDE IN THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY, AND THE MEN AND WOMEN ON THE FRONTLINES. MY PRIDE IS ONLY SWELLED IN THE DAYS SINCE I TOOK OFFICE. I WILL SHARE WITH YOU THAT I WAS ON THE BORDER A FEW WEEKS AGO, AND I SAW THE HEROISM OF THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL. I SAW THEM UNDERTAKE PERSONAL SACRIFICE TO NOT ONLY ENSURE THAT THE BORDER IS SECURE BUT THAT THE NEEDS OF VERY YOUNG CHILDREN ARE TAKEN CARE OF. AND THEY ACCOMPLISH BOTH. I HEARD FROM THEM CONCERNS ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE LEADERSHIP OF THE DEPARTMENT IN THE PAST HAD NOT ADDRESSED THEIR PUBLIC HEALTH AND WELL BEING. I HEARD THAT FROM THEIR REPRESENTATIVES. AND IT IS FOR THAT REASON THAT WE DOUBLE DOWN ON OPERATION VOW, VACCINATE OUR WORK FORCE, AND WE'VE MADE THE TREMENDOUS STRIDES THAT WE HAVE. IT IS WHY I AM PUSHING FOR THE RIGHT SIZING OF OUR WORK FORCE AND THE FUNDING WE NEED TO ACCOMPLISH THAT. I WILL DO EVERYTHING IN MY POWER TO FULLY SUPPORT THE MEN AND WOMEN OF THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY, BECAUSE THEY DO EVERYTHING IN THEIR POWER TO SERVE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE AND TO DO SO NOBLY AND ABLY.

And as a reminder, this rear end in a top hat speaks only for the pointing guns at kids/putting kids in cages agencies under DHS, not for HHS and the theoretical "good" parts of the immigration machinery that touches unaccompanied minors.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He could just be transparent about it taking a while to fix just like with COVID or pretty much anything else inherited from Trump. Show us what's wrong, tell us what he's doing to fix it, or what's stopping him from fixing it the way he thinks it should be fixed. Keeping press out is a bad look.

Biden was in the white house when a whole lot of the broad strokes of current policy were put in place. His administration is actively hostile to anyone outside ice/cbp putting eyes on any of the material conditions they are imposing on these folks. His brand spankin new DHS secretary is asking for more funding for the fascist paramilitary that continues to enforce these policies (and continues to assault and poison protestors in portland to boot). If there is just one cautionary lesson we all should have learned from the Trump years, it's this:

When people tell you who they are, listen.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah I agree. It's lazy and awful.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Here's the 50 minute NPR segment I heard this morning, giving it a relisten. Seems like a very even-handed segment that's both critical of the Biden admin but looks at the border crisis in a broader context.

https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2021/03/17/inside-the-biden-administrations-approach-to-children-at-the-border

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fritz the Horse posted:

What's causing the surge in migration are the problems in the countries of origin, mostly Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala. It's not US policy that's causing more people to come. Until those root causes are addressed we're going to continue to have increasing numbers of refugees and the US immigration system has been geared toward deterrence and punishment rather than accepting refugees and asylum seekers.

Its US policy towards Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala that is causing the surge in migration. The US likes to engage in nation building and dabbling in backing the occasional coup against anyone bad for (US) business, and the resulting chaos and instability has directly led to people abandoning their unsafe homes for better opportunities. Some of them are also the leading edge of climate refugees, the result of yet more US policy failures stretching back decades.

Sure, Trump bad man, but the pressure on Central and South American governments has been a constant in United States politics. Why do you think Obama felt the need to beef up ICE and open the child concentration camps to begin with? Too many families were coming north as the utterly predictable fallout of American imperialism.

Also, as an aside, the 'surge' that Biden is currently dealing with thats forcing all these child concentration camps sounds a whole lot like Trump's 'caravan' storyline that forced all those child concentration camps during his term

Kalit posted:

Moving my post from USPOL to here:

I'm a little concerned, but it could be understandable. The whole no more border ride-alongs is fine, IMO. Trump didn't care about COVID, so I'm not surprised it's changed.

As far as the rest of the media freeze out, I can understand wanting a centralized message. It would be nice to be more transparent about the child detention centers, but it's the early days so I can see them wanting as few distractions as possible. Hopefully it doesn't continue on like that.

FWIW, here's the official response for those who didn't read the full article:

Theyve got a word for when the government wants to freeze out the media to peddle a centralized message that everything is, in fact, just fine and totally awesome: propaganda. The government taking measures to control the media narrative should be an enormous red flag, and its a bit baffling how anyone can be so stupid as to think its a good thing.

Also, whew, what a relief, they're just following protocol from the president who built the concentration camps and didn't want the media touring them. Thats all right then, so long as theres procedure. And, as we all know, it is impossible for the head of the agency, with whom all responsibility resides, to ever change procedure during a crisis of confidence.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Insanite posted:

Absolutely. Have brutal, rebellious border and immigration agents? Don't gag them--fire them, dissolve their organizations, and prosecute them.

That so many American law enforcement agents are essentially operating in the open as right wing militias now is, uh, not great.

Some border/immigrant/civil rights orgs that I follow are looking for at least a 50% reduction in CBP and ICE's budgets for FY22. I'd imagine that there's no shot of that, but has anyone heard differently?

e: lol at this red text.

Much like the Bush torturers or the bankers that crashed the economy and cashed out under Obama, not a single ICE agent is ever going to be held responsible for their actions. 'Holding people responsible' is not really a democrat trait

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Insanite posted:

what --and i mean this sincerely-- makes you think any of this is even possible under our current system? crimes that materially benefit the rich are de facto not crimes.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nix Panicus posted:

Also, whew, what a relief, they're just following protocol from the president who built the concentration camps and didn't want the media touring them. Thats all right then, so long as theres procedure.

I know we are focused on how Biden needs to do better than Trump right now, but Trump didn't build these concentration camps and start putting kids in them. Obama did, under his expanded family detention policies. Trump just made it worse by systematically separating kids from parents rather than doing it by "accident."

quote:

The Obama administration initially slowed family detentions, using only a single family detention center in Berks County, Pennsylvania. In 2014, however, three more facilities at Karnes, Texas; Dilley, Texas; and Artesia, New Mexico, were opened to deter asylum-seekers from seeking refuge in the United States. (Asylum-seekers waiting a final decision and not kept in detention are often paroled into the United States to await asylum hearings.) The Artesia facility was so criticized that it was shut down in less than a year. The facilities at Berks, Karnes, and Dilley are still in use by the Trump administration.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/trump-child-immigrant-detention-no-toothpaste-obama.html

Read this sentence for exactly what the gently caress it is:

Obama built more concentration camps to deter asylum seekers.

quote:

"The photograph you're referring to was a facility in Arizona — I recognize the photograph because Gov. Brewer was with me — and it was during the spike ... and we had a lot of unaccompanied kids, we had a lot of family units. And under the law, once they're apprehended by the border patrol, within 72 hours, we have to transfer unaccompanied children to (the Department of Health and Human Services). And HHS then puts them in a shelter, and they find placement for them somewhere in the United States." Johnson explained.

He said the construction of the 72-hour holding facilities was prompted by a sudden influx of migrants.

Local NBC affiliate KVEQ reported on the conversion of a McAllen, Texas, warehouse into a holding facility for up to 1,000 migrant children in 2014.

"You can't just dump 7-year-old kids on the streets of McAllen or El Paso. And so, these facilities were erected ... they put those chain-link partitions up so you could segregate young women from young men, kids from adults, until they were either released or transferred to HHS. Was it ideal? Of course not," Johnson said.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/08/26/fact-check-obama-administration-built-migrant-cages-meme-true/3413683001/

Ah "we're doing the best we can and the best we can do is concentration camps." It never tires, does it?

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 18, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what --and i mean this sincerely-- makes you think any of this is even possible under our current system? crimes that materially benefit the rich are de facto not crimes.

Where did I say these things were possible?

They should be. They're not.

No one will have to answer for any of this.

e: Again, for all of the outrage over forced sterilization, kids in cages, racist cruelty, etc., apparently changing the management is enough to silence a lot of people who 'cared' about this stuff a year ago.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 18, 2021

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Insanite posted:

Where did I say these things were possible?

They should be. They're not.

No one will have to answer for any of this.

I misunderstood then!

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

I know we are focused on how Biden needs to do better than Trump right now, but Trump didn't build these concentration camps and start putting kids in them. Obama did, under his expanded family detention policies. Trump just made it worse by systematically separating kids from parents rather than doing it by "accident."

Read this sentence for exactly what the gently caress it is:

Obama built more concentration camps to deter asylum seekers.

Ah "we're doing the best we can and the best we can do is concentration camps." It never tires, does it?

I'm again gonna plug this 25m, transcripted Intercept podcast about this very thing: https://theintercept.com/2021/02/17/intercepted-podcast-democrats-immigrants-border/

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I misunderstood then!

No harm, no foul.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Insanite posted:

e: Again, for all of the outrage over forced sterilization,

*Also started under Obama :shepface:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

*Also started under Obama :shepface:

Remember how everyone was incandescently furious about that for like a week until it came out that doc was hired under Obama despite having some really lovely record previously and that the complaints started before Trump even took office, and then suddenly the story just completely vanished, and if anyone did remember it then it wasn't even really that bad to begin with?

Just wild poo poo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Nix Panicus posted:

Remember how everyone was incandescently furious about that for like a week until it came out that doc was hired under Obama despite having some really lovely record previously and that the complaints started before Trump even took office, and then suddenly the story just completely vanished, and if anyone did remember it then it wasn't even really that bad to begin with?

Just wild poo poo

I also remember when Obama press flacks said that it was important to hold people accountable (by putting them in camps) because there was like a 5% rate of people skipping their immigration court dates if CBP simply let them walk into the country, and they didn't want to ~look soft~. Dems' purported fear of Republicans being meanies in campaign ads has been the reason for as many crimes against humanity as Republicans' absolute pitch-dark evil has. Literally built the concentration camps and put kids in cages to try to convince the mean people not to put some shocking immigrant crime story poo poo in a campaign ad. Which they did anyway.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nix Panicus posted:

Just wild poo poo

that really was the perfect example of how the dems view immigration issues. When it looked like Trump did it it was (correctly) called a vile act of pure cruelty that evoked images of other horrific programs that involved using minorities as glorified medical test dummies. When it came out the guy started under Obama it was 'huh? Never heard of it before'.

That's why these people can so seamlessly shift from taking faux sobbing photo ops outside camps to going 'guys the guys raping kids have been told to knock it off, we did it', the people in the camps aren't human to them they're just physical manifestations of a political argument.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
One part of the bottleneck in placing unaccompanied minors with family is that the Trump admin authorized sharing of information between HHS and DHS, so undocumented family members that agreed to accept children were at risk of being deported by DHS (and some were). This was a deterrent for sponsors to accept children. Biden admin recently revoked that and HHS can't share that information, so sponsors should no longer risk deportation for accepting placements, but it's going to take a while for that message to reach families.

Melissa Adamson, attorney with the National Center for Youth Law, involved in enforcing Flores settlement:

quote:

"The majority of children in federal immigration custody, that is in these ORR licensed shelters that are waiting to be released to sponsors. The majority of them have family members here in the United States that they could be released to. And so a big part of the government's legal obligation to these children is to make continuous efforts at trying to identify a sponsor for a child, to reach out to them, to walk them through the application process, to vet that sponsor and then to approve the release of the child to that person.

"And that process is a legal obligation by the government. And that's kind of what is serving as a bottleneck to the system right now, in a certain sense, that this processing takes some time. And we think the Biden administration is making a lot of good moves to try to speed up that processing so that children can still be released, but much faster and in a safe way.

"To your point about sponsors unwillingness to come forward due to fear, a large part of that is, you know, in 2018, the Trump administration implemented a memorandum of understanding between the Department of Homeland Security and Health and Human Services. And what that did was it shared information between those two agencies. And so sponsors knew that if they came forward to take a child out of custody, their information would be shared with homeland security.

"And as a result, we know that at least 170 sponsors that came forward to take care of a child were deported or detained solely because the government had their information. Now, the Biden administration just a couple of days ago rescinded that memorandum. And so they're no longer doing that information-sharing that had a chilling effect on sponsors' willingness to come forward. And that's great. But that's going to take some time for that message to permeate the communities that could potentially take care of these children."

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Fritz the Horse posted:

One part of the bottleneck in placing unaccompanied minors with family is that the Trump admin authorized sharing of information between HHS and DHS, so undocumented family members that agreed to accept children were at risk of being deported by DHS (and some were). This was a deterrent for sponsors to accept children. Biden admin recently revoked that and HHS can't share that information, so sponsors should no longer risk deportation for accepting placements, but it's going to take a while for that message to reach families.

Sigh. That's horrifying in a procedural way, like that there's this many inbuilt causes for prolonged misery that are hard to fight.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Kavros posted:

Sigh. That's horrifying in a procedural way, like that there's this many inbuilt causes for prolonged misery that are hard to fight.

Yep. There's a lot of moving parts, including willingness of families to accept children for fear of being deported.

US immigration and refugee programs just don't currently have the capacity to responsibly, quickly place children and both of those things are important. Right now we're unable to place children quickly enough and have run out of space to adequately house them. Partly that's because of deliberate Trump admin cruelty in sabotaging the (already bad) system but mostly it's decades of deterrence-based immigration policy leaving us poorly equipped to handle this as the humanitarian crisis it is.

edit: my impression from that segment is that the Biden admin is taking a lot of good steps to get things more functional, but they should have foreseen this better and focused more effort on addressing the border crisis. The interviewer and guests express both frustration and some optimism at the progress being made.

The conditions the children are being held in are prison-like and unacceptable. Mobilizing FEMA is good because they have experience in rapid-response construction of shelters.

I agree with the poster earlier who said Biden should have a frank talk with the nation about how ugly the situation is like he did with the pandemic, let journalists in. It's bad but we need to be transparent about the situation and make sure national attention and effort are directed there.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 18, 2021

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Biden's sticking to a policy that flew in earlier admins: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/18/world/americas/biden-mexico-migration.html

quote:

MEXICO CITY — The Biden administration has been quietly pressing Mexico to curb the stream of migrants coming to the United States, urging it to take in more families being expelled by American authorities and to step up enforcement at its southern border with Guatemala, according to Mexican officials and others briefed on the discussions.

President Biden has moved quickly to dismantle some of former President Trump’s signature immigration policies, halting construction of a border wall, stopping the swift expulsion of children at the border and proposing a pathway to citizenship for millions of immigrants in the United States.

But he is clinging to a central element of Mr. Trump’s agenda: relying on Mexico to restrain a wave of people making their way to the United States.

As discussed in the Intercepted podcast ep I shared, US border policy leans heavily on stopping people before they can actually get to our border. Cleaner, that way!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Oh yeah they're still trying to coerce Mexico into doing our dirty work for us just like Trump did. Biden's using a new tool to do that, though.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1372581854147121152?s=19

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Oldest Man posted:

Oh yeah they're still trying to coerce Mexico into doing our dirty work for us just like Trump did. Biden's using a new tool to do that, though.

https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1372581854147121152?s=19

holy poo poo that's Israel level evil, cool!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Wait, we have surplus vaccines to give?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

Only if you're useful to us, I guess... It doesn't sound very good to me but hey, they've assured us it's definitely not a quid pro quo!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lib and let die posted:

Yes you've been sitting on millions of Oxford/AZ doses while the FDA makes up their mind if it's okay. Canada and Mexico have approved that vaccine, it makes no sense to let the stockpiles sit around when they could be saving lives as we speak.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lib and let die posted:

actually yes, the Astro Zenica (may have botched that spelling) vaccine has been approved in Mexico and we have buckets of it but it's not kosher here yet for some reason so I imagine that's where we're getting the strongarm fuel from.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
The AstraZeneca (ChAdOx1) vaccine may not be very effective against the South African and Brazilian variants of SARS-CoV-2 and its use has been paused in some European countries since bad clotting appears to be an uncommon but serious side effect.

It's a fair bit "worse" than the Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J vaccines currently approved in the US.

You could reasonably call it a second-rate vaccine but hey if Mexico wants it, better than it sitting unused in the US.

Bit of a Bad Look though.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Fritz the Horse posted:

its use has been paused in some European countries since bad clotting appears to be an uncommon but serious side effect.

This part might have been cleared up already? At least that's what EU regulators have declared: https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/18/europe/ema-astrazeneca-vaccine-blood-clots-decision-intl/index.html

quote:

The European Union's medicines regulator has concluded that the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine is safe to use after several EU countries suspended their rollouts following reports that it could be linked to blood clots.

The European Medicines Agency (EMA)'s executive director Emer Cooke said the agency had "come to a clear scientific conclusion: this is a safe and effective vaccine."

Cooke said the group did not find that the vaccine causes clotting, though it could not rule out definitively a link to a rare blood clotting disorder, of which seven cases have been reported out of several million doses given. She said the benefits of using the vaccine outweighed the risk.

The committee "concluded that the vaccine is not associated with an increase in the overall risk of thromboembolic events, or blood clots," Cooke said.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

The AstraZeneca (ChAdOx1) vaccine may not be very effective against the South African and Brazilian variants of SARS-CoV-2 and its use has been paused in some European countries since bad clotting appears to be an uncommon but serious side effect.

It's a fair bit "worse" than the Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J vaccines currently approved in the US.

You could reasonably call it a second-rate vaccine but hey if Mexico wants it, better than it sitting unused in the US.

Bit of a Bad Look though.

Yeah, it may not be the best vaccine statistically, but it's still way better looking than covid, and we should really not be hoarding it just to let it go to waste, it needs to get shot into arms, and if we don't wanna use it, we should share. This deal isn't finalized or anything so I can't comment too specifically yet but the optics of combining border control issues with vaccine distribution in this way looks horrendous to me.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Kalit posted:

This part might have been cleared up already? At least that's what EU regulators have declared: https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/18/europe/ema-astrazeneca-vaccine-blood-clots-decision-intl/index.html

cross-posting from the COVID thread:

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/KyGv2G/professor-says-cause-of-astrazeneca-side-effects-has-been-found

Norway at least thinks it's found a link between the AZ vaccine and clotting.

Mischievous Mink posted:

Yeah, it may not be the best vaccine statistically, but it's still way better looking than covid, and we should really not be hoarding it just to let it go to waste, it needs to get shot into arms, and if we don't wanna use it, we should share. This deal isn't finalized or anything so I can't comment too specifically yet but the optics of combining border control issues with vaccine distribution in this way looks horrendous to me.

Right, Mexico is having a rough time with the pandemic and if they're not going to be used here they ought to be shared.

Having Mexico help with border control is... fine, I guess. As long as it's part of a much broader and multi-faceted strategy on immigration and amnest/refugee process which seems to be the plan.

An actual quid pro quo would be very gross, yes.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Fritz the Horse posted:

cross-posting from the COVID thread:

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/i/KyGv2G/professor-says-cause-of-astrazeneca-side-effects-has-been-found

Norway at least thinks it's found a link between the AZ vaccine and clotting.

Interesting, I should probably follow that thread more. Thanks for posting this!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

Having Mexico help with border control is... fine, I guess. As long as it's part of a much broader and multi-faceted strategy on immigration and amnest/refugee process which seems to be the plan.

An actual quid pro quo would be very gross, yes.

Can you tell me how "a much broader and multi-faceted strategy on immigration and amnesty/refugee process" which amounts to them providing carte blanche for US paramilitaries to operate in their country as well as Mexican security forces suppressing migrant movement toward the US border on our behalf so that our own security forces don't need to get their hands dirty in exchange for billions in military and other forms of aid excuses the specific form of a deal that involves vaccine transfers and promises of a security crackdown at the same time? Coincidence?

Is this, the Mexican government promising to the US that they will continue to hold minors in contravention of a law their own legislature passed, just coincidentally timed?

quote:

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas hinted at possible help from Mexico in a statement issued Tuesday. “We are working with Mexico to increase its capacity to receive expelled families,” he said, without going into detail, while warning the United States is “on pace to encounter more individuals on the southwest border than we have in the last 20 years.”

Mexican officials have told the Biden administration they are willing to alter or delay the implementation of a law passed in November that limits their ability to detain minors.

At what point is this unacceptable to you? A contract signed by Presidents Biden and Obrador that specifies a quantity of vaccines per migrant detention?

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

The Oldest Man posted:

Can you tell me how "a much broader and multi-faceted strategy on immigration and amnesty/refugee process" which amounts to them providing carte blanche for US paramilitaries to operate in their country as well as Mexican security forces suppressing migrant movement toward the US border on our behalf so that our own security forces don't need to get their hands dirty in exchange for billions in military and other forms of aid excuses the specific form of a deal that involves vaccine transfers and promises of a security crackdown at the same time? Coincidence?

Is this, the Mexican government promising to the US that they will continue to hold minors in contravention of a law their own legislature passed, just coincidentally timed?

At what point is this unacceptable to you? A contract signed by Presidents Biden and Obrador that specifies a quantity of vaccines per migrant detention?

I don't have a WaPo subscription to read the full article you linked and I'm not finding much regarding the details you're referencing while googling around. Could you please give me a link or two to read up on what you're talking about?

Regarding your Mayorkas quote above, Mexico increasing capacity to receive expelled families seems like a "lesser evil" option since the number of immigrants and refugees legally allowed into the US is capped and until we get comprehensive reform with the help of Congress there are going to be families turned back at the border. It's evil and wrong that we don't have a system that can meet the challenge of the humanitarian crises bringing people to the border but until we overhaul the system families are going to get expelled, yeah. I was doing some reading on refugee law, this seems like another good reference for immigration law stuff:

https://immigrantjustice.org/issues/asylum-seekers-refugees

for example

quote:

A Timeline Of The Trump Administration’s Efforts To End Asylum
December 2020
Trump administration unleashes torrent of final regulations targeting asylum seekers (Pangea Legal Servs. v. DHS; Immigration Equality v. DHS; Human Rights First v. Wolf; Catholic Legal Immigration Network v. EOIR; NIJC v. EOIR)
Far from winding down, the Trump administration released 7 final rules in one week that will have devastating consequences for asylum seekers. These rules (1) send asylum seekers to El Salvador, replicating the agreement with Guatemala that already endangered 1000+ asylum seekers, primarily women and children (see February 2020 for more information); (2) impose a historic fee on asylum applications and 800% fee increase for appeals (see March 2020); (3) overhaul the asylum system and imposing a plethora of new bars on relief (see June 2020); (4) label asylum seekers a “danger to national security” under the pretense of public health (see July 2020); (5) reinstate the “transit ban,” barring asylum seekers who traveled through another country (see July 2020); (6) tamper with access to appellate review (see August 2020); (7) and deny protection to asylum seekers and torture survivors if they fail to apply within two weeks of their first hearing (see September 2020).

Status: All these rules are final, unless enjoined by a federal court. A federal lawsuit seeks an injunction of the historic fees (2) that would thwart access to justice of asylum seekers and noncitizens. Three different lawsuits have already sought to halt the overhaul (3) of asylum rules, leading to a nationwide halt three days before its implementation; meanwhile the transit ban (5) and the agreements that permit offshoring asylum seekers to Central America are subject to ongoing litigation. NIJC filed another federal lawsuit to halt the implementation of a two-week deadline on all asylum applications (7).

Apparently the outgoing Trump admin issued a whole bunch of rules to gently caress up the asylum process that cannot be unilaterally overturned by a Biden executive action but need to be enjoined in court. Or fixed through legislation?

I'd have to read more background on the Mexican law regarding minors. You're working off information I don't have or am unfamiliar with so I can't meaningfully comment.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 18, 2021

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Fritz the Horse posted:

I don't have a WaPo subscription to read the full article you linked and I'm not finding much regarding the details you're referencing while googling around. Could you please give me a link or two to read up on what you're talking about?

I'm not going to address your other points right now since it seems like they come from low information. Start here:

https://www.propublica.org/article/allende-zetas-cartel-massacre-and-the-us-dea
https://www.propublica.org/article/who-holds-the-dea-accountable-when-its-missions-cost-lives
https://www.propublica.org/article/top-lawmakers-call-for-investigation-of-dea-led-unit-in-mexico
https://insightcrime.org/news/us-trained-police-mexico-migrant-massacre/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/mexico-security-law-dea-agents-us
http://archive.oah.org/special-issues/mexico/mtoro.html

The short version of all this is that US security forces - the DEA particularly, but also others to include military special forces units, have a multi-decade history of operating in many Latin American countries including Mexico under the auspices of diplomatic immunity (or structural or informal equivalents) due to the imperial relationship the US holds over their host countries. Our paramilitaries are able to use force in these countries (or direct local security forces to do so on their behalf - or spark confrontations with locals that indirectly get people killed by the cavalier nature of their actions) and there is literally zero accountability. Most of these incidents are simply hushed up because the dead aren't important people and the local government cares more about maintaining a good relationship with the US (because of things like vaccine allocations but more importantly to them are the billions in security funding) than they do about accountability and justice for their own people.

Here's an example of one of these incidents that happened in Honduras in 2012 that actually got enough attention warrant a US DOJ OIG report.

quote:

In the May 11 incident, three U.S. and Honduran law enforcement officers aboard a disabled canoe-like
boat carrying large amounts of seized cocaine directed gunfire towards a larger passenger boat. This was
followed by additional gunfire from a helicopter carrying U.S. and Honduran law enforcement officers.
Four people from the passenger boat were killed, and four were injured. The incident received substantial
public attention, and engendered concern among Justice Department leadership and Members of
Congress, after reports surfaced that the killed and injured individuals were innocent civilians, and that
officers had abused residents in a nearby village.

As described in today’s report, the DOJ Office of the Inspector General (DOJ OIG) found that DEA’s
insistence to Justice Department leadership and to Congress that there had been an exchange of gunfire
between Honduran officers and individuals in the passenger boat was unsupported by the available
evidence. Not only did the DOJ OIG find no credible evidence that individuals in the passenger boat fired
first, but the available evidence, which was available to DEA at the time, places into serious question
whether there was any gunfire from the passenger boat at any time.
https://oig.justice.gov/press/2017/2017-05-24.pdf

DEA agents opened fire on a boat full of random people and murdered four of them. Then their superiors lied to the DOJ OIG and Congress about it. Guess what happened next, after five years and multiple investigations.

quote:

On May 24, 2017, a "critical report" by the inspectors general for the Justice and State departments on the three incidents was released, saying "officers and agency officials misrepresented facts on their use of deadly force, follow up investigations were flawed and U.S. officials misled Congress about what happened".[4] However, the report also concluded that there was no evidentiary basis to charge any of the agents, nor did any of the agents involved on the ground lie to or mislead investigators.

The point is, the US-Mexico relationship is not a peer relationship. Mexico is the modern equivalent of a suzerainty by virtue of our economic and military power over them, and their government knows it. So when some American PR flack comes out at a presser and smugly asserts that they just happened to agree on releasing more vaccines to Mexico the same week that the Mexican government assured the US that they would defer or "alter" a just-passed law that interferes with their ability to execute the US's imperial dictates to them to crack down on and imprison migrants on our behalf, the idea that they're unrelated to each other is loving laughable.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm not going to address your other points right now since it seems like they come from low information. Start here:

https://www.propublica.org/article/allende-zetas-cartel-massacre-and-the-us-dea
https://www.propublica.org/article/who-holds-the-dea-accountable-when-its-missions-cost-lives
https://www.propublica.org/article/top-lawmakers-call-for-investigation-of-dea-led-unit-in-mexico
https://insightcrime.org/news/us-trained-police-mexico-migrant-massacre/
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/mexico-security-law-dea-agents-us
http://archive.oah.org/special-issues/mexico/mtoro.html

The short version of all this is that US security forces - the DEA particularly, but also others to include military special forces units, have a multi-decade history of operating in many Latin American countries including Mexico under the auspices of diplomatic immunity (or structural or informal equivalents) due to the imperial relationship the US holds over their host countries. Our paramilitaries are able to use force in these countries (or direct local security forces to do so on their behalf - or spark confrontations with locals that indirectly get people killed by the cavalier nature of their actions) and there is literally zero accountability. Most of these incidents are simply hushed up because the dead aren't important people and the local government cares more about maintaining a good relationship with the US (because of things like vaccine allocations but more importantly to them are the billions in security funding) than they do about accountability and justice for their own people.

Here's an example of one of these incidents that happened in Honduras in 2012 that actually got enough attention warrant a US DOJ OIG report.

DEA agents opened fire on a boat full of random people and murdered four of them. Then their superiors lied to the DOJ OIG and Congress about it. Guess what happened next, after five years and multiple investigations.

The point is, the US-Mexico relationship is not a peer relationship. Mexico is the modern equivalent of a suzerainty by virtue of our economic and military power over them, and their government knows it. So when some American PR flack comes out at a presser and smugly asserts that they just happened to agree on releasing more vaccines to Mexico the same week that the Mexican government assured the US that they would defer or "alter" a just-passed law that interferes with their ability to execute the US's imperial dictates to them to crack down on and imprison migrants on our behalf, the idea that they're unrelated to each other is loving laughable.

Thank you, I'll make my way through at least some of this and circle back sometime this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

quote:

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (Reuters) - The United States is expelling migrants to Mexico far from where they are caught crossing the border, according to Reuters witnesses, in a move that circumvents the refusal of authorities in the Mexican state of Tamaulipas who stopped accepting the return of migrant families with younger children.

A Reuters photographer saw planes landing in El Paso this week that were loaded with dozens of migrant families with young children, including babies in diapers, and then saw the same families crossing the international bridge.

Some passengers interviewed by Reuters once they crossed into Mexico said they had been awakened in their holding cells at night by border agents and not told where they were going as they were loaded on buses and taken to the airport.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-immigration-mexico-idUSKBN2BB2HI

Broke: letting immigrant families into the country and giving them a court date (or don't! just let them the hell in, our apparatus to expel them is one thousand times more dangerous to us than immigrants are)
Woke: Forcing them back over the border
Bespoke: Putting them on planes in the middle of the night and flying them to another part of the border to force them back over