Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We have the perfect crofty replacement already though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB7y-4KV2ug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carrier
May 12, 2009

they should get sam collins to do more f1 stuff, maybe all of the stuff, in fact

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

I like it in on Martin's grid walk where celebrities will try to get away from him whilst trying not to look like total assholes on live TV.

I like when he walked up to AMD's American CEO and asked her if she spoke English

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm going to repeat my joke from the discord and say that Prince Salman is a coward for not running the Saudi Grand Prix as a 170km AVUS at Neom

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gmaz posted:

https://www.racefans.net/2021/03/18/f1-reveals-fastest-ever-street-track-for-saudi-arabian-grand-prix-jeddah/

There will be a Saudi Arabian grand prix this year?? The gently caress is this poo poo, I thought gulf monarchies were Bernies thing?
The circuit somehow has no rights.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

Jolyon Palmer is a nice man who does well in the commentary box and he and Alex Brundle should get a shot at commentating.

/

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

your friend wicka posted:

I like when he walked up to AMD's American CEO and asked her if she spoke English

A close second to Venus Williams just telling him to buzz off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Azza Bamboo posted:

Just make the footage and tracking available so that anyone can do their own commentary, giving the audience their pick of favourite commentator, real or virtual.

It would be so easy when every way of delivering the channel is digital to just offer alternate audio streams. BBC used to mess around with it by letting you pick the TV commentary team (think it was Legard and Brundle at the time as they moved everybody from ITV), the Five Live commentary, and would have CBBC commentary on some of the rounds.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Thanks Ants posted:

It would be so easy when every way of delivering the channel is digital to just offer alternate audio streams. BBC used to mess around with it by letting you pick the TV commentary team (think it was Legard and Brundle at the time as they moved everybody from ITV), the Five Live commentary, and would have CBBC commentary on some of the rounds.

I remember the CBBC commentary, I think it was during one of the years that McClaren were dog poo poo and they played a special jingle the first time they managed to lead a lap of a race, 6 or so races into the season :allears:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

give it back :(

e: actually no, give back

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 18, 2021

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Carrier posted:

they should get sam collins to do more f1 stuff, maybe all of the stuff, in fact

He's been killer on the Tech Talk show. He also has commentating experience from when he would handle Super GT on youtube as well.
Karun would be a great full time commentator as well probably. When they had him and Jenson on together during some of the practices last year they had a good time.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I know it's been said here before, but the pit lane channel on F1TV (with Brundle Jr.) is vastly superior to the global feed both in terms of commentary quality and just having three video feeds simultaneously.

Also, F1TV works pretty drat good these days on the technical side. I had no issues during the last season.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I would like to have a way to watch F1 that doesn't cost £34 per month but I guess this will be another year of hunting for streams

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Thanks Ants posted:

I would like to have a way to watch F1 that doesn't cost £34 per month but I guess this will be another year of hunting for streams

loving lmao is that what it actually works out to?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sign up to now TV and get the first week of sky sports free, then when you cancel they bombard you with offers. I’m paying £25 a month for sky sports this way and there is no contract.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sky have the rights in the UK, they insist on bundling F1 with all the other sports channels, the cheapest way to get that is a NowTV subscription for the online streaming, which is just as delayed as :filez:

If I wanted to watch on satellite TV it would be £47

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

https://ultimatetvservice.com/products/9-months-of-service-for-2-devices-3-months-free

Get you an Amazon fire stick and enjoy not paying Murdoch a penny. Works great even on my absolute dogshit rural 20mb :airquote:fibre:airquote:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yup, they make you have the basic package before you are even allowed to pay for sports, I will forever remain pissed off that I switched to satellite from now because there was no catch up on now back then and there is now. Also when I signed up they advertised it using WWE wrestlers and then lost it to BT sport about 2 months later.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Are ya'll saying in the UK you can't just pay $9 a month for F1TV like we can here in the glorious US of A, because that's loving hilarious.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There are many reasons why I will hear no defence of Bernie Ecclestone. Switching broadcast rights to sky for infinity years just before he sold up is one

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ITV invented the coverage of a race weekend that wasn't just starting a show five minutes before lights out (at least for UK viewers), the BBC built on that with all the online resources they had, and then as soon as the sport was getting more popular it was decided to have a bidding war over the rights. I'd prefer ITV and ad breaks than what we have now.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 18, 2021

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

it must be possible to vpn past the location restrictions at this point? $10 + vpn costs isn't unreasonable

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've not tried that yet but I'll have a look

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

"At this point" many of the :filez: streams are 1080p/50fps/10mbit which is, I'm pretty sure, better than the web streaming F1TV offer.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Thanks Ants posted:

ITV invented the coverage of a race weekend that wasn't just starting a show five minutes before lights out (at least for UK viewers), the BBC built on that with all the online resources they had, and then as soon as the sport was getting more popular it was decided to have a bidding war over the rights. I'd prefer ITV and ad breaks than what we have now.

Didn't BBC actually end their contract early because they are run by loving idiots?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

learnincurve posted:

Yup, they make you have the basic package before you are even allowed to pay for sports, I will forever remain pissed off that I switched to satellite from now because there was no catch up on now back then and there is now. Also when I signed up they advertised it using WWE wrestlers and then lost it to BT sport about 2 months later.
That was one of the reasons I drifted away from F1 for a while, because gently caress paying Sky a fortune each month for a load of channels I have zero interest in. (Having a child and then going travelling was another.) The only time I've seen Sky's coverage was when they did free access for Monaco one year, and Fake Jake made a spectacularly tasteless joke about Grace Kelly's death while the other presenters just stood there in awkward silence before carrying on as if nothing had happened.

quote:

Didn't BBC actually end their contract early because they are run by loving idiots?
More that the Tories were really banging the "hmm, in this time of economic austerity that we imposed is it really right for the BBC to spend public money on an elite sport, hmmmmmm?" drum, and they were put in the position of keeping F1 (and being hammered by government and the tabloids) or caving in and breaking the contract early (and being hosed over by Bernie's withdrawal clauses).

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 18, 2021

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Khablam posted:

"At this point" many of the :filez: streams are 1080p/50fps/10mbit which is, I'm pretty sure, better than the web streaming F1TV offer.

I think that's the same as the stream on F1TV, I'll check during the first race and report back.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the dazn stream looked better than the broadcast on my paid channels what the hell

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Payndz posted:

More that the Tories were really banging the "hmm, in this time of economic austerity that we imposed is it really right for the BBC to spend public money on an elite sport, hmmmmmm?" drum, and they were put in the position of keeping F1 (and being hammered by government and the tabloids) or caving in and breaking the contract early (and being hosed over by Bernie's withdrawal clauses).

...and getting hammered by tabloids anyway. You can't negotiate with people like that, nobody should try.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Just tried subscribing to f1tv from the UK using a VPN and it worked fine- can't do it via the website because they require a card/address and don't accept paypal but if you login to the f1tv app on your phone via VPN you can use google pay or whatever (with paypal as the payment type) and it has no issues with it. Liberty doing the bare minimum to restrict people giving them their money makes sense

(if this is too :filez: I'll remove it)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Drive to survive season 3 tomorrow lads

Carrier
May 12, 2009

learnincurve posted:

everyone post the bits you are looking forward to most, for me its when max drives into the wall...

no, no, the OTHER time he drove into the wall

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Can't wait to revisit Lewis getting in there again.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

net work error posted:

Can't wait to revisit Lewis getting in there again.

Lights out and away we go

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The Grosjean fireball one is 100% going to have all the money invested in it for the Emmy bid.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

learnincurve posted:

The Grosjean fireball one is 100% going to have all the money invested in it for the Emmy bid.

When I saw the fireball live on the global feed I said to myself "that guy is definitely not gonna survive".

e: I also immediately assumed it was Grosjean based on there being a crash in the back of the field

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Seeing how they show all the youngsters streaming on Twitch during lockdown will be interesting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The George Russell episode is going to be heartbreaking.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Lou Takki posted:

When I saw the fireball live on the global feed I said to myself "that guy is definitely not gonna survive".

e: I also immediately assumed it was Grosjean based on there being a crash in the back of the field

Grosjean at the Tuscan GP: “this is the wurst sing I have ever seen”
Bahrain GP: “hold my fizzy rose water”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Lou Takki posted:

*camera pans to Chris Tucker* he ain't gunna be in Drive 2 Survive 3!