Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Did he reply to himself in his own diary? No dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I would respect Mookie more if he would draw a erect cock.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's possible he has, but it's locked behind the $10 patreon tier so fuuuuuuuck that

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think this is the first time Snout's nutsack is just kinda crappy and not a body horror.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I hate everything about Snout's face in every single one of those panels but for some reason especially the last one.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I'm reminded of the Agony Booth's recap of "The Number 23," in which Jim Carrey's character in the movie discovers a diary where the diarist found and read a novel in which the main character had a fantasy about killing his wife's lover. They used the phrase "multiple layers of nothing happening." Dreaming about sleeping. What the gently caress.

Also, as ever with these traced poses, it's been uncoupled from proper context. That was taken when someone was hanging off a bed or counter and doesn't make sense on flat grass unless he's sleeping on a very specifically inclined hill or something. Why can't Mookie decide whether Snout is circumcised? I swear it changes in every comic where Snout's hog makes an appearance.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Invisible Clergy posted:

I'm reminded of the Agony Booth's recap of "The Number 23," in which Jim Carrey's character in the movie discovers a diary where the diarist found and read a novel in which the main character had a fantasy about killing his wife's lover. They used the phrase "multiple layers of nothing happening." Dreaming about sleeping. What the gently caress.

:psyduck: You are the first person I've seen mention The Agony Booth in a decade, I used to post on that site's forums daily as a teenager.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
You know what, actually, this is a galaxy brain move by Mookie. He can keep doing these zero effort comics forever and slowly chip away at the people only reading to make fun of it, leaving only the most diehard Dominic Deegan fans.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

TheHan posted:

You know what, actually, this is a galaxy brain move by Mookie. He can keep doing these zero effort comics forever and slowly chip away at the people only reading to make fun of it, leaving only the most diehard Dominic Deegan fans.

Then when they've been identified he'll invite them all to his compound, presumably.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"I dreamed about sleeping really well" Simpsons did it.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Kavak posted:

:psyduck: You are the first person I've seen mention The Agony Booth in a decade, I used to post on that site's forums daily as a teenager.

I loved that site. I understand their choice to follow traffic and pivot to video after everyone thought that was the thing to do in the late 2000s and didn't know fb lied about its numbers bla bla and I do miss the old all text recaps of terrible movies like "zoom"and "southland tales," but it looks like their current paid model of video movie reviews like every other site is keeping them afloat so I wish them the best.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Is snout circumcised?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bismuth posted:

Is snout circumcised?

All I know is that Mookie is circuitous.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Bismuth posted:

Is snout circumcised?

I don’t think he’s ever drawn it in enough detail to tell.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Bismuth posted:

Is snout circumcised?

How do you circumsize a thumb?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Bismuth posted:

Is snout circumcised?

Sometimes.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Is that what a wild edge is?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"What's Snout doing to that bed? It'd be pretty rude to leave Arudak's maid with a mongrelman load to get out of those sheets."

"Oh, don't worry, he's just Wild Edging."

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

i am very invested in the sleep quality of this comics' characters, please tell me more about it mookie

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

snout didn't realize his bed was really squeaky when he was fuckin' it and kept everyone up

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Oh god is it going to be that Snout was snoring? Are these the stakes? Really?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Don't talk to me until I've had my covf

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ague Proof posted:

Don't talk to me until I've had my covf

If Mookie makes that loving joke I will report his comic to the FBI.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

At least it's not another alliteration joke. Which is ironic for the legacy strips since if Snout is writing them down they would "work".

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Today's update is hardly unique in this regard, but if a diary is going to be the framing device for Snout's thoughts, then the stuff we se from the diary ought to be restricted to the kinds of things one would write in a diary. Mookie used to be reasonably consistent about this as recently as about six months ago, but like latter-day Garfield strips, he is gradually wearing away the rules. The alleged diary entries now only work as something he's saying writing right at that moment. If that's what Mookie wants, why not just give Snout a slate and chalk on a string or a magic etch-a-sketch? One of his allies is an ink witch and the other a paper wizard. Surely it's within their power to create such a thing. Ah, crap. I think I figured out the next thing Mookie's going to do to continue writing the comic with "no dialogue."

In addition to this, I strongly dislike this one-off instance of anime/manga shorthand with the closely grouped parallel black lines like rain to signify anger/mortification/fear. Not because I have any problem with weeb poo poo, but because when you see this visual shorthand used straight in a panel in a Junji Ito comic when the protagonist sees someone turn into something or humorously in Azumanga Daioh when one of the girls drops her rice ball, you're in a certain mindset ready to receive this visual metaphor. Legacy, despite its roots in z-grade anime, like the original Deegan, does not employ any of these examples of visual shorthand or if it does, it doesn't do so consistently, so when one crops up, it's just really weird. It'd be like if you were reading a Superman comic and Lois said something withering to him, then he had a single, softball sized pearl of sweat materialize on the nape of his neck. It'd be weird as hell and divorced from the normal context you encounter it in, even if you the reader are familiar with the trope, it wouldn't hit the same way.

In short, I hate this comic.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Just have Snout go full Genma Saotome and just pull signs out of nowhere with dialog on it.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Beelzebufo posted:

Oh god is it going to be that Snout was snoring? Are these the stakes? Really?

I think probably because he's a dream wizard or whatever he accidentally stole their sleep, or something. At least if that's what's happening it would advance the plot in some miniscule way.

If it turns out to be unrelated it'd be prime :argh: MOOKIE :argh:

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Invisible Clergy posted:

Today's update is hardly unique in this regard, but if a diary is going to be the framing device for Snout's thoughts, then the stuff we se from the diary ought to be restricted to the kinds of things one would write in a diary. Mookie used to be reasonably consistent about this as recently as about six months ago, but like latter-day Garfield strips, he is gradually wearing away the rules. The alleged diary entries now only work as something he's saying writing right at that moment. If that's what Mookie wants, why not just give Snout a slate and chalk on a string or a magic etch-a-sketch? One of his allies is an ink witch and the other a paper wizard. Surely it's within their power to create such a thing. Ah, crap. I think I figured out the next thing Mookie's going to do to continue writing the comic with "no dialogue."

In addition to this, I strongly dislike this one-off instance of anime/manga shorthand with the closely grouped parallel black lines like rain to signify anger/mortification/fear. Not because I have any problem with weeb poo poo, but because when you see this visual shorthand used straight in a panel in a Junji Ito comic when the protagonist sees someone turn into something or humorously in Azumanga Daioh when one of the girls drops her rice ball, you're in a certain mindset ready to receive this visual metaphor. Legacy, despite its roots in z-grade anime, like the original Deegan, does not employ any of these examples of visual shorthand or if it does, it doesn't do so consistently, so when one crops up, it's just really weird. It'd be like if you were reading a Superman comic and Lois said something withering to him, then he had a single, softball sized pearl of sweat materialize on the nape of his neck. It'd be weird as hell and divorced from the normal context you encounter it in, even if you the reader are familiar with the trope, it wouldn't hit the same way.

In short, I hate this comic.

Or just put it in past tense. Boom, now it's Snout's book that someone else is reading.

Also corpselady kept them up so we can infantize her some more.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I realize this is the kind of comparison that breaks a lovely butterfly on an elaborately ornamented wheel, but I can't help but compare Snout's 'diary' to the text of Gene Wolfe's Soldier of the Mist.

The entire text is written as the diary of a man with antiretrograde amnesia, and the result is a fascinating palimpsest, as the particular elements he's managed to re-read and synthesize on a given day hugely changes how he frames the events of the current situation. There are chapters written by his friends when he doesn't have access to his scroll or is too depressed to record the day's events, and which later influence his understanding of things.

Snout, on the other hand, just has an internal monologue expressed as if he's writing it, rather than a more honest thought bubble.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Joe Slowboat posted:

Snout, on the other hand, just has an internal monologue expressed as if he's writing it, rather than a more honest thought bubble.

Don't give Mookie the excuse.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Kavak posted:

Don't give Mookie the excuse.

It would be better! Stop torturing the diary conceit and let it die!

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

He's literally behind "Garfield."

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

i am very invested in the sleep quality of this comics' characters, please tell me more about it mookie

It is sad that mookies has so little faith in his arty carrying the concept that he put in the diary page
You don't need the diary page

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Going to watch Neverending Story again just to experience the fantasy of a world where the Nothing was defeated instead of becoming the plot to Legacy of Dominic Deegan.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I think the reveal is going to be that Corpsemomwife is putting Old God stuff/necromancy in their dreams, but the funnier answer is that they heard Snout loving the mattress all night.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mookie, having been recently diagnosed with sleep apnea, has given it to corpsemomwife and will dedicate the next sixth months to an arc addressing the condition. It will somehow still all be about Snout.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Good news for Mookie is now that the Snyder cut is out, Legacy is no longer the biggest waste of time ever.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

super sweet best pal posted:

Good news for Mookie is now that the Snyder cut is out, Legacy is no longer the biggest waste of time ever.

All I've heard about it is that it's pretty ok. Overtly long, sure. But miles ahead of what was released in the cinema.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Snyder Cut is a mere four hours long.

I'm not sure how long it would take to read all this up to the present strip, but it's gotta be approaching that already and we're nowhere near halfway done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

if you skim all the bits where nothing happens, it should take about two minutes