Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i just buy anything that interests me like i said the penny that whatever director or whatever might see doesnt really matter to me like if i wanna buy rosemary's baby on blu ray i will who cares if polanski gets another penny hes already a bajillionaire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Anyway, I'm not buying his movies.

https://twitter.com/jamesflowerfilm/status/1372262177562853381?s=20

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I think it's fine to still enjoy films by lovely people as long as you acknowledge the problematic aspects and view them in that context. Others may not feel the same way and that's fine too, do whatever you're comfortable with.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

jesus i remember this dude from the dvdmaniacs forums like 20 years ago

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Anyway when's the next Joe Bob special?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I would've liked Hardware on blu-ray :'(

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

gently caress this clown

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I mean he's kinda right though. Accusation = guilt is kinda how things are now. I HOPE his accuser isn't lying, but it's his word against hers.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just watch Annihilation instead of Colour Out of Space, Stanley lifted most of the story beats from it and it's much better anyways.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spatulater bro! posted:

I mean he's kinda right though. Accusation = guilt is kinda how things are now. I HOPE his accuser isn't lying, but it's his word against hers.

These are detailed, credible allegations from his longtime partner with multiple points where they can and have been verified by others. This is a far more cut-and-dry situation than many other cases, I think.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

I know what you're saying, but using words like "conspiracy" and "hysterical" are not helping his case.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

flashy_mcflash posted:

These are detailed, credible allegations from his longtime partner with multiple points where they can and have been verified by others. This is a far more cut-and-dry situation than many other cases, I think.

I wasn't aware of this. Yeah he's probably a shithead.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

Nah, innocent until proven guilty is a criminal justice concept. Is he being arrested? No? Then it's not relevant.

All that's happened is the pendulum has swung the other way from the days of general public refusing to believe accusers and then forgetting about them ten minutes later. Now accusers are more supported and recognized, and their allegations are taken much more seriously. And that's a good thing. Is it easier for someone to ruin a celebrity's reputation with a false accusation? Sure, I suppose it is. But is it also harder for a serial abuser or racist to sweep their horrible behavior under the rug? It definitely is, and it's a very worthwhile tradeoff.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yeah im with you.

Do I personally believe the victim? Yes.

Do I think he should be instantly "cancelled" without a shred of evidence other than somebodies word? No.

Accusation = guilt is a sad state of affairs for us as humans to be in. Innocent until proven guilty has been the foundation of justice in lots of cultures for a long time.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

Just watch Annihilation instead of Colour Out of Space, Stanley lifted most of the story beats from it and it's much better anyways.

Watch Stalker instead of Annihilation. Watch From Beyond instead of Color Out of Space.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Nah, innocent until proven guilty is a criminal justice concept. Is he being arrested? No? Then it's not relevant.

All that's happened is the pendulum has swung the other way from the days of general public refusing to believe accusers and then forgetting about them ten minutes later. Now accusers are more supported and recognized, and their allegations are taken much more seriously. And that's a good thing. Is it easier for someone to ruin a celebrity's reputation with a false accusation? Sure, I suppose it is. But is it harder for a serial abuser or racist to sweep their horrible behavior under the rug? It definitely is, and it's a very worthwhile tradeoff.

Using this logic I could write a letter to your boss saying you abused me or did X terrible thing and youd lose your livelihood. I dont see how thats a "worthwhile trade off". Would you just say "Well, Im innocent but I guess its okay!". No. Youd be furious.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
It's generally been the case with serial abusers that they're really bad at hiding their behavior and a large portion of their social circle know whats up and just keep quiet. And then one person speaks up and the whole house of cards falls down, and you get the very conventional "it's a conspiracy against me!!!!" defense which is tantamount to a confession.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Basebf555 posted:

I think it's relevant. Sure we're not talking legality, but we're talking about a person's reputation and livelihood. "Guilty" in the public conscience is a damning thing.

Basebf555 posted:

All that's happened is the pendulum has swung the other way from the days of general public refusing to believe accusers and then forgetting about them ten minutes later. Now accusers are more supported and recognized, and their allegations are taken much more seriously. And that's a good thing. Is it easier for someone to ruin a celebrity's reputation with a false accusation? Sure, I suppose it is. But is it also harder for a serial abuser or racist to sweep their horrible behavior under the rug? It definitely is, and it's a very worthwhile tradeoff.

I hear you. I'm just unsure if I agree it's a worthwhile tradeoff. The idea that any person can accuse another person and ruin his life is, well, sorta terrifying.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's not a Yelp! review, most abusers are in a position of power it makes it very difficult for a victim to come forward. Especially since initially they're met with skepticism and victim blaming, as once again is demonstrated here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

flashy_mcflash posted:

gently caress this clown

I have been advised not to make a comment and delete my social media.

In the meantime, here's my comment that I have posted on social media.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

I hear you. I'm just unsure if I agree it's a worthwhile tradeoff. The idea that any person can accuse another person and ruin his life is, well, sorta terrifying.

On the plus side in basebfs worldview all we need to do is accuse Mike Flanagan of doing something bad and he cant make anymore movies.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Iron Crowned posted:

It's not a Yelp! review, most abusers are in a position of power it makes it very difficult for a victim to come forward. Especially since initially they're met with skepticism and victim blaming, as once again is demonstrated here.

Should damning accusations NOT be met with an expectation of evidence? I don't think that's anything remotely close to victim shaming.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Accused parties are still given legal protection and all their assets and for all the consternation about hypothetical false accusations there's been very few actual cases of people being shown to be falsely accused and suffering for it. There's many more cases of people being clearly credibly accused and suffering no consequences at all. Which is why we have so many horrific stories of serial abusers like Weinstein, Cosby, Kelly, Spacey, and more and all have our own personal lists of morally uncomfortable talents and work we're not sure what to do with.

And lets not feed the "cancel culture" narrative. People have been been turning away from performers and businesses they find morally or ethically wrong forever. This is just the latest in a long line of false narratives pushed by people who want to turn "respecting others" and "being accountable for the things you say and do" into something dirty and sinister.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

This is literally inherent with society and judicial systems. There will always be innocents wrongfully accused, and there will always be criminals who go unpunished. It's why the system evolves with reforms and why we have a judicial system in the first place. It's case-by-case, and worrying about the repercussions of someone being wrongfully accused is a sympathetic reaction, but usually not the case. More often rapists and murderers get off because of that. It's not a perfect system at all.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I would rather guilty people go free than innocent people get locked up or have their livelihoods ruined.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

I would rather guilty people go free than innocent people get locked up or have their livelihoods ruined.

Well the former happens all the time and the latter doesn't happen very often, Batman.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

On the plus side in basebfs worldview all we need to do is accuse Mike Flanagan of doing something bad and he cant make anymore movies.

I think this particular accusation carries a lot more weight when it's by someone that has been attached to his hip for decades as both a personal and professional partner and which comes with an incredibly detailed account which contains things like locations and dates where third parties would have seen her with bruises.

I hear the point you're making but this is perhaps not a great case on which to make that point. The nature of abuse is that it typically doesn't leave much visible or verifiable evidence behind, especially days or years after the fact, but this one does. She actually filed charges. She was seen with bruises. If this was a 'conspiracy' it's an incredibly elaborate one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

This is literally inherent with society and judicial systems. There will always be innocents wrongfully accused, and there will always be criminals who go unpunished. It's why the system evolves with reforms and why we have a judicial system in the first place. It's case-by-case, and worrying about the repercussions of someone being wrongfully accused is a sympathetic reaction, but usually not the case. More often rapists and murderers get off because of that. It's not a perfect system at all.

A judicial system literally based on the principle of "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt".

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think this particular accusation carries a lot more weight when it's by someone that has been attached to his hip for decades as both a personal and professional partner and which comes with an incredibly detailed account which contains things like locations and dates where third parties would have seen her with bruises.

I hear the point you're making but this is perhaps not a great case on which to make that point. The nature of abuse is that it typically doesn't leave much visible or verifiable evidence behind, especially days or years after the fact, but this one does. She actually filed charges. She was seen with bruises. If this was a 'conspiracy' it's an incredibly elaborate one.

Im talking about the concept of accusation = guilt in general, not specifically the Stanley case. I believe Stanley's victim. I'd like to see him brought to justice in a court of law.

I dont care if innocent people getting locked up or lives ruined doesn't "happen often". It shouldn't happen at all.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

A judicial system literally based on the principle of "innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt".

Yes. And because of that, a lot of guilty people go free, and a lot of innocent people go free. Nonetheless, if a person is accused of murder or rape (for instance), they are still put in jail or surveillance away from society and their careers because they are a possible threat, until proven otherwise.

Consider Richard Stanley is house arrest where he doesn't get to make movies or have blu-rays printed until his trial.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, its the entire purpose of our legal system. To give the accused a chance to prove themselves innocent. The topic of abuse is such a notable one because for much of human history abusers have been getting away with it because of a system and society that protected them over victims and now abuse victims are being empowered to speak out and be heard. Thats a good thing. Its trying to reach that even ground that was never there. Stanley's accuser is not anonymous. She is not some random person making a random accusation. She'll have to defend it and be scrutinized and probably go on legal record. The whole thing will probably take years and lots of money and hardship and the odds are still in Stanley's favor.

There are unquestionably flaws of the system and people who suffer because of that. Those people are rarely millionaire celebrities.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Yes. And because of that, a lot of guilty people go free, and a lot of innocent people go free. Nonetheless, if a person is accused of murder or rape (for instance), they are still put in jail or surveillance away from society and their careers because they are a possible threat, until proven otherwise.

Consider Richard Stanley is house arrest where he doesn't get to make movies or have blu-rays printed until his trial.

Have you heard of the concept of bail or being released on your own recognizance.

That also only happens if the person is FORMALLY CHARGED WITH A CRIME, not if theyre "suspected" of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Im talking about the concept of accusation = guilt in general, not specifically the Stanley case. I believe Stanley's victim. I'd like to see him brought to justice in a court of law.

I dont care if innocent people getting locked up or lives ruined doesn't "happen often". It shouldn't happen at all.

Okay, well, there is no such thing as a flawless system. So rage until you find your utopia benign of human error, I guess.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Okay, well, there is no such thing as a flawless system. So rage until you find your utopia benign of human error, I guess.

It was actually you who told me "we should strive for perfect systems even if we can never achieve them"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Watch Stalker instead of Annihilation. Watch From Beyond instead of Color Out of Space.

I’ve been wanting to watch Stalker for a while but I wanted to read the book first and just haven’t got around to it yet. It’s weird but I basically stopped reading once the pandemic started, I would have thought the opposite would have happened.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

It was actually you who told me "we should strive for perfect systems even if we can never achieve them"

Yeah. And we should. And I understand saying "There shouldn't be innocents wrongfully accused", and I'm sympathetic to that want, and the worry of being wrongfully accused, but that doesn't blind me to the fact that the systems themselves are still capable of fault. That's why we have judicial reform. The solution isn't to say "Well we shouldn't do the system until we've worked out all the bugs." The solution is make reform easier, follow advancements of science and technology, investigate claims of crooked lawyers or investigations being manipulated, etc.

It's like medicine. Medicine should make people better, but that doesn't eliminate the fact of allergic reactions, immunity to antibodies, immunological deficiencies, etc. I'm not gonna avoid medicine because it's only 98% effective.

The judicial system still is a capitalist venture. Lawyers make money off cases. Criminals are able to pay off judges. DNA evidence is still largely flawed. Human memory is fragile, so eye-witness testimonies aren't perfect. The problems inherent with the judicial system are perpetual, but as you probably learned in law school, it's not as good as it could be, but it's better than a lot of alternatives.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve been wanting to watch Stalker for a while but I wanted to read the book first and just haven’t got around to it yet. It’s weird but I basically stopped reading once the pandemic started, I would have thought the opposite would have happened.

The pandemic has taught me the pleasure of audiobooks. When I couldn't concentrate on reading, I could still put on some headphones and go on a walk or bike ride or play a game while still getting a good story. I just got Roadside Picnic (the Stalker novel) on sale on audible, but haven't listened yet. The film is so wholly unique to what film is capable of, though, that I think you could separate them and enjoy them on their own terms.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

The pandemic has taught me the pleasure of audiobooks. When I couldn't concentrate on reading, I could still put on some headphones and go on a walk or bike ride or play a game while still getting a good story. I just got Roadside Picnic (the Stalker novel) on sale on audible, but haven't listened yet. The film is so wholly unique to what film is capable of, though, that I think you could separate them and enjoy them on their own terms.

I haven’t even had the stomach for audiobooks. I went from reading an actual book before bed and listening to audiobooks on my commute to video games and light podcasts. I think my brains gone mushy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Can I watch Stalker AND Annihilation? And while I'm on a Russian SF kick, both versions of Solaris?

e: Stanislaw Lem is Polish, my bad

I wouldn't be too surprised if Color Out Of Space got yanked from netflix over this.

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

I haven’t even had the stomach for audiobooks. I went from reading an actual book before bed and listening to audiobooks on my commute to video games and light podcasts. I think my brains gone mushy.

I've started this new trend that's working wonders for me, so maybe it'll help you too. I've made 2021 The Year of Short Books to eat up my backlog of books. I'm reading books that are 250 pages or less. Finishing books feels good and gets you quickly to the excitement of picking something new, an author is promising an experience in limited pages, and you get a good amount of variety pretty quickly.

It's not a hard-fast rule. I'm also currently reading Kaufman's Antkind, which is 700+ pages, but I've been reading Pedro Paramo by Juan Rulfo, which is only 125 pages, and I'm already halfway through it in a day or two. I'd highly recommend Pedro Paramo for anyone wanting a ghostly book. It's an enigmatic tale of a man traveling to the town of Comala, Mexico to honor his mother's dying wish for him to confront his father, and finds that the only inhabitants of the town are ghostly apparitions of memories, which loosens his grip on reality. It's spooky, full of magical realism, and it fucks with your perception a bit as it flows into the various stories of the town's memories.

Phy posted:

Can I watch Stalker AND Annihilation? And while I'm on a Russian SF kick, both versions of Solaris?

e: Stanislaw Lem is Polish, my bad

I wouldn't be too surprised if Color Out Of Space got yanked from netflix over this.

Sure. I'm just not as hot on Annihilation as a lot of people were, and everyone that likes it should give Stalker a shot if they haven't before.