Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

I can understand the Battle of Britain being really fun and cool, but the Alamo? Either the holodeck is really sanitizing things or Bashir and O'Brien are stone cold fuckers. Pitched hand to hand fighting in the 1830s is some messy business.

O'Brien is a bit of a shellshocked veteran and has fought in close quarters before including during the Federation-Cardassian war.

Which actually makes this a bit more concerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Sash! posted:

I can understand the Battle of Britain being really fun and cool, but the Alamo? Either the holodeck is really sanitizing things or Bashir and O'Brien are stone cold fuckers. Pitched hand to hand fighting in the 1830s is some messy business.

I'm sure by the 24th century the cultural depiction of the Alamo is as perfectly accurate as our culture's current depiction of the battle of Thermopylae.

Which Bashir also has a hard on for in the last episode.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sir Lemming posted:

You could maybe tally up how many classic episodes are in each and mathematically calculate which is best

The EAS guy already did it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Angry_Ed posted:

O'Brien is a bit of a shellshocked veteran and has fought in close quarters before including during the Federation-Cardassian war.

Which actually makes this a bit more concerning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQedbiQAkXM
^^from the O’Brien family album

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Mayhem and murder all around are probably a comfort to O'Brien. Soft boy Julian doesn't care for violence but he will not miss a chance to steal Keiko's man.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Notice me, Miles-chan. I'm stabbing this fucker right up.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

I love Parallels for it being a Worf story and one of the rare decent season 7 episodes, but hot drat are the RLM guys right in thinking that proof of infinite parallel dimensions kind of ruins the premise of caring about your characters in Trek. Of course Rick & Morty took this premise and ran with it well.

I love how he gave Sillycon Avatar a worse rating than Shades of Gray.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

jeeves posted:

that proof of infinite parallel dimensions kind of ruins the premise of caring about your characters

life woorks the same

cheers, but season 6 best can't be right.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sash! posted:

Judging from that alien hunter from Captive Pursuit, Dax, and (solid?) Odo I assume O'Brien just goes around knocking everyone out with one punch.

Now that you've made me think about this though, unless you're using the holodeck for exercise or actual training like Worf I assume your simulated sword is like a lightsaber and has little resistance or blood. Or you put it in Samurai Film mode and there is still little resistance but now with blood-fountains.

Do they ever mention the Holodeck having parental controls or are all the twelve year olds too enlightened to line up for their turn at the Indentured Vulcan Love Brothel?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like we almost never see kids on the holodeck outside of Alexander

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not the holodeck, but we do get a glimpse at child interfaces in Rascals when Picard asks the school computer a technical question and it basically says "What?"

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
VOY had a whole episode about Naomi running around a forest with her holodeck friend Flubber and his burnt-rear end friend Shitbark.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

John F Bennett posted:

At this point I would rather rewatch ENT than VOY, which I am planning to do after my current TNG run.

Speaking of, I'm about to finish S5 of TNG and man, what a fantastic season that is. It must be the best one so far, what do you guys think? I haven't watched TNG since the 90's so I've forgotten most of it and don't remember how S6+S7 were.

Honestly I feel like VOY has good Star Trek episodes, even if they're incredibly rare.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Treevis is my favorite star trek character

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

jeeves posted:

I love Parallels for it being a Worf story and one of the rare decent season 7 episodes, but hot drat are the RLM guys right in thinking that proof of infinite parallel dimensions kind of ruins the premise of caring about your characters in Trek. Of course Rick & Morty took this premise and ran with it well.

Frame of mind is probably my favourite tng episode and I always thought I was the only one.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I don't even remember this particular instance of O'brien Must Suffer. Looks like Cardassians kidnapped him?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

I don't even remember this particular instance of O'brien Must Suffer. Looks like Cardassians kidnapped him?
Yeah that’s an early one

He gets arrested for a crime and they grab him off of a shuttle

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

Bernd is a very ... special kind of obsessive. I don't think I'll ever fully understand him (I've had a few email correspondences with him over the years and he fixates on the weirdest things); the best way I can describe him is that he's like the ulilillia of Trek fans. I don't think I've ever encountered someone so rigidly set in his ways as Bernd.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Dysgenesis posted:

Frame of mind is probably my favourite tng episode and I always thought I was the only one.

Nope, it’s probably mine too. What a loving great episode that is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Timby posted:

Bernd is a very ... special kind of obsessive. I don't think I'll ever fully understand him (I've had a few email correspondences with him over the years and he fixates on the weirdest things); the best way I can describe him is that he's like the ulilillia of Trek fans. I don't think I've ever encountered someone so rigidly set in his ways as Bernd.

He is the most German person I'm aware of.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Frame of Mind is a really cool episode but not super representative of the show. I like it but part of why it works is because it’s so weird and left field. It’s like a Prisoner episode but with Riker.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In other "it's just a TV show, relax" stuff, if the whole point of the wormhole mines in DS9 was that they were self replicating, why didn't they just have the mines replicate each other instead of setting up each one meticulously while under attack.

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Animal-Mother posted:

Every race has had a go at O'Brien.

The things they did to him on Risa :stonklol:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

skasion posted:

Frame of Mind is a really cool episode but not super representative of the show. I like it but part of why it works is because it’s so weird and left field. It’s like a Prisoner episode but with Riker.

I love the prisoner too.

If someone was too watch just one episode of tng I would probably point them to my other favourite which is (of course) cause and effect. Super trekky but you don't need to be fully au fait with the characters to enjoy it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dysgenesis posted:

If someone was too watch just one episode of tng I would probably point them to my other favourite which is (of course) cause and effect. Super trekky but you don't need to be fully au fait with the characters to enjoy it.

By sheer happenstance this was the first episode of TNG I ever saw (came across it on syndicated TV during summer reruns between seasons 5 and 6), so it warms my heart to see it brought up as a "good first episode" pick so often. :)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Martytoof posted:

In other "it's just a TV show, relax" stuff, if the whole point of the wormhole mines in DS9 was that they were self replicating, why didn't they just have the mines replicate each other instead of setting up each one meticulously while under attack.

They might not have been capable of replicating in place. I thought they needed to have a critical number of mutually supporting mines in place before they could self replicate.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Minidust posted:

By sheer happenstance this was the first episode of TNG I ever saw (came across it on syndicated TV during summer reruns between seasons 5 and 6), so it warms my heart to see it brought up as a "good first episode" pick so often. :)

I believe my first episode of TNG was The Naked Now. I also remember coming across Shades of Grey very early on as a child (I was born in 1984 and was already a huge Trek fan by the time I was 4 or so).

Grand Fromage posted:

That is probably the best description ever written of Bernd Schneider.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I was talking to my therapist the other day about how unusual it is for TV shows to make me cry and mentioned The Visitor. They said they'd watched all of DS9 but didn't remember that one wtf I need a new therapist now

CPColin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 19, 2021

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

I raise you Udo Kier.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Timby posted:

I’ve been reading EAS since Enterprise was first announced and I was delighted by his constant ranty essays about the lazy design of the copy paste of the Akira class. He’s only grown on me more since. He’s like... such a crusty obsessive turbo nerd, but in a charming way.

He reminds me of a German Rich Sternbach only with zero “fine I guess we’ll go with what the producers want cuz they are paying me!”

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Trek thread has taken a strongly Teutonic turn. Not in a worrying youtube suggestions kind of way.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

I’ve been reading EAS since Enterprise was first announced and I was delighted by his constant ranty essays about the lazy design of the copy paste of the Akira class. He’s only grown on me more since. He’s like... such a crusty obsessive turbo nerd, but in a charming way.

He reminds me of a German Rich Sternbach only with zero “fine I guess we’ll go with what the producers want cuz they are paying me!”

wasn't he the guy that got Doug Drexler or John Eaves (I forget which one) to send him sarcastically-labelled jpegs comparing the NX-01 to world war 2 planes like "oooh they share *this* detail it must be a continuity error!" lmao

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jeeves posted:

Yeah, he's just so earnest with his random fixations that you can't help but find the guy charming.

Just his complete commitment to continuing to hand-code every page on EAS, because he originally built the thing on goddamn Frontpage and now uses Notepad++ and Excel and drat it that's the way he likes it so gently caress you he's not ever going to use a CMS ... well, it makes my brain bleed, especially because a lot of his code is horrifically bloated, and I'm pretty sure my phone starts howling and shrieking on certain pages on his site, but good on him. You do you, Bernd, and keep shining on, you crazy diamond.

Tighclops posted:

wasn't he the guy that got Doug Drexler or John Eaves (I forget which one) to send him sarcastically-labelled jpegs comparing the NX-01 to world war 2 planes like "oooh they share *this* detail it must be a continuity error!" lmao

I think it was Eaves who did that. Bernd loving adores Drexler.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Tighclops posted:

Amazing.

Every time I think of how anything post-JarJarAbrams is now technically canon for Trek, I just think of someone like Bernd getting another bit of gray hair.

EAS actually has a note up saying he's recovering from a serious injury. Maybe we should send him flowers? Then again he has amazing German healthcare so nevermind.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 19, 2021

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Dude has some interesting opinions on star trek, :stare:

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Axe-man posted:

Dude has some interesting opinions on star trek

Rollover txt for He_Was_Quiet_And_Kept_To_Himself.html

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Season 6 is certainly better than season 2, but it is not the high point of the series. They're both hit and miss seasons.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

jeeves posted:

I’ve been reading EAS since Enterprise was first announced and I was delighted by his constant ranty essays about the lazy design of the copy paste of the Akira class.

Here's one of those essays: https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/enterprise_design_comment.htm

I've never conversed with Bernd, but I've always liked his website. If you're looking for obsessively-collected detail about what's been shown in Trek, ex-astris-scientia.org is second only to Memory Alpha.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Martytoof posted:

I sure hope someone got fired for that blunder.

I always assumed it took longer to extract source mass/power from the Denorios belt for all the individual mine replicators than to use the ones on DS9 and/or the Defiant.

Could also be some safeguard to keep the invisible minefield from turning into a grey goo minefield by accident.

I'm usually of the opinion that it shouldn't take you more than about 5 second to come up with something to explain an inconsistency in sci-fi unless you're looking to whine about something.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thotsky posted:

Season 6 is certainly better than season 2, but it is not the high point of the series. They're both hit and miss seasons.

Yeah, the last season of TNG that has almost no clunkers in it is 5, and even then there are some "woof"-level episodes, with Ethics, Silicon Avatar, New Ground and Cost of Living coming to mind, off the top of my head. Season 6 is when the show really started to show its wrinkles, and 7 is so aggressively mediocre that it's largely forgettable.

Powered Descent posted:

Here's one of those essays: https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/enterprise_design_comment.htm

I've never conversed with Bernd, but I've always liked his website. If you're looking for obsessively-collected detail about what's been shown in Trek, ex-astris-scientia.org is second only to Memory Alpha.

I'd argue that EAS is just as obsessive as Memory Alpha, just in a different way. I'm grateful for both sites, though, even if the Memory Alpha folks sometimes freak the gently caress out about the tiniest minutiae sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is the first time I've heard that people really don't like Silicon Avatar