Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

I kind of agree. CCP talks a big game about how they want the game to be hard and they want to encourage players to gain expertise in how to play. Globby's tactic wasn't just using One Weird Trick and having some obscure knowledge of mechanics. It was something that took skill to do effectively at any kind of scale.

They talk mad poo poo, but their intent can almost always be summed up with "gently caress goons"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

On second thought the problem with T3Cs isn't so much the interdiction nullifier on its own, it's that they can be nullified and covert cloaky at the same time while making few sacrifices in combat efficiency for it. Make those systems mutually exclusive and it would be fine because you're not getting a T3C down to <2s align time.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Collateral Damage posted:

On second thought the problem with T3Cs isn't so much the interdiction nullifier on its own, it's that they can be nullified and covert cloaky at the same time while making few sacrifices in combat efficiency for it. Make those systems mutually exclusive and it would be fine because you're not getting a T3C down to <2s align time.

they can refit in space to non-interdiction

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

T3Cs are honestly not even really bothersome in that context these days. They're slippery, but given their align times, totally catchable by a competent gatecamp without having to push against server issues.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I thought interceptors could be smart bombed?

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Kerbtree posted:

Not when they are jumping into a system.

If a ceptor pilot is remotely competent, avoiding smart bombing camps is really easy. They are only easy kills when going directly gate to gate.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Kerbtree posted:

You can but its really hard. You will only catch them if you are sitting at their destination, know exactly where they are coming from, and activate the bombs at the right time. The lowsec systems where this happens work because there are only 2 gates and people don't ping off a celestial.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

Anyone have some fitting ideas/guidelines for hunting ratters/miners (in occupied Delve) in a Legion? I've got perfect skills but never had the chance to actually fly it. Also I'm a huge moron. I want to pitch in but haven't had much time for playing lately.

I'm willing to accept that it's a bad idea but I love Amarr ships.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

WorkerThread posted:

Anyone have some fitting ideas/guidelines for hunting ratters/miners (in occupied Delve) in a Legion? I've got perfect skills but never had the chance to actually fly it. Also I'm a huge moron. I want to pitch in but haven't had much time for playing lately.

I'm willing to accept that it's a bad idea but I love Amarr ships.

I don't have a fit for you, but pulses loving own right now.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I think Solus was hot dropping miners with a beam legion a couple of months back

that's a $400m + killmail if you eat poo poo, though

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Hunting in Delve with a laser loadout sounds questionable at best.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
Wouldn’t a hecate be good for something like that?

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Jazzzzz posted:

I think Solus was hot dropping miners with a beam legion a couple of months back

that's a $400m + killmail if you eat poo poo, though

Entosisers

I'd bridge myself to our cyno beacon in system, warp in at 100, shoot the lovely entosis guy, go to a friendly citadel and covert cyno my black ops in. It was very luxurious

https://zkillboard.com/kill/88353278/

You can eat poo poo to small poo poo very quickly though. This strat relied on having our own beacon network and poo poo too. Can't do it any more

For hunting ratters I'd use a hecate, just overheat with void and laugh

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Solus posted:

Entosisers

I'd bridge myself to our cyno beacon in system, warp in at 100, shoot the lovely entosis guy, go to a friendly citadel and covert cyno my black ops in. It was very luxurious

https://zkillboard.com/kill/88353278/

You can eat poo poo to small poo poo very quickly though. This strat relied on having our own beacon network and poo poo too. Can't do it any more

For hunting ratters I'd use a hecate, just overheat with void and laugh

Should've loaded Gleam :sun:

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I only just noticed i had regular multifreq loaded for some reason. wtf

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Mederlock posted:

Should've loaded Gleam :sun:

Solus posted:

I dont know poo poo about ammo. What would it have changed?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dalael posted:

I dont know poo poo about ammo. What would it have changed?

So, for most ammo there's varying bonuses to turret tracking, optimal range, falloff range, damage type, and damage amounts. So, on beams, Aurora is the longest range ammo, but it has worse tracking to account for that. Gleam is the closest range but highest damage (iirc) ammo, but it also gets a 25% bonus to turret tracking to make up for the loss in usable range. The T1 ammos fill in all the gaps in between.

E: as for what it would've changed, he might still have died, but there would've been a far higher chance of actually dealing damage to the frigates. Whether it would've been enough to survive is hard to say. In a situation like that where a close In target has gotten under my turrets tracking, I load tracking bonuses ammo AND turn off auto-repeat on my guns. Then I hover my finger over F1 as I watch their transversal like a hawk, and shoot when I see their transversal dip down. I also manually double-click align away from them to try to decrease transversal at the same time. Also, a flight of Warrior II's helps a lot.

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 19, 2021

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
unfortunately this fit has no drones lmao and has 14k EHP. You get caught you're dead

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
14k ehp on a T3C? :eyepop:

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Rough fleet today. Jackdaws. We had trouble setting up a jump cyno. Plan B was to jump in a covops who would anchor a mobile cyno beacon. That required a blops. And then the jumped ship didn’t have the cargo space to carry the mobile beacon. That got sorted out, and we finally jumped after half an hour.

We then jumped back and forth for a while, which is fine, except the FC kept doing fancy pants formation warps. We would warp to a gate, but the formation left several ships outside of gate activation range. We eventually started firing on a station, until Tengus showed up. We disengaged, regrouped, flew back to fight. After a couple of minutes, it was clear the Tengus were spider tanking and easily handling our DPS. A few people, myself included, pointed this out. The FC didn’t pay attention, surely we can trick someone if we keep calling new targets. It didn’t work. And it didn’t work for a very long, very obvious length of time.

After losing a good chunk of the fleet, the FC said we had no titan jump home, we’d have to gate it. An awkward 20ish jump parade followed, culminating in stealth bombers trying to nuke the stragglers in 1DQ. I survived, along with maybe a quarter of the original fleet.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://streamable.com/wlf88l

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Mederlock posted:

14k ehp on a T3C? :eyepop:

It's a pure sniper ship - no tank all range

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Generally when you're solo and you're up against an enemy gang, aside from extreme incompetence or extreme poo poo fits you're probably gonna die. More ships are almost always better than bling. It wouldn't matter how much EHP he had on that, if he gets caught he's dead.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Solus posted:

Not like this.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I never claimed to be good at this game.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

SugarAddict posted:

Generally when you're solo and you're up against an enemy gang, aside from extreme incompetence or extreme poo poo fits you're probably gonna die. More ships are almost always better than bling. It wouldn't matter how much EHP he had on that, if he gets caught he's dead.

You can 'uncatch' yourself pretty often if your ship is nimble and has a bit of tank or rep strength to get yourself out. Especially a Legion and especially especially an overpropped AB one because they are pretty quick. A gang needs a very specific ships in it to kill a competent one or like 20 people that can alpha you into dust.

But zero tank on a ship that is just sniping entosis stuff is fine since you are just roleplaying as a Tornado

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Solus posted:

:same:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Solus posted:

I've lost billions in ships to rats due to the game deciding my afk attack drones didn't want to attack anything.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
its a good bit of fun to jump a bunch of trash ships into t5z and then start knifing everyone: https://fleetcom.space/battlereport/guS95r7maDppC5B22

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Bored of flying just mainfleet? Want to find your F2? Come on down to Afgoonistan, where we do things like ref and blap a jump bridge in the span of 3 hours (with them even dropping a carrier and dread to try and save it), then moonwalk out after they form a full muninn fleet to catch you. The only ingredient we're missing is some of that sweet Delta Squad Tornado action.

https://br.evetools.org/br/6054187e002302001ac4e1dd

Rolando
Jan 12, 2021
This happened a few days ago on T5 gate, some randoms jumped to the gate camp fleet attempting to accomplish something.

https://br.evetools.org/br/604d35a1002302001ac4da17

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Solus posted:

even with gleam loaded you would've been hosed, beams don't track for poo poo

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
https://br.evetools.org/related/30004766/202103200300

Morale Improved https://streamable.com/xpnmua

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I'm the tuba player. Low Brass Kicks rear end

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

I'm the tuba player. Low Brass Kicks rear end

I fully agree with that statement. I was a trombone player through college. Hell, that trombone is still the most valuable thing I own. Tubas are total bros. that sounds like a bari sax playing the low part though

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

Floppychop posted:

I fully agree with that statement. I was a trombone player through college. Hell, that trombone is still the most valuable thing I own. Tubas are total bros. that sounds like a bari sax playing the low part though

That's because it is a bari sax. That audio is not from that clip.

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqTW3kx8dG0

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Bari saxes are honorary low brass members, they have too much sass and and swagger to be considered woodwinds :frogc00l:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Beach Bum posted:

Bari saxes are honorary low brass members, they have too much sass and and swagger to be considered woodwinds :frogc00l:

Saxes in general are honorary brass. Unlike French Horns who really are just some kind of long yellow clarinet IMHO. Bass clarinet players are usualy okay though.

3rd Trumpet: "Yes, yes, I know how HARRRRD it is to play French Horn, you've mentioned it before." <picks up French Horn, does a double octave chromatic run, hands it back>

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

Saxes in general are honorary brass. Unlike French Horns who really are just some kind of long yellow clarinet IMHO. Bass clarinet players are usualy okay though.

3rd Trumpet: "Yes, yes, I know how HARRRRD it is to play French Horn, you've mentioned it before." <picks up French Horn, does a double octave chromatic run, hands it back>

Horn players are definitely kinda in the middle, all snooty and dignified like an oboe or something. However, they do produce absolutely wonderful and beautiful sounds across a ridiculous range in the hands of an expert player. Horn concertos are probably my favorite, followed closely by small brass groups.

Flautists can hang out with low brass too, flutes require a loving shitton of air compared to most reeds.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I was a bassoon player at one point in my life.