Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

a lot of my time on SA is probably a waste but I also got to meet a lot of cool people and talk about one of my hobbies in a way that i really can't do in my offline life, so it's probably been at least kinda worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Even though I'm enjoying Morrowind at the moment, I have way, way more fun reading about the Elder Scrolls than I do playing any of the games.

Like the fact that the sun and stars are holes in the fabric of the world that let magic leak in, and were left behind after several of the gods noped the gently caress out during the creation of the world when they realised how much of themselves and their power they would have to give up to finish it.

I hope the games engage with some of the crazy stuff hidden in books I doubt Todd Howard has ever even read. The moments in their games where you do interact with gods tend to be the more unique or fun missions though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfTCCZAbFSo

yall remember ocremix? i used to lug around a massive folder of like years worth of lovely ocremixes before realizing i didnt need and wasnt going to listen some crappy 2000 techno rendition of the mario tune or whatever, but 15 years later i listen to an alarming amount of shitpost videogame songs on youtube

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
im 41 and i remember the vast majority of video gaming history

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Oh great sage of vidya, tell us of the old days long since passed.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Same.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Relax Or DIE posted:

a lot of my time on SA is probably a waste but I also got to meet a lot of cool people and talk about one of my hobbies in a way that i really can't do in my offline life, so it's probably been at least kinda worth it

oh and i met Rarity as well!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

My favorite thing to do is pretend that if I wasn't playing video games or posting I would be doing something producting instead of just finding something functionally identical. Like, some people I know are like "Oh, video games? Hehe, I wouldn't play those" and then watch 12 hours of Friends reruns on television every day and do jigsaw puzzles. Like cmon, at that point you might as well just play Picross. If you're "obsessed with reading" and your current reading list is all YA lit and whatever series is currently being made into a movie/series, there's no reason to not just make the jump to Umineko.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

oh yeah? name five video games

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Simone Magus posted:

I mean, except for the anti-trans stuff, and also not being funny, sure

That was one of the rare times he apologized for something

Humor's subjective, I think he's pretty funny. Though, I don't bother to watch his videos every week or anything.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Acerbatus posted:

That was one of the rare times he apologized for something

Honestly good on him for apologizing for not being funny

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jolo posted:

EA Play games are available with Game Pass PC now, so just a friendly reminder to play Shantae Half Genie Hero on there. It's good.

Reminder not to play Seven Sirens because that one is like, perplexingly bad.

Help Im Alive posted:

Do you ever wonder what you would've done in the million hours you'd gain if you had never been :justpost:ing here

I'd still be single, so registering for this site was basically a huge mistake. :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Khanstant posted:

I hope the games engage with some of the crazy stuff hidden in books I doubt Todd Howard has ever even read. The moments in their games where you do interact with gods tend to be the more unique or fun missions though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfTCCZAbFSo

It's kind of hosed how legitimately good this sounds

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i thought it'd be fun to learn Super Metroid any% because it'd be neat to be able to beat the game in under an hour (real time not fake super metroid ending screen time) After my first couple of attempts trying to learn the basic route from the SM speedrun wiki I'm at a measly 1 hour 15 or something idk I wasn't actually timing it maybe I need to download the speedrunner thing with all the splits

it's fun but I do not like phantoon

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Draga posted:

Oh great sage of vidya, tell us of the old days long since passed.

I have a vague memory of being 5 years old in front of a colecovision. The carpet was brown, there was a dog there and people were eating pizza. I think I played burgertime? It wasn't my house, someone was babysitting, I couldn't tell you who.

My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20, on which I played a lot of River Rescue and Adventure. My dad had a fortran cartridge and tried to convince me to learn fortran. I did not learn fortran.

My first console was a Sega Master System. I was jealous of Nintendo owners, but Phantasy Star was and remains incredibly loving good.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

My favorite thing to do is pretend that if I wasn't playing video games or posting I would be doing something producting instead of just finding something functionally identical. Like, some people I know are like "Oh, video games? Hehe, I wouldn't play those" and then watch 12 hours of Friends reruns on television every day and do jigsaw puzzles. Like cmon, at that point you might as well just play Picross. If you're "obsessed with reading" and your current reading list is all YA lit and whatever series is currently being made into a movie/series, there's no reason to not just make the jump to Umineko.

now that i have a dog i have to go outside several times a day and the worst part is seeing all the fancy tv setups through first floor windows with nothing but local news or *ugh* sports on. just absolute cringe all around. shout outs to the guy who was watching yugioh though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also happy birthday kerrzhe!!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Macaluso posted:

in the Bernie timeline the whole kingdoms hearts series was a mashup of Nintendo + Final Fantasy DKSeph is one of the main villains, there's no pointless terrible KH-specific characters, and the whole story is coherent and cohesive when played in release order, all of which are on PC by now.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Replace 2013 with 2008 but yeah.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Khanstant posted:

in the Bernie timeline the whole kingdoms hearts series was a mashup of Nintendo + Final Fantasy DKSeph is one of the main villains, there's no pointless terrible KH-specific characters, and the whole story is coherent and cohesive when played in release order, all of which are on PC by now.

I guess it would make sense that in the Bernie timeline something would have to be worse to balance it out

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

First system talk? Atari 2600. But it was the family system: one of my aunts bought it for one of their kids and it got passed around to the 30 or so of us whenever someone got bored with it. I had a NES, SNES, Game Boy, Game Gear and Genesis as a kid but I stopped gaming around 15 or so until I was in my 20's. I never had the issue of having too many games to play because I only ever had 4 or 5 for each system and half of those were Mario and Sonic.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
If I never started posting on SA then I already know I'd just be posting on another forum instead. A lot would be different for sure but that's just because different forums have different posting cultures. The real horror would be what if I had never found any kind of forum because I've been using message boards ever since I was 11 years-old and I really relied on that just to get through the day.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

I posted on GAF a lot back in the day, but then that forum got overridden by chuds and its reincarnation is pretty dumb. It’s amusing to me that Something Awful of all places turned out to be one of the lefter-leaning places I could hang out.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
playing through custom robo with random parts for every match continues to be a good time (even if it keeps trying to give me either the tin can robo or the final boss) but the highlight is still the npcs. most of the generic, visually identical townspeople still has a distinct voice and story, like:

-the lovey dovey couple who start to acknowledge that they've been sitting on the same park bench for days and end up entering a tournament just to have an excuse to leave
-a generic boy who seems to share the same backstory as the protagonist, pushing himself every day to a great robo commander just like his dead dad wanted. except actually his dad is alive and works down the street as a generic lab researcher
-the robot who spars with above boy every day to the point of developing a paternal bond with him
-the two girls who spend half the game wondering what the Z in the mysterious Z Syndicate stands for and slowly get everyone in the park in on it. zelda? zucchini? zzzzzavocado?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

My first console was a SNES and I was initially gutted when I opened it at Christmas because I had asked for a NES and had never seen a SNES in my life.

Then I played Super Mario World with my dad and it was amazing. I still think the SNES is the best console of all time.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I remember really liking Custom Robo, especially when it genre shifts from a goofy town-based adventure like Mega Man Battle Network and into some weird surreal apocalypse story

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mode 7 posted:

Then I played Super Mario World with my dad and it was amazing. I still think the SNES is the best console of all time.

it's a strong contender, though ps4 has had a fuckin run

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it's a strong contender, though ps4 has had a fuckin run

What are some good PS4 games besides Bloodborne and that giant robot one. I might buy a used one soon.

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

My first console was a Sega Master System. I was jealous of Nintendo owners, but Phantasy Star was and remains incredibly loving good.

:yeah:

Those full-screen dungeons!!! Also the cat :3

Weedle
May 31, 2006

happy birthday kerrzhe :toot:

i wrote yahtzee off once the escapist swung hard towards gamergate and he continued to work with them (and still does to this day). i figure if he wasn’t on board with that poo poo he would have moved somewhere else

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

What are some good PS4 games besides Bloodborne and that giant robot one. I might buy a used one soon.

There are 10 extremely good free games being given out over the next few weeks as part of the Play at Home 2021 thing Sony are doing, you can create a PSN account and 'purchase' them even if you don't own a console yet.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/17/play-at-home-2021-update-10-free-games-to-download-this-spring/

Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete Edition
ABZU
Enter the Gungeon
Rez Infinite
Subnautica
The Witness
Astro Bot Rescue Mission
Moss
Thumper
Paper Beast

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Space Jam mashes up surprisingly well with final boss themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li8ZqVGzDXQ

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

knack

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lurdiak posted:

just exclusives?

FF7R
13 Sentinels (i assume that's the giant robot one)
God of War
Persona 5 Royal
TLOU 2 and the 1 remaster
Shadow of Colossus remake
The Last Guardian
Judgment and Yakuza 6 (probably coming to PC soon though)
Spider-man
the Uncharted series
Ghosts of Tsushima

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol that Zero Punctuation could've continued to be on this site if the bad forum man would've been willing to pay.

I only watch him through youtube so I don't have to go to the escapist but iirc they got rid of the lovely person or whatever was going on therelmao i looked it up and it seems the original gaterbro sold this company for ??? dollars, then whoever bought it tried to add in the smosh boys or something, the site basically died and petered off until it was basically yahtzee left, kind of waiting to die, but then destruction person bought it, installed a new honcho... who later on got into something with zoe quinn over some deleted gamergate article. current dude hasnt done any controversies yet but in any case seems like yahtzee is the sole reason the site even still exists. wonder how much they pay him, the general shittiness of the escapist over time definitely seems like the sort of thing he wouldn't be okay with, but everyone has a price

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wuggles posted:

I posted on GAF a lot back in the day, but then that forum got overridden by chuds and its reincarnation is pretty dumb. It’s amusing to me that Something Awful of all places turned out to be one of the lefter-leaning places I could hang out.

That split sucked immensely

It was nice to have a very active general games forum for up to minute news and an active community with ok moderation

Now Reddit sucks rear end and half the gaming dialogue is on twitch and youtube, with a handful of meh forums out there. It's horrific how many gaming forums were overrun by absolute chuds (or in some cases, the whiplash alternative which is just as unusable though for different reasons)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
My low energy comfort game is Graveyard Keeper

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

just exclusives?

FF7R
13 Sentinels (i assume that's the giant robot one)
God of War
Persona 5 Royal
TLOU 2 and the 1 remaster
Shadow of Colossus remake
The Last Guardian
Judgment and Yakuza 6 (probably coming to PC soon though)
Spider-man
the Uncharted series
Ghosts of Tsushima

Speaking of the FF7 remake, did the Square Enix conference today mention anything about the second part?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nope. Life is Strange was the only really big announcement. I'm assuming the big guns are being saved for E3times.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Huh.

I wonder if this will affect Smash's place at Evo? Probably not right? It's to big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Larryb posted:

Speaking of the FF7 remake, did the Square Enix conference today mention anything about the second part?

Nothing Final Fantasy at today's conference at all as far as I know.