Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I didn't get to ride the Dirt Glide. Wasn't available. High hopes for that bike. It sure is comfortable and ergonomical

It reminds me of Super Tenere more than it does of BMW GS

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I didn't get to ride the Dirt Glide. Wasn't available. High hopes for that bike. It sure is comfortable and ergonomical

God, Dirt Glide is so much the perfect name for that bike.
I kind of want to buy one just so I can refer to it as the Dirt Glide, and tell people that's what it's called.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

It reminds me of Super Tenere more than it does of BMW GS

Thanks for this picture, makes it much easier to understand the jommetry. I didn't realise the seat had rear end massagers, pretty cool little touch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is a cool rear end harley, maybe the coolest harley, at least the coolest one in a long while.

I'm pre-emptively getting angry for when its silently and unceremoniously axed in 2022

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

KLR Facebook group 😐

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just saw the shape of the plastic before I scrolled down that last line, and I thought "lol of course it's a klr guy"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I'm by no means a KLR person but surely the whole point is that all work on it should be done like it's five years after the apocalypse and you just cargo-cult whatever parts it needs out of whatever happens to be lying around?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bikelife.mp4

https://twitter.com/dudespostingws/status/1369015694407385091?s=21

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah if you wanna RP Mad Max, for some reason that draws the KLR crowd. I don’t get it personally, I kind of already feel a little sketchy daily driving a fat dirt bike in my mid 30s, why make it intentionally look more like garbage?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I had a dream last night that I'd bought a KLR and couldn't get a milk crate bungee'd to the tail rack well enough to keep it from falling off. Anyone want to take a crack at interpreting that one?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Revvik posted:

Yeah if you wanna RP Mad Max, for some reason that draws the KLR crowd. I don’t get it personally, I kind of already feel a little sketchy daily driving a fat dirt bike in my mid 30s, why make it intentionally look more like garbage?

Or the royal Enfield crowd. Yes crowd.

There are 3 royal Enfields parked at various motorcycle park points within 200m of my office building. 2 of them are Himalayans.

First time I saw them all together I did a double take. I did a Google maps check and no, they aren't parked outside and Enfield dealership, and they move amongst the parking spots often enough to lead me to believe they are not actually abandoned wrecks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

I had a dream last night that I'd bought a KLR and couldn't get a milk crate bungee'd to the tail rack well enough to keep it from falling off. Anyone want to take a crack at interpreting that one?

You’re old and lying to yourself about how shabby you are. Those pants don’t fit no matter how much you tug on the waistband, and a belt won’t solve it. Either sell yourself off as a loss or get serious and do some proper maintenance with a real workout and not just a 20 minute dog walk a few times a week.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
That’s not a crowd, that’s one Royal Enfield owner and his emergency spares he has to cart around with him :stare:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Enfield did well on the new oil test that fortnine just had a video about.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

The big chunks are still in the filter.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Russian Bear posted:

He also had basically nothing but good things to say about the new Continental GT which inspired me to pick up the Interceptor (same bike minus the clipons). Its been great so far, wish parts were easier to find but maybe that'll change over time I hear they're selling well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ADINSX posted:

He also had basically nothing but good things to say about the new Continental GT which inspired me to pick up the Interceptor (same bike minus the clipons). Its been great so far, wish parts were easier to find but maybe that'll change over time I hear they're selling well.

How have you not posted pics of this yet? Seen a couple from a distance, they look very impressive. Have you ridden many other bikes, as a point of comparison?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That review turned me onto the new Royal Enfield, too. I love the look of the contiGT Ice Queen colorway, as well as the seat, but bars are obviously better. Please post more about yours!

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

How have you not posted pics of this yet? Seen a couple from a distance, they look very impressive. Have you ridden many other bikes, as a point of comparison?
I too would like pics!

Zack did a daily rider on the bike a couple weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQF5CQu6hqE

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Slavvy posted:

Sure:

This is a crummy shot but all I have on hand at the moment. The color combo I got is called Baker Express which is the best looking one imo (and to my knowledge, the only one to use the simpler "Royal Enfield" text badge instead of the somewhat gaudy fake chrome piece)

I like it a lot. I've ridden a few bikes: a Ninja 250, a second gen SV650, a Moto Guzzi V7, a Kawasaki Z900 and now this. I was looking to get back to something retro and air cooled like the V7 (but ideally better... with a transmission that actually worked). It was mainly between this and the Triumph T100 but after a test ride I really didn't like the T100's electronic throttle, and honestly the engine didn't seem very fun or lively at higher revs.

The Interceptor is a great around-town bike, pretty heavy for what it is but its all in the engine down low, with skinny tires, a lot like the Ninja 250. The engine is fun to rev out, the throttle feels good, transmission shifts incredibly smoothly (slipper clutch works well too) and it feels very stable in a corner... really no complaints other than I wish it had just a bit more power (its fun to ride a slow bike fast, but maybe if it had mid 50s hp instead low to mid 40s). Its also a pain to find aftermarket parts (or even regular ones) and a lot of stuff ships from India, but the aftermarket exhaust I got was affordable and nice (from AEW)

No mechanical problems yet, starts up immediately even in cold weather, I'm really enjoying it and suspect I'll keep it for awhile.

edit: Forgot to mention, he's right about the pegs sticking out too far, it makes you feel kinda knock-kneed when gripping the tank with your legs. I'll probably try and find some nice thick knee grips this spring and see if that helps, its just a minor annoyance.

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 17, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Ducati Streetfighter V4 S looks excellent. It's such a cool bike and apparently really nice to ride.

That exhaust though, it looks bad.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Shame about those dumbass scythed chariot fins on the radiator, though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It truly is horrible, is that some euro5 related thing?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The large catalytic converter is in there, which is mandatory for Euro emissions standards.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I understand ducati had to go v4 away from the big twins for emissions reasons.

those big chunky cylinders had lots of space to hide unburnt fuel. nasty if you have to care about what’s coming out of the tailpipe

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What's wrong with the exhaust? It's silver and shaped nice and compact. It's the best looking part of that transformer travesty.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

euro 5 Sucks Balls

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Coydog posted:

What's wrong with the exhaust? It's silver and shaped nice and compact. It's the best looking part of that transformer travesty.

reported for trolling

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yummycheese posted:

I understand ducati had to go v4 away from the big twins for emissions reasons.

those big chunky cylinders had lots of space to hide unburnt fuel. nasty if you have to care about what’s coming out of the tailpipe

Emissions have no bearing on it, they switched to a v4 because the wsbk rules effectively made a v-twin completely unviable. The other bikes getting a v4 is just a way of recouping money on the initial investment of turning a gp engine into a street engine. 4 cylinder engines are generally dirtier and less efficient than twins because they have more piston ring surface area for gases to bypass, and more bore/combustion chamber surface area to lose heat to, so there's certainly no inherent advantage there.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Steakandchips posted:

To each their own but I think it looks fine :shrug:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Far worse than the muffler is the gaping hole in the bike that results if you take that off. There is nothing back there, the sump is dagger shaped just like it looks in the picture. Literally just a cat shaped negative space.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Literally just a cat shaped negative space.

Coincidentally, this is what I have to deal with every couple of weeks when it's claw trimming time

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

Slavvy posted:

.... 4 cylinder engines are generally dirtier and less efficient than twins because they have more piston ring surface area for gases to bypass, and more bore/combustion chamber surface area to lose heat to, so there's certainly no inherent advantage there.

interesting. had not thought about all that extra piston ring.

ill miss big twins thats for sure. I dont think I’ve ridden with anyone that had on of the modern v4’s so i can comment on what they’re like IRL.

Also frankly that super powerful 200hp naked seems like a bit much. who’s riding that?? it seems like you’ll never get to punch it on the street without instantly regretting it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I saw a dad with his kid on the back on one.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can use about 150hp on the road, more than that is basically willy waving excess and doesn't increase your a-b speed whatsoever. From that perspective literbikes have basically not changed for two decades, they just kept getting better tyres and eventually electronics. Get a 5k gixxer, spend 3k on suspension, exhaust, PC etc, congrats you have a bike on par with a brand new panigale.

Other fun twin/four fact: one of ducati's hidden sbk advantages in the 90's was that the aforementioned lesser surface area to lose heat through meant smaller radiators than an equally powerful four, which made an already skinny bike much skinnier by reducing frontal area, like a barracuda slicing through the water past all the big wide hammerhead fours. Iirc fogarty's 996 actually had atrophied radiators and a different, narrower fairing than normal to take advantage of this.A bunch of little things like this gradually being closed by technology/explicitly forbidden is what eventually kicked off the switch to begin with.

The rules now favour a four cylinder bike with a wildly inappropriate chassis and engine, eg the 3,000 'spare' rpm that effectively do nothing but make it possible to make way more power in racing, because the rev limiters are based on a percentage of the road bike's redline. It is idiotic, makes no sense and the panigale v4 existing at all is solid proof that the rules have had the direct opposite effect to what was intended - the bikes are more expensive, impractical, complicated and irrelevant than ever.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Steakandchips posted:

The Ducati Streetfighter V4 S looks excellent. It's such a cool bike and apparently really nice to ride.

Here's something more to your taste then.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

The rules now favour a four cylinder bike with a wildly inappropriate chassis and engine

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

Far worse than the muffler is the gaping hole in the bike that results if you take that off. There is nothing back there, the sump is dagger shaped just like it looks in the picture. Literally just a cat shaped negative space.

If it's going to be mandatory (and iirc euro 5 requires regular emissions testing at MOT, so it's not like you can ever remove it) then it's better for it to be integrated in the visual design imo. This big silver lump is way cleaner than the huge beige boxes we were getting when euro 4/5 first came in.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Springfield Fatts posted:

Shame about those dumbass scythed chariot fins on the radiator, though.

yeah those rubber fins are the ugliest thing to me as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Slavvy posted:

4 cylinder engines are generally dirtier and less efficient than twins because they have more piston ring surface area for gases to bypass, and more bore/combustion chamber surface area to lose heat to, so there's certainly no inherent advantage there.

Also this means the obviously Best engine is thumper

Wait, no, a zero cylinder engine :science: