Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Blasmeister posted:

Whether to get a tavern pass this time round or not is gonna be a hard decision though, I’m at 153 on the current track which is very close to the break even point for ‘will it pay for itself’, but I dunno if I’m gonna be able to keep up the above average playtime pace of this expansion plus throwing the money down on day 1 means I’ll have less gold for packs up front.

Yeah, I'm really not sure what I'm going to do either. I need to find some sort of "they did the math" post. What exactly is the level I need on a Tavern Pass for it to pay itself off in gold/packs? I also need to consider the 10/20% XP boost I'd have if I owned it as well. What do I lose out on if I get 60pk bundle + Tavern Pass vs. Mega Bundle?

I'm at a bit of an awkward gold amount too, with about 11k in Gold. Not sure if I'm better off buying Tavern Pass with Gold or cash if I went down the 60pk+Pass route and wanted to finish at "I don't need every card but want to be able to play most of the meta-decks and have at least 1 good deck per class"

This will be the first expansion I've played properly since the "no dupes" update to card packs (I've just been buying random packs since returning at the start of the year to the point that I've got about 115/135 of each the current standard sets). Whats the math on how many pack I need to open to get a full non-legendary set (which will presumably give me, what? Half of the legendaries?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are 90% of the class legendaries Original Characters Doughnut Steal?

I like how DMF had warcraft characters for most of the legendaries, but maybe I'm an outlier.

E: even Mordesh Fire-Eye is like "oh hey I remember that dude"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Diamonds cards are what golden cards should've been from the start.

Olpainless posted:

Pretty much.

The only thing that it's good for is that if you don't draw the first diamond card straight away it gets you it and bad luck protection will mean you won't get that until you're ready to backfill... But that's pretty niche.

They're probably some of the most boring artwork as well?

Diamond cards don't come from packs.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I’ll make it easy for you, if you are thinking of spending money on Hearthstone, don’t. It’s a free game.

There, I’m glad we got that settled.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Looten Plunder posted:

Yeah, I'm really not sure what I'm going to do either. I need to find some sort of "they did the math" post. What exactly is the level I need on a Tavern Pass for it to pay itself off in gold/packs? I also need to consider the 10/20% XP boost I'd have if I owned it as well. What do I lose out on if I get 60pk bundle + Tavern Pass vs. Mega Bundle?

I'm at a bit of an awkward gold amount too, with about 11k in Gold. Not sure if I'm better off buying Tavern Pass with Gold or cash if I went down the 60pk+Pass route and wanted to finish at "I don't need every card but want to be able to play most of the meta-decks and have at least 1 good deck per class"

This will be the first expansion I've played properly since the "no dupes" update to card packs (I've just been buying random packs since returning at the start of the year to the point that I've got about 115/135 of each the current standard sets). Whats the math on how many pack I need to open to get a full non-legendary set (which will presumably give me, what? Half of the legendaries?)

The post I remember seeing here a few weeks ago was the next tavern pass would pay for itself in XP boosted gold if you played enough to reach level 160 without a pass by the end of the season this time round (or level 200 with one) assuming equivalent playtime etc.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blasmeister posted:

The post I remember seeing here a few weeks ago was the next tavern pass would pay for itself in XP boosted gold if you played enough to reach level 160 without a pass by the end of the season this time round (or level 200 with one) assuming equivalent playtime etc.

That was before we knew the rewards on the new track though so I dunno how accurate it was.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Chernabog posted:

There's a beast that summons a minion from your opponent's hand and attacks, can't remember the expansion so it is probabably out.

from reddit, wild OTK with tavish

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Quotey posted:

from reddit, wild OTK with tavish

As I read this, I could feel an old tune stirring in me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKMqwRv3plI&t=38s

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
^^lol exactly. not that hard to pull off though, surprisingly

Looten Plunder posted:

Quotey posted:

Guy on reddit made a spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Mwem_kif7W0NG0b9m0OFRVbZlwL6_SpO/edit#gid=17006923

Takes 195 to make 2k extra, which is 155 with no experience bonus

Check it for your current level, it factors in % boosts obv. The maths will be changing a little next expansion but this should still be a rough guide if you play the same amount.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 19, 2021

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Quotey posted:

^^lol exactly. not that hard to pull off though, surprisingly

We have very different definitions of "not hard to pull off" if a 9 mana combo involving six Garnets isn't hard to pull off.

Unless :thejoke: in which case I'm very tired :shobon:

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 19, 2021

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Doesn't it also not work, because the Bloodstinger auto-attacks a minion and can't Charge face?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

Why are 90% of the class legendaries Original Characters Doughnut Steal?

I like how DMF had warcraft characters for most of the legendaries, but maybe I'm an outlier.

E: even Mordesh Fire-Eye is like "oh hey I remember that dude"

Each class is getting a mercenary OC as one of their legendaries to promote the new game mode that will be arriving sometime in the next few months.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

orangelex44 posted:

Doesn't it also not work, because the Bloodstinger auto-attacks a minion and can't Charge face?

I think its auto attack counts toward triggering Tavish's effect, so when that pulls Tundra Rhino, it then gains charge and can go face that turn.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

sirtommygunn posted:

Each class is getting a mercenary OC as one of their legendaries to promote the new game mode that will be arriving sometime in the next few months.
Is this the one with the slay the spire map? HS team is so different from how they were three years ago, it's really impressive.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

Maybe it works like Trueaim Crescent and since it's a Battlecry Attack, it can technically attack twice on the same turn.

Not sure, someone could probably test this against the AI with a Broomstick.

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Has blizzard stated the current tavern pass will go away with the barrens expansion releasing?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Aaod posted:

Has blizzard stated the current tavern pass will go away with the barrens expansion releasing?

It will, that's how battle passes work.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

No Wave posted:

Is this the one with the slay the spire map? HS team is so different from how they were three years ago, it's really impressive.

Yeah. We don't know enough about the mode mechanically to know if it actually plays like Slay The Spire, but you get the idea.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It also involves not drawing any of those combo cards.

sirtommygunn posted:

I more meant in the sense of "Why did this seem like a good idea?"

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Imagine knowing enough about WoW to know where any of these characters are from

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Blasmeister posted:

It took me like a year to figure out this was a WoW tie-in lol

Aaod
May 29, 2004
Somehow I just died on turn 8 as patches despite getting two goldens and the +2 per golden pirate because everyone I fought hit the absolute nuts such as milhouse. I am supposed to be the early/mid game hero that wrecks people how the gently caress did I die turn loving 8? The odds of that happening when I got that good of luck myself have to be worse than 1 in a million what the gently caress?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Desert Bus posted:

It took me like a year to figure out this was a WoW tie-in lol

I refuse to believe anyone can be unobservant enough to play a game by blizzard subtitled "Heroes of Warcraft" and not make the connection.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

They dropped that subtitle a few years back!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Not bad, especially since the 0 mana Murloc is in the core set. Also really scary in wild with Toxfin.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Blasmeister posted:

They dropped that subtitle a few years back!

I've been playing since gvg and don't remember ever seeing that subtitle

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

great big cardboard tube posted:

I've been extremely casually playing battlegrounds but haven't touched constructed in close to a year.

Thinking of coming back in with the new core set shaking everything up, I was considering buying the pass or maybe even a pre-order to catch up on cards but then I remembered I've played off and on since launch and never dusted anything except nerfed cards or extras with the dust button.

Looking through my wild collection I can get well over 30k just by dusting golden cards that I already have the non-golden versions of... Don't think I'll be spending anything.

Speaking of the core set, as someone who hasn't really played since like, Un'Goro, if I'm thinking about getting back in again how does this core set poo poo work? Will I get dust rewards for my existing cards that are moving to the free unlockable core sets, or should I dust all my classic stuff that's going to rotate in?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Blasmeister posted:

Something like half of legendaries these days are OC for Hearthstone

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

No Wave posted:

Yeah but it sounds not really like Slay The Spire. Apparently there's a a lot of metaprogression between runs, there's a PVE element, and then there's a PVP element where you're taking your fully-powered up mercenaries into battle with other player's mercenaries. Very curious about it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

goferchan posted:

Speaking of the core set, as someone who hasn't really played since like, Un'Goro, if I'm thinking about getting back in again how does this core set poo poo work? Will I get dust rewards for my existing cards that are moving to the free unlockable core sets, or should I dust all my classic stuff that's going to rotate in?

The core set is what we currently call the "basic" set which you get for free from leveling up the classes.
You don't get anything for your cards rotating out.
If you will never ever play wild/duels then it might be ok to dust them, nobody really knows.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

goferchan posted:

All Core Set cards are free loaner cards.

If you ever want to play any non-Standard constructed format, keep the real copies of the cards in your collection.

That's it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The mage legendary seems fine, not sure how often things will already be frozen for the damage component though.

I'll be happy to see it from font of power, but I'll still be playing spell only cthun mage.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

RatHat posted:

Diamonds cards are what golden cards should've been from the start.

Diamond cards don't come from packs.

Ahh, I didn't type what I meant clearly.

Because the first diamond card will ALWAYS be Blademaster Sakuro, if you don't already have that card when you purchase a pass and unlock it, then you've been able to make sure you get Blademaster Sakuro as one of your legendaries - and Diamond still counts for bad luck protection, so you won't unpack a regular or golden Sakuro until you have every other legendary. It does make it a little easier to complete the set as it's a forced legendary, but ONLY IF you haven't already unpacked a Sakuro!

Diamond Brukan DOESN'T offer the same 'bonus' because the unlock is that you have every other legendary, so it doesn't have the same incentive. I guess it's worth 400/1600 dust when you get it because you can melt down your non diamond?

RatHat posted:

Not bad, especially since the 0 mana Murloc is in the core set. Also really scary in wild with Toxfin.

This is pretty good. And yeah, if you slam poisonous on this, it's pretty much just a win.

... think I'm gonna have to try a full-on Wild freeze mage now. I'm pretty sure there's more than enough ways to ensure the opponent's board never, ever moves at this rate and throw damage straight to face.

Still probably lose to big priest though!

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 19, 2021

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

great big cardboard tube posted:

I've been extremely casually playing battlegrounds but haven't touched constructed in close to a year.

Thinking of coming back in with the new core set shaking everything up, I was considering buying the pass or maybe even a pre-order to catch up on cards but then I remembered I've played off and on since launch and never dusted anything except nerfed cards or extras with the dust button.

Looking through my wild collection I can get well over 30k just by dusting golden cards that I already have the non-golden versions of... Don't think I'll be spending anything.

If you only plan to play Standard, you can dust your entire Classic set as this'll no longer be playable outside of Wild. The introduction of the Core set is the biggest dust windfall for Standard only players since rotations began. F2P Standard-only stays winning.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

goferchan posted:

Yeah but it sounds not really like Slay The Spire. Apparently there's a a lot of metaprogression between runs, there's a PVE element, and then there's a PVP element where you're taking your fully-powered up mercenaries into battle with other player's mercenaries. Very curious about it.

Yeah, they've said already it's not a deckbuilder at all, so the only thing really pointing to Slay the Spire at all is the map. Regis had a video where he was speculating that it's probably more like Raid: Shadow Legends (ugh), where you're fighting with a few characters that have a few abilities each and you level up those abilities over runs.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

:effort:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Too bad Risky Skipper is rotating out.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
animated berserker and death revenant's time to shine, in wild

(i wish those cards were better, the animated energy armor thing was cool as hell)

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Finicky card to use well in the deck it would naturally fit (aggro). Just a value card in control decks. I think it fits in that space of a card that on the face of it is "good" but hard to fit in to the top 30 cards of any archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I think I just heard the sound of every Kingsbane Rogue having an orgasm. Not sure how good it'll be in standard but seems decent. No weapons from the new set yet but Assassin's Blade and Self Sharpening sword are in and that might make Control Rogue a thing?