Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

A good poster posted:

What are the odds Woolie and V don't even get to Yokohama before their 13 hours of paid gameplay time in Yakuza Like a Dragon are up?

nah, they in there. But I'm doubting they'll get the full party. At best they'll end just as 4 joins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Neo_Crimson posted:

Woolie trying desperately to railroad Reggie into the same Dex Regen build he had on his own play-through, even though Reggie said repeatedly he wants to be a wizard, is probably the biggest flaw of that LP yeah.

That's really lovely. I never played any of the Soulsborne games, but don't they allow for wizards and such? Should've let Reggie be the class he wanted to be and then work around that instead.

A good poster posted:

What are the odds Woolie and V don't even get to Yokohama before their 13 hours of paid gameplay time in Yakuza Like a Dragon are up?

What's this about?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

theCalamity posted:

That's really lovely. I never played any of the Soulsborne games, but don't they allow for wizards and such? Should've let Reggie be the class he wanted to be and then work around that instead.
My hot take is that if Woolie let Reggie go wild on putting his points wherever, the LP would have been miserable. I kind of feel like magic builds in Souls can be really dependent on knowing what you're doing, and also to a degree, it feels like Reggie was spreading himself thin at times. Like from observation, it seems like Reggie would have a hard time doing magic unless he went hard into it, since he was going OOM just using a few spells. In that sense, magic can be a bit of a crutch since you'll kill plenty without really having to deal with it, but then when you're OOM, you have little practice with melee.

theCalamity posted:

What's this about?
Woolie is being sponsored to play Yakuza 7 for 13 hours. The requirement isn't to hit some specific event, just to spend 13 hours playing. What I'm taking away is that there's a second location you go to in the game, but it's entirely possible Woolie won't make it there in the 13 hours if they get sidetracked a bunch.

e: The thing that's bugging me about the Demons' Souls LP is when Woolie is being a bit too cute/obtuse about things in the endgame. I don't fully get why he's being so obtuse about Yurt / not giving more hints, but I guess it doesn't really matter for Reggie's playthrough.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 18, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I think Demon's is a better candidate for a magic-focused first playthrough than the other souls games, but if you go magic, you've gotta go hard- int, magic, end/vit, and that's basically it. And Reggie was never going be allowed to play any way other than The Woolie Way, no matter how loving insane that way was.

And yeah, the "hints" were obnoxious as hell. Either articulately say something, or don't say anything, don't constantly make half-assed cryptic remarks that only make sense to Woolie.

Oxyclean posted:

Woolie is being sponsored to play Yakuza 7 for 13 hours. The requirement isn't to hit some specific event, just to spend 13 hours playing. What I'm taking away is that there's a second location you go to in the game, but it's entirely possible Woolie won't make it there in the 13 hours if they get sidetracked a bunch.

Weirdly enough this didn't bug me as much as anything in souls, even though it was way more egregious, but yeah- they basically spent 8-10 hours in a tutorial zone. Yokohama's the main gameplay area, and it looks like they might get 2-3 hours there before the timer expires.

Edit: I'm listening to the last episode now, and Woolie can gently caress off. It's infuriating to hear him go "Congrats Reggie- you played your way" after 60 hours of "No Reggie, the correct way to play magic is with a meat clever and no endurance or faith. No Reggie, shields are worthless. No Reggie, stop using the weapons you like and go back to using the weapon I like."

Omi no Kami fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 18, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

It sucks hugely that they're doing LAD because of some sponsored thing and not just because it's an amazingly fun game, they better pick it back up I guess like, post-0 or something.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I can only imagine they'll go back to it way down the line, it's just a matter of how far down said line that is.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Y’all remember the time Woolie got blown out at Sony’s EVO?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

It sucks hugely that they're doing LAD because of some sponsored thing and not just because it's an amazingly fun game, they better pick it back up I guess like, post-0 or something.

Woolie's plan was to go through All Yakuza and get to LAD when he got to it

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Patware posted:

Woolie's plan was to go through All Yakuza and get to LAD when he got to it

I'm excited for him to continue LAD in 2025.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm excited for him to continue LAD in 2025.

That's goddamn generous of you that you think it's that soon

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Tae posted:

That's goddamn generous of you that you think it's that soon

Which will come first - Woolie coming back to LAD, or Final Fantasy 7 Remake being fully completed and released? :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

My hot take is that if Woolie let Reggie go wild on putting his points wherever, the LP would have been miserable. I kind of feel like magic builds in Souls can be really dependent on knowing what you're doing, and also to a degree, it feels like Reggie was spreading himself thin at times. Like from observation, it seems like Reggie would have a hard time doing magic unless he went hard into it, since he was going OOM just using a few spells. In that sense, magic can be a bit of a crutch since you'll kill plenty without really having to deal with it, but then when you're OOM, you have little practice with melee.
It was literally Woolie's fault that Reggie was spreading the points thin, he kept saying it didn't matter where Reggie put his points and telling him to spread them so he could use whatever!

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Magic was busted as gently caress in Demon's Souls and progressively got worse in every release because people were big babies and complained it was too easy. I run wizards every game and it is pretty disheartening, but it was funny running around Bloodborne shooting magic snotrockets at every boss. Dark Souls 3 magic was miserable and when I fought Dark Eater Midir I basically had to just had to lure him into magic fart clouds for 15 minutes straight while tanking him with magic shield. Reggie should have just rolled a royal and annihilated everything with magic missiles from 100 feet away while the chat and Woolie melted down.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

How in the world did magic get worse in 2 when you could be instagibbing everything with the humanity magic while wearing havels. Magic is boring as hell though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Which will come first - Woolie coming back to LAD, or Final Fantasy 7 Remake being fully completed and released? :v:

If Woolie plays games a quarter as slowly as you guys make it sound, he will get to Yakuza 7 by 2046.

Meanwhile Nomura will be retired for four years and still be getting blamed for every decision in Square Enix over the last 70 years.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

How in the world did magic get worse in 2 when you could be instagibbing everything with the humanity magic while wearing havels. Magic is boring as hell though.

Magic build Crystal Soul Spears and faith build Lightning Spears were like hurling nuclear bombs at bosses in 1. It's been a while since I've played 2, but I remember there being a lot of bosses that magic was straight garbage against like the Fume Knight and Smelter Demons. Pyro was completely nerfed in 2 also, and Hexes just felt like recolored soul magic.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lightning was good in 2 at launch, then got nerfed every patch and DS2 got a *lot of patches* if you catch my drift.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

Magic build Crystal Soul Spears and faith build Lightning Spears were like hurling nuclear bombs at bosses in 1. It's been a while since I've played 2, but I remember there being a lot of bosses that magic was straight garbage against like the Fume Knight and Smelter Demons. Pyro was completely nerfed in 2 also, and Hexes just felt like recolored soul magic.

Faith build? 20 faith and a Thorolund talisman. Those things are meaty right out of the gate. You only need more faith if you want to farm sunbros and get your second clip, which you really don't need at all.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Magic was busted as gently caress in Demon's Souls and progressively got worse in every release because people were big babies and complained it was too easy. I run wizards every game and it is pretty disheartening, but it was funny running around Bloodborne shooting magic snotrockets at every boss. Dark Souls 3 magic was miserable and when I fought Dark Eater Midir I basically had to just had to lure him into magic fart clouds for 15 minutes straight while tanking him with magic shield. Reggie should have just rolled a royal and annihilated everything with magic missiles from 100 feet away while the chat and Woolie melted down.

tbf, Midir's a miserable fight no matter the build.

I did a magic build in DS2 last year, and my experience was that magic worked great in the early game, but was terrible in the late game to the point where I was hardly using my spells against some bosses

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Honestly, I think Woolie will return to LAD shortly after 0.

Here's the timeline in my head. He does one or two more sessions of LAD. April through June he finishes 0 (I forget how far he's in, but alas) July through September he does Kiwami since everyone will be telling him to mainline it. People will tell him Kiwami 2 is super great, but he can't stop thinking about how *Real* LAD was, and something (chat telling him he should do it all in order, Pat saying he can totally handle the spoilers involved, V strangling him until Woolie finally lets them go back, idk) pushes him to just jump back to LAD and that's the rest of 2021 and a bunch of 2022.

Then Woolie will shelf Yakuza until Yakuza 8 gets announced, and you'd think he would jump in to Kiwami 2 after the announcement, but the timing will be far dumber and there'll be at least 3 streams of Kiwami 2 after 8 comes out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hexes are busted in ds2

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Andrast posted:

Hexes are busted in ds2

They are and the most fun I had in that game was a Hex caster Roaring Halberd build (aside from Powerstanced Greatswords of course. :madmax:)

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

hex builds kicked rear end, dark souls 2 rules

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

(aside from Powerstanced Greatswords of course. :madmax:)

I will die on the hill of "You should've just brought power stance back" in regards to DS3, most of the weapon skills were boring nothing, power stance was awesome because it often made good weapons better and bad/gimmick weapons good.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The single craziest thing Pat said in DS3 was that double weapons were better than powerstancing. Well, that and that Miyazaki was just constantly looking to own the DS2 devs.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DS2 being the only one that got NG+ right too. Remix stuff a bit, change some enemies around, put the giant spider in that canyon area, live a little in NG+.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Getting to Yokohama in Like a Dragon doesn't take much. The problem is that the beginning of the game is aggressive with its cutscenes. It's genuinely on the level of the intro of a Persona game. I have 6 hours logged into LaD, and I only just now properly got to walk around Yokohama for the first time. You really can't fiddle around much in the early game either, as you don't really earn a ton of money to have fun. So Woolie will likely get a good chunk of whatever you can call progress in this game.

The story is interesting, and I have to say that it's actually genuinely funny at parts. I do feel like there was just an hour of full-motion cutscenes that I feel could have played as flashbacks later on. I like Yakuza games a lot and LaD seems like it'll eventually get fun, but I've been bored to tears by the intro of the game so far.

And turning Reggie away from magic wasn't necessarily the worst idea. The trap that lots of Souls newbies get into is treating it like lots of other RPGs, thinking they'll be spamming chain lightning or fireballs after a few levels. Then when they realize that's not the case, they tend to drop the game. It was kind of a dumb idea to tell Reggie that his internalization of the mechanics was wrong, but I don't think the playthrough has really suffered from it.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 19, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well he did it, he hopped into factorio

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/956039055

not sure how he took it, I've not watched it yet, but I'm guessing it was overwhelming for him.

I went in almost totally blind and the tutorials were okay to begin with but now I'm at the point where I can make gold science juice and hoo boy, I think everything I've built up until now is basically step 1 in a 10 step process. I'm about to start making lubricant so I can build robots and power armor for my dude, and the biter colonies are evolving rapidly and attacking my outposts with huge biters and spitters. their pathing and AI isn't entirely great so it's pretty easy to cheese them if I'm nearby, but they keep spawning new biter bases all over the place that I'm having to clean up.

my game, after a short game on peaceful before I restarted so I had any threat at all from the biters, started out with this small base with a biter colony so close that I had the bastards on my rear end almost from the word go:

ran out of resources and had to expand outwards and built a few train stations:

the biter bases(bright red splotches all over the map, not the red cloud of pollution surrounding my bases) are increasing surprisingly fast, I've started putting up gun emplacements over the ruins of every biter base I destroy so they don't come right back:

my science merry go round is very colorful with the different types of science juice, it's not efficient at all but even after learning the "right" way to make a research area I'm gonna leave it like this because I like how it looks

game's real good and absurdly deep, I wager I'm probably a third or a quarter of the way through, and 50 hours in. I'm getting to the point where the stuff I have an entire base designed just to produce that one item is now a single ingredient of which like a dozen are required for each of the next tier of item, and my conveyor belts are spaghetti nonsense

it's a surprisingly zen experience. the biters are an ever-present threat, but the whole process of building bases is a pretty chill one. if you've not given the game a shot I recommend it. It also looks really nice, you can zoom all the way in and everything is pretty detailed, it's kinda crazy how much is going on simultaneously and it doesn't chug. there's gotta be hundreds of thousands of individual entities moving around at the same time in my game and there's no slowdown whatsoever.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Captain Invictus posted:

well he did it, he hopped into factorio

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/956039055

not sure how he took it, I've not watched it yet, but I'm guessing it was overwhelming for him.
I think it's more lack of structure or clear cut goals that does Pat's head in, because then he just starts pointlessly hoarding. I think he liked Satisfactory because you had the complex resource/base management, but with a clear 'project timeline' so to speak.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I do that too, I have a copper production line that has like 30,000 copper plates in crates and another place with huge amounts of circuit boards in crates, but I can eventually set it up to siphon off the plates/circuits to be used somewhere else at least so it's not necessarily pointless to amass resources.

if he's just shoving basic ore in a box then yeah that's not really useful

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I know you're supposed to figure the game out on your own, but for me everything changed when I learned about The Main Bus

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh my God I knew he was going to say rats can't swim right before he said it

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

my science merry go round is very colorful with the different types of science juice, it's not efficient at all but even after learning the "right" way to make a research area I'm gonna leave it like this because I like how it looks

This image caused me to gain insight, it's beautiful in its horror.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kazzah posted:

I know you're supposed to figure the game out on your own, but for me everything changed when I learned about The Main Bus

Likewise, but at the same time it seems super good to have a period before you get clued into it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The fact that there are huge swathes of Arkham Asylum that has to be muted suggests it maybe wasn't the best game to stream.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

The fact that there are huge swathes of Arkham Asylum that has to be muted suggests it maybe wasn't the best game to stream.

Did they record the second session before the first started going up on YouTube? I'm hoping that they just turn down the music soon so we can stop dealing with all of these muted segments

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
It is still really bizarre to me that there is music that'd get muted in Asylum, I can only assume it's just WB having a stick up their rear end for whatever reason.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Woolie getting tilted and salty at Arkham's tutorial for not agreeing with him about how to play the game is peak Woolie. Like holy gently caress man, that game is literal button mashing, it's not FGC rocket science.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Chat has explained how to beat the knife enemies multiple times, and multiple times, he's acted like he invented the solution himself, then immediately ate poo poo because he got it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Woolie getting tilted and salty at Arkham's tutorial for not agreeing with him about how to play the game is peak Woolie. Like holy gently caress man, that game is literal button mashing, it's not FGC rocket science.

Nah, it's a rhythm game disguised as a beat-em-up.