Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hatty posted:

I think credit card payments were only disable in Europe so Nintendo could dodge some new legislation.

Yeah the EU enacted stricter checks when purchasing stuff online so rather than do anything about it Nintendo just said you can't use cards anymore lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Detective No. 27 posted:

Last week, I ordered a Japanese New 3DS from ebay which I plan on installing CFW to. But I'm also working on getting a complete 3DS library so I'm a bit of an outlier.

You're absolutely not an outlier on ordering 3DS just to install cfw. It's either that, or parents looking for a cheap distraction for the kids.

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

Been playing Hotel Dusk on my 3ds; really solid game. Recommend not taking a large gap between play sessions cause you might miss important info :)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are Japanese non-XL systems going for reasonable prices? Is it possible to then flash NA firmware to them and do a system transfer?

I paid $140 for it. I am pretty sure it's possible to flash NA firmware to it but seems too risky to me.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

RadicalTranslation posted:

Been playing Hotel Dusk on my 3ds; really solid game. Recommend not taking a large gap between play sessions cause you might miss important info :)

There’s a puzzle that involves tilting the DS so the colors on the screen get all weird and a secret message appears. I’m pretty sure this won’t work on 3DS screens since they don’t have that sucky view angle original DS had.

Have you hit that puzzle yet and did it work?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I have always wondered if someone tested that puzzle in every DS, DSi and 3DS model to confirm in which ones it works. Here's one that straight up wouldn't work 100% confirmed: a 2DS, the one with no hinge.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Someone finally found the only way a TN screen is better than an IPS.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

I have always wondered if someone tested that puzzle in every DS, DSi and 3DS model to confirm in which ones it works. Here's one that straight up wouldn't work 100% confirmed: a 2DS, the one with no hinge.

As far as a DS game is concerned, doesn’t putting the 2DS to sleep count as “closing the lid” to the game? It sucks cuz it won’t really make any logical sense like lid-closing does in those situations but at least you shouldnt be trapped?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

That's another puzzle :v:

do check out Last Window if you beat the game op

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone have a link to the CFW thread. I've got a question to throw in there. Thanks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone have a link to the CFW thread. I've got a question to throw in there. Thanks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thanks

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Man, Layton vs Phoenix Wright is pretty good. Too bad physical copies are so expensive.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Ryuga Death posted:

Man, Layton vs Phoenix Wright is pretty good. Too bad physical copies are so expensive.

Whoops, shouldn't have sold that, oh well. I love Phoenix Wright except for the trial gameplay which is only the central and perhaps most important element of the game. Thank god for longplays and let's plays.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Turbinosamente posted:

Whoops, shouldn't have sold that, oh well. I love Phoenix Wright except for the trial gameplay which is only the central and perhaps most important element of the game. Thank god for longplays and let's plays.

:same:

The trials are interesting but gently caress the obtuseness of figuring out what and when to present something.

"phoenix, there's got to be a contradiction in their testimony!"

"So then I was taking a poo poo but we were out of toilet paper"

OBJECTION

Present > clean underwear.

Sigh.

If only they were that obvious.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Good, I'm not the only one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Edgeworth: *waggles finger "You forget, this bathroom has a newfangled bidet with butt blow dryer"

**Bidet added to case file

Judge: "please amend your statement"

Obviously guilty defendent: "Yeah, so we didn't have any toilet paper but I washed my rear end with the bidet and then blow dried it, too!"

OBJECTION

"The power was out that day!"

Present evidence > Newspaper clipping about citywide power outage

Derp derp derp.

I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing this for. Sorry.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

Edgeworth: *waggles finger "You forget, this bathroom has a newfangled bidet with butt blow dryer"

**Bidet added to case file

Judge: "please amend your statement"

Obviously guilty defendent: "Yeah, so we didn't have any toilet paper but I washed my rear end with the bidet and then blow dried it, too!"

OBJECTION

"The power was out that day!"

Present evidence > Newspaper clipping about citywide power outage

Derp derp derp.

I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing this for. Sorry.

Literal shitposting, by the looks of it :v:.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

At least post-Apollo Justice the characters just tell you what to select

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The thing with Layton vs Phoenix is the gimmick is they have 4 witnesses on the stand at once and you have to pit them against each other in addition to the evidence. I found it a bit too much.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

The thing with Layton vs Phoenix is the gimmick is they have 4 witnesses on the stand at once and you have to pit them against each other in addition to the evidence. I found it a bit too much.

I liked it, and they evolved and streamlined the concept nicely in The Great Ace Attorney, which I think might be my favorite game in the entire series, or top 2 or 3 at least.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It has the worst final case in any Ace Attorney game and it really drags down most of the overall experience.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Yeah that last case of “Layton shows up and just dumps all the answers on you and solves it for Phoenix” was such a wet fart after the buildup.

Like yeah that’s how professor Layton would do it but this isn’t just his game goddamnit.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Phoenix Wright and Layton feel like franchises that should go together like peanut butter and chocolate but it doesn't quite work. Phoenix's entire shtick is a beleaguered underdog bluffing by the seat of his pants until he manages to unravel a murder, while Layton is this polite unruffled gentleman who unveils a mystery that looked supernatural but has a mundane answer 100x dumber than any Phoenix Wright murder solution*.

In practise this just means Phoenix spends most of the game looking like a loser until Layton is like "BTW I solved the mystery but I'll make you fight me in court for some reason" and 1) the solution is even dumber than what you're thinking, 2) why 3) I miss Edgeworth

*Spoilers for the first three Layton games:

• Everyone in this town is really weird, and have been vanishing mysteriously
  • Solution: they're all robots (they don't know they're robots) and the repair guy has a busted leg and hasn't been able to do his weekly tune-ups

• Everyone in town is really weird and the dude in the castle turned into a vampire fifty years ago when they dug up Pandora's Box in the mines
  • Everyone is high on coal mine fumes, the 'vampire' is wrinkly and decrepit

• We've time-travelled 10 years into the future and we're teamed up with my now-adult sidekick against evil future me
  • Someone built a replica of London and then hired hundreds of people to pretend they're in the future so he could trick some scientists into building a time machine, but it's not a time machine its an evil robot.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Eeesh those endings. Good thing I had no patience to wait for the second and third games when younger because I thought the first game ending was super dumb. Good to know they didn't really improve.

Anybody else going back though and catching up on 3DS games? I bought a poo poo ton of them along with retro games back in the day and am finally sitting down and actually playing them. Which means I have to face that fact that sometime in 2016 I saw Senran Kagura 2 used on a shelf at Gamestop and decided to buy it to see what all the controversy was about. I'm in part 2 of apparently 5 and I have decided that the critics were right. Ignoring the main issue of the game still leaves a pretty lovely beatemup. Any one who says they're playing this for the game play is probably lying because even Code of Princess was better than this.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I plan on going back to get through some things soon. Mainly Fire Emblem Fates. Yes I know it sucks compared to Awakening and Three Houses but I still want to play it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I mean the stupid ridiculous endings are part of the fun of the series.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

I plan on going back to get through some things soon. Mainly Fire Emblem Fates. Yes I know it sucks compared to Awakening and Three Houses but I still want to play it.

The trick to enjoying Conquest and Revelations is to skip the story. The gameplay is still great.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, the first 3 Layton games are all great.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love the Layton games themselves but it felt Real Bad when applied to the Phoenix Wright formula.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Should I not be enjoying Layton vs Wright? So far, it's been good but I haven't made much progress. The first trilogy has an HD release on android thankfully and I assume Last Specter is going to get an HD re-release sometime down the road. I haven't made it very far in Curious Village though I have a few guesses as to what the ultimate mystery actually is. I got Miracle Mask but Azran Legacy physical copies are way too expensive compared to MM. I've also played and enjoyed the Phoenix Wright trilogy on steam.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Mar 20, 2021

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I liked Layton Wright but it’s certainly a lesser installment of both series.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Should I not be enjoying Layton vs Wright? So far, it's been good but I haven't made much progress. The first trilogy has an HD release on android thankfully and I assume Last Specter is going to get an HD re-release sometime down the road. I haven't made it very far in Curious Village though I have a few guesses as to what the ultimate mystery actually is. I got Miracle Mask but Azran Legacy physical copies are way too expensive compared to MM. I've also played and enjoyed the Phoenix Wright trilogy on steam.

It mainly drops the ball in the last case, the rest is pretty good.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Personally, I love the last case of Layton vs. Wright because it gets the very important parts voice acted. And hearing someone deliver those lines straight-faced is extremely funny.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Didn't realise there was an active 3DS thread in games!

I bought my first 3DS (an old XL) last year and things have kinda snowballed from there. I've since bought a few 3DS (and new 2DS's) mostly to get the accompanying games, then sold the systems onward on eBay. I am long out of the emulation/CFW game and don't really want to be back in it, but getting tempted as I can't find a case that'll actually hold the system + all the carts now.

At the moment I've got two new 3DS XL's (one is waiting for me to work up the nerve to attempt a full shell transplant, then being resold) and a 2DS XL that I swore I was going to sell but turned out to be too nice. I've been playing the crap out of Carcassone on it - one of the few games on the R4 card that actually appealed to me. I wish they'd somehow managed to get the 3DS XL into the same form/weight factor as I definitely prefer the feel and heft of it.

On the 3DS I've mainly been playing Mario 3D Land, which is like having a 3D World from the WiiU in my pocket (awesome, in other words), and it's such a great implementation of the 3D effect. Mostly the 3DS lives on my desk to play during load/wait times for games, or just to give me a little 10-15 minute break from work.

Might be picking up a new 3DS (non XL) tomorrow after work depending on if the seller gets back to me. They are a good deal less common than the new XL and I've had my eye out for a cheapish one for a while - hoping it'll give the pocketability of the n2DSXL but with 3D. Having used the second gen systems I definitely can't go back to the face tracking on the original 3DS.

Last Celebration posted:

Anyone know a good source for n3DS XL she’ll replacements? Kinda hosed up the back one and I’d rather not rely on tape forever.

From a while back, but AliExpress, especially if you want something not sold in your region. Obviously there's usually a 6-8 week wait involved (some sellers do have domestic warehouses, but it's not common in my experience) but prices will be cheaper than eBay in most cases. Sifting through all the chaff is annoying as hell though.

The quality on all the cases/parts I've bought on there so far has been good - the only fault I've noticed is what appears to be some overspray on a Pikachu n3DS XL shell replacement kit, but it's internal so doesn't actually matter. Everything else has been indistinguishable from OEM as far as I can tell.

Speaking of Ali Express, this will probably not impress any of you in North America, but I swapped over the outer top shell on a Metallic Blue Australian n3DS XL for an AliExpress Galaxy shell. From pictures, it seems like the Galaxy version (that we never got) is the same as our Metallic Blue but with the different faceplate. NA never got the Metallic Blue for probably that same reason.

I got this one as part of a package deal (someone's MonHun IV setup - two XLs and 2 Monster Hunter carts), since it's a TN I decided it was the one to go. The Galaxy shell was a cheap and low-effort value add that seems to be paying off, it rocketed up to AUD$200 in the first two days of bidding, which is already more than I thought it might go for. It ends tonight so still hoping for some last minute irrationality.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

https://3ds.hacks.guide

Hacking a 3ds is almost trivial. Even if you don't want to muck about with emulators it gives you the tools to dump your own carts and back up saves and other such nifty things. Just be aware that dumping and installing a game is not a quick process, have something else to do while you do it.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Detective No. 27 posted:

The trick to enjoying Conquest and Revelations is to skip the story. The gameplay is still great.

You can't stress this enough. Conquest in particular has some of the best gameplay in the series, it's a shame it's buried in an abysmal story.

I miss Path of Radiance.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I have a pretty high tolerance for bad video game stories so I should have a good time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

I have a pretty high tolerance for bad video game stories so I should have a good time.

It's unbelievably stupid.

Spoilers for stupidity:

Corrin and his siblings find out that thier evil king dad is an imposter and have to conquer the other kingdom because they have a chair that exposes a person's true form when they sit on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I've consigned the titty ninja game to the out stack since it broke my circle pad again, and the game is still pretty terrible. I've glued the pad back together with two part epoxy this time and moved on to River City Tokyo Rumble which is much better. Still entirely deserving of its 6/10 score, enjoyment depends on how much you liked River City Ransom and need an updated, portable, version.