Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Didn’t one of the people who contributed to that project write a long thing all about how bad it would be if future societies were matriarchal and treated men like second-class citizens and abandoned science and math because they blamed men and rationality for the collapse of the previous civilization and the origin of nuclear waste?

I bet these days that guy has a youtube channel or a podcast about the glory of western civilization and video games.

So... Zardoz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Are we supposed to know who these people are? I can't follow any of your posts because it seems like there's a shitload of missing exposition.

Yeah whatever all this is seems just as batty as a lot of the stuff we've seen come out of the Q-krew.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Lychnis posted:

I haven't. A hell of a lot of them start out that way, though.

Given that purchasing the land or house is one of the big early hurdles to making an IC work, usually if a group is prone to falling under the sway of some charismatic rear end in a top hat, it's going to be right before the "Now we need a whole lot of money" hump. Strangely enough, charismatic assholes tend to really step up their recruitment drives just before there's a pressing need for a lotta capital. Funny, how that works.

But I'm probably being unfair here. There are plenty of religious communes that don't follow the "some charismatic rear end in a top hat gathers up a lot of attractive young women he wants to gently caress, and a bunch of other idealistic kids with trust funds he can drain" model. I've just seen enough of those to be very, well, cautious about ICs that are also new churches.

Of course, there are plenty of non-new-cult-ish religious communities. Someone I went to high school with but never really knew all that well was living with her husband and kids on a Mormon commune the last time I spoke with her. (The more mainstream version of the LDS, not the polygamous sect.) She seemed really happy with it, and I didn't get any creepy vibes from anything she was saying. And naturally, Catholics and Buddhists and probably plenty of other older religions still have their monastic communities running strong.

Uglycat probably has more experience with spiritual and religious ICs than I do. I'm pretty secular, so tend to find myself communicating more with other similarly-secular groups.

Who? Who is Sky? Who are any of these people? Should we be familiar with what you're discussing?

My mom does this thing where she'll start in the middle of a story like you know what she's talking about. You're doing that. And frankly, I don't have a clue what you're saying.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Giggle Goose posted:

Yeah whatever all this is seems just as batty as a lot of the stuff we've seen come out of the Q-krew.

I thought he was quoting a Redditt post or an email?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Who? Who is Sky? Who are any of these people? Should we be familiar with what you're discussing?

My mom does this thing where she'll start in the middle of a story like you know what she's talking about. You're doing that. And frankly, I don't have a clue what you're saying.

Uglycat lives in a weird cult commune and some posters are familiar enough with the ins and outs to follow it as if they too lived in the cult.

So they post insane poo poo.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Are we supposed to know who these people are? I can't follow any of your posts because it seems like there's a shitload of missing exposition.

poor comprehension on your part isn't anyone else's problem

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Wow, you're a loving idiot.

fake edit: don't worry, that wasn't actually an insult, you just lack the comprehension.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 18, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Relevant Tangent posted:

Captain Monkey posted:

Uglycat lives in a weird cult commune and some posters are familiar enough with the ins and outs to follow it as if they too lived in the cult.

So they post insane poo poo.

lol

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Relevant Tangent posted:

Joe did that, remember? You said it was rude at the time but then Buck laughed a bit and it was cool. How's Jennifer and the baby?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Relevant Tangent posted:

quote:

I think Edith works for Lisa Clapier. Not sure. Maybe Scott Pressler. I embarassed her on her live, she blocked me, and then it was all downhill for her. But yeah, the SJWs and True Crime folk - the actual real humans that aren't sockpuppets - just bailed and quit caring about it as soon as ICE and CPB were called, leaving Edith and her network visible. Then they started slandering rainbow everywhere. Then, when that failed miserably and they completely lost control of the narrative, that troll network went dark, apart from exploiting the robocop to get anyone and everyone using that hashtag just... shut down completely.

Sure. All of that makes sense. Everyone definitely knows who those people are and what "slandering rainbow" and "exploiting the robocop" means.

I also have a lot of trouble seeing what any of this loony poo poo has to do with QAnon, which is the point of this thread, not "weird communes full of robocop (??) and people who kill cats" or whatever the gently caress he's talking about.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Relevant Tangent posted:

I’ve been lurking and reading this thread for months, and I had no drat idea what most of those posts were about beyond dueling communes or something.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
It's malignant Prester Jane disease. Really sad to watch.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Sure. All of that makes sense. Everyone definitely knows who those people are and what "slandering rainbow" and "exploiting the robocop" means.

Got to say, "Slandering Rainbow" would be a hell of a username. Maybe with a LeVar avatar.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I also have a lot of trouble seeing what any of this loony poo poo has to do with QAnon, which is the point of this thread, not "weird communes full of robocop (??) and people who kill cats" or whatever the gently caress he's talking about.

What I gather is that a few people at the commune he hung out at are getting way into Qanon and he's trying to get everyone there to make those people leave, or at least ignore their craziness. That's more or less in the spirit of the thread where other people have said "My mom got into Qanon but I talked to her and got her to realize it's crazy" and stuff. It's just instead of saying "my high school buddy" or "my aunt" he's namedropping people like we're supposed to know who they are.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It is I, your god, AVENGING RAINBOW!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Slandering rainbow => Slandering the Rainbow Gathering, a commune meet-up. Uglycat has talked about it before.

Exploiting robocop -> Abusing automated moderation

Might I suggest lurking more

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wouldn’t eat a cat that I knew personally.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm a long time lurker and I can confirm I'm generally lost during the hippie commune newsletter posts.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Xand_Man posted:

Slandering rainbow => Slandering the Rainbow Gathering, a commune meet-up. Uglycat has talked about it before.

Imagine just telling people when asked instead of being a smug jerk

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Cheen posted:

Imagine just telling people when asked instead of being a smug jerk

That said, I got no interest in slapfighting so let's drop it

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Xand_Man posted:

lol gtfo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xand_Man posted:

That said, I got no interest in slapfighting so let's drop it
sure seemed like you had an interest

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Can you really not figure that out from context? Do you just need poo poo spoon fed to you?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Relevant Tangent posted:

Can you really not figure that out from context? Do you just need poo poo spoon fed to you?

No, and yes. I come to this thread to read about Qanon crazies, not decipher who Patrick is and why he's killing cats and what that has to do with Qanon.

And I'm clearly not the only one, so maybe you could tone down the condescension a bit.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
lol some guys are being real jerks about their confusing posting here IMO

For what it’s worth I also did not fully follow uglycats posts and thought they were copy pastes because of the lack of context

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Let's be clear, it's a subject I'm down to learn about. How QAnon is infiltrating a lot of these fringe groups with weak connections to mainstream media and and society is just as important as how an engineer buddy from college is sharing concerned posts about how hundreds of thousands of children go missing every year. But I'm not getting great context for the information being provided.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 19, 2021

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Got to say, "Slandering Rainbow" would be a hell of a username. Maybe with a LeVar avatar.

Take a look,
That guys a crook
Slandering Rainbow

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Morrow posted:

Let's be clear, it's a subject I'm down to learn about. How QAnon is infiltrating a lot of these fringe groups with weak connections to mainstream media and and society is just as important as how an engineer buddy from college is sharing concerned posts about how hundreds of thousands of children go missing every year. But I'm not getting great context for the information being provided.

Definitely. If presented as a narrative that provides background and context on the people and places involved it could be very interesting, instead of its current disjointed "story told by an elderly relative" form.

It's also harder to weave that kind of narrative when it doesn't involve any easily Googled touchstones. If the thread is talking about Lin Wood and I know nothing about Lin Wood, I can get myself up to speed real fast. I can't do that with the tales of Rel and Patrick and Ethel.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The irony of Prester Jane preaching about insular cults radicalizing is she ended up making her own weird insular cult.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I could never judge her too harshly because she had some real struggles and was trying her best. Efame was probably a real mixed bag for her at that point in her journey.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I could never judge her too harshly because she had some real struggles and was trying her best. Efame was probably a real mixed bag for her at that point in her journey.

This basically. It makes all the people that run in screaming about how awful she is look like mean spirited assholes. Especially when it’s more or less out of the blue or in response to a single mention of a term in an otherwise presterless thread.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It wasn't criticism of her as a person, just the monster she inadvertently created.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

She created these insane weirdo posters? Who gives a gently caress about PJ? This poo poo is weird and I'm not having fun!

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Captain Monkey posted:

This basically. It makes all the people that run in screaming about how awful she is look like mean spirited assholes. Especially when it’s more or less out of the blue or in response to a single mention of a term in an otherwise presterless thread.

It's a bummer because Authoritarian research is actually fascinating but it's hard to discuss it on SA; Both because you have to disentangle it from her theories and also because it triggers a lot of knee-jerk responses to Prester

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
to be clear, qanon is an op

and it hides and conceals and obscures and occludes itself

edit: #8967galenrd should help any internet sleuths that want context or to put faces to names

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 19, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Uglycat posted:

to be clear, qanon is an op

and it hides and conceals and obscures and occludes itself

edit: #8967galenrd should help any internet sleuths that want context or to put faces to names

You have to have some concept of just how insane you sound. Right?

How almost identical to Qanon your posts read?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

I think we need to page Buckminster Fuller back to the thread

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Xand_Man posted:

I think we need to page Buckminster Fuller back to the thread

Maybe Q-anon is just one strain of a memetic virus that invariably spawns other strains of crazy.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

pseudanonymous posted:

Maybe Q-anon is just one strain of a memetic virus that invariably spawns other strains of crazy.

It's all ultimately the Narrative Fallacy: our species has a possibly terminal addiction to stories. To seeing faces in the static.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
*that Nietzsche quote*