Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Grem posted:

How come Aquaman keeps taking his shirt off before jumping in the water?

Jason Momoa is loving hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I thought the Snyder Version was pretty good, completely different movie. I thought Man of Steel was alright, had some stuff I liked and some stuff I didn't, and I didn't like Batman Vs Superman much. Like someone said earlier if this was the first movie for DC I'd be looking forward to the next one. The musical interludes were a little weird and probably could've been cut but the action sequences were really good. I've always liked the way Snyder does action. The characters are much more realized, even Steppenwolf.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I can't even imagine what those Flash scenes would be like on an IMAX screen. I think my eyes would achieve full climax.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I can't even imagine what those Flash scenes would be like on an IMAX screen. I think my eyes would achieve full climax.

If it ever gets an imax showing I'm immediately grabbing tickets.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

With the backlog of titles I do not think this will see a theater but never say never.

I wish had a 4k projector - gently caress it'd be amazing on that.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Roth posted:

Everything was shot and framed for the 4:3 aspect ratio.

16:9 from the theatrical

4:3 in the Snyder Cut

Dragon Ball forums circa 2007 flashbacks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, I finished it in one sitting, something I did not expect to do! I rather enjoyed it. I won't say I loved it or even that it was particularly good, but it was vastly better than the theatrical cut. I still think it was overly long, and the aspect ratio was weird. There was a lot of sound effects I thought were really bad (the boom tubes don't boom wtf), and the new CGI was definitely on a budget, but overall, not bad. There's some story aspects I'm not fond of (the Motherboxen being pointless McGuffins), but it was mostly consistent, at least.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I just realised they took out the only two good lines Steppenwolf had in the theatrical cut: "Why does everyone keep telling me that?" and "The Old Gods died..."

I think Steppenwolf is the only character who got off worse in this than in the theatrical cut. Audio design that makes me just...not want to hear him, action figure proportions, and boring dialogue. His defeat is way better though, but I think that's more of a win for the Justice League than it is for his character.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So is this jla movie just a cgi film or something like the polar express movie?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

So is this jla movie just a cgi film or something like the polar express movie?

No.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

I just realised they took out the only two good lines Steppenwolf had in the theatrical cut: "Why does everyone keep telling me that?" and "The Old Gods died..."

I think Steppenwolf is the only character who got off worse in this than in the theatrical cut. Audio design that makes me just...not want to hear him, action figure proportions, and boring dialogue. His defeat is way better though, but I think that's more of a win for the Justice League than it is for his character.

I really dug his return to Darkseid at the end. Whatever faults Snyder has, action direction is not one of them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Oh. It looks like it from all the stills and trailers. Less cgi in than the Irishman though.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

WELL. I just rented the movie for 15 pesos that's like 73 cents, I believe. Thanks Google Play and your crazy discount coupon :v:

Gonna give it a watch tomorrow.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mr Hootington posted:

Oh. It looks like it from all the stills and trailers. Less cgi in than the Irishman though.

Yeah reminded me of N64 cutscenes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's certainly better than the theatrical cut but I'm hard pressed to say I was *thrilled* by it. I'd actually go to bat for MoS being significantly better, though it's an improvement over BvS A big part of that is the awful pacing which the insane length is part of. Before it came out there were a ton of comparisons to television shows or similarly long movies and honestly it doesn't feel like either. They could easily have trimmed an hour off without losing anything of value. Even a half hour could have helped a lot.

The characters are largely better. Wonder Woman is probably the standout and Affleck still does great as Batman. Cyborg is better than the theatrical version but he still wasn't like... great? I feel bad saying that because I wanted it to be a genre-defining performance just to gently caress over WB's lovely behavior but at the end of the day it was just "pretty good." He may suffer a lot from comparisons to Doom Patrol which did a lot more with 1/100th of the budget. The rest of the cast is fine but Wonder Woman and Batman are the standouts. I just don't like Ezra Miller Flash no matter who directs him. Steppenwulf was different but not actually a good villain. He's bland and forgettable and while he's better than Whedon's version he's still just not able to really carry the weight he needs to.

I also admit I was just kind of... disappointed with the visuals? Like Snyder is good but I guess I'd built myself up for something more Kirby than it got. I guess I should stop expecting movies to actually capture that feel. Overall better than BvS, not as good as MoS, I'd watch a Snyder JL2 in a heartbeat but wouldn't watch a 4 hour long "Snyder Cut" JL2

That said it would have made a loving terrible miniseries so the movie was the better choice of the two.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 19, 2021

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I like Wonder Woman in these movies too, it's not as, heh, flashy as the Flash but I think she's cooler in action in Snyder's movies than her own.

JordanKai posted:

His defeat Is hillarious, how Wonder Woman just brutally and probably unnecessarily beheads him as he's flying through the portal for good measure.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My guess is that they felt like they should pad out the length of this project back when they were still thinking of making it a miniseries so that there was enough content for four separate episodes, and then ended up wanting to just keep all the longer scenes when they decided to release it as a full-length feature again.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I like Wonder Woman in these movies too, it's not as, heh, flashy as the Flash but I think she's cooler in action in Snyder's movies than her own.

This is something I forgot to mention in my big post, Wonder Woman *is* better in this that her own movies, especially that floaty weightless poo poo in '84.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I think it's only fair that Whedon get to make his own version of Justice League from the ground up, so we can decide once and for all who is the better cinematic visionary.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jamesman posted:

I think it's only fair that Whedon get to make his own version of Justice League from the ground up, so we can decide once and for all who is the better cinematic visionary.

I think it's fair that Whedon never works again.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Posting sans reading the thread to say I liked it!

And Leto almost made me quit the movie with like 3 mins left!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

BrianWilly posted:

My guess is that they felt like they should pad out the length of this project back when they were still thinking of making it a miniseries so that there was enough content for four separate episodes, and then ended up wanting to just keep all the longer scenes when they decided to release it as a full-length feature again.
Six episodes and an epilogue, the title cards are still there and you can even see the marks on the seek bar in HBO Max

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chill Penguin posted:

drat that kicked rear end. Consider me Snyderpilled— give that man the keys to the DC kingdom. I didn’t even like BvS or MoS. This hit the level of Endgame/IW for me. This is the Justice League movie we needed.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

Blocking bullets with her bracers at full speed and killing people who deserve to die. This is Wonder Woman.

Patty Jenkins wakes up sweating and doesn't know why

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

AngryBooch posted:

Blocking bullets with her bracers at full speed and killing people who deserve to die. This is Wonder Woman.

I laughed pretty hard at the ending. Superman clearly outmatches Steppenwolf and is keeping him down but he's not a killer, but whoops, looks like Aquaman and Wonder Woman are super okay with killing the gently caress out of people lmao

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Slept on it after watching. It was fine. pretty long and I was bored by the end. some of the cg was hilariously bad. cyborgs inner mind world was like watching a windows encarta fmv. Vastly prefer the Doom Patrol version of cyborg but I understand 2 seasons worth of character building vs a movie.

I can’t remember what I had thought after the theatrical version but i remember steppe wolf and cyborg both looking dumb and they look worse somehow. Might’ve been my stream but steppenwolfs voice sounded really muddy and mushy. Unpleasant.

the chemistry between the actors seems off and it made me tense until Jason Mamoa shows up. don’t recall any of the jokes landing for me.

Don’t know a lot about Darkseid outside cartoons/video games but his first appearance in the movie is him losing to a bunch of nobodies so he doesn’t seem like much of a threat. guess you can just stab him if you try hard enough.

The nightmare/vision that Bruce Wayne has at the end is cool though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

Posting sans reading the thread to say I liked it!

And Leto almost made me quit the movie with like 3 mins left!

what you didn't like gay jokes in tyool 2021?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I laughed pretty hard at the ending. Superman clearly outmatches Steppenwolf and is keeping him down but he's not a killer, but whoops, looks like Aquaman and Wonder Woman are super okay with killing the gently caress out of people lmao

Ha Aquaman also slams like a quarter bottle of whiskey in one go earlier in the movie.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Soonmot posted:

what you didn't like gay jokes in tyool 2021?

How is it a gay joke? Cause he said it to another man? Ask your SO for a reach around, it's fine.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's Batman and Joker not Batman and Catwoman!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Don’t know a lot about Darkseid outside cartoons/video games but his first appearance in the movie is him losing to a bunch of nobodies so he doesn’t seem like much of a threat. guess you can just stab him if you try hard enough.

Here's the thing about Darkseid from an old guy: this is like the Darkseid from the Legion of Super Heros from the 1980s comic. Set in the 30th century (or 31st? I forget) Darkseid shows up and basically goes from being a kind of Dr. Doom from space who gets owned in the 20th century to a loving murder god who is here to gently caress things up. It's explicitely explained because he's been building up his strength for 1000 years and is at the height of his power. In ways they set that up with the flashback with the war against everybody probably 1000 or more years ago. It really works well here.

The Legion of Super Heroes Darkseid Saga is worth a read.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

How is it a gay joke? Cause he said it to another man? Ask your SO for a reach around, it's fine.

because it's specifically the loving joker. lol batman bottoms for the guy who killed his sidekick how loving hillarious and/or progressive. get the gently caress out of here with that bullshit.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

So, just finished. For context I like MOS though feel some of the criticisms of it have merit, and I profoundly disliked BvS in both its forms. This however, I really liked. It's clumsy in parts, sloppy in others, but when it hits it hits hard and occasionally transcends into true greatness.

One thing that is clear is that the theatrical cut is an absolute embarrassment now with the full picture being clear. A lot of great stuff was taken out and a load of bollocks shoved in for reasons that are utterly bizarre. I think ego is the problem, I see no other reason why you'd remove perfectly fine and pleasantly understated comic beats rooted in character like the tea scene and then add in a tit pratfall straight out of Confessions of a Window Cleaner. Embarrassing. Occasionally there would be a moment I'd miss from the theatrical (I re-watched it a few days prior to this), such as Wonder Woman saying "yeah, it looked expensive" about Bruce's security, or the "just save one", but they were minor and few.

Also, the rhythms of the sequences and the action is so much better. The resurrection of Superman and the subsequent stealing of the Motherbox, which is truncated and rushed in the theatrical, here unfolds with a genuine sense of awe and dramatic import, with well-timed build ups to exquisitely staged crescendos. The arrival of Steppenwolf and his stealing of the motherbox in the theatrical makes all the heroes look like morons, but in this cut, not only does the Superman fight scene have more tension so their distraction is more warranted, the sequence with Cyborg's Dad and Steppenwolf is absolutely incredible. I have no idea why they would remove it. All the mechanics of the film making feel more purposeful and thoughtfully applied, the music was great (apart from in Bruce's meeting with Barry where it felt really off), and it just in general felt like a complete work.

All the characters acquit themselves better, but Cyborg and Flash are the most different. Again, I don't want to keep harping in on this but the theatrical cut was meant to add "humanity" but in this version, they actually allow the characters to breathe and actually show more humanity. Cyborg crying in the car, and the Flash being realistically scared and overwhelmed in the finale felt way more real to me. Cyborg especially, the whole sequence where he gives that lady 100,000 was imbued with a humanism and altruism that in all honesty I felt was lacking from previous two Snyder DCEU film's depiction of hard men doing hard things. Steppenwolf is improved as well. He's still not a great character, but little touches in the face animation/mo cap when he's talking with Darkseid give you a sense of who this guy is, especially in comparison to the theatrical. Steppenwolf is defined by his relationship with Darkseid and his desire to appease him, by removing Darkseid they removed all of Steppenwolf's character.

That said! The first half is in many ways a tough sit. For a while I was worried it was going to be another BvS. There was little forward momentum or escalating tension, which is a problem in a film about an upcoming alien invasion. There was too much time spent on lore and plot and not enough on characterization. BUT, as the second half rolled around and we begin to see Flash and Cyborg's backstory and the team get together, those problematic story telling edges began to get smoothed out and the film became really enjoyable. It started telling its story instead of just placing scenes arbitrarily.

The sequel teases were largely not great, with the exception of Darkseid. I still don't understand the Martha Manhunter bit, and it seemed to undermine a genuinely emotional scene, it was just bizarre. And the epilogue was a bit poo poo to be honest. It feels real out of place and Jared Leto is giving a terrible performance like he did in Suicide Squad. Plus it was shot very weirdly, you really did get the sense it was all green screen stuff with the weirdly tight framings and shifting depth of field, an odd choice.

Also, Aspect Ratio was fine. It, and the chapter headings, gave it a unique texture and classical feel that felt different from other blockbuster films.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 19, 2021

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CapnAndy told me to post this here, so... here.

https://twitter.com/Gavin4L/status/1372674089173794826

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Finished thoughts for now: It's definitely not a perfect film, I have various issues and will probably have more over time but, even so, I'm feeling quite impressed and relieved about it.

The underwater speech bubble thing is still real dumb.

"[ancient lamentation music playing]"

The rationale to bring Superman back does make much more sense here, although I was surprised how much of the Superman vs the League scene was just the same as the Whedon version...which is unfortunately to say, it was all still rather clunky and weird?

I'm sure there's some sort of deep dive psychoanalytical profound reason for the black suit but to be honest it mostly just seems like Clark went for the black suit 'cuz he felt like wear a different suit that day.

Speaking of which, this events here don't really disabuse us of the notion that Snyder's Superman is happiest when he's beating the poo poo out of someone, but I quite enjoyed him completely clowning on Steppenwolf anyway. Even that notorious "Mortal Kombat" shot is here, but is edited so that it actually works! Well, mostly works. It was fun in the moment, at least.

This film generally does a good job of making important moments feel earned, probably thanks to all the setup that happens. That light speed run and Cyborg's confrontation with the Mother Boxes were great denouements to their character arcs and it's insane that moments like those were cut from the theatrical. If those were Whedon's choices as opposed to the studio forcing the shorter runtime, it makes me seriously reconsider his ability to even write scripts anymore.

I'm going to go against the grain a little that Diana killing that suicide bomber guy by blowing a hole in the building felt kinda dumb and excessive to me, but mostly because that whole scene didn't make much sense in the first place. Still, I appreciate that we finally got a couple of full-speed, unfiltered "bullets and bracelets" moments, which we didn't actually even get in the other WW films (she's blocked bullets with her bracers before but it was always just one or two at a time, not full machine gun fire).

Martian Manhunter adds nothing whatsoever, although Bruce's "alright, whatever, this might as well happen too" responses made me lol a bit.

I really do hope that we get some sort of sequel to this iteration of the League. I've gone on the record again and again that the DCEU is in a great place right now for a Justice League 2, and maybe this will spark some sort of interest in that again.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am of two minds with Martian Manhunter.

On one hand, it didn't really add anything and was just there.

On the other hand, I was absolutely fangirling over Martian Manhunter.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Worse than Leto, there is special thanks to Ethan Van Scriver. gently caress that poo poo.

There is a pretty solid 2.5 hour Justice League movie in the syder bloat. There's just so much stuff. The action sequences are great, but a lot of the stuff outside of it could be trimmed down. Fewer slow scenes set to sad music of people walks around.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Roth posted:

I am of two minds with Martian Manhunter.

On one hand, it didn't really add anything and was just there.

On the other hand, I was absolutely fangirling over Martian Manhunter.

I'm confused about his inclusion. If this was always Snyder's plan for the movie(s), why was the writer on Man of Steel and BvS making GBS threads on the character and for people for even knowing who Martian Manhunter was?

Granted, Zack Snyder is not David Goyer, but you'd think there was some sort of communication between the two and Snyder would have talked about his vision for the movies and wanting the character to be a part of it, and Goyer would then... not insultingly call fans virgins.

Maybe that's why he didn't have a part in writing Justice League?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

twistedmentat posted:

Worse than Leto, there is special thanks to Ethan Van Scriver. gently caress that poo poo.

Hahahahaha what possible reason is there for that piece of poo poo to deserve a shout-out?

I’m only halfway through this, and yeah it’s an improvement, but I lost my goddamn mind at the hot dog scene. It’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen in a cape movie and that music choice is just laughably inappropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

twistedmentat posted:

There is a pretty solid 2.5 hour Justice League movie in the syder bloat. There's just so much stuff. The action sequences are great, but a lot of the stuff outside of it could be trimmed down. Fewer slow scenes set to sad music of people walks around.

Apparently this was a holdover from the WC. I mean besides the effects artists (and reshoots) it was the same film crew that worked on it in 2016.

They could’ve taken it out I suppose but I’d assume no one really paid attention.