Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
between 2015 and 2019, the FCC had ordered violators of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act to pay $208.4 million in penalties. By the end of that period, the agency had only collected $6,790.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
What’s the problem? We’ll have the full amount in only 130,000 years

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Pringles/status/1372242606902673409

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rah! posted:

lol

reminds me of abandoned shacks and former drug houses in SF selling for $1 million+

:capitalism:

I mean, at that point you aren't buying the house, you're buying the location. Like, I'm currently buying a 4 million DKK house in the close suburbs of Copenhagen. The same house, with a lot more garden would cost 1 million max in rural bumfuck Denmark, which isn't even that far away from stuff anyway. It has been a pretty common thing to buy run down houses in great locations and just tear the fucker down and build a new house, because the location is great.

Looking at housing prices also helps you see the rich people ghettos, where the prices of the location is so high that anyone doing remotely honest work will never be able to afford anything.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

I mean, at that point you aren't buying the house, you're buying the location. Like, I'm currently buying a 4 million DKK house in the close suburbs of Copenhagen. The same house, with a lot more garden would cost 1 million max in rural bumfuck Denmark, which isn't even that far away from stuff anyway. It has been a pretty common thing to buy run down houses in great locations and just tear the fucker down and build a new house, because the location is great.

Looking at housing prices also helps you see the rich people ghettos, where the prices of the location is so high that anyone doing remotely honest work will never be able to afford anything.

Lol look at this rich guy holy poo poo

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Only $1 million?! What a bargain

do you know what "+" means lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

BonHair posted:

yeah. rich tech nerds and trust fund kids want to say they live in the big city and be close to various downtown amenities, and other rich people want to launder their money through expensive real estate and whatnot lol

But housing prices don't tell the whole story, at least not in a place like SF where the majority of people rent and the majority of rental units have rent control. You can have a gentrifying neighborhood be populated primarily by middle and working class people, with public housing right across the street from a house that's being sold for over a million bucks. A million dollar house on a block where there have been multiple shootings in the past year. Buying a house there in 2021 (or 2010) may cost a poo poo ton and be out of reach of the non-wealthy, including 90% of the neighborhood's existing residents, but the neighborhood as a whole sure isn't a rich person ghetto.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I mean not to put anyone's art down or anything but like, did an artist really need to be involved at all here

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SchnorkIes posted:

Lol look at this rich guy holy poo poo

Part of me really wants a shirt saying "tax me harder", because it's ridiculous how well paid I am because I lucked out slightly on the job/education market. And I'm definitely feeling how it's difficult to justify just donating my surplus, partly because I have an immediate responsibility to my son who should have the best possible upbringing but also because donating a meaningful portion of my wealth would put me behind everyone else in my bracket and I'm becoming bourgeoisie as gently caress and I don't have the will to stop it. It sucks.
The wider point is that capitalism is a well functioning system that makes people like me into monsters.

What I'm saying is, I'll join the revolution as soon as someone starts it, and then I'll go lean on a wall.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know they did not do it to piss off australian gammons who feel strongly about vegemite and also brown people, but it's a pleasant side effect of an otherwise totally generic corporate thing.

I'm pretty sure that's an intended effect, to make impressionable idiots think that they're a nice, caring brand

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

GotLag posted:

I'm pretty sure that's an intended effect, to make impressionable idiots think that they're a nice, caring brand

The rage from the Southern Cross Brigade was definitely factored in to help marketing reach.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

this abandoned house in a non-fancy part of SF (the southeast, where most of SF's industrial stuff and public housing and much of the working class is) sold for $1.65 million in 2019:

they didn't do anything with it until now, and are planning to tear it down and build some fancy new houses on the lot.

also, the address is 666 Hamilton street lol

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
in basically every remotely large city in america the land is by far the majority of the value of the place

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shipon posted:

in basically every remotely large city in america the land is by far the majority of the value of the place

duh

its still way overpriced

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rah! posted:

do you know what "+" means lol

Yeah. Vancouver has higher prices than San Francisco with none of the high paying tech jobs to explain it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

BonHair posted:

Part of me really wants a shirt saying "tax me harder", because it's ridiculous how well paid I am because I lucked out slightly on the job/education market. And I'm definitely feeling how it's difficult to justify just donating my surplus, partly because I have an immediate responsibility to my son who should have the best possible upbringing but also because donating a meaningful portion of my wealth would put me behind everyone else in my bracket and I'm becoming bourgeoisie as gently caress and I don't have the will to stop it. It sucks.
The wider point is that capitalism is a well functioning system that makes people like me into monsters.

What I'm saying is, I'll join the revolution as soon as someone starts it, and then I'll go lean on a wall.

comfort yourself with the knowledge that due to how the system is constructed, individual action is completely meaningless. the only, actual way for lasting change to occur is mass revolt, probably with (even more) blood on the streets. but don't think for even one second that that eventuality is at the front of musk, bezos, fuckerberg et als mind at any point in time.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1372584471476723718

Goldman Sachs is making the staff happy

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I mean... they do work at Goldman Sachs. "No ethical consumption under capitalism" and all, but some consumption is considerably less ethical than other consumption. They probably deserve it.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
what the gently caress are they even /doing/? it's not like those people are actually doing anything except meaningless slide decks

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Is this basically just a hazing to weed out those who arent vampires

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

"oh boo hoo hoo the entry level parasite position treats us like we're the hosts or something" lol owned get hosed

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shipon posted:

what the gently caress are they even /doing/? it's not like those people are actually doing anything except meaningless slide decks

you cant rely on these sorts of peeps to do actual work, after like 60 hours you cannot actually add value to anything

i guess its better than doctor hazin cuz doctors loving up kills peeps and ibankers fuckin up means random peeps are screwed over less

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nitevision posted:

you can bet that Steven Mnuchin did not undergo such treatment, what with his father being one of the banks bosses

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah. Vancouver has higher prices than San Francisco with none of the high paying tech jobs to explain it.

:sad:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Shipon posted:

my guess? 3-6 hours of meetings per day and watching graphs during and throughout

imagine going to school for years to be a drone pilot but you never even get to watch your kills, only number

it's inhumane

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I mean... they do work at Goldman Sachs. "No ethical consumption under capitalism" and all, but some consumption is considerably less ethical than other consumption. They probably deserve it.

They all voted for what they got. They just thought they voted for it for other people only.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nitevision posted:

Also by the time they're done it will certainly validate the "I worked hard so I deserve this" narrative in their minds.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Here's the old story of the intern who died of overwork. Cool and normal, gotta make number go up.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shipon posted:

It’s actually a brilliant strategy by Human Resources to keep up employee retention.

You can’t apply for other jobs or do job interviews if you work 14 hours a day

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I’m working a bunch right now and I’ve just realized this morning that I’m basically being cyber bullied into working 70-80 hour weeks and:

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712?s=21

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

I’m working a bunch right now and I’ve just realized this morning that I’m basically being cyber bullied into working 70-80 hour weeks and:

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712?s=21

I got bullied into that once. I made a shitload of money, but it wasn't worth it, and I'll never do that again. ~50 is my new max

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Iron Crowned posted:

I got bullied into that once. I made a shitload of money, but it wasn't worth it, and I'll never do that again. ~50 is my new max

Lmao at working 50 hours a week. My employer gets my 37.5 hours a week, with the caveat that I will spend the majority of that time posting

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Currently lying naked in my bed, posting and watching Star Trek. I am clocked in at work. (Actually this sucks)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BonHair posted:

Currently lying naked in my bed, posting and watching Star Trek. I am clocked in at work. (Actually this sucks)

idk that sounds pretty good when weighed against the history of human labour.

The real trick is to pull off working the absolute minimum while still getting paid increasing amounts (or at least pacing with inflation), and also deriving some sort of meaning from your life (work or otherwise)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BonHair posted:

I weep for you as you buy another million dollar house

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Iron Crowned posted:

December 2016 I worked an 80 hour week making popcorn. The owner illegally did his overtime so the back 40 was all straight pay but in the form of cash which felt okay but still gently caress that

And he repaid me by letting me go in January because I had the audacity to ask for a real schedule instead of being on call 24/7 to make loving popcorn

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol anyone signing up to intern in Goldman investment banking in 2021 should die of karoshi

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Bloop posted:

I weep for you as you buy another million dollar house

The more you make, the less you work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Len posted:

December 2016 I worked an 80 hour week making popcorn. The owner illegally did his overtime so the back 40 was all straight pay but in the form of cash which felt okay but still gently caress that

And he repaid me by letting me go in January because I had the audacity to ask for a real schedule instead of being on call 24/7 to make loving popcorn

Report him for overtime violations.