Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Alright, I was going to watch it as it's on Disney+ but I can safely give it a miss (I was 60/40 not watching it anyway). Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Based on some dialogue from Falcon and the Winter Soldier, it's possible that Zemo's purple sock mask appearance is supposed to honor and invoke the image of Thanos. If that's what they're going with, that's a pretty cool explanation.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Boy that first episode was a real bummer

Pretty good though

Also curious if the random crap written in the credits sequence is going to be relevant in the show

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Falcon and Winter Soldier was surprisingly low-key after the intro. Good enough to make me come back next week.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Also curious if the random crap written in the credits sequence is going to be relevant in the show

The credits also had clear gaps for characters that didn't appear in that episode.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I really liked it. Wandavision was weird and inviting while you could tell something was bubbling underneath.

This was raw. Maybe Cap being my favorite Avenger played into it. I bought every look Sam cast at that shield. And Bucky? Jeez. Definitely can't wait to see next week's episode.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this was a good episode, I'm somewhat surprised the Sam is back working for the government though. Really cool to see them exploring more fallout from the blip, with that being used to deny the loan, and the discussion on how the avengers actually made a living.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
definitely a lot more straightforward than wandavision was but i enjoyed it. i like sam's family. glad we're getting more rhodey. feeling sad for bucky :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do we know if it's meant to be primarily a team-up show, or about the 2 characters separately (where they inevitably team-up at the end anyway)?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Soonmot posted:

Yeah this was a good episode, I'm somewhat surprised the Sam is back working for the government though. Really cool to see them exploring more fallout from the blip, with that being used to deny the loan, and the discussion on how the avengers actually made a living.

Bucky's therapist mentioned the sessions were terms of his parole. It seems reasonable to assume Sam re-enlisted perhaps as part of the Sokovia Accords or a pardon for his fugitive status post Civil War. We don't really know what the status of the Accords are right now but they also mentioned them in WandaVision. But if they still exist then Sam presumably HAS to work with the government to stay active.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I think it's only 6 episodes so my guess is they'll get together after this news of fake cap.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm guessing we get them together next episode and our first hints of where Sharon and Zemo fit into the story. Along with expansion of New Cap and the Flagsmashers.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Soonmot posted:

Yeah this was a good episode, I'm somewhat surprised the Sam is back working for the government though.

It ultimately makes sense, while nothing yet has really explicitly talked about it the Avengers are effectively defunct - the OG Avengers are all gone, Avengers HQ is a crater, and their benefactor is one of the OGs who is dead so there's nobody really to push for a rebuild.

Hell, the majority of the second generation Avengers team are out of the picture too, it's really just Sam and Rhodey left.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, and they're both military so it makes sense for them to re-enlist after whatever pardon/Accords/Blip fallout happened. So far everything in Phase 4 has dealt with grieving or dealing with the consequence of Thanos and that kind of seems where we're at with Sam and Bucky. Bucky trying to personally recover from the hell his life has been and figure out how to adjust to life and make amends and Sam struggling with both the legacy Cap asked him to carry and the changes and struggles his sister has gone through these last 5 years while presumably mourning him. "Readjustment" seeming to be the key theme, which also kind of makes sense for a show about all military/spy veteran characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seemlar posted:

It ultimately makes sense, while nothing yet has really explicitly talked about it the Avengers are effectively defunct - the OG Avengers are all gone, Avengers HQ is a crater, and their benefactor is one of the OGs who is dead so there's nobody really to push for a rebuild.

Hell, the majority of the second generation Avengers team are out of the picture too, it's really just Sam and Rhodey left.

Thor, Hawkeye and Hulk are all alive and all three have confirmed futures in the MCU.

Vision is sort of back, Wanda is still out there as well. Carol will be back, Spider-Man is still heroing. I mean poo poo, at the end of Endgame everyone who assembled (heh) for that battle became an Avenger.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rhyno posted:

Thor, Hawkeye and Hulk are all alive and all three have confirmed futures in the MCU.

Vision is sort of back, Wanda is still out there as well. Carol will be back, Spider-Man is still heroing. I mean poo poo, at the end of Endgame everyone who assembled (heh) for that battle became an Avenger.

Thor is an alien who comes and goes as he pleases, Hawkeye is a serial killer, Hulk is a scientist with a checkered past, Captain Marvel spends most of her time in space, and Spider-Man is a minor hero who wasn't around during the blip. In universe, Iron Man and Captain America were the people who gave the Avengers credibility. And behind the scenes Black Widow was the one who kept things going after Thanos, and she's dead too.

Yes, the MCU will keep going and there are characters in it who are still superheroing. But in the MCU universe, the Avengers are probably not really a going concern anymore. Which is why they're going to need the new heroes to come together and recreate the team. A sort of "New Avengers", if you will.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Wasn't there a thing about how the She Hulk series is going to be about Jen trying to get the Sokovia Accords thrown out, or was that fan speculation?

(Have to say making Jen a big name policy lawyer instead of a civil or criminal attorney is a good way to distinguish her from Matt in the lawyering department. Won't mesh well with Aaron's "What if she was just a lady version of Rage Hulk" approach though)

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I think it’s kind of funny that Tony did leave any of his billions and billions of dollars to the remaining Avengers. I figured people like Sam would be set up for life

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

I think it’s kind of funny that Tony did leave any of his billions and billions of dollars to the remaining Avengers. I figured people like Sam would be set up for life

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if SWORD or something seized it all for "national security reasons" and is using the company and its money to fund and build various off budget blacksite projects.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just lol at the "evil" organisation wanting a world without borders and stealing from a Swiss bank. What next, Universal Healthcare? What bastards!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tony gave spider-man killer drones instead of a college fund or something

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Notable I think, that Sam didn't deny Steve has a moonbase. He said something that SOUNDS like a denial until you actually listen to the words.

site posted:

tony gave spider-man killer drones instead of a college fund or something

Pepper is covering Aunt May's healthcare with all the jade vag eggs she needs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Rhyno posted:

What does "becoming an Avenger" even mean, though? The question is less what heroes get to say "I'm an Avenger" and more who's actually around with the means, knowledge, and drive to keep The Avengers functioning as an organization? Their leadership very much appeared to be Tony, Cap, and Natasha in varying ways with a touch of Rhodey and maybe Vision. So yeah, maybe Rhodey is ever the soldier wanting to rebuild this but there's also obviously a lot of other issues and the Sokovia Accords and Rhodey's military status complicate matters.

So like "Are there even Avengers?" is probably a philosophical question. If aliens invaded tomorrow a bunch of heroes would probably answer the call. But there might not be anyone manning the phones or driving the issue at the moment.

omg chael crash posted:

I think its entirely possible that Sam does have some kind of government/Avengers stipend/pay. The issue obviously wasn't one of him being homeless and personally desperate, it was of his sister's family business struggling to go under during the blip and her having to make difficult choices in giving up what their parents built and now Sam wants to save that. He could be personally comfortable and still not personally have the money it would take to save a business, home, and boat.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I liked seeing Bucky sleeping on the floor. Nice little callback to Sam and Cap's first conversation in Winter Soldier.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

I think its entirely possible that Sam does have some kind of government/Avengers stipend/pay. The issue obviously wasn't one of him being homeless and personally desperate, it was of his sister's family business struggling to go under during the blip and her having to make difficult choices in giving up what their parents built and now Sam wants to save that. He could be personally comfortable and still not personally have the money it would take to save a business, home, and boat.

Too real that the implication here is that even when faced with the instant death of half of all life and the almost certain massive death waves that came immediately after due to infrastructure going haywire (empty cars going freeway speed, flying vehicles with no pilots, power and hydro stations with no staff, raging infernos with no one to put them out, instantly crippled medical providers, etc), the atavistic juggernaut of modern American capitalism did not slow down for a loving second, showed not one whit of mercy, and devoured every bit of capital and debt it could get its hands on. No reframe of how the economy should work, no financial amnesty for figuring out how to operate after an unprecedented xenocide, nothing. It's like a parody of the pandemic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Too real that the implication here is that even when faced with the instant death of half of all life and the almost certain massive death waves that came immediately after due to infrastructure going haywire (empty cars going freeway speed, flying vehicles with no pilots, power and hydro stations with no staff, raging infernos with no one to put them out, instantly crippled medical providers, etc), the atavistic juggernaut of modern American capitalism did not slow down for a loving second, showed not one whit of mercy, and devoured every bit of capital and debt it could get its hands on. No reframe of how the economy should work, no financial amnesty for figuring out how to operate after an unprecedented xenocide, nothing. It's like a parody of the pandemic.

Yeah, there's this dual tragedy/trauma at play in that story. On one hand Sam's sister and kids had to mourn Sam's apparent death and live with that along with the rest of the horror of the Blip for five years and getting him back was probably a miracle she's incredibly grateful for. On the other side she had to spend those five years dealing with the cruelty of the business and the presumed negative affects the Blip had on it, especially a business that would seem directly affected by Thanos' snap, and she had to move on with her life. Now Sam's back and that's almost certainly a blessing for her but he also doesn't understand any of what she's been through the last 5 years or how harsh the world has been or how it has changed (or hasn't). So it creates this conflict and stress between them.

Its a potentially interesting story that can dig a lot deeper into ideas if it wants to. I'm curious to see how deep it goes.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlimGoodbody posted:

the atavistic juggernaut of modern American capitalism did not slow down for a loving second, showed not one whit of mercy, and devoured every bit of capital and debt it could get its hands on. No reframe of how the economy should work, no financial amnesty for figuring out how to operate after an unprecedented xenocide, nothing. It's like a parody of the pandemic.
I mean, in America... it basically was the pandemic response

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Isaiah Bradley was definitely in the credits. I'll be so excited if they use him and then the Weapon Plus program.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's only one episode, but at least so far I feel like Marvel maybe should've gone with the binge-watch model and released all of this one at once. All we got this week was setup, and super depressing setup at that. The sitcom format may have served WandaVision better than we realized, by giving every episode a self-contained setup and resolution.

Also yes, someone needs to explain to us in a hurry why the Flag-Smashers are baddies, because "national borders are bullshit, didn't you fuckers notice how we all got together as a single planet after Thanos and actually handled our poo poo, how dare you try to put back the old repressive systems except even worse now because you're trying to gently caress 4 billion people over for being Snapped"... those are the heroes until someone says different.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 20, 2021

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I thought it was a little weird that all of a sudden Sam is a kickboxer who doesn’t use guns.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I’m glad they brought GSP back, though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

This episode rules, unless there’s some incredibly painful moment in the last ten minutes, I don’t understand the down response to it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

SlimGoodbody posted:

I mean, have you ever read what happened during the Black Death, the closest historical analogue to anything like the Blip? It was exactly the medieval equivalent of that. Half the (then known to Europeans) world died over a period of a few years, and the institutional machinery of the state just kept trying to gamely crush the survivors to keep things normalized for the people in charge. All the historical records are full of mid-level feudal bureaucrats saying "Yes, we realize that your village has half as many people in it this year as last year, but we still expect you to meet the legally required grain quotas", and then the housing and carpentry industries collapsed once people realize that you can just move into your dead neighbor's house and take their stuff. At one point in England, when the reduced labor pool started causing workers to demand more wages due to the inevitable law of supply and demand, parliament responded by making it illegal to ask for OR give a raise. People at the time thought it was literally the Biblical Apocalypse unfolding before them, and they still did that poo poo.

100% the same things would happen after both the Blip and the Return.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Whomever decided that "the Blip" sounded better than "the Snap" needs an atomic wedgie.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Whomever decided that "the Blip" sounded better than "the Snap" needs an atomic wedgie.

It was definitely a mistake to let the Spider-Man comedy writers decide the name for it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blip is admittedly a little too jokey, but it's coming from the right place. From the perspective of people who weren't actively fighting Thanos, blip is a better descriptor of what happened than snap.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

The only one who saw him snap his fingers was Thor and he was a drunk depressed hermit for five years. But yeah they should have figured out a way to work it in there like “everyone disappeared in the time it takes to snap your fingers” or something cause blip kind of takes the emotional weight out of it when people bring it up by name.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
should've called it the dusting or something. like why would the word blip come to mind when you see someone turn into dust and disappear

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought going forward the Snap was the act of making people vanish and the Blip was them returning.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah, I'm also wondering how they're going to strawman the Flag Smashers into being actual villains.

Hopefully the rest of the episodes ditch the Law & Order quality exposition dialog and clear up why lefties are the bad guys because the Action, Story, Acting, Cinematography, etc was all great.

Rhyno posted:

I thought going forward the Snap was the act of making people vanish and the Blip was them returning.

I thought "the Blip" was the 5 years that half the world missed. Doesn't make it any better.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, I'm also wondering how they're going to strawman the Flag Smashers into being actual villains.

As soon as they start attacking civilians they are bad guys.