Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CelticPredator posted:

Apparently this was a holdover from the WC. I mean besides the effects artists (and reshoots) it was the same film crew that worked on it in 2016.

They could’ve taken it out I suppose but I’d assume no one really paid attention.

I always look at what comic people are thanked in the credits of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I checked. He’s thanked in the WC.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Hahahahaha what possible reason is there for that piece of poo poo to deserve a shout-out?

I'm guessing it's for his work on The Flash: Rebirth.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah typically comic book artists/writers get thanked for the 'inspiration', particularly when ideas or panels might get lifted wholesale. I think Gail Simone got a thank you as well and she noted she didn't have any contact with production.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1372852136849985541?s=21

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Batman is a man child.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not a huge fan of any of the live action Batmen, but I do appreciate how Keaton manages to get across how

weird

Bruce would be, in a way that the other movies don't really touch on or realize. No one who is that driven/obsessed, in that kind of freaky way, would be normal (even if they could fake it convincingly)

I think the animated series does a good job of demonstrating this with how awkward he is around his friends and family, with the grim outcome of that being how he ends up alone as an old rear end man in a big rear end mansion

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

EVS is incredibly mad about Snyder saying he doesn't want to be associated with Geeks & Gamers, so I don't care he's mentioned in the credits that most people won't read anyway.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I remembered EVS being a dick but just checked twitter as refresher and was surprised at just how dickish. He's really embraced the whole right-wing grifter thing huh.

Has it gotten worse, or just more overt?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
And oh yeah hey apparently Lex Luthor dressed up in the fancy suit at the end was also a Snyder concept? I woulda thought for sure that WB and Whedon threw that look on him to appease the fanbase, but evidently Snyder always intended for Luthor to end up looking like...well, Luthor.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Luthor's head was shaved at the end of BvS, so yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J44GVqptkyI

"A league of our own" is such a stupid line but I really miss it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq85FS3lu3U

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I remembered EVS being a dick but just checked twitter as refresher and was surprised at just how dickish. He's really embraced the whole right-wing grifter thing huh.

https://twitter.com/KnightGambit/status/1372651668895002625

Ta-da.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CaptainApathyUK posted:

The answer is 'yes.'

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Roth posted:

Nobody has to admit to anything actually.

New thread title.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Soonmot posted:

what you didn't like gay jokes in tyool 2021?

wait he did that? At that point I was rolling my eyes so hard that I could only see my orbital nerves

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"I'm your best friend! Besides... who's gonna give you a reach around"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That scene was so weird it almost felt like improv'd. When Batman said "I will loving kill you" it seemed like Ben Affleck was holding in a chuckle.

I did like the implication of the character development from it. Even though he is still having nightmares about evil Superman when he wakes up he is still rejecting that darkness and ready to take a leap of faith with an alien introducing himself.

Clark walking into his mom's house and Cyborg finishing his monologue should have been the ending though. Put the Lex Luthor stuff mid credits and the knightmare post credits, imo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's all post-credits stuff though. The movie, imo, effectively ends when it fades to black as they climb out the pit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vintersorg posted:

It's all post-credits stuff though. The movie, imo, effectively ends when it fades to black as they climb out the pit.

I disagree. I think everybody going home and Cyborg hearing his dad's final message and flash getting the real job is the real ending. Climbing out of the pit is the main plot resolution but all that is the character resolution.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gavok posted:

CapnAndy told me to post this here, so... here.

https://twitter.com/Gavin4L/status/1372674089173794826
Thank you, everyone needs to see it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Looks like Uncle Ben is dead in the DC universe as well. :smith:

No idea if this was in the theatrical cut.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Alrighty, watching the movie. I decided to give it a chance, 20 minutes in. I might not see the 4 hours in one sitting. No big spoilers, but so far:

Jason Momoa is hot.

Ben Affleck looks good and is a good Bruce Wayne, but I still don't like him too much as Batman.

I dislike Snyder's bleak palette. It's probably a personal taste of mine, I don't know.

Wonder Woman is amazing. A bit of a confession but she was the only thing I liked in BvS.

Like I've said before I never liked BvS, so a lot of things never stick with me, at the beginning of the movie, during Supes' sonic screams, we see Lex Luthor watching whatever the name of the bad guy is showing him the boxes. Was that a reference to a scene on BvS? I'm not being sarcastic, I truly forgot lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The spoilered bit was a scene in the Ultimate edition BvS that occurs just before he gets arrested, and why in the final prison scene he warns Batman "The bells been rung"

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m only halfway through this, and yeah it’s an improvement, but I lost my goddamn mind at the hot dog scene. It’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen in a cape movie and that music choice is just laughably inappropriate.

It was supposed to be funny so it seems like it worked?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JordanKai posted:

Looks like Uncle Ben is dead in the DC universe as well. :smith:

No idea if this was in the theatrical cut.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The spoilered bit was a scene in the Ultimate edition BvS that occurs just before he gets arrested, and why in the final prison scene he warns Batman "The bells been rung"

Oh thanks, I was quite confused about it.

So far it's good with the action scenes, not gonna lie.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
okay just finished. could use an editing pass but overall i thought it was pretty decent. i'm glad ray fisher comes out fairly vindicated with cyborg's much much larger role

now to catch up on the 100 posts made since yesterday lol

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I loved the movie but the one thing that is stuck in my mind is:

The flash running back in time scene. Probably a top 5 superhero movie moment for me and just absolutely loving insane to think that someone looked at that and said "Yeah we gotta get rid of this. What if the flash just sat in a hallway and then pushed a car with some kids in it out of the danger zone???"

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
One thing I really liked about that scene is that The Flash runs faces the blast head-on and runs towards it, not away from it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah that was a pretty visually impressive scene

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alexander Hamilton posted:

One thing I really liked about that scene is that The Flash runs faces the blast head-on and runs towards it, not away from it.

I didnt notice till goons pointed it out, but the wave hits him and he auto vibrates because he's apparently just as broken as he is in comics.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i was just reminded of the scene where martha kent goes to visit lois and convinces her she needs to move on...but wait it was actually the martian manhunter. that was...a choice lol

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
One thing I'm surprised didn't get adjusted is that there was still no Kryptonian presence at the Age of Heroes fight way back when. It doesn't literally break the story in half or anything, but it would have just very cleanly explained why the "Superman ship" specifically has accounts of Apokolips, why Steppenwolf even brings up that there were no Kryptonians at Earth when he arrived, and why this ship even got downed and left on Earth in the first place. It's also just more elegant if there were all those races banding together to defeat Darkseid the first time, and then again now. As it stands, the Kryptonian ship basically just got its info about Apokolips from somewhere else -- another planet, or maybe even second-hand -- and then just happened to crash on Earth for some reason.

That moment of Darkseid facing down the League at the grounds of their victory, and his loss, was really cool, though. Again, a very earned moment.

Though it's kinda weird that Darkseid just...what, forgot that Earth was where the Anti-Life Equation was after that first go-around? How do you just forget that? They didn't mark it down on Google Maps?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Here's how it came across to me: Krypton, as a space-faring people, knew about Apokolips, but mounted an effective and ongoing resistance with their advanced technology. The ship naturally had a copy of the Encyclopedia Kryptonica or whatever on board, as part of how the AI functions. The ship didn't crash, it was simply encased in ice after it was abandoned when the colony failed (because all Kryptonian colonies failed).

Darkseid's first visit to earth was when he was young and careless, full of piss and vinegar. To him it was just another planet, and in their hasty retreat it was forgotten and the Mother Boxes abandoned. The presence of the Anti-Life Equation there went unnoticed by anyone until Steppenwolf saw it in his Mother Box vision. That was also when he realized that this wasn't the first time Apokolips had made an attempt on this world.

Using the Mother Boxes to take over the planet was Plan B if the army wasn't up to the job, because those things don't exactly grow on trees, but Darkseid's injury resulted in abandoning the Mother Box plan as well. When the first Mother Box reawakened, Steppenwolf reconnoitered the place, but noticed there was this Kryptonian hanging around, so decided to hold off as a matter of prudent military strategy. After Superman's death, he had no reason to wait any longer, because he didn't think much of the remaining defenders (and there wasn't a Green Lantern for that sector).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Jesus, even with all of Zack Snyder’s budget STAR Labs’ security is still poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

This from one of the Kryptoniam colonies Zod finds in Man of Steel

Not a direct confirmation, but given there's no burial and they died clutching a weapon you can infer they came into contact with some sort of hostile force.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bongo Bill posted:

Here's how it came across to me: Krypton, as a space-faring people, knew about Apokolips, but mounted an effective and ongoing resistance with their advanced technology. The ship naturally had a copy of the Encyclopedia Kryptonica or whatever on board, as part of how the AI functions. The ship didn't crash, it was simply encased in ice after it was abandoned when the colony failed (because all Kryptonian colonies failed).

Darkseid's first visit to earth was when he was young and careless, full of piss and vinegar. To him it was just another planet, and in their hasty retreat it was forgotten and the Mother Boxes abandoned. The presence of the Anti-Life Equation there went unnoticed by anyone until Steppenwolf saw it in his Mother Box vision. That was also when he realized that this wasn't the first time Apokolips had made an attempt on this world.

Using the Mother Boxes to take over the planet was Plan B if the army wasn't up to the job, because those things don't exactly grow on trees, but Darkseid's injury resulted in abandoning the Mother Box plan as well. When the first Mother Box reawakened, Steppenwolf reconnoitered the place, but noticed there was this Kryptonian hanging around, so decided to hold off as a matter of prudent military strategy. After Superman's death, he had no reason to wait any longer, because he didn't think much of the remaining defenders (and there wasn't a Green Lantern for that sector).

That's close to his I interpreted it:

Steppenwolf know ahead of time this was the one world Darkseid lost and thought and hoped taking it would grant him favor. He was sad when he found out that no he was still gonna owe 50,000 more worlds.

Nobody knew the anti life equation was here except the motherboxes, who revealed it to Steppenwolf in that vision. Darkseid WOULD have discovered it 5000 years ago if he didn't get knocked tf out but they had to leave pretty quick. The motherboxes sat there for 5000 years though and they figured it out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Roth posted:

This from one of the Kryptoniam colonies Zod finds in Man of Steel

Not a direct confirmation, but given there's no burial and they died clutching a weapon you can infer they came into contact with some sort of hostile force.

OR ... that's a space guitar and they were killed during a particularly awesome guitar solo.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Davros1 posted:

OR ... that's a space guitar and they were killed during a particularly awesome guitar solo.

They played Wonder Woman's theme and it rocked too hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

"[ancient lamentation music playing]"