Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

This is nonsensical.

I work in tech, in the UK, and we have people leaving unopened wine bottles, 6ers of beer, sometimes bottles of liquor on their desk. Either just to have them there for a special occasion, or just storing them there after they bought/won them and can't be arsed to take them home, or they bought that day and will be taking them home later.

No one gives a poo poo, and no one should; you're not drinking on the job at your desk or something, so why would someone care?

Same might be true for your factory co-worker, he just kept his tinnies on his machine and forgot to take them home later. No big deal. Not a loving firing offense in the least bit.
the stellas were empty and computer touchers are much less likely than industrial machine operators to deglove themselves when they aren't at 100%

unless you're being sarcastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Steakandchips posted:

Time to start looking for a new job.

"start" like we haven't been there for months, I already talked about this in thread. If you want to bring jobs to the people stuck in red states because there's no "earning your way out" or sponsor some evacuations to livable regions, I'm all ears.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

99% of the time I'd never get high on the job, but if it's 3:00, I just got out of a stupid meeting, and I'm just filling out spreadsheets for the rest of the day then yeah I don't see the downside to taking a baby hit and turning on some trance. I've been a daily stoner for a year straight, I don't even want to know how long it would take to clear my system at this point.

But on the other hand, if you seriously drug test computer touchers in Colorado you deserve your applicants laughing all the way out of the interview, into the parking lot, and onto your competitor's payroll.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Used to work at a machine shop where many of the guys would send the janitor to the liquor store for beer every day. They would store the beer in the unused machine at the back and drink throughout the day and some people would be so hammered by 4:30 that they'd have to sleep in the lunch room. The manager, who didn't drink, would come by at about 5 or so and pick up any stray cans sitting on machines. The practice stopped when a guy in an affiliated shop got their arm ripped off in a lathe by polishing with gloves on and then the safety guys were around all the time.

Also briefly worked at a shop where there was a pop machine with standard label but two of the rows were secretly beer of some sort. Never saw anyone purchase them.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

wyoak posted:

the stellas were empty and computer touchers are much less likely than industrial machine operators to deglove themselves when they aren't at 100%

unless you're being sarcastic

Ah, I missed that they were empty. My bad.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

~Coxy posted:

Anyway, I got in trouble for that and they made me get rid of the second CRT. If I remember correctly the reason stated was that people would think I was getting special treatment and everybody would want dual screens (no duh!)

Helljob was like this whenever I'd request better / more equipment, at least for the first half of my tenure there. "Hey I want another monitor, it'd help productivity" "Well what's everyone else going to think", etc.

Eventually they stopped caring, and I stopped caring what my jackass manager thought, and... I began accumulating monitors.

Every time we'd get new ones, as we began getting 1080p monitors for people when those became more affordable, I'd snatch up the old 1600x900 or whatever monitors that got replaced.

My desk was an L-shaped combination of two long desks, and by the end, I had around 6 monitors on it. I had to add an extra video card to make that work, and it made my computer hilariously unstable. But it worked, drat it. And it was awesome. My boss rolled his eyes at it, others laughed, meanwhile I could have Visual Studio across two monitors, SQL management studio, Firefox, Youtube, and Outlook up at the same time! I miss my wrap-around command center.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
So at work we had our twice a year maintenance stoppage. One agenda was replacement of a gearbox/reducer/whatever for an electric motor.

This motor is used in tandem with another, smaller, set to handle changing of still rolling reels. Big motor keeps constant speed until reel reaches desired size, then Small motor brings a new empty spool to run speed and the paper is then literally blown on it. Big motor brakes down, releases old one to storage slot and goes to take control of the new reel

Everything went swimmingly until we actually tried using the machine and noticed, with quite loud and smoky audiovisual alert that one of the motors now spins the wrong way. The Big motor tried to grab the spool while it was spinning in wrong way.

We are now at hour 6 of "dudes, can we just cross the cables or do we need to replace the box?" "vOv"

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sormus posted:

So at work we had our twice a year maintenance stoppage. One agenda was replacement of a gearbox/reducer/whatever for an electric motor.

This motor is used in tandem with another, smaller, set to handle changing of still rolling reels. Big motor keeps constant speed until reel reaches desired size, then Small motor brings a new empty spool to run speed and the paper is then literally blown on it. Big motor brakes down, releases old one to storage slot and goes to take control of the new reel

Everything went swimmingly until we actually tried using the machine and noticed, with quite loud and smoky audiovisual alert that one of the motors now spins the wrong way. The Big motor tried to grab the spool while it was spinning in wrong way.

We are now at hour 6 of "dudes, can we just cross the cables or do we need to replace the box?" "vOv"

Back in 2005 I worked a refueling outage at a nuclear power plant. One of the main coolant pump motors - not sure the HP, but they are giant, fuckoff motors - got sent off to be rebuilt.
During acceptance testing it was noticed that something had been wound backwards and the motor didn't spin as expected. It had to be sent across the country again to be rebuilt, again, costing the operator a fuckton of money in lost power productivity.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My work made me drop off all my equipment today at my last day but didn't have any of the forms ready where Im supposed to sign to not poach people or steal company secrets and I didn't remind them so now Im pretty sure I can reveal without repercussion the most boring poo poo imagineable.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

My work made me drop off all my equipment today at my last day but didn't have any of the forms ready where Im supposed to sign to not poach people or steal company secrets and I didn't remind them so now Im pretty sure I can reveal without repercussion the most boring poo poo imagineable.

Did the e-mails sent to you get more and more desperate for a reply toward the end?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

All right folks, who wants to take bets on whether the coworker who was significantly ill (to the point of being unwillingly sent home for respiratory distress after claiming no symptoms) will be back in the morning and in my personal space, without any covid test?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Did the e-mails sent to you get more and more desperate for a reply toward the end?

I got one yesterday, filled with angry caps, wondering why I wasn't providing needed global data that was weeks late. It stressed the importance of delivering this and how it was a global mandate and if I needed support for tasks to take it up with global.

I did not respond to this email and they didn't copy anyone else in my country on it so their loss.

Edit: It went well with the request desparately looking for help on how to pull data on a request that I saw I had never been copied onto until yesterday. Sent back a "I have no idea what this, I've never seen this before, hope you figure it out, sincerely Barudak" and went to go get some burgers.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 19, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Barudak posted:

Like every form that is designed to protect the company and does literally nothing for you, do your best to get out of signing it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

SkyeAuroline posted:

All right folks, who wants to take bets on whether the coworker who was significantly ill (to the point of being unwillingly sent home for respiratory distress after claiming no symptoms) will be back in the morning and in my personal space, without any covid test?

Unwillingly sent home? If you're hacking and spluttering everywhere what do they think is going to happen?

e: Surely proof of a negative test or something before they can be allowed back?

kecske fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 19, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sormus posted:

Had a series of servo motors all reversed in the drawings. The dudes wiring them up pointed out they were going to turn the wrong way and did the right thing by shuffling it up the chain.

Response from the client was to stick to the contract, follow the drat drawing, they'll go out and reverse the wiring later then update the drawings.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Cool, my boss is out of the office today, which means that not only am I being screamed at over Skype by his incomparably evil and lovely girlfriend (her joke is to check formatting, which she's taken to mean lambasting the writing team for not implementing formatting rules that she said herself were not in place until that moment) but it also means that my younger, male coworker has decided that "work together with Fleta on this" means he is my supervisor in some way. He absolutely is not, and I'm fuming.

I've barely been at work for two hours and I'm already considering getting "sick" because I honestly would rather not earn my pittance than deal with either of these condescending fuckwits.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Spread petrol everywhere and set the place on fire, imho

I've gotten shouted at at work precisely once, and its weird how it taps into your "getting shouted at by a parent" system. I always hoped I'd shout back, but I just got worried and felt guilty.

Olewithmilk fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 19, 2021

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Olewithmilk posted:

Spread petrol everywhere and set the place on fire, imho

I've gotten shouted at at work precisely once, and its weird how it taps into your "getting shouted at by a parent" system. I always hoped I'd shout back, but I just got worried and felt guilty.

With her, it's more like I'm back to teaching middle school and the class mean girl is having a meltdown at me. And I stopped teaching for a reason.

Meanwhile, I just had to explain to my coworker that his "hilarious" idea that a male person named Jeff and a female person named Jeffrita could somehow get mixed up in a military recruitment medical check and be sent to "opposite' jobs where the MAN BAKES CUPCAKES (the gender horror of it all! a man baking! WHAT A CRAZY DAY!) and the woman LEARNS TO FLY APACHE HELICOPTERS (in the 1940s?? also women can't fly helicopters because our periods interfere with the instruments) because of a paperwork error.

And when I said, "So, what, they each went into the medical exams and no one noticed they were the opposite gender that their intake paperwork generated?" His explanation was somebody messed up. To which I responded, "Someone hosed up looking at a penis?"

And because I know he will just delete any notes I wrote and put a slapdash, lovely version in its place, I'm having to secretly message my boss.

I'm pulling a sickie the second I finish polishing this latest watery turd to the rest of my ability. This job pays dick and I would rather eat my pen than have to listen to the O-ring whine one more time about how I don't understand comedy because I point out logic errors in his lovely jokes. WHICH IS MY EXACT JOB.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

kecske posted:

e: Surely proof of a negative test or something before they can be allowed back?

Considering it took multiple days of this to get to this point, and that we're cut back to a bare minimum of manpower that can't endure any cuts for long without serious issues because "efficiency"...

Well, you can guess.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

With her, it's more like I'm back to teaching middle school and the class mean girl is having a meltdown at me. And I stopped teaching for a reason.

Meanwhile, I just had to explain to my coworker that his "hilarious" idea that a male person named Jeff and a female person named Jeffrita could somehow get mixed up in a military recruitment medical check and be sent to "opposite' jobs where the MAN BAKES CUPCAKES (the gender horror of it all! a man baking! WHAT A CRAZY DAY!) and the woman LEARNS TO FLY APACHE HELICOPTERS (in the 1940s?? also women can't fly helicopters because our periods interfere with the instruments) because of a paperwork error.

And when I said, "So, what, they each went into the medical exams and no one noticed they were the opposite gender that their intake paperwork generated?" His explanation was somebody messed up. To which I responded, "Someone hosed up looking at a penis?"

And because I know he will just delete any notes I wrote and put a slapdash, lovely version in its place, I'm having to secretly message my boss.

I'm pulling a sickie the second I finish polishing this latest watery turd to the rest of my ability. This job pays dick and I would rather eat my pen than have to listen to the O-ring whine one more time about how I don't understand comedy because I point out logic errors in his lovely jokes. WHICH IS MY EXACT JOB.

Is your coworker stuck in the 1950s? Does he call women dames or something? Like how does someone not filtered this out before speaking?.

I have so many questions about this but it is obvious that your work place is a true blue toxic shithole.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Had a 4 hour technical briefing on the latest technology coming to our company. One of the guys up front coughs through most of the presentation. When he does his part, he apologies of having to cough, but don't worry, he doesn't have COVID as he's been tested for it.

So it's ok to come into work and cough over 50 people in an enclosed room! Wonderful news!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

e: thread moves fast

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Comstar posted:

Had a 4 hour technical briefing on the latest technology coming to our company. One of the guys up front coughs through most of the presentation. When he does his part, he apologies of having to cough, but don't worry, he doesn't have COVID as he's been tested for it.

So it's ok to come into work and cough over 50 people in an enclosed room! Wonderful news!

Just a light cold/flu bro, just gunna spread it around for herd immunity.

:colbert:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Overall the people at my work are perfectly fine but there is an undeniable "knowitall" culture (it's mostly engineers so what can you do) and it's driving me up the wall.

Our system is ancient and prone to crapping out at a moments notice so sometimes my work is delayed. People will ask me what's up, I'll describe what's happening and what I'm doing to fix it and then they will launch in to an exhaustive explanation of what I should do; essentially repeating back what I told them with a satisfied look on their face.

I know how to deal with them so I don't take it personally but a few of these dudes think that they are the smartest person on the planet because they're better at math than me, yet cannot write, speak, cook or understand technology beyond a fourth grade level.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

Overall the people at my work are perfectly fine but there is an undeniable "knowitall" culture (it's mostly engineers so what can you do) and it's driving me up the wall.

Our system is ancient and prone to crapping out at a moments notice so sometimes my work is delayed. People will ask me what's up, I'll describe what's happening and what I'm doing to fix it and then they will launch in to an exhaustive explanation of what I should do; essentially repeating back what I told them with a satisfied look on their face.

I know how to deal with them so I don't take it personally but a few of these dudes think that they are the smartest person on the planet because they're better at math than me, yet cannot write, speak, cook or understand technology beyond a fourth grade level.
Just hang up

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

Over the past few months my office has done something I've seen mentioned a few times in this thread - pretty much everyone used to use the one platform for messaging each other, but suddenly now different departments/every random rear end in a top hat in the company wants to use something different, so I have to have like four messaging platforms + my email open all the time so I don't miss anything.

My workplace has a high turnover. I recently googled employee reviews for the place out of curiosity and they're awful, much worse than the 'average' they were when I was hired a few years back. They seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for new hires now, presumably because most people google the company and realise working here would suck rear end. The result is extremely useless people getting hired and washing out within a couple of months. I feel like as soon as I get used to seeing a new person around, they're gone. I will often be wandering around the place and overhear the new hires talking about how much they loving hate it here for various reasons.

Recently people keep coming into work absolutely dying of God knows what illness, constantly coughing and sneezing and spluttering everywhere. It's gross, and I have multiple chronic illnesses and don't need that poo poo, to say nothing of the pandemic. At one point we got an email being like "Remember to wash your hands and stay home if you're sick guys! :)" which absolutely nobody listened to. COVID is very under control where I live, at least, but I think it's made people complacent. I remember in the Before Times right before poo poo got real with the pandemic, when there were relatively few cases outside of China, we had a meeting and someone asked what would happen if we had to go into lockdown and if management had planned for it. Management scoffed and said that was absolutely ridiculous and would never happen. The Prime Minister was announcing a lockdown not long after. Classic.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

TacticalHoodie posted:

Is your coworker stuck in the 1950s? Does he call women dames or something? Like how does someone not filtered this out before speaking?.

I have so many questions about this but it is obvious that your work place is a true blue toxic shithole.

I think part of it is language-related (not that his English is bad, it's REALLY GOOD, but maybe this is just how he know show to say some things) and part of it is pure ignorance. He is very defensive and extremely condescending to all women I've ever seen him interact with, but he also seems terrified of women in general. I don't know.

However, I will say that my boss called me towards the end of the day to make sure everything was all right and when I explained what was going on, he gave me the go-ahead to change the joke without a second of hesitation. But I did say "penis" to him, too, because it's the little things that keep me going.

e: "it will be better next time because we'll have a style guide and character sheets and we'll establish who is in charge of who...again, next time." is the vague answer I get when I point out the toxicity.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I think part of it is language-related (not that his English is bad, it's REALLY GOOD, but maybe this is just how he know show to say some things) and part of it is pure ignorance. He is very defensive and extremely condescending to all women I've ever seen him interact with, but he also seems terrified of women in general. I don't know.

However, I will say that my boss called me towards the end of the day to make sure everything was all right and when I explained what was going on, he gave me the go-ahead to change the joke without a second of hesitation. But I did say "penis" to him, too, because it's the little things that keep me going.

e: "it will be better next time because we'll have a style guide and character sheets and we'll establish who is in charge of who...again, next time." is the vague answer I get when I point out the toxicity.

Ugh, your workplace sounds like hell

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

angry emu posted:

Over the past few months my office has done something I've seen mentioned a few times in this thread - pretty much everyone used to use the one platform for messaging each other, but suddenly now different departments/every random rear end in a top hat in the company wants to use something different, so I have to have like four messaging platforms + my email open all the time so I don't miss anything.

Lol same same. We had everything on a shared drive onnthe network, which was fine, but then when we did work from home we couldn't get access to the shared drive. Except we could, all u had to do was to email the file to yourself/upload it on your personal Google drive, then remote in and download it on your work computer and move it to the network one, or vice vera. Which is tedious and I understand why no one wanted to do that for 6 months.

So instead my annoying coworker/our de facto coordinator decided to just have us upload our work to our personal drive accounts and make them shareable. This is fine, basically halfway to what I described above. But then they made a department team drive for us to upload to instead. Why change it? Then we went to a Google room for the department to upload materials, then to individual Google rooms, then instead of email we were sent messages thru Google chat, now instead of messages its tasks sent via Google chat. Like as soon as they discover a new thing they think that's the best and move everything onto it. Now I'm in a weird position where said annoying coworker only communicates to me thru tasks on Google chat, but then emails other staff and tells them to tell me what to do, without ccing me in the email.

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 19, 2021

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

we usually have read+write access to the databases on the test environments, and read-only access to the production database, to avoid accidental/malicious editing of data in production.

a year ago, the new devops guy started setting up new instances, and gave us the new credentials for both test and production environments. i pointed out that the production credentials now have write access, even though the previous ones were read-only, and that this is a huge risk to data because its very easy to accidentally edit something in the GUI SQL editor and not be able to undo your changes because we dont log every single change. he basically went "ahhh its probably fine" despite it very obviously not being fine. i pointed it out to the rest of management and they were like "ahhh its probably fine" so i guess its fine????

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think I unintentionally revealed my old company was scamming a client to the client.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

We have four week sprints. For one of my teams this works perfectly - we start to get tickets into test in the second week, the work flows nicely, and we can plan accordingly. Two of my teams are completely incapable of doing this. We are entering week four of the sprint and we haven't had a single ticket to test. It was supposed to be released at lunchtime and they've suddenly found issues so it'll be delayed until at least Monday. I've replanned the testing with my senior TA and there's literally no way we can meet the deadline, so of course it'll go down as testing missing the deadlines because we're the last in the line.

I keep getting asked how we can get better and "loving tell the devs to do their loving jobs" is apparently not an acceptable answer. Either they can't estimate their work correctly or they have no idea what's actually required and I'm not sure which is worse.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I've had co-workers message/call me through discord because they couldn't get ahold of me through phone, email, and text.

I thought it was an emergency and left the meeting I was in because who calls someone through the discord app while they are both at work?

"My printer is printing in color can you change it to black and white"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I think my reply would have involved four letter words and graphic imagery and probably resulted in a caution from hr.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sormus posted:

I see now how you can close the loop on recycle fiber in house.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

EvilHawk posted:

We have four week sprints. For one of my teams this works perfectly - we start to get tickets into test in the second week, the work flows nicely, and we can plan accordingly. Two of my teams are completely incapable of doing this. We are entering week four of the sprint and we haven't had a single ticket to test. It was supposed to be released at lunchtime and they've suddenly found issues so it'll be delayed until at least Monday. I've replanned the testing with my senior TA and there's literally no way we can meet the deadline, so of course it'll go down as testing missing the deadlines because we're the last in the line.

I keep getting asked how we can get better and "loving tell the devs to do their loving jobs" is apparently not an acceptable answer. Either they can't estimate their work correctly or they have no idea what's actually required and I'm not sure which is worse.

QA life

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Aren't you just like, translating dialogue for hentai tentacle rape games or something? Why do people get so huffed about this poo poo when people tell them their crap dialogue make no sense to a native speaker? It's weird that they think the *actual* problem is that you just have no sense of humor or something, rather than simply trusting you to do the job you were hired for. Do they not realize that actual comedians refine and work on the perfect wording of their comedy sets and poo poo meticulously?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SkyeAuroline posted:

Considering it took multiple days of this to get to this point, and that we're cut back to a bare minimum of manpower that can't endure any cuts for long without serious issues because "efficiency"...

Well, you can guess.

good news: I have not been exposed to plaguebearers in the office
bad news: I have found a missing completely nonfunctional placeholder piece of data that does absolutely nothing but that our techpriest-esque database crew at the other location are convinced is necessary for the program to work (it isn't) and will take literal days to manually readd to everything it's missing from

guess it's time for me to find out if the Omnissiah is real

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SkyeAuroline posted:

good news: I have not been exposed to plaguebearers in the office
bad news: I have found a missing completely nonfunctional placeholder piece of data that does absolutely nothing but that our techpriest-esque database crew at the other location are convinced is necessary for the program to work (it isn't) and will take literal days to manually readd to everything it's missing from

guess it's time for me to find out if the Omnissiah is real
Watching load bearing dummy data get created in real time :munch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

I think I unintentionally revealed my old company was scamming a client to the client.

Only registered members can see post attachments!