Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

denereal visease posted:

Yo the Corsair A500 is not at all in the same class as the NH-D15S.

It can achieve similar performance to an NH-D15S by spinning it's tinier, louder fans at 2300+ RPM versus 1500 RPM for the NH-D15S: link.

I am by no means an expert or whatever the gently caress you want to call it, but there are some legitimately bad recommendations and info getting tossed around itt lately. The A500 is the thing you buy when the shelves are barren.

If you actually watch the video you just linked, like actually watch it, you will see that at low power draw CPUs like the one he says he’s buying it performs literally the same.

Steve says it’s “a couple of degrees off in a heavily controlled test”

Also steve: “They are equal at a 120 Watt load”

The 5800 X is under a 120 W chip.

Keep in mind this recommendation was for a 5600X.

The corsair cooler is a bad buy at $100 but it’s not $100

it’s $45.

Edit: The reason Steve is bad mouthing it so much is because corsair was charging $100 and claiming that they could beat the other $100 cooler when it simply cant and doesn’t even have RGB. Which is why you often see this thing on sale.

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

well why not posted:

I have a PC with an ATX board, NH-D15S, ASUS GTX1080 Turbo (blower) and 2 HDD, 2 SSD, and 1 NVME drive. I want to put the computer into the cabinet part of an Ikea Micke desk. It's got about 30cm of horizontal space, so my current Define R5 does not fit properly. What would be the smart way to do this? Happy to get a smaller case or take the door off of the desk. I'm thinking maybe a Define 7 Compact? Or would meshify make more sense?

Even with the door off the desk you’re looking at a serious heat trap. You would want to put some kind of exhaust fan in the desk itself for something like that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The rear of the desk cabinet is open, it's only enclosed on the left and right of the case. Would that make a difference?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

well why not posted:

The rear of the desk cabinet is open, it's only enclosed on the left and right of the case. Would that make a difference?

yeah, you are probably good then unless its against a wall making an effective closed back.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Alright, after delving neck deep into tech reviews/videos/articles, I think this is what I'm going with. Getting the retailer to put it all together for me so I assume this means they'll do any motherboard updating, RAM XMP settings, etc. Would appreciate comments on this build, I went with a few odd choices, I think.

Decided to go with 4x8GB of RAM for the possible dual rank benefits, but I've only gone with CL16 3200MHz instead of a CL14 or 3600MHz as it seems like there's basically no difference to a Ryzen 5600x, is this crazy? The dual rank benefits were only ~10% FPS in 1080p gaming, but it still seems worth it? The extra 16GB is a nice side benefit if I wanted to open more than 7 tabs in chrome.

Went with just a SATA SSD since it seems the speed difference with a M.2 NVMe is unnoticeable in real world conditions. However, a Crucial P2 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD is $20 cheaper than the Samsung 860 Evo? Is there any reason why? Is Samsung overpriced?

I considered a 450M motherboard instead of 550M since it seems like PCIe 3.0 was enough, even for the RTX3070, except for one small test case with Doom, but I ended up going for a 550M anyway since I couldn't find a decent 450M that saved me that much money and there might conceivably be issues in the future.

For the case, I went with the Lian Li Mesh Performance that everyone seems to be jizzing over. Not sure if I should save $50 and go with the 205 Mesh Mid instead?

Got a pretty standard CPU cooler with the 212 Turbo. I've heard the extra fan doesn't really do much, but it was like an extra $6.

Chose a 750W PSU even though 650W should be enough.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo White Edition 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($65.00 @ PLE Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.00 @ PLE Computers)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($115.00 @ PLE Computers)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($115.00 @ PLE Computers)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.00 @ PLE Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB EAGLE Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Total: $603.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-18 18:07 AEDT+1100

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

crepeface posted:

Alright, after delving neck deep into tech reviews/videos/articles, I think this is what I'm going with. Getting the retailer to put it all together for me so I assume this means they'll do any motherboard updating, RAM XMP settings, etc. Would appreciate comments on this build, I went with a few odd choices, I think.

Generally looks solid enough and it sounds like you've mostly thought over and arrived at the right conclusions for most of your build.

Idk where you're seeing 10% fps differences with RAM configuration, most of the charts I can see are like 3% tops, and also it should be moot because if you're gaming at 1080p with a 3070 and 5600x you're wasting a whole load of potential. At higher resolutions it's not going to matter at all, you'll be entirely GPU bound. If the NVMe is cheaper then go for the NVMe obviously, yes Samsung are overpriced in general.

If NVMe drives and b550 boards don't cost a huge amount more (or are equal or less in some cases) then the other point would be why wouldn't you go for the newer options with more recent tech, If we're already seeing benefits to PCIe 4 on b550 boards?

IDK if paying for windows is a requirement for that company to build it for you but if not you could save yourself the money and install it yourself with a key from the guy in SA Mart for $15. Assembling it and making sure it boots to BIOS is the difficult bit, installing windows and setting XMP are incredibly easy by comparison.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 18, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

spunkshui posted:

:words and specifics:
Firstly, thank you: I appreciate the rebuttal!

My issue is not someone recommending the A500 for a specific user and their use case, it's definitely fine for a 5600X.

But the broad generalization (like the "5600X is the best gaming CPU hands down!" dust-up) that it's comparable to a NH-D15S is not fine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Vir posted:

Yes, you have to enable XMP (called D.O.C.P. on some AMD socket motherboards) to get the XMP speed of 3200 CL 16. Otherwise it runs on the default speed of 2133 CL 15.

My BIOS says 2400MHz but Windows says 3200MHz, which is true?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

My BIOS says 2400MHz but Windows says 3200MHz, which is true?

What does cpu-z say? Should show half of the number it really is (1600 for 3200, etc).

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

denereal visease posted:

Firstly, thank you: I appreciate the rebuttal!

My issue is not someone recommending the A500 for a specific user and their use case, it's definitely fine for a 5600X.

But the broad generalization (like the "5600X is the best gaming CPU hands down!" dust-up) that it's comparable to a NH-D15S is not fine.

I had seen/heard some of Gamers Nexus trashing of that cooler but never cared enough to actually watch the video, so I also wondered for a second about that recommendation but spunkshui specifically mentioned its heavily discounted price as making it worthwhile.

This leads me into a criticism I have of Gamer's Nexus videos that I'll raise for discussions sake. While I really appreciate their meticulous methodology for testing things in every possible way you could imagine, and because of that they catch things like the NZXT H1 PCIe riser fire hazard, I do think they're overly focused on absolute performance above every other metric in their reviews of products, no matter how minimal the gains or real world effects they have for most potential users. They seem to have a single ideal in their head, that of the best airflow lowest thermals fastest storage/RAM highest potential cooling/overclocking, and all of their reviews are structured around how the product relates to that. Less clued up PC builders then use those videos as justification for spending way over the odds on products that they simply don't need, because bigger number means better product, even if they're never planning on overclocking or coming remotely near the performance thresholds where the small gains would actually matter. I know this mindset existed long before their videos but I can't help thinking that it perpetuates that very 'reddit' attitude that you simply must have the biggest/fastest/best everything in your system or you're a poor pleb.

Case in point, their review of the Scythe Fuma 2 - first he seemed almost grudging in getting around to it, insinuating that people asking him to review it were paid shills for the company rather than customers genuinely interested in the product, and then went on to be very moderate in his praise of the product, even though the actual content of the review showed it to be better than pretty much everything else within ~$50 of the price. It was getting compared to the biggest AIO coolers and radiators which for most people just looking for the best value air cooler for their build are totally irrelevant comparisons.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I had seen/heard some of Gamers Nexus trashing of that cooler but never cared enough to actually watch the video, so I also wondered for a second about that recommendation but spunkshui specifically mentioned its heavily discounted price as making it worthwhile.

This leads me into a criticism I have of Gamer's Nexus videos that I'll raise for discussions sake. While I really appreciate their meticulous methodology for testing things in every possible way you could imagine, and because of that they catch things like the NZXT H1 PCIe riser fire hazard, I do think they're overly focused on absolute performance above every other metric in their reviews of products, no matter how minimal the gains or real world effects they have for most potential users. They seem to have a single ideal in their head, that of the best airflow lowest thermals fastest storage/RAM highest potential cooling/overclocking, and all of their reviews are structured around how the product relates to that. Less clued up PC builders then use those videos as justification for spending way over the odds on products that they simply don't need, because bigger number means better product, even if they're never planning on overclocking or coming remotely near the performance thresholds where the small gains would actually matter. I know this mindset existed long before their videos but I can't help thinking that it perpetuates that very 'reddit' attitude that you simply must have the biggest/fastest/best everything in your system or you're a poor pleb.

Case in point, their review of the Scythe Fuma 2 - first he seemed almost grudging in getting around to it, insinuating that people asking him to review it were paid shills for the company rather than customers genuinely interested in the product, and then went on to be very moderate in his praise of the product, even though the actual content of the review showed it to be better than pretty much everything else within ~$50 of the price. It was getting compared to the biggest AIO coolers and radiators which for most people just looking for the best value air cooler for their build are totally irrelevant comparisons.

They have that bias, but they also wear that bias on their sleeve and are very clear that that's the metric they are using.

They also aren't unfair. Steve may hate the concept of the Fractal Design 7, but he's still willing to admit and draw attention to the fact that it's an outlier in their noise-normalised testing chart because they couldn't actually make the case loud enough.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I don’t know if I agree with this. He’s pretty explicit about what the gains look like, and very purposely shows super old hardware in the charts so people have a real, fat driven comparison.

He also repeatedly speaks about not upgrading for upgrading sake, and to only upgrade when you’re missing performance you want to prevent e-waste and to save money. And he often poo poo talks companies that offer single % generational gains.

He makes offhand and minimal comments about it, but he also sometimes talks about how he doesn’t have the latest stuff in his personal machine either.

I think he talks so much about % gains because that is the only meaningful way to compare all these different products. They test with everything else so controlled that they can make incredibly specific performance gain claims that actually hold up.

Edit: I forgot to add that iirc the main criticism of the Fuma 2 was that they capped the fan speed so it would never be loud, but resulted in a situation where it couldn’t keep up at higher temps.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 18, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Butterfly Valley posted:

Generally looks solid enough and it sounds like you've mostly thought over and arrived at the right conclusions for most of your build.

Idk where you're seeing 10% fps differences with RAM configuration, most of the charts I can see are like 3% tops, and also it should be moot because if you're gaming at 1080p with a 3070 and 5600x you're wasting a whole load of potential. At higher resolutions it's not going to matter at all, you'll be entirely GPU bound. If the NVMe is cheaper then go for the NVMe obviously, yes Samsung are overpriced in general.

If NVMe drives and b550 boards don't cost a huge amount more (or are equal or less in some cases) then the other point would be why wouldn't you go for the newer options with more recent tech, If we're already seeing benefits to PCIe 4 on b550 boards?

IDK if paying for windows is a requirement for that company to build it for you but if not you could save yourself the money and install it yourself with a key from the guy in SA Mart for $15. Assembling it and making sure it boots to BIOS is the difficult bit, installing windows and setting XMP are incredibly easy by comparison.

Oh, I've seen buying keys before, I just always assumed the giant savings of ~$200 was too good to be legit. How the hell does that work?

10% fps difference with dual rank RAM was from these videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UkGu6A-6sQ&t=461s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGux0pANft0&t=102s

And yeah, b550 and NVMe is probably what I'll go with.

Edit: Just realised the NVMe SSD doesn't have DRAM and the Samasung SATA does. Thoughts on which one is better?

crepeface fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Mar 18, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Adding to the discussion, something a lot of people miss is that their product recommendations are not always 1:1 with their purchasing recommendations.

GN has access to a shitload of hardware and data to know what is objectively best at [whatever metric], but at the end of the day I think 80-90% of their staff has 3-5+ year machines at home.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah all of that is fair and like I said I don't have a problem with their methodology particularly, all the tech youtubers have to do deep dives into the minutiae to discern where the differences are, and their dives are the deepest and most thoroughly evidential. I suppose I'm mainly speculating about how that information is then taken and interpreted by their watchers. Maybe it reflects me more than them but I feel if I was just basing my purchasing decisions on information from GN I'd get way too hung up on minor details and differences that make very little difference in the overall build, and second guessing my choices, rather than some of the other tech youtubers I've watched where they're more like 'here's your choices, here's the testing we did, most of these are fine don't worry about it if you're not doing extreme overclocking', case in point being the Fuma 2 - the capped fan speed is perfectly fine for the majority of users who would use it to cool medium TDP CPUs, and would only be an issue if you're trying to use it on an OCed 5900x or 5950x. But I feel if you watched that video with a 5600x you might get hung up on the details and end up going for a 360mm AIO because it's at the top of the chart.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 18, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I'm having a weird issue with my PC. I was messing around my fan curve to cut down on the amount of ramping up and down from the CPU fan, so instead of just going auto (which sets the fan to run at 20% at 0, 30% at 40 degrees, etc), I set it to run at 50% until it hit 50 C, then ramp up from there. However, in Ryzen Master, it was saying my Ryzen 5 3600 was running in the mid to high 50s when idling, and Open Hardware said the same. I just set the curve back to normal (ie, lower RPM) and my temps are in the 30s again. Any idea of why this is happening? I'm using the 150 TDP Pure Rock 2

change my name fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 18, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
AMD's site sucks dog turds holy gently caress

got to the payment confirmation and then nothing

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
I live in the United States. I don't live near a Microcenter.

Needing to upgrade my tower because a 4th gen i5 just isn't cutting it anymore. The system is to be used for streaming games as a VTuber, which means running face tracking software (prprlive or VTube studio) alongside Streamlabs OBS and the game itself. My two monitors are super old 1080p 60Hz, but I'm hoping to upgrade those next year.

In the future when GPU prices go down or my funds go up, the system will also be used for streaming VR game sessions (HTC VIVE).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($93.89 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($224.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: My GTX 960 still works, so I plan on using that until GPUs become affordable again, then maybe something like a 3070.
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case. <- My current case. Aside from lacking a USB-C header, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't do the job.
Power Supply: *EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1087.81
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-18 16:22 EDT-0400

I'm not sure if my choice of cooler is overkill, so looking for advice on that.
I'm also looking for a sanity check on the power supply, if that will be a reliable model and if it's not too overkill considering my planned GPU expansion.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Vinigre posted:

I'm also looking for a sanity check on the power supply, if that will be a reliable model and if it's not too overkill considering my planned GPU expansion.

Everything looks good. The 5800x apparently runs hot so a decent cooler is advisable. The Noctua U12S is fine but you can get the Fuma 2 for $15 cheaper, which outperforms it handily and is even a match for the ~$100 U12A. Your PSU is a decent brand. 650W would be perfectly sufficient for your eventual GPU but it's not like the one you've got there is overpriced.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A few months ago, I posted a build I was looking at. Since then I've acquired a GPU and a couple other parts. Could someone please sanity check the build as it stands before I go buying more stuff?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450M BAZOOKA MAX WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($93.89 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team MP33 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon) Acquired
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB HYBRID Video Card I got this very cheap from a friend when my current build's GPU shat the bed, so it's going into the next build
Case: Cougar MX330-G ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.98 @ Newegg) Acquired
Power Supply: *Thermaltake Smart BX1 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $572.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-18 17:29 EDT-0400

to recap, I'm mostly just looking for a good mid-ish-range gaming rig for the next while. My old rig is painfully bad and most of the components are 10+ years old and I want to replace everything and start fresh. Does this all look ok, as far as pricing and such?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
I would never use the PCpartspicker parametric selection for a PSU.

The Corsair CX is a thread standby if you are going for something bronze-tier.

e:If you're not particularly budget-constrained, then for your use case there is an argument for spending a bit more on a good gold-rated PSU with a 10 year warranty(example) .

If you are budget constrained, you can save $10 with a miniscule drop in performance by dropping to a CL18 RAM kit.

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 19, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Vinigre posted:

I live in the United States. I don't live near a Microcenter.

Needing to upgrade my tower because a 4th gen i5 just isn't cutting it anymore. The system is to be used for streaming games as a VTuber, which means running face tracking software (prprlive or VTube studio) alongside Streamlabs OBS and the game itself. My two monitors are super old 1080p 60Hz, but I'm hoping to upgrade those next year.

In the future when GPU prices go down or my funds go up, the system will also be used for streaming VR game sessions (HTC VIVE).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($449.00 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($224.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: My GTX 960 still works, so I plan on using that until GPUs become affordable again, then maybe something like a 3070.
Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case. <- My current case. Aside from lacking a USB-C header, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't do the job.
Power Supply: *EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1087.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-03-18 16:22 EDT-0400

Some of the only 3070s I could find were the overclocked ones that recommend 750w. It's partly why I'm going with that instead of 650w.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

crepeface posted:

Oh, I've seen buying keys before, I just always assumed the giant savings of ~$200 was too good to be legit. How the hell does that work?

Business PCs came with an OEM Win7 pro key on a sticker, but most businesses use volume licensing like MAK or KMS to license the OS. During the Win10 push, Microsoft allowed free upgrades from 7 to 10, and also allowed you to activate a fresh copy of 10 with a 7 key. They were supposed to have stopped doing that a couple years ago, but never did and it still works like a charm.

Or maybe there's some other magic going on. LodgeNorth claims his keys aren't OEM so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So are there any ATX cases narrower than the Meshify 2 Compact or Define 7 Compact that'll fit a DH-15s?

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Is the ~1000$ mid range build dead for good?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Eventually the shitcoin craze will crater, again, and you'll be able to buy GPUs for less than 3 grand. Ballpark something like $600 in non-gpu costs for a solid baseline like a ryzen 3600.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You can get every PC component right now easily except the GPU. It's an improvement from last year when you couldn't find PSU either.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
What would one recommend as a good CIC CPU water cooler? I have room for two fans on the top and front of my case, one in back. Power and noise isn't an issue.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 20, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

The Arctic Liquid Freezer II is pretty well regarded.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I really like mine. I've only got the 240mm version but it's extremely quiet and cool.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

NeoSeeker posted:

What would one recommend as a good CIC CPU water cooler? I have room for two fans on the top and front of my case, one in back. Power and noise isn't an issue.

I'm trying to see how far a lidded 7700k will go.

Watch a YouTube video of someone installing a I/O in your case if you can.

It’s how I learned that the case I was shopping for it doesn’t actually fit a radiator up top because it hangs over the motherboard and hits tall ram.

I think most AIOs are similar enough that it’s worth considering what other software you have to run in the background and whether or not you want to buy more components from that company.

I stick to corsair because I’m already in that RGB ecosystem anyway.

But if I recommend you a corsair cooler you’re gonna have to download and run “icue” just to be able to control it’s pumps and fans.

If you’re already running icue for another product of course that’s not an issue.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...t=#rotatingText

Sometimes corsair has sales directly on their website but I’m not seeing much right now for AIOs.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

FreeKillB posted:

I would never use the PCpartspicker parametric selection for a PSU.

The Corsair CX is a thread standby if you are going for something bronze-tier.

e:If you're not particularly budget-constrained, then for your use case there is an argument for spending a bit more on a good gold-rated PSU with a 10 year warranty(example) .

If you are budget constrained, you can save $10 with a miniscule drop in performance by dropping to a CL18 RAM kit.

What's the appreciable difference between the bronze and gold ratings for a PSU? I assume vagaries, but don't know the specifics there.

And other than the PSU, does everything else look ok?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

What's the appreciable difference between the bronze and gold ratings for a PSU? I assume vagaries, but don't know the specifics there.

It’s efficiency (wattage in->wattage supplied to the computer) ratings, basically.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Mu Zeta posted:

You can get every PC component right now easily except the GPU. It's an improvement from last year when you couldn't find PSU either.

Availability for Ryzen in the UK isn't normal yet, either the usual stores have no stock or the prices are inflated.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Availability for Ryzen in the UK isn't normal yet, either the usual stores have no stock or the prices are inflated.

Pretty much the same in Canada. Though I did get lucky last week and found/ordered a 5800X.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Five months ago, I decided to put off buying a complete system including GPU and instead opted to grab everything but the GPU late January and then hope for the GPU prices to drop by mid-late March.

Let me check in on the availability and prices of the RTX cards.

3060 6GB 599€
3060 12GB 779€
3070 8GB 1049€
3080 unavailable
3090 24GB 2399€

Alright then.

:cripes:

/edit:
Oh, the 2060 6GB that I bought in February of 2020 for 380€ is now 499€ :lol:

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

It's an efficiency rating. In turn, low efficiency ratings generally mean lower quality (at least up to gold, beyond gold it rarely matters).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It's an efficiency rating. In turn, low efficiency ratings generally mean lower quality (at least up to gold, beyond gold it rarely matters).

I’ve never seen anything past gold that wasn’t for a workstation or the most truly more-money-than-sense type enthusiasts.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Five months ago, I decided to put off buying a complete system including GPU and instead opted to grab everything but the GPU late January and then hope for the GPU prices to drop by mid-late March.

Let me check in on the availability and prices of the RTX cards.

At least you have the 2060, that's enough GPU to be going on with for the time being. Also there's no such thing as a 6GB version of the 3060, there's only a 12GB version and then the 3060ti which has 8GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

What's the appreciable difference between the bronze and gold ratings for a PSU?

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve never seen anything past gold that wasn’t for a workstation or the most truly more-money-than-sense type enthusiasts.
Platinum rated PSUs are good for Small Form Factor (SFF) builds because you're generally limited on cooling so you want to add as little heat as possible to the case.

Pretty much all SFF components come at a premium, so it's generally not a big ask of SFF builders to pay a little more for a higher efficiency PSU.