Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

To survive zombies in Canada you just need to be able to survive one winter beyond about 52N inland. The zombies will be so freezer burned that they won't be able to function

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Saladman posted:

A place they can just walk to? Better luck on Newfoundland, although I'm not sure about the canonical ability of zombies to walk underwater.

Neat map though. I had no idea people lived so far up the valleys in BC.

I hear the place is a natural fortress. Protected from the NW - N - NE with cold. Protected from the W and S by mountain ranges. You would only have to build a large wall anti-zombies in the SE.

You want to live in a place that is easy to defend against zombies, but not too cold.

We need more Canada maps, to study this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Remember about 15 years ago when zombies were real big and the idea of society collapsing was still comfortably in the realm of fiction?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

And most of the yellow section's population is in the Great Lakes area of Ontario, too.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

Remember about 15 years ago when zombies were real big and the idea of society collapsing was still comfortably in the realm of fiction?

I really hated that phase. Partly because you couldn't talk about societal collapse without people talking about their zombie apocalypse bug-out bags with duct tape and a flashlight and their elaborate plan to travel 5km to get to this totally cool house with plenty of weed plants.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My plan was to head to an old Spanish fort on the coast

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I found a new thing on wikipedia.

International presidential trips of Barack Obama

International presidential trips of some other jerk

International presidential trips made by Benigno Aquino III, former president of the Phillipines

International presidential trips made by Hassan Rouhani, president of Iran

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Lakes, rivers, coasts...people tend to congregate around them.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Spazzle posted:

Egypt is striking, but I wouldn't be suprised if California was roughly equally skewed. Or Canada.

I found a couple maps with size buckets that almost match.

I tried to recolor CA to match Egypt:

Of course "roughly equally skewed" has a lot of wiggle room but looking at these I lean nah.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
California isn't all that interesting, because it's a bunch of random spots rather than a nice continuous string.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Sax Solo posted:

I found a couple maps with size buckets that almost match.

What's up with that line out in the western desert in Egypt? There's no road or oasis anywhere near there. It's also oddly missing some other oases between Bawiti and Mut, namely Farafra and Abu Minqar. Neat map, weird phantom populations.

There are a lot of desert tracks out there, probably by military? https://www.google.com/maps/place/Egypt/@23.8110091,25.2749788,8161m/

Cave of Swimmers has been closed access for a decade unless you work for National Geographic and have exceptional government access. I couldn't find any military settlements in the Western Desert although presumably there are some. Definitely no road out there, so the lines suggesting continuous low-density habitation are odd.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 19, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Zerzura.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It might just be a geotagging error, but I like the idea of there being one Dutch teenager just hangin' in the western desert for some reason: https://www.google.com/maps/@23.077...!7i10752!8i3486

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Kennel posted:

California isn't all that interesting, because it's a bunch of random spots rather than a nice continuous string.
Oh my reaction was how the path of I-5 is pretty easy to see.

vvv oh yeah oops

Sax Solo fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 19, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sax Solo posted:

Oh my reaction was how the path of I-5 is pretty easy to see.

That’s state highway 99, not I-5. Fresno is the largest city not served by an interstate.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Count Roland posted:

I really hated that phase. Partly because you couldn't talk about societal collapse without people talking about their zombie apocalypse bug-out bags with duct tape and a flashlight and their elaborate plan to travel 5km to get to this totally cool house with plenty of weed plants.

If you weren't a total waste of carbon it was a fun little thought experiment to make non-idiots realize just how fragile modern civilization is and also think about things like disease vectors and stuff like that. Most people just wanted to jerk off to how rugged they pretended they were and often did so as an excuse for very thinly veiled racism. I'm glad the fad seems to have mostly passed

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The only way I take my zombies nowadays is korean. They've put out a ton of good zombie stuff in the past five or so years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Count Roland posted:

I really hated it too because I was into zombies before it was cool, and then suddenly every rear end in a top hat who didn't even know who Romero is was talking about them.

Well, anyway. Of course it mostly turned into masturbatory survivolist nonsense rather than what zombies were really about.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

CommonShore posted:

And most of the yellow section's population is in the Great Lakes area of Ontario, too.

not as much as you would think. the majority is, certainly, but you've also got nova scotia, new brunswick, new foundland and labrador, and PEI.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think my favourite book of that phase was definitely World War Z, which had characters heap scorn on the survivalist wankery, referring to them as LaMOEs (Last Men On Earth) who mostly just ended up being an obstacle to society getting back on its feet.

I did also like The Knowledge, which came out at the very tail end of the fad and was something of an antidote to it in my view; highly focused on advice on how to rebuild society after a hypothetical collapse, it underscores heavily that any hope for a future would lie in the people who could work together, not the people who sit in their bunkers with nothing to do but jack off for the rest of their lives.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's an incredible misanthropy to zombies too. Like not just in the way that zombie defense plans could easily be repurposed towards mass murdering unarmed crowds, but in the way that when zombies are metaphors for something else, it's often something more directly misanthropic like the unthinking masses. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of zombie media portrays postapocalyptic humanity as a wreck that's unable to get along, just killing eachother in the ruins.

But anyways, map

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Kennel posted:

It isn’t really random - the <10 and <1 density is basically mountains and desert and the former break up the urban and main agricultural areas.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Looking at the New Jersey Map:

you can pretty clearly see the I-80, I-95/Turnpike/Northeast Corridor and Parkway corridors. Highways: New Jersey's Niles.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

As far as US states go, Colorado is pretty linear. Not Egypt but most of the population lives right on the line between the flatlands and the mountains.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's an incredible misanthropy to zombies too. Like not just in the way that zombie defense plans could easily be repurposed towards mass murdering unarmed crowds, but in the way that when zombies are metaphors for something else, it's often something more directly misanthropic like the unthinking masses. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of zombie media portrays postapocalyptic humanity as a wreck that's unable to get along, just killing eachother in the ruins.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only way I take my zombies nowadays is korean. They've put out a ton of good zombie stuff in the past five or so years.
Yeah. At least the stuff I've seen out of Korea is oddly... wholesome? No obvious "these people are bad for being zombies" stuff, and the focus is on people connecting and overcoming, with a promise of the whole thing being an event rather than the new normal. Given recent events, I'm actually reminded of the much more sensible zombies = disease outbreak angle, in which case it frankly makes sense that Korea produces media where it's a serious event to overcome while Western media tells us it's impossible to do anything.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The original World War Z mostly felt like it was being very critical of capitalism, globalisation, and American exceptionalism and imperialism, even if it made a few naive slip ups here and there, and ends quite optimistically, although I believe the author has said some things to the contrary, but hey, reader response takes primacy and all that.

The whole 'battle of Yonkers' sequence was a very obvious critique of American military conduct, where all the wizzbang murder toys are meant to produce 'shock and awe' but that doesn't work on zombies.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Percentage of ICU beds occupied per state

Elections, consequences, etc.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

RoastBeef posted:

Looking at the New Jersey Map:

you can pretty clearly see the I-80, I-95/Turnpike/Northeast Corridor and Parkway corridors. Highways: New Jersey's Niles.

Connecticut is pretty similar - you see I-95 running along the coast east to west, and I-84 coming diagonally from the southwest and I-91 coming up from the middle, with both passing through Hartford and into Massachusetts, leaving a whole lot of not much in our northwest and northeast corners.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Connecticut is an apt name for a strip of land whose entire purpose basically is connecting New York and Boston.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The only show that treated the zombie scenario with thought and a willingness to explore its implications was Z Nation

VVVV
Indeed

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 20, 2021

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

steinrokkan posted:

The only show that treated the zombie scenario with thought and a willingness to explore its implications was Z Nation

Z Nation owns

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Bodyholes posted:

As far as US states go, Colorado is pretty linear. Not Egypt but most of the population lives right on the line between the flatlands and the mountains.

The Front Range really is fairly narrow. If you go 30 mins east of the city limits of Denver, Colorado Springs or Pueblo it turns into Kansas really quick.

Map of European surnames that mean smith.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

frankenfreak posted:

Connecticut is an apt name for a strip of land whose entire purpose basically is connecting New York and Boston.

It's the opposite of this, it's to keep them away from killing each-other.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Soviet Commubot posted:

The Front Range really is fairly narrow. If you go 30 mins east of the city limits of Denver, Colorado Springs or Pueblo it turns into Kansas really quick.

Map of European surnames that mean smith.

Just checked and there are about 220 people with Smed as their last name in Sweden. Ive certainly never heard it spoken as a name in my life.

Its no Smith or Schmidth thats for sure!

In fact occupational last names are rare as hell come to think of it. Its more meadows and trees and flowers and valleys etc

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Just checked and there are about 220 people with Smed as their last name in Sweden. Ive certainly never heard it spoken as a name in my life.

There's about double the who are named Smeds. But they're both dwarfed by the 2 358 Schmidts. Something something snow Germans.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
And almost exactly as many Smiths as Schmidts. Curious and suspicius :tinfoil:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
According to wiki all the top 20 swedish surnames are patronymics so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Just checked and there are about 220 people with Smed as their last name in Sweden.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

There's about double the who are named Smeds.

Mr. Smeds' only claim to fame is that time he sold a hat to a certain Mr. Spats.