Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I enjoyed nfs heat a lot, but still not enough to finish it - and I have a real affinity for games set in places I live. It's better than most recent nfs games but the upgrade system is hosed, you'll spent half the game around 100 overall scrounging for upgrades, then suddenly unlock engine upgrades, buy a shitheap beater, upgrade the engine and be at like a 300+ score outranking all your other cars and jumping higher quickly. Progression is kind of clumsy and it was supposed to be a game where the game was progression.

Visually very nice and does engineer some fun races, I wouldn't skip it if you are a fan of racers like it.

Everyone that hasn't played disco elysium but likes the sound of it based on the last few posts should dive in. Don't read further, they did good explaining it without giving too many surprises away. I'm excited to double dip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cardiovorax posted:

She certainly might enjoy this one, then. In terms of its mechanics and systems, the closest comparison to Disco Elysium that I've ever been able to think of is the Quest for Glory series - the "adventure game with RPG elements" genre isn't exactly very big, but what is there is overall high quality. They even have a similarly irreverent kind of humor to them, although they don't really share all that much else.

The Council is totally nailing this for me so far. I'm kind of excited that they're working on a Vampire game and I hope it doesn't implode like Bloodlines 2 has

fridge corn posted:

Wondering about the 8mplcations of watching the Tim Roger's cyberpunk review without having played cyberpunk (but intending to at some point)

At least 50% of that runtime is going to be unrelated divergences, including probably a full review of the Japan-only Shadowrun point-and-click adventure game for the Mega CD

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I still think the overhaul of the menus in Dark Souls 2 is/was way under appreciated and I was very hacked off that they undid it completely for DS3. They're so good for working on your Fashion Souls!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Akuma posted:

I still think the overhaul of the menus in Dark Souls 2 is/was way under appreciated and I was very hacked off that they undid it completely for DS3. They're so good for working on your Fashion Souls!!

Big Dark Souls II fan and yeah it took me a while to get used to the buttons being different, but it is so much easier to go through items in 2 compared to 1.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Thinking I need to start playing Sekiro

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I played Disco Elysium and Outer Worlds back to back. It did not work out well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Disco Elysium got refused classification in Australia for any of you Oz goons

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol wtf

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

fridge corn posted:

Thinking I need to start playing Sekiro

I stopped right before the Guardian Ape awhile back, and I constantly think about picking it back up again. I think the thought of playing it is more fun than actually playing it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I stopped at the corrupted monk which from what i understand is a good chunk through

Man i did not really enjoy my time with Sekiro but the peaks were fantastic Both guardian ape fights, stabbing the giant snake in the eye, finally killing the lightning pagoda dude.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Man i did not really enjoy my time with Sekiro but the peaks were fantastic Both guardian ape fights, stabbing the giant snake in the eye, finally killing the lightning pagoda dude.

100% agree. The absolute zen-like zone I was in while fighting Genichiro on the roof was something I hadn't experienced in a long time with a video game. At that moment all that existed in this world was that boss and me. It was a friggin rush!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Suck-iro and that's gospel

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Suck-iro and that's gospel

More like Nier AutoFLAT-a

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
More like Disco E-bored-ium

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think watching a 9 hour critique of the most critiqued video game of all time is the psychological equivalent of going down a gigantic theme park water slide but it’s totally dry

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

More like Disco E-bored-ium

I would also have accepted "More like Disc-Blow SmellWeePeeBum"

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Disco Elysium got refused classification in Australia for any of you Oz goons

You call that a classification? THIS is a classification!

Top tier australia jokes today mates

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Sekiro is both the hardest game I’ve ever played (no boss in any souls game has taken me two days like genichiro) but also the best game I’ve ever played (nothings ever felt more amazing than beating genichiro).

If you are intimidated by the difficulty I think there’s a way to summon now? If not, there’s absolutely way to cheese every boss you’re stuck on. Wether it’s a cheese or just using a specific weapon that greatly simplifies the fight, there’s ways to keep going for maximum fun. I’ll never forget the experience.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I really wanted to like Sekiro so much but I simply bounced off it on so many levels that I returned it after playing it during a weekend.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am exceptionally excited to get to Sekiro. I have no real clue what the game will be like, other than a smattering of info but I will be treating it like a dessert after besting the universe of dark souls.

A parrying 'rhythm' game sounds up my alley in every way.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the “rhythm” game aspect is overstated, it’s just a game about paying attention to the screen. Rhythm implies there being a back-and-forth and by the time you’re in the zone with the game the only enemies you don’t instantly destroy are boss fights.

The joy of Sekiro for me was the way every basic mob feels impossibly op at first and then you reduce them to lunch meat.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I really wanted to like Sekiro so much but I simply bounced off it on so many levels that I returned it after playing it during a weekend.
Sorry to hear it. Sekiro is a great game, but it definitely isn't for everyone. It's really uncompromising about how it wants you to play it, so if that just doesn't click with you, there isn't really much you can do.

VideoGames posted:

I will be treating it like a dessert after besting the universe of dark souls.
That'll be interesting to see, because one of the most interesting things about Sekiro is that the people who often have the greatest difficulty with it are long-time Dark Souls fans. It might be a From game, but it certainly is not a Souls game, and that can be hard to get used to.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

That'll be interesting to see, because one of the most interesting things about Sekiro is that the people who often have the greatest difficulty with it are long-time Dark Souls fans. It might be a From game, but it certainly is not a Souls game, and that can be hard to get used to.

I think as I am not a long time Dark Souls fan , that it might work for me.
I have really only been playing the games for a few months and the fact that I have been able to just switch gears between DS1 and DS2 and keep on trucking is a benefit of this short period. Perhaps switching into Sekiro mode will be nice and simple.

No way to tell though :)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Im just thinking that the rate at which VG is powering through the Souls games I should probably get started on Sekiro now if I have any chance of getting through it before he does!!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VideoGames posted:

I think as I am not a long time Dark Souls fan , that it might work for me.
By the time you're done with Dark Souls 3, I think you'll count as one for purposes of hours of play time. :v:

Some people find it really easy to get into that new rhythm, though, so it's not a guaranteed thing. I'm just curious which one it'll be for you.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hahaha, I might not be a longtime fan, but definitely a fan!

I think Bloodborne ended up taking me 22 hours on the stream (goodness knows the hours before I started)
DS1 29 hours.
DS2 I am at over 14 hours (more to play tonight!).
DS3 is my most anticipated of the souls games to play and Sekiro of the From games.

fridge corn posted:

Im just thinking that the rate at which VG is powering through the Souls games I should probably get started on Sekiro now if I have any chance of getting through it before he does!!

Haha, I would love to be able to finish a From game before you do :D You had me with Bloodborne even though we were close, I just could not defeat Defiled Amy in time.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It's me, the guy who has platted Sekiro but never beaten another From game

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My Dark Souls PTDE playtime on Steam is 301 hours, DS:R on Steam is 51 hours, but I also have Dark Souls on PS3 (where I platinumed it and have at least 10 characters, probably another 2-300 hours there) and also DS:R on both PS4 and Switch, so probably another 60 hours there. I have a problem

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the problem is you need to buy an Xbox and play it there too :cenobite:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Be gone, evil forces, my soul is mine and I am alive!

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Sekiro is one of my favorite games ever. It was my second souls game and I suffered through it, and got all the way to the sword saint before I gave up.

THEN 6 months later I said gently caress it and started a new game. THIS time I really understood the parrying, and I beat it again, including the sword saint.

THEN I did another run where i got through the first 7 bosses without dying, and now, TRULY now, hesitation is defeat.

But gently caress the grind for the plat Im not doing that

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Haha, I would love to be able to finish a From game before you do :D You had me with Bloodborne even though we were close, I just could not defeat Defiled Amy in time.

Well you've got DS2 in the bag cuz you're already at the point where I gave up on it lol

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Volte posted:

Be gone, evil forces, my soul is mine and I am alive!

:kronk from emperor's new groove 'he's got a point there':

fridge corn posted:

Well you've got DS2 in the bag cuz you're already at the point where I gave up on it lol

No way! Well OK then :D You better get on with Sekiro because I am on the way! Can I reach Sekiro before you beat it?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bows1 posted:

But gently caress the grind for the plat Im not doing that

FROM plats suck. Bloodborne was the only one I bothered with.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Bloodborne was the closest I got but I bailed on the chalice dungeons at the time. One day I will return (and also finally tackle the DLC)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I have literally never platted a game before and I refuse to even try.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I did DS1 as well but yeah. The PS5 Demon's Souls doesn't look too bad but involves killing some bosses in specific ways which is kinda annoying.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Dark Souls 1 platinum wasn't too bad as long as you use the "exploit" where you level up each type of infused weapon, get the trophy, then quit while still in the menu so it doesn't save and you get your materials back. Grinding the channelers in Duke's Archives for their trident was probably the worst part.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGames posted:

No way! Well OK then :D You better get on with Sekiro because I am on the way! Can I reach Sekiro before you beat it?

Probably! I don't even have a copy of it yet! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

As someone with every FROM plat (including demons souls 4 times, and dark souls 1 and 2 twice): you can go to hell

Yeah no but seriously a good amount of them are tedious and definitely not recommended to do