Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Report him for overtime violations.

He's currently under investigation for tax fraud and my future mother in law is still dealing with the courts because he didn't have workers comp insurance

Which makes it a real good thing my milk crate never fell out from under me any of the times I stood on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Len posted:

He's currently under investigation for tax fraud and my future mother in law is still dealing with the courts because he didn't have workers comp insurance

Which makes it a real good thing my milk crate never fell out from under me any of the times I stood on it

Nice.

I knew a guy like that. Dude was a 6 foot something new york Italian living in the South. Walking goddamn stereotype, even had the godfather song for his ringtone. He ran an irish themed bar, too lovely to call a pub. Paid his employees off the books entirely. Served food I wouldn't give a dog. I left that place to cook at Hooters for a while. Hooters was less sketchy than this dude.

Motherfucker practically had oaks and elms hanging out under his shade.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shipon posted:

what the gently caress are they even /doing/? it's not like those people are actually doing anything except meaningless slide decks

I used to work at a place that ran systems which managed Goldman Sachs' meaningless slide decks. They make far more meaningless slide decks than you can possibly imagine, and they all have to be perfect.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like our system had to edit them sometimes, and if we hosed up and made a border line width one pixel too wide we'd get no end of support calls telling us our system was BUTCHERING their slides and that their customers will HATE this unprofessional look!

I literally couldn't see what they were talking about until they put two of them side by side and zoomed way the gently caress in on the line in question. I'm sure their old people customers would have definitely been furious.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
So do techies even do anything other than sleep/jo on the clock

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lmao at working 50 hours a week. My employer gets my 37.5 hours a week, with the caveat that I will spend the majority of that time posting

Eh, I'm forced into 40 hours a week spending most of my time shitposting. I think I've worked maybe 10 hours of overtime in the past 5 years, so it's not a huge deal

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, I'm forced into 40 hours a week spending most of my time shitposting. I think I've worked maybe 10 hours of overtime in the past 5 years, so it's not a huge deal

So are office jobs literally just "go post until we have something for you" and then that thing takes 10 minutes

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

SchnorkIes posted:

So are office jobs literally just "go post until we have something for you" and then that thing takes 10 minutes

Basically.

"be here in case we need you to do something - also here's a recurring task we haven't figured out how to automate that you need to drudge on for maybe 4 hours a week or so"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SchnorkIes posted:

And that's why I make the big bucks!

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Slotducks posted:

Basically.

"be here in case we need you to do something - also here's a recurring task we haven't figured out how to automate that you need to drudge on for maybe 4 hours a week or so"

So by going into a high wage skilled trade I made a tremendous mistake vs just getting a bland corporate gig

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
the purpose of work in 2021 is to make the poors who have to work miserable so that being rich feels better

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

SchnorkIes posted:

So do techies even do anything other than sleep/jo on the clock

we also get mental illnesses and repetitive stress injuries (from all the typing and wanking)

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Cold on a Cob posted:

we also get mental illnesses and repetitive stress injuries (from all the typing and wanking)

But the 300k in total comp starting makes up for that handily I'm sure

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

SchnorkIes posted:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Slotducks posted:

Basically.

After my job managed to implement work-from-home processes for my department, they took a few months to solidify best practices, got every new process streamlined and established, and then promptly laid off almost everybody and shipped their jobs to the Philippines. The only reason I still have my job is because they haven't figured out how to automate it yet, and they haven't bothered or just plain forgot to teach somebody else how to do it.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

SpacePig posted:

After my job managed to implement work-from-home processes for my department, they took a few months to solidify best practices, got every new process streamlined and established, and then promptly laid off almost everybody and shipped their jobs to the Philippines. The only reason I still have my job is because they haven't figured out how to automate it yet, and they haven't bothered or just plain forgot to teach somebody else how to do it.

Congrats to your coworkers on being some of the only post 08 white collar layoffs lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

SchnorkIes posted:

lol most of us aren't making anywhere near that much

like i don't expect ppl here to cry for me, i make 2x what the average person makes in my city but it's not FAANG money

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I get my 5 year bonus of $100 next February if that program survives Bidens tax plan. They only started it after the Trump plan kicked in

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
Where I work all the office guys are on a 5am conference call 7 days a week and sending emails until 3am and make way less than me but I'm seeing that's not typical and my ultimate boss just likes to abuse his immediate flunkies

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

SchnorkIes posted:

So by going into a high wage skilled trade I made a tremendous mistake vs just getting a bland corporate gig

Absolutely not.

Everyone needs a plumber, doctor, electrician, etc etc

The moment a desk worker's employer stock goes higher - the boss gets a raise/bonus they get nothing - the moment a desk worker's employer stock goes lower - he's looking for a new job

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Slotducks posted:

Absolutely not.

The moment a desk worker's employer stock goes higher - the boss gets a raise/bonus they get nothing - the moment a desk worker's employer stock goes lower - he's looking for a new job

Only desk workers have seen wage gains tho, they won't be left behind by inflation. Also they make more money to do literally nothing all day.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

SchnorkIes posted:

Only desk workers have seen wage gains tho, they won't be left behind by inflation. Also they make more money to do literally nothing all day.

If you're in Canada - get into something that's related to living in some sense - home construction, plumbing, electrical, healthcare, dental, vision - get out of any manufacturing, oil & gas, anything remotely interesting.

Our GDP is going to solely transform into housing related things in the very near future.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Slotducks posted:

lmao.

all occupations and careers are worthless timewasters except those in finance, law, and insurance. these are the sectors where surplus value is captured.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Slotducks posted:

If you're in Canada - get into something that's related to living in some sense - home construction, plumbing, electrical, healthcare, dental, vision - get out of any manufacturing, oil & gas, anything remotely interesting.

Our GDP is going to solely transform into housing related things in the very near future.

I'm in the US where our entire gdp is faang or gig work

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

bedpan posted:

lmao.

all occupations and careers are worthless timewasters except those in finance, law, and insurance. these are the sectors where surplus value is captured.

What about tech

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Working an idle-game IT job is hell. You just sit there stressed out assuming everyone is mad at you because you're too depressed to work but too anxious not to try and spin your wheels watching lovely twitch streams just drowning in stress. It's poo poo. It's a blessing during a pandemic but without the pandemic I would prefer any other job I've done before, except that I require health insurance and the ability to retire at some point. Being a janitor, working at a factory, cooking at the restaurant, etc.

The highest quality of work is social, outdoors, in-person, communal and voluntary. Basically being Amish but with social safety nets, beneficial technology and healthcare.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Salt Fish posted:

Working an idle-game IT job is hell. You just sit there stressed out assuming everyone is mad at you because you're too depressed to work but too anxious not to try and spin your wheels watching lovely twitch streams just drowning in stress. It's poo poo. It's a blessing during a pandemic but without the pandemic I would prefer any other job I've done before, except that I require health insurance and the ability to retire at some point. Being a janitor, working at a factory, cooking at the restaurant, etc.

The highest quality of work is social, outdoors, in-person, communal and voluntary. Basically being Amish but with social safety nets, beneficial technology and healthcare.

This blows my mind bc my job much more resembles your ideal than any of your other jobs even and yet I still would do anything to be a googler jacking off to star trek all day bc of the K shaped recovery

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

bedpan posted:

Insurance and lawyers are at least necessary to navigate modern society - Finance is just "hey rich people - pay me to hold your money and I may or may not increase its value" and rich people are dumb enough to take that bet

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
you can logically know that you’re better off than 99.99% of people in the world but still be depressed and hate your life

sometimes the more you think about the former the worst the latter becomes. lol!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Salt Fish posted:

Being a janitor, working at a factory warehouse, cooking waiting tables at the restaurant, etc.

I have done all of these, and I miss them, but I don't miss the lovely rear end pay. Janitor was probably the best because I could just put headphones on and mop floors all night long.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

SchnorkIes posted:

Congrats to your coworkers on being some of the only post 08 white collar layoffs lol

It was positions mostly filled by temps and temp-to-hire people, so they were the most expendable people in the company! And yes the sales and customer service positions are also filled by temps, but who could imagine laying off a salesperson?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Iron Crowned posted:

I have done all of these, and I miss them, but I don't miss the lovely rear end pay. Janitor was probably the best because I could just put headphones on and mop floors all night long.

All of my rewarding meaningful jobs that involved far more actual work than sitting on my rear end opening one e-mail every thirty minutes paid absolute garbage with no chance of higher pay. I would go back to any of those jobs in a heartbeat if they paid even $20K less than what I make now, rather than less than half. The jobs don't make up for the crushing misery of poverty. I might be working more hours in a less rewarding job but I don't need to flake on events because I'm broke so it's a worthwhile tradeoff. Still depressed though lmaooo life suuuckss

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The thing that always concerns me about my job is that no matter where I work, and how long I work there, I'm still technically the new guy, so when things go to poo poo, I get the axe. Previous record was not quite 3 years, somehow I would never make it to that 3rd anniversary. Come December, I'll be hitting my 5th anniversary, and I just get increasingly nervous about this poo poo every year.

Oh, and our parent company has decided that we don't fit in their business mold, so they're going to sell us off sometime in the near future, so that may not mean a thing, especially since I'm almost established here, but I've been through that one before, and it's resulted in being unemployed.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I am constantly worried about getting fired yeah. But to be fair I put in the lowest amount of effort possible and almost never arrive on time. I've been here over three years and recently became the not-most-junior guy. I absolutely deserve to be fired but every time I think I'm going to get reamed for something that seems super serious everyone kind of shrugs and doesn't care at all? Everything is so stupid

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I used to be worried about getting fired but then I realized the woman who made a $90k error only got three days of suspension and the guy who let the $90k error go out the door only got two. I'm safe

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

SchnorkIes posted:

when i did desk work for a decade i topped out at 26k take home and very little is worse than simultaneously having a do nothing job and also being broke as hell, but i was a clerk/receptionist rather than a tech worker

i had benefits tho, and no cold call sales quotas (by a different name, because we were a nonprofit, please) so it was better than call center, but far worse than when i worked as a handyman's assistant for cash under the table (but that's a young man's game and i'm neither anymore lmao)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Jel Shaker posted:

you can bet that Steven Mnuchin did not undergo such treatment, what with his father being one of the banks bosses

I imagine the people who get abused in at tier 1 and the people who run/will run the place are on completely different tracks at these banks.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

I imagine the people who get abused in at tier 1 and the people who run/will run the place are on completely different tracks at these banks.

they are, its failsons of failsons all the way down

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Well, you don't need to start at entry level son, I know you're already ready for middle management.

I see all your subordinates have quit or literally died. Can't be your fault, better get you a promotion away from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Len posted:

I used to be worried about getting fired but then I realized the woman who made a $90k error only got three days of suspension and the guy who let the $90k error go out the door only got two. I'm safe

all the work I do is reviewed by people above me, so whenever I gently caress up, it’s a BIG royal “WE messed this up, what are WE going to do to fix this? Hopefully next time WE don’t make this error again.”