Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Saying that is like saying you brought an indulgence from the church and now you're allowed to go rob people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill

Stanley Pain posted:

Which one of these things do you think is a good target to tackle from an environmental perspective?

People can't eat bitcoins, so probably cryptocurrency

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

Saying that is like saying you brought an indulgence from the church and now you're allowed to go rob people.

Not really. My butt mining is 100% supported by the power of the sun gods. I wouldn't be doing it if I was using a more traditional energy source.

Still is strange how many people are incensed by the environmental impact of butts but really don't give a poo poo to make other, more impactful changes in their lives.

BonerKid posted:

People can't eat bitcoins, so probably cryptocurrency

Who says you have to stop eating though?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stanley Pain posted:

No because factory farming has significantly more environmental impact. If you got rid of all crypto tomorrow the world would still be hosed environmentally.

If we just use CO2 as a benchmark here.

Butts cause about 22 million tonnes per year.

Factory farming is in the hundreds of millions of tonnes per year.

Factory farming also has the added benefit of millions of tons of methane output (agruably worse than CO2 from a GHG perspective), land destruction, etc.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/science/bitcoin-use-causing-huge-co2-emissions-study/articleshow/69821838.cms
https://fullycrypto.com/carbon-emissions-from-farms-dwarfs-bitcoin-mining-output

Which one of these things do you think is a good target to tackle from an environmental perspective?

edit: Bonus reading material ;)

https://www.humanesociety.org/sites...agriculture.pdf

Bitcoin, because Bitcoin provides no value to the world. It's pure waste of energy. Factory farming, on the other hand, feeds people and provides them with burgers.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stanley Pain posted:

Not really. My butt mining is 100% supported by the power of the sun gods. I wouldn't be doing it if I was using a more traditional energy source.

Are we supposed to believe that?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

Bitcoin, because Bitcoin provides no value to the world. It's pure waste of energy. Factory farming, on the other hand, feeds people and provides them with burgers.

Then don't talk about the environmental impact of bitcoins if you're not actually willing to make changes to your life to better the environment.

Fame Douglas posted:

Are we supposed to believe that?

Believe what you like.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stanley Pain posted:

Then don't talk about the environmental impact of bitcoins if you're not actually willing to make changes to your life to better the environment.

I'm going to talk about the environmental impact of an activity that is purely detrimental to the world all day long.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

No because factory farming has significantly more environmental impact. If you got rid of all crypto tomorrow the world would still be hosed environmentally.

Factory farming has significantly more environmental impact overall, because more human beings eat food than mine butts. If we're looking at per capita impact of the miners and their individual decision to mine, it is disingenuous to sidestep that and start shouting "look at the big picture" when you were just arguing the opposite a page or two back. It's really loving hypocritical to urge people to make a personal decision on diet despite the fact that they're barely making a difference in the big picture, while excusing someone for the personal decision to waste energy on a crypto miner because they're barely making a difference in the big picture.

Stanley Pain posted:

Both! "This thing is bad, this other thing is even worse" is not a justification for the bad thing! It is possible to criticize and condemn multiple bad things, you don't have to pick!

Unless one of them makes you a few bucks, then yeah I guess you do have to pick

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Coltan for shiny new cards is now extracted by sun gods rather than child slaves in this new age of ethical mining

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stanley Pain posted:

What changes could I personally make that would offset the carbon emitted by bitcoin mining to any appreciable degree?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I don't eat meat but I still participate in the selling of it

I'm completely absolved of any responsibility

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What changes could I personally make that would offset the carbon emitted by bitcoin mining to any appreciable degree?

Try caring about climate change for a second outside of using it as a trump card against libertarian boogie men. You're totally transparent.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't eat beef, not do I mine coins. I am now the moral arbiter of this thread, and decree that Stanley Pain stops mining butts and uses his solar energy for the power of good instead of personal greed.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm going to talk about the environmental impact of an activity that is purely detrimental to the world all day long.

Just like factory farming more specifically the meat industry. :D

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Not eating meat.

Blotto_Otter posted:

Both! "This thing is bad, this other thing is even worse" is not a justification for the bad thing! It is possible to criticize and condemn multiple bad things, you don't have to pick!

Yes, both things are bad and shouldn't be done. Glad we agree ;). Tackling the thing that poses the bigger threat to the environment seems like the logical choice for things to tackle first.

The Sausages posted:

Coltan for shiny new cards is now extracted by sun gods rather than child slaves in this new age of ethical mining

New thread title perhaps?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

Still is strange how many people are incensed by the environmental impact of butts but really don't give a poo poo to make other, more impactful changes in their lives.

Who says you have to stop eating though?

I don’t give a poo poo about the environmental impact because were all a bunch of wasteful motherfuckers but that thing helps criminals do crime and when you’re mining you’re helping the coins move around.

Thats bad.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

You keep saying "other more impactful" changes, but you still haven't shown exactly what other potential changes in a cryptocurrency miner's life are more individually impactful than switching off their miner, nor have you explained why one need only worry about the "most" impactful change, rather than any impactful change they can make

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill
Defending cryptocurrency by saying there are methods of food production with less environmental impact than factory farming is absolutely insane when you compare the environmental impact of bitcoin to traditional financial systems.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Choosing to not eat is a bigger ask than not throwing terawatts at a non-problem so you can make a few bucks, hth

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

You keep saying "other more impactful" changes, but you still haven't shown exactly what other potential changes in a cryptocurrency miner's life are more individually impactful than switching off their miner, nor have you explained why one need only worry about the "most" impactful change, rather than any impactful change they can make

1a. Don't eat meat
1b. Hunt for your meat if you want it.

2. Find a local farmer/farmers market and source your food from there

3. Get solar power if you can.

4. Switch your power company to a green one if one is available.

5. Use public transit instead of driving.

kw0134 posted:

Choosing to not eat is a bigger ask than not throwing terawatts at a non-problem so you can make a few bucks, hth

MMmhmmm yeah don't eat. That's what I'm saying right? Starve yourself for the great good.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Dammit, I can't find the "poo poo coin" Kelly comic

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

kw0134 posted:

I will not turn off blinky box in bedroom and be done with it, instead I will simply put considerably more effort and planning into an activity I will do multiple times a day for the rest of my life

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

I will not turn off blinky box in bedroom and be done with it, instead I will simply put considerably more effort and planning into an activity I will do multiple times a day for the rest of my life

Yes.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
Stop sacrificing polar bears to the god of meaningless entropy and enjoy a burger like a normal loving person

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
a person not eating meat for a month could save up to 60 bucks and 600 pounds of carbon emissions

If that person spent that 60 bucks on .001 bitcoin, that fraction of a butt would represent 540 pounds of carbon emissions, practically erasing their gain.

if you're lucky enough to own one single bitcoin, well that represents 270 tons of carbon that wouldn't be in the air otherwise, which represents about a year and a half of an inefficient, American lifestyle.

to offset the carbon from a single bitcoin, you would have to be a vegetarian for 450 years.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

to offset the carbon from a single bitcoin, you would have to be a vegetarian for 450 years.

So what you're saying is that I can mine and trade as many bitcoins as I want as long as I live forever but don't eat meat?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

1a. Don't eat meat
1b. Hunt for your meat if you want it.

2. Find a local farmer/farmers market and source your food from there

3. Get solar power if you can.

4. Switch your power company to a green one if one is available.

5. Use public transit instead of driving.
Still waiting for actual evidence that these are empirically more impactful, rather than the word of some goon trying to rationalize his mining habit.

Most of these don't even apply to tons of people. "Simply hunt instead"? Come the gently caress on. Yeah, go buy a gun and tromp into the woods, that won't turn out even more expensive than whatever money you get from mining. Get solar power? Hope you don't live in an apartment. Switch power companies? I have never lived in a place where I had a choice. Use public transit? Have you visited an American city besides NYC?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerite posted:

Stop sacrificing polar bears to the god of meaningless entropy and enjoy a burger like a normal loving person

Normal people are consistently totally wrong

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Let's say Bitcoin was the currency of America. You earn a bitcoin a year, at current rates. Pretty decent living, nothing to write home about but you're doing ok.

You're careful about your carbon footprint, so you only produce let's say 18,000 pounds of carbon a year as opposed to the 32k American average.

To pay you your salary, the Bitcoin network had to dump 540,000 pounds of carbon into the air. It has to do that every year, forever.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

xtal posted:

Normal people are consistently totally unworthwhile

:allears:

Edit: smart to make that quick edit

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Blotto_Otter posted:

Still waiting for actual evidence that these are empirically more impactful, rather than the word of some goon trying to rationalize his mining habit.

I posted some links a bit earlier.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/science/bitcoin-use-causing-huge-co2-emissions-study/articleshow/69821838.cms
https://fullycrypto.com/carbon-emissions-from-farms-dwarfs-bitcoin-mining-output
https://www.humanesociety.org/sites...agriculture.pdf

I mean just removing beef from the menu apparently can help.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/21/giving-up-beef-reduce-carbon-footprint-more-than-cars

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Farms, as industries, produce food so that people can eat and stay alive. They burn carbon to provide a necessity that sustains the current scale of human life on this planet. In what way does the product of a farm compare to Bitcoin?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Farms, as industries, produce food so that people can eat and stay alive. They burn carbon to provide a necessity that sustains the current scale of human life on this planet. In what way does the product of a farm compare to Bitcoin?

There are much better and more efficient ways of feeding the population of the world. Especially once you remove meat from the equation. Current farming practices are far beyond sustainable.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Guys, guys, because we exist there's not difference between eating and turning on a miner to waste enormous wattage. There's no difference between a biological necessity and something that makes Stanley Pain a few bucks. You idiot. You imbecile.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

xtal posted:

Normal people are consistently totally wrong

:burger:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Stanley Pain posted:

There are much better and more efficient ways of feeding the population of the world. Especially once you remove meat from the equation. Current farming practices are far beyond sustainable.

Did you read the question I asked? This seems like an answer to a different question that I did not ask.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill

Stanley Pain posted:

There are much better and more efficient ways of financing the population of the world. Especially once you remove bitcoin from the equation. Current cryptocurrency practices are far beyond sustainable.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

I posted some links a bit earlier.
Please point specifically to where these actually say "an individual choosing to cut out meat is more impactful than an individual turning off their mining rig", because I can't find where they say that, and I think they probably don't say that because it's bullshit. Quit playing this dumb game where you argue for individual actions but when pressed on it you pull back out and look only at things in the aggregate rather than per capita.

BonerKid
Jan 3, 2002

Chill
Me burning a barrel of oil in my backyard: "No, this is totally fine. Factory farming has way more environmental impact than this, and I don't eat meat."

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Dear pearl clutchers: What is your opinion on this post about people who buy NFTs?

i am harry posted:

I hope these people are killed, not mocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

xtal posted:

Dear pearl clutchers: What is your opinion on this post about people who buy NFTs?

My opinion is that whataboutism sucks and so do you