Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not spoilerchat:

How does everyone feel that Midoriya being a regular person is what makes him special now?

it's good. it adds stakes because there can't be another generation of this. it has to end now, or it never will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

it's good. it adds stakes because there can't be another generation of this. it has to end now, or it never will

It also bring up the question of if All For One knows about this limit. If not, will that come back to bite him in the rear end? If so, has he found a way around it(my mind immediately goes to the "Shigaraki was actually quirkless" theories)?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Woof, they've never been great but the translation quality is really poor for this one in particular. Gonna hold out for Sunday.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Deku leaving UA makes sense to me. I doubt he's on his own right now, or that UA would be able to defend him without a massive amount of collateral damage. What I want to know is how he healed. Does he also have a regen quirk, or was it Rewind?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rhonne posted:

It also bring up the question of if All For One knows about this limit. If not, will that come back to bite him in the rear end? If so, has he found a way around it(my mind immediately goes to the "Shigaraki was actually quirkless" theories)?

Not sure how he would. The previous holders only seemed to have figured it out very recently themselves. Although I wonder if the treatment Shigaraki would also have allowed him to be able to hold it without burning out.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Rhonne posted:

I mean, the obvious thing is he's already making high end noumu who are capable of withstanding multiple quirks. Heck, so is All for One and Gigantomachia. I assume that would allow them to more safely handle One for All (it being a death sentence is related to it blowing up limbs, not some actual limitation on people with quirks having it but that their body wouldn't handle it).

Honestly I'm not a fan of it, it feels like an unnecessary addition (and it doesn't actually make Midoriya special, it just adds to him needing to end the All for One/One for All thing now because there's no chance after he's gone). Also for people saying it makes Nighteye wrong, it kind of doesn't, he wouldn't know about this, All Might didn't know about this (and was looking at a hero school for a successor anyway, so he'd have found out upon passing it on to, I dunno, Kirishima or Mirio).

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The real reason Deku left is because he knew his mom would embarrass him in front of his friends.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lord_Magmar posted:

One for All (it being a death sentence is related to it blowing up limbs, not some actual limitation on people with quirks having it but that their body wouldn't handle it).

In last week's chapter the 4th holder says that he died early explicitly because of OFA and him already having a quirk.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

SKULL.GIF posted:

In last week's chapter the 4th holder says that he died early explicitly because of OFA and him already having a quirk.

Well yes, but that strain has increased as it gained power and quirks, which again the whole point of Noumu is they can withstand multiple quirks without issue, which I assume is the actual problem here. If your body is designed for one quirk, adding more without adding additional robustness makes the body start to fail.

Izuku avoids that because he had no quirk to begin with, so his body has to adapt to the entire package from blank instead of being pre-adapted for something else. Maybe, other than that I don't really know how OFA would kill people faster if they already have a quirk unless it was related to the stuff we already know about why Noumu work the way they do.

It killing someone faster because they burn out from the additional strain is reasonable, and we know that human bodies besides All for One and Gigantomachia struggle with multiple quirks as it is, so presumably Izuku not having anything else allows him to better handle the amount of quirks and energy OFA has.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you said it was because of reasons related to blowing up limbs, not because of the strain it puts on the body when you already have a quirk, which was textually established in the manga

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Also hey, congratulations to Shinso for probably getting Deku's spot in 1-A(or would they be 2-A by now?)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
if the quirk you already have is something not physical at all like "can brainwash people with questions" then would another quirk really overload your body

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Aurora posted:

you said it was because of reasons related to blowing up limbs, not because of the strain it puts on the body when you already have a quirk, which was textually established in the manga

Yeah I'll cop to that, I was conflating two separate issues and spoke poorly. There is the issue of blowing off limbs (because One for All is so powerful at this point that passing it on might not be possible for anyone to recieve) and the fact that additional quirks put strain on the human body, which is the reason passing it on to people with quirks shortens their life span and might be very quickly fatal with the current version (and might shorten Izuku's life regardless because even as a blank slate he's still human with multiple quirks and a body not suited for it compared to the Noumu and All for One).

CharlestonJew posted:

if the quirk you already have is something not physical at all like "can brainwash people with questions" then would another quirk really overload your body

They've explained this before actually, to an extent, quirks are still physical parts of your body you can exercise, and the way Aizawa's power works is it actually disables the part of the brain that allows you to control your quirk, so it does nothing to pure mutation, but I think it stops Ojiro from being able to actually control his tail. Therefore even if stuff like Brainwashing doesn't appear to have a physical component you could still overload the body (and brain) with additional quirks. Which is why the Noumu are largely braindead except for the high-ends, their body was made capable of multiple quirks but their brain was not, the High Ends likely have brain upgrades as well as body upgrades and quirk combinations that are complimentary.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 19, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

grieving for Gandalf posted:

What's funny is that it mirrors the thing I like about Asta from Black Clover.

Unless there's a huge swerve with Asta's origins, it has consistently been said that Asta's complete lack of magic (which lets him use his anti-magic grimoire and swords, which could be fatal to handle for anyone born with normal magic) is flat out just a random mutation and not some form of destiny or outside act.

Edit: Also- even though he received the original version of All For One, Shigaraki required enhancement to handle it.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 19, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I do like Deku being special due to quirkless in the sense that it makes it have a hard time limit that ties to the world setting. But it is also like directly feeding into the parts of the series that I don't care for, mainly shonen tropes added to Midoriya. Like the New Powers thing is something I still don't like.

As for the text spoiler talk, me, personally, won't bring them up anymore, it was something for THIS chapter. This is absolutely the turning point to the "end" of the manga (which will probably take like a year or three). loving last page referencing Deku's first bit of dialogue, drat.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I'm not sure I like the direction of Deku just up and leaving on his own. He's making the same mistakes All Might and Nana made and I hope Class 1-A knocks some sense into him. But mostly I just wanted more school shenanigans :smith:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

No spoilers before scanlations if only so we don't have 15 pages of redacted text to PGDN through

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'm not sure I like the direction of Deku just up and leaving on his own. He's making the same mistakes All Might and Nana made and I hope Class 1-A knocks some sense into him. But mostly I just wanted more school shenanigans :smith:

I think it ties in to what Uraraka was thinking about during the joint training arc. Deku instinctively sacrifices his own safety and well-being to protect those around him, but sometimes he needs people ready to do the same for him

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Best Jeanist and Hawks were keeping an eye on him seeing as they just learned the truth.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

EVERYONE SHUT THE gently caress UP.

MIRKO ROBOT ARM.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

kidcoelacanth posted:

MIRKO ROBOT ARM.

That's ridiculous

It's actually just a 3rd leg for MORE KICKS

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
This might be a controversial opinion, but I like Endeavor as a character.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

kidcoelacanth posted:

MIRKO ROBOT ARM.

Wonder if she got to keep her leg too, one was pretty hosed up I think. Also, is that deku wearing torino's cape?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hori you absolute madlad :allears:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I like him too all things considered. He's a lovely dad, but in a very different way than the evil hitler eugenics dad that he appeared to be at first, and even though he's trying to be a better person and make up for his past it doesn't magically absolve him of his actions or undo the damage he caused. But he's also not allowed to just remove himself from the picture and wallow in shame because even though that might be satisfying to see him brought down so low on an emotional level, it's an abdication of his responsibility both as a hero and as someone who helped created this mess to begin with.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

:same:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I saw some speculation that Deku might be in America based on the statue he's standing on in that last panel. Feels like a bit of a diversion given everything that's happening, but I guess he could be there so he can train his quirks without All For One breathing down his neck.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I saw some speculation that Deku might be in America based on the statue he's standing on in that last panel. Feels like a bit of a diversion given everything that's happening, but I guess he could be there so he can train his quirks without All For One breathing down his neck.

I could get behind this. Everything being poo poo all the time and then just rebuilding it without fixing anything systemic sure sounds like the US! That said I hope a plot point is that the self-sacrificing nature of Midoriya and the other One for All users is actually a bad thing. Was always more of a fan of the Justice League as a whole rather than "Superman Does Everything and These Guys are Also There" kind of plots.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
How would Endeavor be portrayed in a less nuanced work?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aurubin posted:

I could get behind this. Everything being poo poo all the time and then just rebuilding it without fixing anything systemic sure sounds like the US! That said I hope a plot point is that the self-sacrificing nature of Midoriya and the other One for All users is actually a bad thing. Was always more of a fan of the Justice League as a whole rather than "Superman Does Everything and These Guys are Also There" kind of plots.

It kind of has been. Or at least it's been shown to be a double-edged sword multiple times. There's obvious nobility in being willing to risk it all to help people, but the story has made it a point to remind us that Deku every bone in his body is not only doing a lot of harm to his own health and future, but it's also hurting the people around him who care about him and have to see him like that. We also know All Might went through something like that too with Nighteye and even though it hasn't gotten a lot of explicit focus there's not much indication that All Might really has anyone or anything in his life outside of Deku and Gran Torino. So... it's good and it's bad and I think we're meant to feel two ways about it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nonexistence posted:

He'd either be forgiven extremely easily and it wouldn't be a problem in the world of the story or he'd be portrayed as turbo hitler

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

It kind of has been. Or at least it's been shown to be a double-edged sword multiple times. There's obvious nobility in being willing to risk it all to help people, but the story has made it a point to remind us that Deku every bone in his body is not only doing a lot of harm to his own health and future, but it's also hurting the people around him who care about him and have to see him like that. We also know All Might went through something like that too with Nighteye and even though it hasn't gotten a lot of explicit focus there's not much indication that All Might really has anyone or anything in his life outside of Deku and Gran Torino. So... it's good and it's bad and I think we're meant to feel two ways about it.

Well this is all true, but what I was getting at was All Might and the previous users basically trying to do everything alone. I know that's a stock shonen trope even with supporting characters, just hold the line until Goku shows up, but I hate it. The last fight was sort of a good compromise on that front, Deku and Shigaraki going at it, Gigantomachia and Best Jeanist showing up in supporting roles, Compress and Spinner with the villainous assist in the escape. I prefer ensemble works, and I'd like it if that becomes a theme as this winds down, that Izuku can't do this alone and he's wrong to try. That's just me though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not spoilerchat:

How does everyone feel that Midoriya being a regular person is what makes him special now?
Deku is extremely special. He just doesn't have a mutant power.

Like it is true that in the context of the fiction, this increasingly-rare but hardly unknown trait is part of what makes him uniquely suited for his role, and we were also shown very clearly how his personality was cultivated by that fact and how that personality was more important than being able to shoot tear lasers. But he's special. If Horikoshi had gone with the "beats all the quirk villains without quirks" route then Deku would have had the same degree of special-sparkle factor Batman does when he gets centered as the unstoppable planner who trumps everyone in the Justice League.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Hawks: Yeah I killed him, judgement call, I have the sanction to do that apparently, and no consequences will be forthcoming. I don't even feel that bad about it.

lol, you'd think there would be SOME kind of reaction, but everyone just moves on to other stuff. First time a "hero" is show performing what amounts to an execution and nobody bats an eye or even questions if there was any possibility of a different outcome. Nobody even really talks to him about it in the hospital either. For a story with some real rosy All Star Superman beats wrt main protagonist(s) this seems like an odd thing to just gloss over.

lmao

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nonexistence posted:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Hawks: Yeah I killed him, judgement call, I have the sanction to do that apparently, and no consequences will be forthcoming. I don't even feel that bad about it.

lol, you'd think there would be SOME kind of reaction, but everyone just moves on to other stuff. First time a "hero" is show performing what amounts to an execution and nobody bats an eye or even questions if there was any possibility of a different outcome. Nobody even really talks to him about it in the hospital either. For a story with some real rosy All Star Superman beats wrt main protagonist(s) this seems like an odd thing to just gloss over.

lmao

I feel like people are a bit less likely to get mad over executing a dangerous villain after Shigaraki turned half a town to dust with one hand. He explained that he couldn't avoid it and the consequences of Twice escaping would be catastrophic and apologised. Sure it doesn't make him look particularly good but what, are they gonna ask the No 2 Hero to resign in the current situation?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So parents are moving into UA...

Can't wait for Mineta to see Katsuki's mother

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Nephthys posted:

I feel like people are a bit less likely to get mad over executing a dangerous villain after Shigaraki turned half a town to dust with one hand. He explained that he couldn't avoid it and the consequences of Twice escaping would be catastrophic and apologised. Sure it doesn't make him look particularly good but what, are they gonna ask the No 2 Hero to resign in the current situation?

If he said it needed to be done and apologized then I guess everyone just believes him and moves on, it's that simple. Like, really?

I've argued before that Twice's quirk was way-overhyped and there were people posting ITT that Horikoshi more or less admitted to feeling like he needed to write Twice out of the story, but it's weird how every time we've seen his quirk in action it's been extremely underwhelming (in a straight up fight, at least) even for first-generation clones, such that the "nightmare" scenario of lots of Nth-gen clones running around (when every new gen halves the previous gen's durability which again, we've been shown is terrible even from the get-go) seems like it would end the second any hero with AoE capabilities so much as sneezed in the clones' direction. This isn't like, extra-textual theory-crafting, this is what we've been shown again and again.

So anyway I guess "pretty much zero consequences for extra-judicial executions so long as the "hero" said he had to do it" is now a canon part of the setting. Seems like a weirdly out of place beat to not have that questioned at all when the tone of the protagonist has just been reinforced as "in the ball-park of All-Star Superman" and the setting has been 100% kill-free on the hero side so far. I'm not even questioning the fact that he wasn't called to some kind of account officially (emergency situation, he's the Nr. 2, etc...), I'm just scratching my head at literally nobody in the hospital scenes even really seeming to care, at all, or it being brought up at all there.

KazigluBey fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 19, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Vinylshadow posted:

So parents are moving into UA...

Can't wait for Mineta to see Katsuki's mother
Panel 1: Bakugo's Mom wipes sweat off her forehead. Panel 2: "Hey Bakugo, your mom is red hot!" Panel 3: Bakugo looks up from his copy of ANGER MONTHLY. Panel 4: One'a those funeral portrait things for Mineta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Nessus posted:

Panel 1: Bakugo's Mom wipes sweat off her forehead. Panel 2: "Hey Bakugo, your mom is red hot!" Panel 3: Bakugo looks up from his copy of ANGER MONTHLY. Panel 4: One'a those funeral portrait things for Mineta.

its actually bakugo’s dad that kills him.

Also he’s all for one