Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Samovar posted:

Uhhh...

Did he always say 'Hoka Hey' in that last panel?!? Cause I think I'm having a panic attack.

That's what he says in the webcomic version (the last two strips were modified from the originals to split up the reveal/change dialogue)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

JethroMcB posted:

That's what he says in the webcomic version (the last two strips were modified from the originals to split up the reveal/change dialogue)

Now THAT'S one hell of a coincidence.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Rand Brittain posted:

Just got a Patreon update from John Allison talking about the history of Circus Windows where he mentions that he'd planned out Wicked Things for a much longer run, but it was cancelled because of low sales. It's a tragedy, although he's probably right when he mentions both the pandemic and the 'this was a really bad year to write a law-enforcement-centric series'.

Circus Windows is in many ways about Lottie's recovery from that and his recovery of how much he enjoys writing her. Really, it's a shame that more comics artists don't just get a Draw Whatever You Want grant.

I bought them all :shobon:

I don't normally buy physical comics ('cos I'm too tight) but I must have spent £200+ on stuff that John Allison's published by now.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 16, 1944)

I've been wondering since this first came up - Beric and Aguar et al know they could have just drawn that picture, right?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (March 27-31, 2000)

Ding!

Told ya we'd be updating this, didn't I?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Discerning readers will remember that Mike and Betty already shared screentime during the Halloween pumpkin patch arc of 2016

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 11, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 11, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 11, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

Now THAT'S one hell of a coincidence.

Who knows, maybe Allison got it via Beanworld.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/18/01

Brenda Starr 2/7-9/46

I don't understand what Messick is going for with Crystal's face. Is she supposed to look Asian or something? She looks more like a poorly preserved zombie.

Smokey Stover 1/14/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

Peter Angelos, owner of the Baltimore Orioles. This might be related to Angelos's unhappiness at the former Montreal Expos moving to Washington and becoming the Nationals in 2005.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 19, 2021

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "Twist The Awfully Worded Knife" Duck (July 4, 1913)

rae the doe sheds a single, proud tear at that pun <3

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Oh great, my life is a Family Circus strip now.

(School uniforms only come in every 2 sizes at my kids' school, and being 4 and 6 that means a big bump.)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Circus Windows

Also, from the Patreon post Rand Brittain mentioned, regarding the "mystery" in Circus Windows:

John Allison posted:

The story doesn't have many moving parts, it's a two-hander with Mildred and Lottie getting to know one another again. The "case" is thin because Mildred just came up with it off the top of her head - it only becomes a thing because Lottie pokes it.

John Allison's Patreon
John Allison's Gumroad store

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

The_Other posted:

Circus Windows

Uh, what's the thing Mildred is handed to the right?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Winklebottom posted:

Uh, what's the thing Mildred is handed to the right?

Carton of eggs, judging by the previous panel

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

This was probably the most press Juwanna Mann ever received. $13.6 mil domestic gross; among 2002 wide releases it slots in between Feardotcom and Hey Arnold!: The Movie. Even fellow "memorable entirely for its title" 2002 release Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever made slightly more money.

Unfortunately Juwanna Mann and the Invasion of Iraq would likely get about the same level of recognition and response from the average American in 2021 ("I kinda remember that. Crazy!")

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've been wondering since this first came up - Beric and Aguar et al know they could have just drawn that picture, right?

Are you saying someone could LIE? On a scroll?!

What a dogshit lawyer.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Green Intern posted:

What a dogshit lawyer.

Ed hates his father and doesn't want to help him, but also tries to make his wife to make the decision for him.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Carton of eggs, judging by the previous panel

Oh, duh. I was trying to interpret the squiggle on the bottom of it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Kennel posted:

Ed hates his father and doesn't want to help him, but also tries to make his wife to make the decision for him.

Truly, the most boomer of comics.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kennel posted:

Yeah, this is very much a "I promised to ask and can't say no myself but I want to make you lean towards no as much as I can without outright saying it"

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (October 18, 1937)

Comic Strips 2021: Pooeyonallaya!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mikl posted:

uhhhhh

has this been edited or did Holbrook really use "simp" 20 years before it was going to be in everyday lexicon :stare:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shugojin posted:

uhhhhh

has this been edited or did Holbrook really use "simp" 20 years before it was going to be in everyday lexicon :stare:

Not an edit, and I can personally confirm it was used back then.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The child support part is odd since she was still rearing them.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Bonsai kittens, anyone?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Not an edit, and I can personally confirm it was used back then.

Yeah I remember a couple episodes of MST3K using it as an insult, only back then it meant "simpleton" instead of what it's morphed into now.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

You can do better, Carrillo.

Mark Trail

DOGS ARE GREAT AND THEY LOVE SALMON!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

"Shinytop" is not good enough.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

The child support part is odd since she was still rearing them.

I think she's referring to Lindesfarne's child support, not those stepkids we saw earlier, with us having already been told that Angelique had no interest in Lindesfarne post divorce and that Kevin had custody. This is a thing, and happens in cases where the mother can reasonably expect compensation for childbearing and rearing. That Angelique received it for a child they had adopted who she wasn't even emotionally attached to just leads me to believe that Kevin had a terrible lawyer.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah I remember a couple episodes of MST3K using it as an insult, only back then it meant "simpleton" instead of what it's morphed into now.

"Simp" goes back to 1903 (and was apparently carny slang to begin with).

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Mikl posted:

So uh... Holbrook ever have any marriage problems?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

somepartsareme posted:

So uh... Holbrook ever have any marriage problems?

Y'all should do well to keep in mind that this strip, especially past this point, is basically furry soap opera: you can expect all kinds of drama, especially when it relates to family, marriage, children, and so on.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ah, beaten on 'simp'. Here, to make up for it, a The Timid Soul from September 10, 1934.

I'm fairly sure that's just an ink splotch and HT Webster didn't actually draw the dog's anus.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 19, 2021

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Keep in mind that Val suddenly vanished from their fishing trip, and when Beric went looking he found signs of a struggle. If it's not a picture of something that's already happened, it would at least seem like a credible threat.

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 23, 1944)

Hey, what gives? You may have noticed that today's Vintage Valiant is looking a little anemic. When government paper rationing hit, Foster reduced Prince Valiant by a third to accommodate newspapers that didn't have the space for a full page strip. Don't worry, this isn't a permanent change: Prince Valiant returned to its original size on December 2, 1945. As far as I am aware, it was the final full page, mainstream newspaper comic strip in the United States, lasting in that format until around 1970. Obviously, it continues to run to this day in a reduced format.

Of course, during the war, some papers still had extra space. To meet both situations, Foster created a new strip to run alongside Prince Valiant, which could be excluded when necessary. The Medieval Castle tells the story of two young English boys, Arn and Guy, around the time of the First Crusade. It's a more grounded and realistic strip, but our two knights-to-be (I think they are technically too young to be squires) should still get their fair share of adventure. Is it any good? I have no idea, so we'll find out together! At the very least, it still features Foster's lovely artwork.

The Medieval Castle (Apr. 23, 1944)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

loving :lol: that this gets immediately dropped in favor of RL finding true love, as well as how the two are only worried that insectivores would get their dates mismatched. There's not even any concern over how hackers got away with all the data regarding their clients, and how it could be sold or used for identity theft.

What possessed her to say all of this during a first date, or any date for that matter? :psyduck: If someone brought up this poo poo while we were waiting for the entrée, I'd walk straight out of the restaurant. This conversation only works because Holbrook knows these two are evil and wants them to hook up.

Mikl posted:

Y'all should do well to keep in mind that this strip, especially past this point, is basically furry soap opera: you can expect all kinds of drama, especially when it relates to family, marriage, children, and so on.

It's really wild looking back on this and realizing how Angelique has always been characterized as an evil, greedy sociopath (whose only good point is that she has these skunk kids). It's a portrayal that worked back when K&K was just a silly furry soap opera and Holbrook hadn't done any Serious Stories yet. Knowing that she eventually becomes one of Holbrook's very few trans metaphor characters has made all this age poorly.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Mikl posted:

That much I get but this strip just came across as especially vindictive. Maybe that's common for soap operas though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits