Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Oh, it absolutely wouldn’t be something you could feasibly use, just something to highlight how many corners LYNX makes you cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think having the option would be nice, but I also think it would result in a lot of gamers complaining that the safety procedures take five minutes of their shift.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They have engine purge key vs switches which is kind of that. Although the key is faster and so cheap it's hard not to use.

They're reaching their size limit for what they think they can simulate (rumors of larger bays be damned) so I hope the focus turns into new ships will have more systems complications that are more compelling than pay space pennies for the easy button.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Hardspace: Ship Fixer, where you dig through a junk pile to restore ships. "I slapped this Class-2 reactor in my Mackerel and now its goes 0-60 in 5 picoseconds."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Hardspace: Ship Fixer, where you dig through a junk pile to restore ships. "I slapped this Class-2 reactor in my Mackerel and now its goes 0-60 in 5 picoseconds."

It's also doing that in an expanding ball of plasma in a 360 degree arc. :v:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

zedprime posted:

They have engine purge key vs switches which is kind of that. Although the key is faster and so cheap it's hard not to use.

They're reaching their size limit for what they think they can simulate (rumors of larger bays be damned) so I hope the focus turns into new ships will have more systems complications that are more compelling than pay space pennies for the easy button.

I'd prefer that they optimize what they already have before aiming bigger, this manages to tax my PC far more than a lot of supposedly more demanding games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bloody Pom posted:

I'd prefer that they optimize what they already have before aiming bigger, this manages to tax my PC far more than a lot of supposedly more demanding games.

I think a major factor is that it’s heavy on the CPU and not the GPU, so a lot of people don’t have computers that are built for that since most games in the past five-ten years are the opposite.

It kills my laptop with a 9th gen i7 when poo poo explodes, it feels like it really needs as many cores as you can throw at it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:yeshaha:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Thruster?
Stuff it in the Cornucopia!
Reactor?
ECU?

The new Barge changes are amazing and make stuff like that super awesome feeling.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Thruster?
Reactor?
ECU?

The new Barge changes are amazing and make stuff like that super awesome feeling.

Yuup! I was burned out on this game and when I read the barge changes in the patch notes, I jumped right back in it's :discourse:. The new Javelins are so awesome and Geckos are still the worst so all's well.

Also I wish they made a ship editor/builder so you could build your own ships and upload to Steam or something. And added material shearing, because hunting for that one crossbeam holding half of a Gecko innards (meat?) is annoying.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 1, 2021

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Material stress simulation would be awesome, but also opens a whole new can of horrifying physics problems for the devs to solve, so I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
There's also something really satisfying about popping off the hull on a Heavy Cargo Mackerel and tethering it all right into the processor. Just four or five huge sheets of nanocarbon being held together by a $5 duct all being processed at the same time.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.
last night I accidentally grapple pushed something that was still bolted down while trying to get the power generator out of the back of a mackerel, causing me to fly backwards and crack my helmet open. as the last of my oxygen seeped out into space, I spun around blindly until I found an easy hull panel, hacked it off, and grappled myself back to the HUB, buying a patch kit just as the oxygen meter hit zero.

then I turned around and saw that the hull panel I’d picked at random turned out to be the one covering the generator. so I flew back, pulled it out, and chucked it in the bin.

this game is good.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Anyone care to guess when the next update and progression reset is due to drop?

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Wait, wait wait.

Does this work now? It doesn't just get stuck on the first item and is actually able to process the entire assembly? Be still my beating heart!

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Teledahn posted:

Wait, wait wait.

Does this work now? It doesn't just get stuck on the first item and is actually able to process the entire assembly? Be still my beating heart!

The barge no longer seems to lock most things in place on the grid. It appears once they pass through the top boundary of the barge, they are unable to move back out and become impervious to damage, so they'll just float around perpetually down there afterwards.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Teledahn posted:

Wait, wait wait.

The barge basically has depth, and a good deal of depth at that. Top layer is a one-way force field for junk so stuff is captured inside and bounces around a bit before it settles. It's not just a sticky 2D plane. It's absolutely amazing when you have multiple pieces stuck together that all go into the barge that previously you'd have to cut apart. This is especially great with Javelins as you can just chuck in the massive fuel tanks, the amplifier/high gain antennas and multiple chunks of the ion ring in at once still connected to each other.

You can also actually fly into the Barge Zone too if, say, you missed a couple of AI nodes on the Ion Ring pieces you just tethered into the barge like I have.

Oh and it clears itself after every shift so not only do you have more room (because it's a 3D container instead of a 2D one) the room refreshes every shift.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Teledahn posted:

Wait, wait wait.

Also you can just grab the entire cockpit assembly of geckos and just toss it into the barge and all the computers and whatnots get processed at once.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I want to try and push an entire marckerel into the barge whole now; see if it marks all work orders aside from metal and nanocarbon as complete instantly. If it does, it could be an amazingly time-efficient way to gain upgrade points

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Slashrat posted:

I want to try and push an entire marckerel into the barge whole now; see if it marks all work orders aside from metal and nanocarbon as complete instantly. If it does, it could be an amazingly time-efficient way to gain upgrade points

If you do this, please report back. I require this information.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cobbsprite posted:

I tried this last night with the light cargo mackkies and this worked a treat.

You do have to strip off the side nanocarbon panels, otherwise the tethers will refuse to move the ship, and the ship still moved very slowly towards the barge.

Overall it was taking me around 5 minutes to do this for each ship.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Space Kablooey posted:

I tried this last night with the light cargo mackkies and this worked a treat.

You do have to strip off the side nanocarbon panels, otherwise the tethers will refuse to move the ship, and the ship still moved very slowly towards the barge.

Overall it was taking me around 5 minutes to do this for each ship.

I haven't got around to trying myself if it still works, but there's a trick to moving objects more massive than the tether limit by using another, lighter object to "push" on them. The idea I had banging around in my head was to cut out the bottom panels of the mackeral and toss them in the processor, then cut loose the top panels, leave them in place, and tether them down through the mackerel compartment into the barge below, with the hope that they'd drag the entire mackerel with them through dodgy physics interaction.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Cobbsprite posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mejdlGbGKDo

While I didn't capture the actual entry and it was for a race attempt, you can still see it's doable and amazingly quick.

El Spamo posted:

Just use demo charges to cut it into pieces in one go.
Tether everything up so that it won't go flying around the whole bay and *click* BOOM

Why Blow it up when you can pilot around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8O-EAbvakc

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 3, 2021

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Just use demo charges to cut it into pieces in one go.
Tether everything up so that it won't go flying around the whole bay and *click* BOOM

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Which ships are best for farming lynx tokens? I find my LT income slowed down a lot once I started cutting up javelins.

Big Ink
Jun 26, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Kraftwerk posted:

Which ships are best for farming lynx tokens? I find my LT income slowed down a lot once I started cutting up javelins.

Fastest? Geckos, drop the reactor, thrusters, ecu and power generator for around 1 million credits per minute and around 900-1600 tokens per run depending on work orders. Or if you're feeling really lazy just dunk a mackerel. Not as many points but the whole thing can be done in about 1:30.

Edit: I made a quick comparison video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_m_jpLTBSc. Dunking is considerably faster and has more profit to go with the time involved but I wouldn't expect it to last past the next update.

Big Ink fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 5, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I have come to the conclusion that the more hoists a salvage gecko has, the more haunted it is and likely to explode in my face.

Or as my friend puts it: "Salvage Geckos were designed by Tzeench."

Had at least 3 more in the front. I go to cut the supports for the airlock with the narrow beam and the nearby coolant line bursts and freezes me to death without setting off the reactor somehow. So I consider my conclusion reliable so far.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 19, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

How do you separate the nanocarbon outer hull hatches from the inner aluminum cabin structures on salvage geckos?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

How do you separate the nanocarbon outer hull hatches from the inner aluminum cabin structures on salvage geckos?

Sever the metal 'pillars' on the corners.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Is there any kind of idea when they're resetting progression to enable the first bit of the "story"?

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

Cobbsprite posted:

Is there any kind of idea when they're resetting progression to enable the first bit of the "story"?

sounds like :iiam: still, based on the discord (where this question pops up every hour or so)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I just started, should I just stick with Mackerels until I can cut nanocarbon? I've tried a javelin and couldn't remove the ion ring without cutting into it because the cutpoints bounce my laser off.

edit: wait this is probably when I use demo charges, huh?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I just started, should I just stick with Mackerels until I can cut nanocarbon? I've tried a javelin and couldn't remove the ion ring without cutting into it because the cutpoints bounce my laser off.

Yeah you need demo charges to cut nanocarbon

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Yep, demo charges are what cut nanocarbon (and those special cut points) now and you get those... soon?
I forget, I'm fairly far in so I forget when things unlock.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

El Spamo posted:

Yep, demo charges are what cut nanocarbon (and those special cut points) now and you get those... soon?
I forget, I'm fairly far in so I forget when things unlock.

I recall it being fairly quick to get demo charges.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Yup. Cutting Charges are your "upgrade" for cutting harder stuff. There's no "+1 Cutty" upgrade for the laser cutter. The Javelins are also the point where you realize that sometimes...you shouldn't or straight up aren't allowed to make clean cuts along cutpoints. I used to carefully segment and pull off the rings of the Javelin hull but now I just put a line of cutting charges up top and down bottom and pull the now split ring segments off instead of doing all that fiddlyness.

Obviously that means you're gonna want to upgrade how much you can hold to get away with such tactics.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Soonmot posted:

There used to be an upgrade to the cutter at the very end of the tree so that you could cut nanocarbon. Most people refused to take it because it was a huge pain in the rear end when you’re working inside a ship and are accidentally splitsawing the exterior apart simultaneously, sending nanocarbon fragments spraying everywhere.

So they removed it and added demo charges.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
oooof I just explode everything with these charges. I'm guessing that the blast decrease upgrade cuts down on the explosion and not the cutting plane grid, right?

EDIT: \/\/\/ Cool I'm gonna party with the hard mackerels for a bit longer to get some upgrades then because I just watched a javelin go up in a wonderful explosion when I accidently ignited the fuel line with a charge and watched the cascading explosions walk their way up to the giant fuel tank in the center.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 24, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Soonmot posted:

oooof I just explode everything with these charges. I'm guessing that the blast decrease upgrade cuts down on the explosion and not the cutting plane grid, right?

correct, a demo charge will cut entirely through any segment even partially contained within the grid, its almost complete upside to upgrade cleanup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Was able to get the first clean up, upgrade and I'm getting better at the javelins. Not even going to look at a gecko yet.

Should I bother cutting away at the cage around the giant fuel tank or just chuck that whole center into the processor? I can get the two edge sections cut down with few problems, but that mass of girders is messing me up. My first thought was to cut it right down the center, but I can't do that without exploding the fuel tank.

I'm also depressurizing the thruster section by popping off the thruster cap and then just lassoing the thruster when it comes shooting out.