Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo, in half an hour I have a short, informal phone interview for a job I'd love to have and my anxiety is through the roof right now. Nothing in the world freaks me out more than a job interview, I'm terrified of being asked technical questions that I can't answer off the top of my head

Don't be. Just say, I'm not sure, I'd have to look it up and congratulations, you're better then most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Kalli posted:

Don't be. Just say, I'm not sure, I'd have to look it up and congratulations, you're better then most.

This. Better to say you’re unsure then to talk like you know when you don’t.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Just sat through jury interviews. Didn't get picked so now I get to gently caress off for the rest of the day!

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Freaquency posted:

The fact that the Snyder cut is 4 hours long is actually the least ridiculous thing about it. The end of the MCU’s Infinity War storyline is almost 5 and a half hours long but no one complains about that.

People absolutely groan that the Marvel movies are too dang long (and numerous). I feel like the trend toward making big budget blockbuster type movies really long has been driven by trying to get people with contemporary media consumption habits to come out to a movie theater. Everyone's gotten so accustomed to bingeable series that come out in seasons that stretch 10 or 12 hours, where they can give time to lots of different plots and do a lot of character development and stuff. Something that can start, play out, and wrap up in 90 minutes feels like a little snack of a story.

BTW when I do watch standalone feature films these days it's the efficiency that really strikes me as the most impressive part of the craft. Because lots of well-made movies really can introduce you to a cast of characters you've never seen before and get you acclimated to their world, tell a compelling story about them, and bring it to a satisfying conclusion where you wave goodbye to the characters and their world forever, all in two hours or so. It feels like a magic trick. Two hours into most prestige drama series you've barely met the protagonist and you're just beginning to scratch the surface of the plot.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

seiferguy posted:

State of Washington did finally announce that all adults 16 and older are eligible May 1, coinciding with Biden's announcement.

It's still gonna be a shitshow given that we've only vaccinated 20% of the state with first doses.

I'm curious how much of the issue is supply and how much is the current restrictions in who can get the vaccine. It doesn't make sense to have extra supply and not make the leftovers open to whoever wants a dose.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The binge watching of shows has really affected how stories are structured and sometimes that's not a good thing. I distinctly remember the 1st season of Westworld being in essence a 10-hour movie and how much it pissed off viewers that barely anything happened during episodes until the last 2.

I'll watch Falcon & the Winter Soldier when I get back from work tonight, as a treat. So far people seem to enjoy it!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo, in half an hour I have a short, informal phone interview for a job I'd love to have and my anxiety is through the roof right now. Nothing in the world freaks me out more than a job interview, I'm terrified of being asked technical questions that I can't answer off the top of my head

Good luck!

Set aside some of your new wealth for buying beer for the goon beer league next season. :cheers:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1372948459985240068

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kalli posted:

Man, I thought this was a joke when I saw the pictures last night.

https://twitter.com/sedonaprince_/status/1372736231562342402

Isn't this like a massive title 9 violation, the likes of which any decent law firm could sue the pants off the NCAA over?

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Made it through the call okay but predictably stumbled some during the free-form "talking about myself and why I want this role" section. I guess they'll decide in the next week or two who to (virtually) bring in for a more formal interview.

Thanks for the goon support!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Skwirl posted:

Isn't this like a massive title 9 violation, the likes of which any decent law firm could sue the pants off the NCAA over?

Could be wrong, but it think IX has more to do with individual schools than the NCAA

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife has "covid arm" which is a thing, apparently. Red area/rash and itchiness, developed 5 days after Moderna injection. Her initial reaction to the shot was pretty mild, just one day of feeling a bit under the weather, but fine enough by day 2 for us to go camping.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
vaccination gangtag attempt

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

the word is dehydrated

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Can we get a Lil' Jon in there?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Thermos H Christ posted:

People absolutely groan that the Marvel movies are too dang long (and numerous). I feel like the trend toward making big budget blockbuster type movies really long has been driven by trying to get people with contemporary media consumption habits to come out to a movie theater. Everyone's gotten so accustomed to bingeable series that come out in seasons that stretch 10 or 12 hours, where they can give time to lots of different plots and do a lot of character development and stuff. Something that can start, play out, and wrap up in 90 minutes feels like a little snack of a story.

Fair enough. I don’t recall a lot of chatter about the length of the MCU flicks, but Marvel movies are generally well regarded and if something sucks and is overly long then the length is going to naturally get brought up more.

I will agree that being able to knock out a self-contained, engaging story in less than 2 hours is a pretty impressive feat, but we’re also talking about movies where the source material is released over years and can consist of dozens of issues. That’s markedly different than something like Nomadland, which is telling a much smaller story.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I’m a sucker for slow burn long form tv shows so I’m happy.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Qwijib0 posted:

here for this

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Qwijib0 posted:

Yes please

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I remember a video popped up on my feed of a UFC fighter "prepping" for weigh in and it's absolutely insane. They basically just do a bunch of cardio all day but never drink any fluids.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Also, gangtang idea: someone should do Moderna / Pfizer / J&J in the style of Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

So how does gaming the weigh in system work exactly? You compete in a lower weight class than you should by losing like 15 pounds of water weight over night and then gain it all back after the weigh in?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

I remember a video popped up on my feed of a UFC fighter "prepping" for weigh in and it's absolutely insane. They basically just do a bunch of cardio all day but never drink any fluids.

I'm a solutions oriented guy so my offered solution is weigh them holding a gallon of water, and subtract the weight of the bottle from the result. They're allowed to drink from it before hand.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how does gaming the weigh in system work exactly? You compete in a lower weight class than you should by losing like 15 pounds of water weight over night and then gain it all back after the weigh in?

Pretty much. And everyone knows that's what the fighters do, because they'll even weigh them post-weigh in to see how much water weight they put back on. It's incredibly dumb.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lol so our entire division consisting of several teams of 5-10 people is transitioning to a singular payroll platform instead of six or seven different ancient platforms and we’ve been on terrifyingly useless training calls for the last couple weeks. Today someone on a team from our location shared their screen to be walked through something and clearly picked the wrong screen to share, because 50+ people across North America stared in silence at their team’s private group chat absolutely making GBS threads all over this training session for about 45 seconds :laugh:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Kalli posted:

Can we get a Lil' Jon in there?

EVERYBODY

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

T-Square posted:

Lol so our entire division consisting of several teams of 5-10 people is transitioning to a singular payroll platform instead of six or seven different ancient platforms and we’ve been on terrifyingly useless training calls for the last couple weeks. Today someone on a team from our location shared their screen to be walked through something and clearly picked the wrong screen to share, because 50+ people across North America stared in silence at their team’s private group chat absolutely making GBS threads all over this training session for about 45 seconds :laugh:

I’m honestly going to miss all these accidental droppings of the thin veneers of politeness and social niceties we surround ourselves with once we return to more in-person functioning. Also it’s going to suck having to relearn to control my facial expressions and eye rolls from a year of not turning on my camera in meetings. . .

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I’m standing in line. I was supposed to get the sweet sweet Pfizer juice 3 minutes ago. Probably another 40 minutes in line or so. Whatever, I got alllllll day

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oh man some florida player just got a new face

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

seiferguy posted:

They also sit in a bathtub of saltwater that's as hot as they can stand to sweat out as much as possible

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Butt Stuff posted:

I’m standing in line. I was supposed to get the sweet sweet Pfizer juice 3 minutes ago. Probably another 40 minutes in line or so. Whatever, I got alllllll day

When I got the shot I was both pleasantly surprised that so many people were there waiting for it considering our worries about anti-vaxxers...and also kind of like, you know maybe we shouldn't all be standing in this room at once.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Pretty much. And everyone knows that's what the fighters do, because they'll even weigh them post-weigh in to see how much water weight they put back on. It's incredibly dumb.

see also: horse racing and jockeys

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

FizFashizzle posted:

oh man some florida player just got a new face

Yeah that was Appleby who is pretty important for us. Hope he's okay.

That pretty much concludes the 2020-2021 Florida Gators basketball season!

Pretty lovely and unlucky year with this and the way Keyontae Johnson collapsed on the court earlier this year.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Ahaha yessss. Just got pulled out of line by the pharmacist to go get a vaccine in a new line.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Qwijib0 posted:

I appreciate this, though I wish it would flash at the same BPM as LMFAO's eponymous song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i am so loving weak lmao

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I want vaccine!!!!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

I appreciate this, though I wish it would flash at the same BPM as LMFAO's eponymous song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNtTEibFvlQ

the timing got funny when I tried to go to .1 sec on some of the frames so I just went with generic neon flash

T-Square
May 14, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Ahaha yessss. Just got pulled out of line by the pharmacist to go get a vaccine in a new line.

My secret super power is all of the lines at the grocery store being long, and some worker will be bored enough to motion for me to come to an empty checkout, ring me up quick, and then run back to the break room or whatever. Except only at Festival Foods.

Wisconsin is expanding their vaccines to include those with a BMI of 25 or over which I have successfully achieved, but when I went to fill out my application it won’t let me because I already completed it, but before that was even a selection I could make :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

T-Square posted:

My secret super power is all of the lines at the grocery store being long, and some worker will be bored enough to motion for me to come to an empty checkout, ring me up quick, and then run back to the break room or whatever. Except only at Festival Foods.

Wisconsin is expanding their vaccines to include those with a BMI of 25 or over which I have successfully achieved, but when I went to fill out my application it won’t let me because I already completed it, but before that was even a selection I could make :mad:

I have the first part of that power. I always pick the wrong line.

I’m now in post vaccine recovery waiting to be cleared to leave.