Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

ShakeZula posted:

Very excited to finally play this game once the Final Cut comes out, mostly because what I've pieced together from reading this thread makes the gameplay sound incomprehensibly complex.

don't be scared. 90% of the gameplay is navigating dialogue trees and occasionally putting on a different pair of pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

ShakeZula posted:

Very excited to finally play this game once the Final Cut comes out, mostly because what I've pieced together from reading this thread makes the gameplay sound incomprehensibly complex.

I've found it to be pretty simple, actually. 90% of it is dialog choices, and the rest is your normal click to move/interact/etc. There's no QTEs, platforming, shooting, etc. I think the most complicated part is either the skills you choose or the Thought Cabinet. For the skills, think of them more as party members than skills and you'll be ok. Each one gives you buffs to certain things (like Perception makes it easier to see some things, Composure makes it harder to lose your cool, etc) and the higher you raise the skills the more they help out, but they will also but in on your conversations more and try to influence you more. Like Electrochemistry really wants to go get hosed up on booze and pills, and will absolutely let you know. For the Thought Cabinet, that's more abstract. You encounter certain ideas and you can choose to make them part of your personality by thinking on them for a period of time. You put the concept you want to absorb into your cabinet and it will give you various buffs/debuffs, and then after X amount of time has passed in game you will have internalized the idea and will get different buffs/debuffs. Some of those can be pretty obtuse, but there's no penalty for not choosing any (and if you want, you can always look up what they do).

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

Its extremely straight forward; the writing just kicks rear end and will account for a lot of player actions.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, when I first spotted this thread before playing the game what I had in my head was something a lot grander than the actual game. The game is good, but I'd say it's pretty much a visual novel and it's very narrow in scope.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wafflecopper posted:

just lol if you don't have a framed picture of kim on your wall

I keep mine in my heart :stoked:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

ShakeZula posted:

The only hard part is opening that one door.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

ShakeZula posted:

A lot of the chat that makes the game sound complex is about trying to get very specific achievements/pieces of dialogue/etc, because a few of them require very specific skill/thought cabinet/previous dialogue choices to get.

Even the skills and thought cabinet don't have to be complicated at all. You can get through the game just fine picking whatever sounds best for flavor/roleplaying purposes. (there's one check required for the endgame that's based off a single skill, but you can get a LOT of bonuses to it by doing sidequests so it's not as bad as some people make it sound)

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
Bad news if you're Australian and expecting to play this game on consoles.

quote:

Disco Elysium, the highly-regarded role-playing game by independent Estonian developer ZA/UM has had its ‘director’s cut’ re-release, entitled The Final Cut, refused classification by the Classification Board of Australia.

As pointed out by Kotaku Australia, the Classification Board’s guidelines against drugs in videogames are strict and straightforward. They prohibit:

DRUG USE

• Detailed instruction in the use of proscribed drugs.

• Material promoting or encouraging proscribed drug use.

• Illicit or proscribed drug use related to incentives or rewards.

• Interactive drug use which is detailed and realistic.

It will be interesting to see how the devs react. I
can almost see them reacting the same way Devolver did with Hotline Miami 2, even if that means they don't appeal the decision and the game can no longer be sold here, which would be tragic.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Sierra Madre posted:

can almost see them reacting the same way Devolver did with Hotline Miami 2, even if that means they don't appeal the decision and the game can no longer be sold here, which would be tragic.

Wait, poo poo. Does that impact steam and PC? I'm Australian.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

coolusername posted:

Wait, poo poo. Does that impact steam and PC? I'm Australian.

If you have the game already you should be fine. The Final Cut is an update for existing PC players.

If you don't have the game... it depends on whether Steam pulls the game from purchase for Australians. I'm not sure at this time but it is possible now that the ruling has been made.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

uber_stoat posted:

i'll find my cocaine skull. who took my cocaine skull.

Love, Harry

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

i'll find my cocaine skull. who took my cocaine skull.

Spoilers: Disco Elysium 2 is just 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

AceOfFlames posted:

Spoilers: Disco Elysium 2 is just 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand.

Harry is already experienced in hitting big-rear end ramps...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sierra Madre posted:

Did they classify the original release? No shortage of drugs there.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Did they classify the original release? No shortage of drugs there.

apparently classification is only required for physical releases, so the purely-digital original was never submitted

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://www.pcgamer.com/disco-elysium-is-getting-even-more-political/
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1372912302635298826

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oBFLAQpnSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2hUbafQCII

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

isn't Advesperascit the name of some city in Mundi?

checking... oh, not only is it a mondial city, it's where dolores dei was crowned. I wonder if this berlin-esque new area in the final cut is there.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Glad I held out on replaying until The Final Cut releases, I may be a little oversated after playing through multiple times for each ideology quest.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

ZA/UM is an art collective. I would say we maybe have more in common with the Wu-Tang Clan than your average videogame studio.

Disco Elysium - I would say we maybe have more in common with the Wu-Tang Clan than your average videogame studio

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
some new VO examples in here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK8EvdUQ7MY

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lmao there's Twitch integration where chat can make decisions??? And they can level you up, too!?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

pcgamer posted:

This has also been an opportunity for the team to address a criticism some players had: that political dialogue options often took things to comical extremes. It's fitting for a game with such an eccentric protagonist, but ZA/UM decided to give the vision quests more "heartfelt and serious" moments, and more nuance. There's room for the detective to grow and mature by the end of them. But there will still be laughs, Hindpere promises.

oh boy, devastation looms

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

does the narration include descriptors in the dialogue? like, in the talk between rene and gaston, we only hear "...whining about your back..." does the full thing go like -
"Have you no shame,"
"the man says to his partner,"
"whining about your back..."
where lenval brown interrupts midway? or is it just the line without the descriptor?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Heartfelt fascism, hmmmmmmmmm.

On another note, just saw the game is getting this big update soon and was planning to get into it again, have any of the previous updates done anything major to the game since release? noticed a few large downloads now and then for the game.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Revacholian Nationhood is incredibly well designed and bitingly critical. I'm super curious how the fascist spirit journey turns out.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's going to be a bunch of guys screaming about how none of this is their fault, it's the women and foreigners. And not having enough drinks.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On another note, just saw the game is getting this big update soon and was planning to get into it again, have any of the previous updates done anything major to the game since release? noticed a few large downloads now and then for the game.

As far as I know, it's been just bugfixes, adding languages, and I believe the occasional small QoL fix, but nothing substantial.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
That narrator voice is incredible, but his reading speed is going to quadruple the length of the game.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Lugubrious posted:

As far as I know, it's been just bugfixes, adding languages, and I believe the occasional small QoL fix, but nothing substantial.

there were also a couple achievements added over time, but they didn't change any actual gameplay. think they were just Palerunner for bugging the game out and Real Musor for getting the game over from sleeping in a dumpster on night 2.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So the final cut is out?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

So the final cut is out?

End of the month

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

wiegieman posted:

It's going to be a bunch of guys screaming about how none of this is their fault, it's the men of wo and foreigners. And not having enough drinks.

fixed

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Proletarian Mango posted:

End of the month

Thank you

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

AceOfFlames posted:

Disco Elysium - I would say we maybe have more in common with the Wu-Tang Clan than your average videogame studio

Rock Paper Shotgun interview with Robert Kurvitz posted:

Jesus gently caress, did I just say in an interview that I’m better than China Mieville? Oh gently caress it, let’s go with it, whatever.

2nd only to CDPR in self-hype

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Here's the new Cuno too. I don't like the new guy as much as the old one, but it's not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N84rQcnAbaA

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Revacholian Nationhood is incredibly well designed and bitingly critical. I'm super curious how the fascist spirit journey turns out.

If you internalize that thought then every time you say something right wing it hurts you

it rules

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So i guess i should wait until the end of the month to buy this game?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

dogstile posted:

So i guess i should wait until the end of the month to buy this game?

if you already own the original then final cut is a free upgrade, so it doesn't matter when you buy it

now, I'd say get it now and play through it, so you can replay the final cut and see the changes for themselves, but it's okay if you aren't a True Honorable Gamer

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Soysaucebeast posted:

Here's the new Cuno too. I don't like the new guy as much as the old one, but it's not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N84rQcnAbaA
Every single skill has the same voice? Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Eason the Fifth posted:

2nd only to CDPR in self-hype

Is it hype if it's true?