Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought the flying was awful tbh

big same. it was tedious to manage and hard to control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The flying felt awful to me with mouse/kb and great with a controller which like, not great for a game on PC to be fair, but still

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought the flying was awful tbh

yeah it was weird and the fuel gauge drained crazy fast

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

felt pretty good to take off & land, at least

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

felt pretty good to take off & land, at least

Yeah this is probably more what I'm thinking of. The take-off feeling was fantastic and the animation on the suits was legitimately really impressive stuff.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I need examples

azurlane, where it's ww2 and the boats are girls and you marry them.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866310

girls frontline, where it's metal gear solid and the guns are (robot) girls (and you can also marry them)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904549&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Kantai collection, where it's WW2 and the boats are gi- wait didn't we do this one already

Khanstant posted:

Yeah right, how could they fit a whole game inside of another one. They'd have to make two carts!!!

They put a smaller cart inside the big one

Harrow posted:

Nothing Final Fantasy at today's conference at all as far as I know.

20 more years.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 19, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Reminder that anthem only has flying because they spent months waffling on whether or not to commit to it and an exec happened to stop by the studio for a demo on a day the coin landed on "yes flying"

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Lurdiak posted:

Hmmm, that's not a lot of games I want to play. I'm not interested in Naughty Dog games or Persona, and some of those others are just eh to me as well. Maybe I should get an Xbone instead.

What games do you want to play?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lurdiak posted:

Hmmm, that's not a lot of games I want to play. I'm not interested in Naughty Dog games or Persona, and some of those others are just eh to me as well. Maybe I should get an Xbone instead.

Bone exclusives are dire, and irrelevant if you have a PC, but the backward compatibility is pretty rad

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ok my friends it is time for some dark souls 2! Iron keep you are going to be explored! :)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A 360 and a pc are the ultimate xbox combo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fridge corn posted:

What games do you want to play?

Idk, I don't have like a list in mind, just the only exclusives in that list that seem like must-gets are Spider-mans and Yakuza. Even discounted that doesn't seem worth buying a whole console for.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Bone exclusives are dire, and irrelevant if you have a PC, but the backward compatibility is pretty rad

Oh yeah, I guess everything I want on the Xbone would run on my PC. I'm just a little worried some of it wouldn't run so good.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I actually own anthem. It came with my graphics card.

I own a digital copy of Anthem as well for PC. I have yet to play it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Counterpoint: Forza Horizon 4 is extremely good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Get A Switch (GAS)

dreamless
Dec 18, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

A 360 and a pc are the ultimate xbox combo

you turn around 360 degrees and keep playin games on your pc

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Convex posted:

Counterpoint: Forza Horizon 4 is extremely good.

true

Jay Rust posted:

Get A Switch (GAS)

also true. if you don't care about sony exclusives, PC + Switch is the pro gamer move

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
conversely, switch + ps4 + baby pc for the little indies that aren't intensive anyway will get you pretty far too

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://twitter.com/LoochMcGooch/status/1372403277124534275?s=19

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
since everyone was talking about being old, y'all probably remember the era when what games you could get was limited by what the stores near your home had and that games selling out/having few copies printed was a real issue. what games were you aware of at the time but never actually got the chance to purchase because you never saw it on shelves?

Daggerfall was a big one for me, I had an ad for it stuck to a corkboard for years but I never saw a copy in person. Blood was another game I was aware of but never saw for sale anywhere, and as a kid that loves Wolf3d/Doom/Duke 3D I would have snapped that game up in a heartbeat. A friend had Homeworld I remember it taking several tries to find a copy. SaGa Frontier is one I rented a bunch but never saw a copy for sale. Secret of Mana was one of those as well, though I did end up getting Secret of Evermore. I received Lunar TSSS for my birthday and only narrowly got my hands on a copy of Lunar 2. (unrelated but I haven't played these since they were contemporary and I waffle between revisiting them and just letting them be because I imagine a lot about them does not hold up.)

Chrono Trigger was really hard to come by, I got it used and still remember paying quite a bit for it. I actually lucked into a lot more JRPGs than I would have in the NES/SNES era because we lived near a really weird used media store and the guy who owned it would point them out to me/had most of the big ones on hand at one point or another. A nice story is that I got FF2 from that store, and then later when back and noticed that the copy of 3 they had had was gone and I was highly upset that I would likely never find another copy. It turns out that when I got 2 my parents made an excuse to go back in and bought the copy of 3 and gave it to me for my birthday.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A what now? I don't even know what i'm looking/listening for.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I said come in! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uhxrPhVO8Y

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uhxrPhVO8Y

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Games Chat Anthem Crew.... "GCAC"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

since everyone was talking about being old, y'all probably remember the era when what games you could get was limited by what the stores near your home had and that games selling out/having few copies printed was a real issue. what games were you aware of at the time but never actually got the chance to purchase because you never saw it on shelves?

Daggerfall was a big one for me, I had an ad for it stuck to a corkboard for years but I never saw a copy in person. Blood was another game I was aware of but never saw for sale anywhere, and as a kid that loves Wolf3d/Doom/Duke 3D I would have snapped that game up in a heartbeat. A friend had Homeworld I remember it taking several tries to find a copy. SaGa Frontier is one I rented a bunch but never saw a copy for sale. Secret of Mana was one of those as well, though I did end up getting Secret of Evermore. I received Lunar TSSS for my birthday and only narrowly got my hands on a copy of Lunar 2. (unrelated but I haven't played these since they were contemporary and I waffle between revisiting them and just letting them be because I imagine a lot about them does not hold up.)

Chrono Trigger was really hard to come by, I got it used and still remember paying quite a bit for it. I actually lucked into a lot more JRPGs than I would have in the NES/SNES era because we lived near a really weird used media store and the guy who owned it would point them out to me/had most of the big ones on hand at one point or another. A nice story is that I got FF2 from that store, and then later when back and noticed that the copy of 3 they had had was gone and I was highly upset that I would likely never find another copy. It turns out that when I got 2 my parents made an excuse to go back in and bought the copy of 3 and gave it to me for my birthday.

I wanted to get Hudson Hawk on the Amstrad but never found a copy anywhere. I did find the Gameboy version in a weird second hand shop in Swanage when we were on holiday which turned out to be quite good. Years later I saw the film and was disappointed he did not throw tennis balls at people for the entire runtime.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Tommy Tallarico gettin real ornery about that oof sound

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Thinking about what to fill time with for the last week until Monster Hunter and also my Gamepass expires, and I gotta say DQ11 sounds much more appealing when I look at the speedrun and realize I could get the true ending in like six hours

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i had to ask my parents to take me to the store like five times each for bomberman the second attack and tactics ogre knight of lodis because i didn't know the exact release date and really didn't wanna miss them!! fortunately everything worked out. i never found a non-rental copy of ogre battle 64 until years later though

i would also try to ask the local blockbuster employees about any old games they were retiring (having no idea how that worked and assuming they just threw stuff out) but somehow still ended up getting joe & mac 2 and sonic & knuckles that way

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My parents had too many kids, so store shelves and game catalogs were mostly for fantasizing about. A lot of the games were better in my head than how they actually turned out, tho!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
When I was a kid with a SNES we were poor so my games all came from the second hand shop. I was really interested in Ogre Quest cause I read a review in the one issue of Nintendo magazine I bought but they never had it. Also I had DKC1 and 3 but could never find 2.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Looper posted:

conversely, switch + ps4 + baby pc for the little indies that aren't intensive anyway will get you pretty far too

It’s not a baby PC but this is what I do too. It’s pretty good!

Lurdiak posted:

Idk, I don't have like a list in mind, just the only exclusives in that list that seem like must-gets are Spider-mans and Yakuza. Even discounted that doesn't seem worth buying a whole console for.

Even Yakuza is on PC/Xbox now. So, you’re just missing Spider-Man. I tried making a list of PS4 exclusives last night and I think the list is the Spider-Men, 13 Sentinels, God of War, Sakura Wars (maybe?) and some other maybe more obscure anime stuff. There’s really not a lot anymore. Even Wattam is on PC!

e: Bloodborne is PS exclusive too obv but that had already been mentioned

wuggles fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 19, 2021

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

I said come in! posted:

Some stock "oof" sounds effect that's in like a hundred video games. Who cares

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rinkles posted:

My parents had too many kids, so store shelves and game catalogs were mostly for fantasizing about. A lot of the games were better in my head than how they actually turned out, tho!

The days of staring at magazine screenshots and re-reading reviews, trying to imagine how games actually played :allears:

I still remember fantasising how cool tesla cannons were going to be in Red Alert and I was completely right.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Holy poo poo this was a mikami game?

I thought I had a chance of getting it cause it was by far the cheapest gb game in this hypermarket (don't know if that's a concept in the states) we shopped at regularly. I'd gaze at it longingly from behind the glass pane every time. (I didn't get it)

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I don't know what it was about Bomberman Second Assault but I couldn't beat any of the stages after the tutorial. I'm pretty sure I was a dumb kid when it came to video game logic.

But I definitely remember riding my bike out to Walmart like three times in middle school waiting for them to get FFTA2 (they never did)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rinkles posted:

Holy poo poo this was a mikami game?

I thought I had a chance of getting it cause it was by far the cheapest gb game in this hypermarket (don't know if that's a concept in the states) we shopped at regularly. I'd gaze at it longingly from behind the glass pane every time. (I didn't get it)

It is a weirdly good game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember getting a guide for .hack//outbreak. I didn't need the guide, I just used gamefaqs for guides, but I was pressured into getting it by the gamestop/eb games employee and my mother so when she found out I didn't actually need it she got real mad at me wasting her money like that.

The guide also got some names and info wrong but it was all stuff that didn't really matter, like getting an enemy's name wrong. I just felt bad that money got spent on it when I didn't want it and didn't need it but felt like I had to agree to it because I was too nervous to reassure them that I didn't need the guide.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Convex posted:

I wanted to get Hudson Hawk on the Amstrad but never found a copy anywhere. I did find the Gameboy version in a weird second hand shop in Swanage when we were on holiday which turned out to be quite good. Years later I saw the film and was disappointed he did not throw tennis balls at people for the entire runtime.

I remember playing Hudson Hawk a lot on the Amiga, the music and the opening stages are etched into my brain.

I should add that I have never seen the movie.

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 19, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Magical Melody: I accidentally sheared my sheep to close to the Sheep Fesitval to enter and I'm not playing a whole other year to enter again so I'm going to call it a day. Tomorrow I'll be moving on to Lego Indiana Jones. I've never seen any of the Indy movies so this will be very interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Why is Lego Indiana Jones on your list if you have no attachment to the movies

I'm legit curious