Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

is their publisher not gonna take a shitload

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Did you do this all through nexus?

I obtained the mods through nexus but didn't use any manager - just stuck the files in the BepInEx directory and it's all worked fine. If there's a better way I might try it, but this seemed simple enough.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I did finally get vortex working. I need to manually elevate... something, every time, and if I dont do it quick it says its installed but its not.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Does anyone have a link to the improved visibility in boats mod? I'm tired of discovering sandbars right by running them over

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I obtained the mods through nexus but didn't use any manager - just stuck the files in the BepInEx directory and it's all worked fine. If there's a better way I might try it, but this seemed simple enough.

Cool thank you!

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

is their publisher not gonna take a shitload

Their publisher made goat simulator

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

Does anyone have a link to the improved visibility in boats mod? I'm tired of discovering sandbars right by running them over

I use the Bigger Boat Explore Radius mod from here, it works well for my needs!

https://valheim.thunderstore.io/package/?q=boat&ordering=last-updated

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Jusupov posted:

Their publisher made goat simulator

So they're taking a goatload?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Their publisher also just posted a video for Satisfactory where they show off the monster office building they just acquired.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Gort posted:

Yeah, I am absolutely not holding my breath for Valheim to get any development at all. Play what's there and quit when you do it all is my plan. Maybe come back in a few years, this poo poo ain't changing fast.

They already made their patches first addressing network, stability, dedicated servers - the foundation - before getting into content.

Rockstar just made news in paying a modder 10k (lol) for a fix to speed up the utterly stupid and ridiculous loading times of GTA V MP. After 6 Years. So it seems Valheim devs are pretty spot on in *developing* their game properly.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, and it's possible the other guys on the team are content designers or whatever, and they're handing well developed biome/creature designs to the one guy doing the lower level implementation of that stuff, which would allow the implementation to get done relatively speedily once they decide on it.

But also

Gort posted:

Yeah, I am absolutely not holding my breath for Valheim to get any development at all. Play what's there and quit when you do it all is my plan. Maybe come back in a few years, this poo poo ain't changing fast.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

FrickenMoron posted:

Don't make pens for taming, make a deep pit with steep walls a monster cant climb. Parry the wolf next to the pit and push it into the pit. Grab a second one and repeat, now drop 20 raw meat into the pit. Set up a campfire a bit away from the pit and you can just chill and wait for a day and half.
I did this and called it the Pupper Pit :v:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
That pic of the dev team is honestly, 1000% exactly what I imagined a dev team of this game about vikings made in Sweden to be though.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I just had my first "ground is shaking" and christ, I can see why people build like they do now. Is kiting trolls an option or do I have to stay inside this circle for the event to expire?

Anyways I'm not reinforcing my camps just yet since I want to make actual progress. After continuing further along my continent I finally found my first swamp biome. After kiting along the edges of the swamp I found a narrow strip of meadow to build in... or so I thought. It's a pathetic strip of meadow bordered by the ocean, mountains, black forest, (what I assume is) plains, and the swamp.

I notice if I'm well into the meadows but a black forest is nearish and I'm exposed at night creatures will come from the black forest and attack me. That's happening here too except I also have fulings and deathsquitos so I'm gathering the same attacks happens when bordering other biomes. This meadow might actually be the worst place to build in, I was attacked from all sides. I guess I'll keep skirting the swamp and hopefully I'll find another meadow, but I might end up plopping an exposed portal down in the swamp.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

For trolls I just jump outside my base and get their attention so they stop messing up my walls. You probably only have to kill 3-4 of them before they stop. I think there is a timer but you might as well get some sweet blue hide.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Sanctum posted:

I just had my first "ground is shaking" and christ, I can see why people build like they do now. Is kiting trolls an option or do I have to stay inside this circle for the event to expire?

Anyways I'm not reinforcing my camps just yet since I want to make actual progress. After continuing further along my continent I finally found my first swamp biome. After kiting along the edges of the swamp I found a narrow strip of meadow to build in... or so I thought. It's a pathetic strip of meadow bordered by the ocean, mountains, black forest, (what I assume is) plains, and the swamp.

I notice if I'm well into the meadows but a black forest is nearish and I'm exposed at night creatures will come from the black forest and attack me. That's happening here too except I also have fulings and deathsquitos so I'm gathering the same attacks happens when bordering other biomes. This meadow might actually be the worst place to build in, I was attacked from all sides. I guess I'll keep skirting the swamp and hopefully I'll find another meadow, but I might end up plopping an exposed portal down in the swamp.

Looking at where you're at, you're probably far enough to avoid attacks from plains monsters (which are far worse than swamp ones). I have a base in a meadow with about the same proximity you have from both biomes and generally don't have issues at night so long as I stick around the main base area with at least a fire lit or something. Enemies generally don't rush into a built up area unless you wander outside and get their attention (unless it's a raid).

Edit: looks like you haven't downed the Elder yet, so yeah, I can see why even swamp enemies might be giving you a few problems.

GENUINE CAT HERDER fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 20, 2021

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Looking at where you're at, you're probably far enough to avoid attacks from plains monsters (which are far worse than swamp ones). I have a base in a meadow with about the same proximity you have from both biomes and generally don't have issues at night so long as I stick around the main base area with at least a fire lit or something. Enemies generally don't rush into a built up area unless you wander outside and get their attention (unless it's a raid).

Edit: looks like you haven't downed the Elder yet, so yeah, I can see why even swamp enemies might be giving you a few problems.
I moved as far down the strip of meadow from the plains as I could but the plains monsters simply do not give a gently caress. They kill me in 2 hits and are also destroying my new pillar house. Seems like they'll hit my supports 2-3 times and then aggro an animal and then re-aggro on my base so they never stop attacking. It takes so long to kill them and between draugrs, skeletons, and fulings I can scarcely build during daylight. They keep coming, I'm running out of core wood and had to put a portal in the incomplete house for now.

I thought about using one of the stone towers in black forest as a base, hopefully safe from trolls.

Or maybe not. This game is pretty awesome.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish a troll invasion was mandatory your first week in the Black Forest or something. By the time we got one, trolls were a joke. The one time they caused us any trouble was using a tree my buddy built his castle off of and a few parts of it collapsed

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they ever do an overhaul of the game systems I'd like to see them do looping tiers of enemies and armor tiers. Like as you push further from the center of the world you unlock Black Forest mark 2 with Red Trolls that hit harder than furlings, but you need to get to the sweet Copper 2 veins in that area. And after you work through Iron 2 and Silver 2 and Black Ore 2 you loop around again to Copper 3.

Or if everyone hates that, some kind of system that motivates people to keep pushing further out into the world and finding new stuff to conquer.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

xzzy posted:

If they ever do an overhaul of the game systems I'd like to see them do looping tiers of enemies and armor tiers. Like as you push further from the center of the world you unlock Black Forest mark 2 with Red Trolls that hit harder than furlings, but you need to get to the sweet Copper 2 veins in that area. And after you work through Iron 2 and Silver 2 and Black Ore 2 you loop around again to Copper 3.

Or if everyone hates that, some kind of system that motivates people to keep pushing further out into the world and finding new stuff to conquer.

Supposedly there is, it's just not finished yet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Encountered a sweet draugr village tonight. Came in just looking to get some new bees. Was not at all expecting what I found. Very fun experience. We think we're going to make a base out of it. The buildings are pretty cool looking.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Every single time I take my longship instead of a karve I regret it. I went sea serpent hunting and I thought surely, surely this was the one area where the longship would shine. It has the durability, the broad deck for fighting, the speed. But none of that matters because if you go too fast the abyssal harpoon line breaks and you lose the serpent anyway. It's just a fat turd of a ship that gets bogged down on every random rock that you can't see because it's a fat turd of a ship.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Sanctum posted:

I moved as far down the strip of meadow from the plains as I could but the plains monsters simply do not give a gently caress. They kill me in 2 hits and are also destroying my new pillar house. Seems like they'll hit my supports 2-3 times and then aggro an animal and then re-aggro on my base so they never stop attacking. It takes so long to kill them and between draugrs, skeletons, and fulings I can scarcely build during daylight. They keep coming, I'm running out of core wood and had to put a portal in the incomplete house for now.

Okay, I think I see the issue in this first screenshot. It looks like there's a tiny strip of plains just in view which is probably causing them to spawn. I had this same issue in an area like that one. Built a small temporary base well away from the plains, but apparently I didn't check the surroundings enough because not far off there was a tiny 10 ft^2 of plains that spawned fulings at night which promptly murdered me.

So yeah, you're gonna have to find a new building location :(

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sanctum posted:

I thought about using one of the stone towers in black forest as a base, hopefully safe from trolls.

If you're up for a challenge, you CAN build where you are, but you'll have to be creative. Things that will cause mobs to come attack you are seeing you, hearing you build, or an exposed workbench. So when I'm building in an area where the first ground break is going to be dangerous, I usually build a 4x4 floor, 8 walls, and just the roof with workbench inside. Sometimes I don't even build the door and stay in there a bit. If you stay quiet for a bit mobs wander off. Then I'll make a door, pop it open, and start building new walls around the first ones. If mobs hearing me build start coming, I duck back inside, close the door, and wait for them to leave. If they can't see you, hear you, or path to a target (bench, torch, etc.) they will eventually leave. Repair the few things they smack on, rinse and repeat. Took me forever to get a mountain cabin built like this but it does work. If you can get a portal built inside you're typically in much better shape, because you can make sure you're only building during the day.

In the end, I have a tiny house inside a medium house inside a large house, like nesting dolls. Once I feel the perimeter is secured, usually with stone as well, I'll dismantle the tiny house and eventually the medium one. It sounds mental but I like the challenge of building where I'm clearly not welcome. Just keep the workbench 100% enclosed.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 20, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sanctum posted:

Kiting trolls is pretty much the best way to deal with them unless you have iron gear or better, at which point you can just flatten them with hilarious parries and a flurry of melee attacks. All the invasions are on a timer so they will go away eventually, but even with flint-level gear you should be able to kite and shoot the trolls apart without too much trouble. They are very, very stupid and cumbersome.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Seem safe enough.

Vox Nihili posted:

Kiting trolls is pretty much the best way to deal with them unless you have iron gear or better, at which point you can just flatten them with hilarious parries and a flurry of melee attacks. All the invasions are on a timer so they will go away eventually, but even with flint-level gear you should be able to kite and shoot the trolls apart without too much trouble. They are very, very stupid and cumbersome.
Yeah I built unprotected stuff in the black forest because I'm not at all afraid of a lone troll. The troll events are worrying but I have a pallisade wall up so I'll see if that works and only bother doing more if it seems necessary.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Sanctum posted:

Do you have access to iron for a stone cutter? I would highly encourage you to dig a very shallow ditch around your base, and line the inside edge with stone to make a ha-ha. It completely defeats the AI pathing with the exception of mosquitos. Instead you get to stand inside and watch them all fight it out outside.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

VENDOR WHERE JESUS CHRIST

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

xzzy posted:

I really like this idea and think it sounds like a fun way to extend some of the current content that isn’t super heavy in terms of requiring additional design time and assets.

“Copper but better” sounds kind of meh but I’d be happy to see extended progression, and ideally they could have alternate armor sets. Maybe a cool bone set (bone + bronze) from the elite Black Forest, Dragur armor (iron+entrails?) from the swamp, obsidian armor (silver + obsidian) from the mountains, and black metal plate (black metal + needles or some poo poo) from the plains.

You could even just have it use the normal biome materials + some new widget/crafting ingredient that you add only to the drop tables for high tier zones.

gently caress it, even if it didn’t have new gear I’d love zones that are “Black Forest/Swamp/whatever but harder - but every time you gather an ore or resource node it drops twice the mats and everything hits 5x as hard.” It would give you a reason to explore the world more post-plains and provide something fun to do.

It’s definitely a bummer how fast combat gets trivialized currently- it feels like by the time you have a basic set from your current biome you absolutely dominate everything, and going back to other biomes is a total joke. On one hand I can appreciate the power curve + really getting to master poo poo that was at one time dangerous, but it makes it uninteresting to fight mobs from older biomes when they server absolutely no threat.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 20, 2021

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
why even have strict vertical progression in a sandbox survival game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The progression is actually really shallow as it is, you could pretty much skip the mountains altogether if you wanted to.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
in terms of wishlist, I wish there was some regionalization of events in the world, so that new players can catch up in an existing servers.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

PittTheElder posted:

The progression is actually really shallow as it is, you could pretty much skip the mountains altogether if you wanted to.

Not really, see without modor you can't even make any of the plains stuff

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh that's a very good point. Bonemass is actually very skipable, I forgot how critical Moder is.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

VENDOR WHERE JESUS CHRIST

I feel so spoiled. The server I joined had the trader already discovered and it was like 1km away from our stone circle.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Jackard posted:

why even have strict vertical progression in a sandbox survival game.

It's not just strict vertical progression though, there's some horizontal there based on crafting knowledge, and it's not just a sandbox survival game either, since "survival" itself is a non-issue. It's a hybrid approach that gives some survival sandbox elements, skips the hardcore survival stuff, and adds clear progression goals. It's done a good job of bridging the genres and attracting players who are fans of both. It has a bit of the world getting harder as you down bosses, but not nearly enough to make it feel like you keep needing to stay on your toes in earlier biomes, as people have pointed out. That said, if the world suddenly busted your rear end because you downed boss 5 or whatever, if you were playing on a shared server with friends who just like puttering around the meadows, that would be a great way to regularly hand them their asses for no reason. Part of the game's success is due to people of all levels being able to play together regardless of advancement, so I'd be hesitant to mess with the current layout.

It's an interesting balance and player engagement problem, made more sticky by the fact that they've managed to merge two distinct types of player into a single game, an example of whose outlooks can be seen in "deathsquitos are the worst" vs "WTF are you talking about deathsquitos don't so poo poo" argument.

I think all that's going to be needed in the end is a handful more biomes, and a change in density as you near the edges of the world. Smaller and less frequent meadows areas, more and larger mistlands or whatever, and the deep north and ashlands areas could be set up as a type of "end game" zone with unique and challenging hazards. Since there are only 5 completed (or mostly completed) biomes now there's plenty of space for them to play with the difficulty in the upcoming areas.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Mined about 100 silver and then sailed it all the way back to my base. That's like a 40 minute journey. Killed some sea serpents on my way back and now have so much stew. Still haven't even attempted the mountains boss. I wanted to get a full upgraded armor set and maybe save up enough cash to pay that fuckin trader for some ymir flesh so I can build some big hammer.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Untrustable posted:

Mined about 100 silver and then sailed it all the way back to my base. That's like a 40 minute journey. Killed some sea serpents on my way back and now have so much stew. Still haven't even attempted the mountains boss. I wanted to get a full upgraded armor set and maybe save up enough cash to pay that fuckin trader for some ymir flesh so I can build some big hammer.

The silver armor didn't seem like that much of an upgrade from iron so I just went silver sword/shield and managed to take down the mountain boss easily enough in my irons. Just bring lots of arrows, maybe a backup bow, and some good food. I don't think you need multiple silver boatloads to do it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Silvers not something you need to get tons of extra laying around since it's purely for weapons and armor that will be obsolete after a short time after the boss, but copper and iron will be used forever for decorative and base upgrade purposes, and once you beat Moder you can use the iron to make armor that's even stronger then silver.

Absolutely get 80 silver to get a fully upgraded bow and 8 silver for a fully upgraded fang spear and 2 for a lox fur cape at a minimum however, I'd just recommend setting up a forge station near the mountain so you don't have to take a long sailing trip before upgrading your items.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I want a mod that lets me train drakes to transport goods for me. Imaging having a drake drop off a bunch of iron at your main HQ and then going to roost in the nest made of greydwarf trophies.