Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

BTW, in case anyone else doesn't know yet, Chamberlain Whisper Drive Garage Door Opener is 11/10. Installed 2013 and still going strong (and quiet!)

E: ugh, lovely snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Why in the hell aren't wall mounted openers aren't more popular?

Cost, I'd imagine. Looking quickly, you can get an overhead chain drive for $130, and the cheapest wall mounted is over $400.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
There's also the benefit that an overhead system works on pretty much any garage door from a solid one-piece with linear springs to a multi-segment with a torsion spring and rarely needs modification or any space that wasn't already required for the door to open. Plus they can quickly be detached to operate the door manually during a power outage.*

*The only wall mounted openers I've used were on commercial roll-up doors with a chain fall to operate them manually. If this is not how residential openers work I retract this statement.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
garage door opener: is a genie thats been faithfully working since 1994ish? - I don't use it anymore, I have the garage on hand operation only, because its pretty much open all day every day - its a long driveway with detached garage. I'm planning on building a carriage style bi folding door with windows soon

Digi calipers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSDP3W7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
definately cheap, but better than HF and all metal body - I bought it a few weeks before covid struck, use it at least 3-5x a week - battery still holding up - I wouldn't trust them for super critical stuff but does well enough for me.

non digi: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N8N64Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
these really should cost a lot more than they do, these are super awesome and really really well made.. also, learning to read a non digital calipers was super helpful

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Cat Hatter posted:

There's also the benefit that an overhead system works on pretty much any garage door from a solid one-piece with linear springs to a multi-segment with a torsion spring and rarely needs modification or any space that wasn't already required for the door to open. Plus they can quickly be detached to operate the door manually during a power outage.*

*The only wall mounted openers I've used were on commercial roll-up doors with a chain fall to operate them manually. If this is not how residential openers work I retract this statement.

From what I've seen, there's no chain fall, but there is a pull cord that disconnects the torsion tube from the motor, allowing the door to be pulled up like a manually operated door.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LobsterboyX posted:

garage door opener: is a genie thats been faithfully working since 1994ish? - I don't use it anymore, I have the garage on hand operation only, because its pretty much open all day every day - its a long driveway with detached garage. I'm planning on building a carriage style bi folding door with windows soon

Digi calipers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSDP3W7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
definately cheap, but better than HF and all metal body - I bought it a few weeks before covid struck, use it at least 3-5x a week - battery still holding up - I wouldn't trust them for super critical stuff but does well enough for me.

non digi: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000N8N64Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
these really should cost a lot more than they do, these are super awesome and really really well made.. also, learning to read a non digital calipers was super helpful

Dial calipers are almost as easy to read as digitals, and I've seen Mitutoyo go on sale for as cheap as $60.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Now that's an extension cord:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Now that's an extension cord:

On top of a yellow HF Mechanic’s tool cart too I think. Very nice.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nailed it! The color coordination was inadvertant, but I did like how it looked.

I also definitely feel some conflict, because all my power tools are NOT yellow and black :D

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Nailed it! The color coordination was inadvertant, but I did like how it looked.

I also definitely feel some conflict, because all my power tools are NOT yellow and black :D

I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t bought tools I already had for similar reasons. I’m trying to stick to save up for a QuickJack now though, so I got to let it slide.

For content. Check out my color coordination:

Big thanks to whoever mentioned Sheldon Brown’s method a few pages back. Electrical tape worked for most things, but there were some it just wasn’t going to for me. With that the one thing I’d say is just get some Testors if you’re going to paint. I scrapped the colors together for this with a mix of things, but I’m going to the local hobby shop and doing it right for once and for all. I might just get a Porsche 996 kit while I’m at it too.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's time to accept that I actually enjoy mowing the lawn.

Then I can justify the excitement that Lowes now carries Ego and I now have a carbon fiber weed whacker that was on sale. It's miles ahead of the corded electric one I kept using until it finally broke.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Why would anyone do drugs when they can just mow a lawn?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Porque no los dos?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Shaking hands with danger!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been using a reel mower for about five years, but I think I'm going to get my mom an electric mower (she can't handle a pull start) and steal her gas mower at the same time. I'm too lazy and let the grass grow too long for the reel mower to handle it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

Why would anyone do drugs when they can just mow a lawn?

you run out of lawn to mow much sooner than running out of drugs?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

BraveUlysses posted:

you run out of lawn to mow much sooner than running out of drugs?

both problems solved by moving out in the boonies

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

both problems solved by moving out in the boonies

:golfclap:

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Im looking to get an ODB2 reader, and I've come across AndrOBD on the F-Droid app store that is a BT connector to a ELM327 adaptor. Given most adapters are $30 as opposed to $70 - $100 for standalone ODB2 readers, it seems like a good purchase (plus more user friendly too I imagine?).

Anyone know about any problems with these or things to consider? I just want to be able to read my codes and clear them if needed.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yes, I see a problem: that app looks to be super old and unsupported.

Get Torque instead:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Get Torque and a no-name bluetooth OBD2 reader off eBay for $5. I'm on my second (first got stolen off a desk) and I've had no problems. I used to double check with a Snap-On reader owned by the shop but it never found anything my cheapo didn't.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I've found Torque to be rather old and creaky, I've had success with Car Scanner, it's more modern and quite a bit more capable.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do any of these apps expose more data than others? I'm fighting with the EGR circuit and Torque doesn't show the requested/actual positions so it's a pain in the rear end to debug.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Kafouille posted:

I've found Torque to be rather old and creaky, I've had success with Car Scanner, it's more modern and quite a bit more capable.

That app has worked pretty well for me too.

I've saved (other people) thousands with my little dongle and a couple apps, everyone should get one!

I got mine to spy on my car's battery status.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Any recommendations for general purpose work gloves for guys with short fingers?

All of the usual brands (Mechanix, HFT, etc) have fingers that are way too long for me, which makes fine work really difficult. If I go down a size, they’re way too tight.

This is more for woodworking, but I figured that this would be the best place to ask.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I just buy those 20 pack nitrile fabric gloves now cus I keep losing my mechanix until I don't need em.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have a bunch of cheap fabric/reubber cut resistant gloves because I find they are better in terms of bulk and tactility than the Mechanix style gloves.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Don't forget you can wash most dipped gloves too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

You can but I usually end up shredding the dipping off the fingers before I have a need to wash them.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

I mean, you can wring out paper towels and use them again, too...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's a great comparison.... other than the part that the gloves are literally meant to be laundered complete with manufacturer washing instructions.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You can but I usually end up shredding the dipping off the fingers before I have a need to wash them.
I'm pretty hard on mine too, but I've only "worn out" a couple pair. Not sure what brand you use? I find Ansells are probably the least durable but Superior and Watsons do well. Not sure if they're available in your area.

E: Just to be clear, they can't be laundered indefinitely, I find 3-4 times before the dipping starts to come off.ymmv.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 27, 2021

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

That's a great comparison.... other than the part that the gloves are literally meant to be laundered complete with manufacturer washing instructions.

I'm pretty hard on mine too, but I've only "worn out" a couple pair. Not sure what brand you use? I find Ansells are probably the least durable but Superior and Watsons do well. Not sure if they're available in your area.

E: Just to be clear, they can't be laundered indefinitely, I find 3-4 times before the dipping starts to come off.ymmv.

Maybe we're talking about different gloves or have very different ideas of "needs to be washed". I was talking about the ones that are paper thin woven lycra and the fingers/palm are dipped. I've never had a pair that was dirty enough to need to be washed (not just rinsed off) that was worth keeping. Hydraulic fluid, oil, and grease softens the dipping and mine are usually torn in several places by the time they're "dirty". Plus, they're like $.50 a pair in bulk.

I'm talking about these: https://www.homedepot.com/p/FIRM-GRIP-Nitrile-Coated-Gloves-10-Pair-5510-16/203423243

Not these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007VR8U6G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_AYT494SCRNQ3BXNSX6XV

The atlas gloves are what I wore when I worked on fishing boats for handling traps and bait. They're like $4, and absolutely can get washed. I wrote the Thermal Fit version (https://fishermansheadquarters.com/atlas-451-therma-fit-glove/) in the winter, when I couldn't wear the full on insulated "Fisherman's gloves" like these:https://fishermansheadquarters.com/atlas-460-insulated-glove/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, I'm on the same page. Cheap dipped gloves that aren't quite disposable immediately, but aren't worth taking any special effort to prolong the life of.

I'll grab nitrile gloves for jobs like oil changes or fuel systems, so I'm avoiding anything that's truly going to soak through the dipped gloves.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My go to cheaped dipped are gloves like these:

https://www.superiorglove.com/en/dexterity-fine-gauge-nylon-string-knit-with-pvc-palm-coating
https://www.superiorglove.com/en/productattachments/index/download?id=1231

e: Linked the wrong ones but close enough

That said, most can be laundered, just a cold delicate. Great if they're just "dirty" - not so much coated with grease. Just turf them, they really don't cost much.

A lot of people don't even think of washing their gloves, even leather mechanix-type can be washed. Easy way to get more life out of them in case they get too disgusting.

I use true disposables (nitrile/vinyl) when I'm doing the work where I know they're going to get ugly, like doing to drain plug on oil, scooping grease around, etc. Otherwise, gloves like the above are fantastic and if you get good fitting ones have super good dexterity and I find I don't even use the mechanix-type with back of hand most of the time anymore. The dexterity of the dipped glove is really nice and don't tear like the disposables.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 27, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I am hesitant to wash anything that's "mechanic dirty" in the same machine my wife's clothes go in. I haven't washed anything that bad in there in a while, when I do I put in a buffer load afterwords of work clothes and towels just in case.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just wash them by hand in the sink, but a washing machine is do-able.

Some of the shops around here have a "shop" washing machine for things like this, or uniforms if they don't use a service.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

I use the same ones or like a brand X version, they're good

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

I just wash them by hand in the sink, but a washing machine is do-able.

Some of the shops around here have a "shop" washing machine for things like this, or uniforms if they don't use a service.

I use simple green and water in a 5 gal bucket and I agitate it with a huge paint mixer drill attachment.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i got a slide hammer, hub pullers, and a screw-drive bearing press with cup set in the mail and am just waiting on parts to do my first bearing change. hopefully I don't kill my car's front suspension

e: i also still need to beg borrow or buy a jack and a breaker bar. is there any reason to not get a harbor freight 1/2" drive bar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nope, I've been using HF and Farm and Fleet breaker bars without issue.