Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Bust Rodd posted:

Also Cap might have left him some money

Cap left them all his Apple stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Everyone posted:

Not that explicitly. The closest I recall was in Civil War with Tony giving Peter a "badly needed upgrade." In terms of "We have to pay these bills or we lose the house" it hasn't been much of a thing. Maybe with the Vulture in Homecoming, but as real world thing, not really. So I kind of liked that part.

Captain America posted:

I don't think I can afford a place in Brooklyn.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Doens't Torres say The Flag Smashers think the world was better before the Blip, I've been seeing that they're discribed as wanting to get rid of boarders, and even in the comics isn't their goal to destroy all governments so only the strong rule or something? It's been decades since i read anything involving them. Like its not a progressive idea of free movement and breaking down international barriers, its more libertarianism

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

there is like, absolutely no way that Sam (and every Avenger/Avenger adjacent person) wouldn’t have a fairly comfortable amount of money/a generous expense account. They’re all on-call deep state government assets on retainer, probably the most valuable ones short of like, the actual nuclear Arsenal. they have exclusive use specialized proprietary equipment that it has been made repeatedly clear to us that the government sees as Their property, and they keep that poo poo at their house. It doesn’t take being Nick Fury to know that those guys have expense accounts and a generous salary, it’s to protect your assets.

that’s just to say that it kind of took me out of what was otherwise a well written and acted scene. it’d be one thing if Sam couldn’t afford his sister’s million dollar cancer treatments, but the idea that he couldn’t even co-sign on a small town debt consolidation loan is absurd. you don’t need Pepper money for that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
He was a fugitive that broke out of prison before he was blipped and they make a point of saying he had no income during those 5 years. I don’t think Sam is in danger of being homeless or anything, but he’s clearly not loaded. Even before all of this poo poo he was just a VA counselor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sam even says he has a government contract to prove income.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

twistedmentat posted:

Doens't Torres say The Flag Smashers think the world was better before the Blip, I've been seeing that they're discribed as wanting to get rid of boarders, and even in the comics isn't their goal to destroy all governments so only the strong rule or something? It's been decades since i read anything involving them. Like its not a progressive idea of free movement and breaking down international barriers, its more libertarianism

The comic Flag Smasher is explicitly an anti-patriot, that's his politics. They just believe in the eradication of nationalism and jingoism, not as anarchists trying to throw out governments but the countries that exist. They are not Libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalists.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I assumed that during the Stark era, he provided housing at the HQ, access to cars and stuff and probably a credit card for incidentals, like if they need a new pair of shoes, buying lunch and so on. They don't have what is probably tens of thousands of dollars on hand to bail out their families business.

Lid posted:

The comic Flag Smasher is explicitly an anti-patriot, that's his politics. They just believe in the eradication of nationalism and jingoism, not as anarchists trying to throw out governments but the countries that exist. They are not Libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalists.

Wait, then why are they the bad guys?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

yeah, that would be enough. especially since he’s presumably just co-signing, his sister didn’t get blipped and does have 5 years of records. the idea that banks aren’t loaning out on the basis of no blip history is the sort of thing that’s provocative but doesn’t hold up at all. so upon losing out on 50% of all their revenue, the banks have decided it’s in their best interest to continue not capitalizing on that 50% once it’s again made available to them? a 50% that’s in complete disarray and will be chomping at the bit to put up assets signing loans with terrible high interest rates due to “risk” in desperation to restore the lifestyle they lost (from their perspective) seemingly overnight? come on. they couldn’t give Sam a loan fast enough, they’d give him the pen for free

anyway this is just autistic nitpicking, enjoyed the show overall

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I assumed that during the Stark era, he provided housing at the HQ, access to cars and stuff and probably a credit card for incidentals, like if they need a new pair of shoes, buying lunch and so on. They don't have what is probably tens of thousands of dollars on hand to bail out their families business.

Its less their motives and more the fact they use questionable means such as terrorism to achieve said means.

Also comic Flag Smashers tend to get duped by Hydra or other actually evil organizations regularly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Technowolf posted:

Its less their motives and more the fact they use questionable means such as terrorism to achieve said means.

Also comic Flag Smashers tend to get duped by Hydra or other actually evil organizations regularly.

So like if someone hated Capitalism and went around blowing up mcdonalds with their minimum wage employees inside?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

So like if someone hated Capitalism and went around blowing up mcdonalds with their minimum wage employees inside?

And was also secretly funded by the Proud Boys.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

twistedmentat posted:

:iiam:

The real reason is they were created during the Cold War when patriotism, nationalism and jingoism were all tied together in a bow and thus clearly they were bad.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ew3fWI8XMAA4nk4?format=jpg&name=900x900

Lid fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 19, 2021

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Since when has Space Ghost been part of the Marvel universe?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
MCU Villain Flag Smasher

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Klungar posted:

Since when has Space Ghost been part of the Marvel universe?

I feel like from what little I know of Rom, he would fit comfortably alongside Space Ghost

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

twistedmentat posted:

Doens't Torres say The Flag Smashers think the world was better before the Blip,

No, he says the Flag Smashers thought the world was better during the blip.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No, he says the Flag Smashers thought the world was better during the blip.

Correction "they're called the flag smashers, they think life was better during the blip, they want a world that's unified without borders" Where the middle part has nothing to do with the ending part and thus again Flag Smasher is Right.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Did Bucky pick an apartment based on its proximity to Nakajima? Or is it just a happy coincidence that one of the people he needs to make amends to is one of his neighbors?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Unclear.

I liked how he just bailed on sexy chef lady, he was seeming a bit too charming and normal before that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My only two comments:

1) Much better than expected. It will be interesting to see where the threads of "mysterious source of powers" and US Agent go. Or if there are some other hooks.

It still seems like a really self-contained story, so I'm curious where the "lead in to major MCU changes" could come from. The show feels so much like an obvious setup for Falcon to become Captain America that I have to think it is a fake out and ends with him rejecting being Captain America to be himself.

2) Batroc the Leaper and Crossbones are now among the most-used villains in the MCU, lol.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 19, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
either way it hasn't happened yet but i'm bracing for the cogs to click into place and people to realise this episode features cold blooded gun murder of an Asian-American by one of the heroes and the having to explain this was filmed literally years ago but fuuuuuuck

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I’m sure he has tons and tons of people to make good with, in the Marvel universe revolves around New York City.

It makes perfect sense that a bank loan isn’t available after the blip, banks spent five years readjusting and re-capitalizing, probably with larger loans to fewer people to do more rebuilding. Even three months later, a lot of that money is tied up, and the loan officer is allowed leeway but the bank policy is set by people above his station.

Although yeah, we are meant to wonder if race as a factor here.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Lid posted:

either way it hasn't happened yet but i'm bracing for the cogs to click into place and people to realise this episode features cold blooded gun murder of an Asian-American by one of the heroes and the having to explain this was filmed literally years ago but fuuuuuuck
Ehh, unless you're talking about people who will literally feign outrage for the sake of outrage, audiences are smarter than that. They get it. The "hero" was brainwashed by bad guys and spends much of the episode trying to amend for it. It's unfortunate imagery this week, but no one's coming away from the episode thinking it was anti-Asian or something.

[obligatory "I'm Asian" before some white person comes and tells me off about this]

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BrianWilly posted:

Ehh, unless you're talking about people who will literally feign outrage for the sake of outrage, audiences are smarter than that. They get it. The "hero" was brainwashed by bad guys and spends much of the episode trying to amend for it. It's unfortunate imagery this week, but no one's coming away from the episode thinking it was anti-Asian or something.

[obligatory "I'm Asian" before some white person comes and tells me off about this]

Yeah, I came away from this episode thinking it was timely in a good way. Yeah, Bucky killed that one guy, but it's shown as unreservedly bad, and we're shown the human consequences of that murder.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Gaz-L posted:

The bank was being racist.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spacebump posted:

This was reasonably clear yeah even if not in a jim crow kind of way

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I only just realised is that Flagsmasher is them putting #ThanosWasRight as villains.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Having an Avengers level operator vulnerable to basic financial extortion seems outrageously bad OpSec. What good is having these people around if they are so broke any oligarch could just turn Hawkeye into a mercenary?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It could also be the 9/12 movement, the idea that crisis is an inherently valuable thing to human society.

I mean, the MCU hasn’t touched on the environmental factors of 50% of everything going away, which could mean “less environmental degradation“ or “several food chains are unfixably broken now”. The question is how Comic Book they want to get with everything.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Spacebump posted:

It was definitely meant to show modern liberal institutional racism. Which contrasted nicely with how on the surface not racist the banker was. Like the whole financial instability of Sam's sister dates all the way back to how difficult it was for their parents to amass any kind of wealth at all. It makes a lot sense for her to be mad at Sam for, in her mind, running away to play hero, instead staying home and trying to keep everything afloat.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Thundercracker posted:

It was definitely meant to show modern liberal institutional racism. Which contrasted nicely with how on the surface not racist the banker was. Like the whole financial instability of Sam's sister dates all the way back to how difficult it was for their parents to amass any kind of wealth at all. It makes a lot sense for her to be mad at Sam for, in her mind, running away to play hero, instead staying home and trying to keep everything afloat.

I'd argue he was racist on the surface as well. He starts the meeting by asking Sam if he played football for LSU. Sam has to be one of the most famous people on the planet.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Spacebump posted:

I'd argue he was racist on the surface as well. He starts the meeting by asking Sam if he played football for LSU. Sam has to be one of the most famous people on the planet.

Hah, good catch. It's like his mind immediately went to "where have I seem this fit black man"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

twistedmentat posted:

The Flag Smashers want to tackle the problem of nationalism in the same way Frank Castle wants to tackle the problem of urban crime.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
FATWS good

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
What if the reasons for the racism storyline combined with Flagsmasher is that in this universe the head Flagsmasher is this universes proxy for Isiah Bradley/Josiah X and that they "hate" patriotism and America because of the abuses of the Weapon X project to need another Captain America to the detriment of black people and how they abused them/their father?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

Hah, good catch. It's like his mind immediately went to "where have I seem this fit black man"

There is also a mix of mega-conglomeration going on because Falcon's sister points out these people didn't know our family. The bank is a bunch of outsiders who don't care about the community.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Spellman running this clearly gives them an upper hand over Wandavision. But both Bucky and Falcon being duel protagonists just makes for more visually interesting stories (and more complex ones because they're clearly bringing in race issues and so far are handling it with far more than just, (love grief while I'm busy mind raping everyone and we're supposed to feel sorry for me.) With the winter solider dream, they're already handling the morality of Winter Solider far more coherently than Wandavision handled her abuses because of grief.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Motion to refer to this show as CAPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Someone make a "My name is Bucky" red stamp font and superimpose Sebastian Stan's face onto Jason Lee's body.